Howard W. Covington '37
In the sixty years that Davidson has been his College, this son of the Sand Hills has served alma mater with flair and distinction. In 1933, no student more quickly learned his way around the "D". Member of the Davidsonian business staff and Eumenean, brother of Phi Delta Theta, class officer and representative on the student council, he made friends for a lifetime and forged a bond with Davidson that has withstood time's every test.
As Visitor, Trustee, Reunion Chairman, Alumni Chapter President, Annual Fund Class Chairman, Athletic Foundation Director, Parents Council member, Regional Chair for The Campaign for Davidson, he has proven a versatile, generous, and resilient alumnus. Five presidents have asked for his help--who knows what task a sixth will put before him!
- Because you, like Chalmers Davidson, believe that "Davidson is a way of life, based on things of the mind, tempered by manners and morality"
- Because three generations of your family are sons and daughters of Davidson
- Because you have unselfishly volunteered for jobs big and small
- Because you have generously provided for our students and faculty
- Because the great Centennial Class of 1937 has looked to you for spirited leadership
- Because even the alumni titans of Greensboro know your shadow
- Because you are the measure of a lifetime's service to alma mater
The Alumni Association, on February 13, 1995, proudly presents you, Howard Wall Covington, its Alumni Service Award.