A majority of the residence hall rooms available to students during the room selection process are double rooms* or rooms within a Tomlinson or Duke suite. Students who wish to select a double room or suite, and those students who were not able to select a room earlier in the room selection process will choose a room during this final phase of Housing Lottery (see Lottery Timeline).
* Note - A small number of triple rooms are available on campus on 4th Belk and 2nd Duke. These rooms are assigned according to lottery number order. If you are part of a group that is interested in living in a triple room, complete the Triple Room Application and e-mail the completed form to Debby Harrison (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note the following information with regard to Double / Suite Selection:
- In order to choose a double or suite room, students MUST have a roommate.
- Roommates total their lottery numbers to determine their lottery selection number.
- Roommate pairs should arrive at room selection during the appropriate time slot on selection night (see Room Selection Schedule for time slots).
- Students with the lowest selection number will choose their rooms first.
- If two or more roommate pairs have the same totals, then the pair with the lowest individual number will be accommodated first.
- Late arrivals will select rooms at the beginning of the next time slot.
Students who are not able to attend Room Selection for any reason must assign a Proxy to select the room for them. In order to select a room, the Proxy must bring a completed Lottery Absentee Form.
Students Without a Roommate
If you do not have a roommate and are having difficulty finding one before Room Selection, you can visit the Residence Life Office. RLO will maintain a list of students seeking roommates. Fill out a Roommate Inquiry Form in order to be added to the list. Check with your Resident Advisor or Hall Counselor to see if they know of other students looking for a roommate.
At the time of room selection, students without roommates will be placed on a Waitlist in lottery number order and will be placed in a room with a roommate at a later date.
Students who are going through Double / Suite Selection may choose to cluster in groups of 4. Clusters will be required to select 2 double rooms on the same floor or all spaces within a suite, unless none are available at the time their group is selecting. In order to determine their cluster's lottery number, the four individual lottery numbers are added together, and the total is divided by 2. This number is then used to determine when room selection will occur for the group. Remember - groups must arrive during the appropriate time slot according to the Selection Schedule.
Clusters in Irwin, Akers, and Knox may include a combination of single and double rooms. and will be chosen on the first selection night.
Please Note - Individual rooms and suites must be occupied by people of the same gender. Co-ed bedrooms and suites are not allowed.
Back to Lottery Homepage