Marcus Dean Haney, Jr. ’27
Langdon Chevis Hubbard Jr. ’30
Paul McClanahan ’37
Dr. Albert L. Ingram, Jr. ’38
P. Bailey Williams ’38
Joseph John Summerell ’39
Charles M. Mashburn, Jr. ’40
James Anderson “Bubba” Dunlap ’41
John Lucas Armistead, Jr. ’44
William Badger Newell, Sr. ’45
John T. “Jack” Bagley ’46
Samuel Rosler “Sam” Kimrey ’48
Millard Winston Wester, Jr. ’48
James Preston Brown, Jr. ’49
Randolph Garland (Randy) Ensign ’49
John F. McNair III ’49
Arthur Davis “Buster” Plowden Jr. ’49
Cameron Faison, Sr. ’50
William Clark Little, Jr. ’50
John “Peter” Walton Ormsby ’53
Garland E. Still ’53
John E. Kepler ’60
David S. Breiten ’63
James Thomas Grey ’65
Howard Odell Morris Jr. ’65
John Russell Folger III ’79
Dennis Roy Swearengin ’84
Renita G. Durant Riley ’96
Marcus Dean Haney, Jr. ’27 of Denver, N.C., and formerly of Charlotte, died October 13, 2005. He was employed by E.I. DuPont Organic Chemicals Division in Charlotte for forty-one years and retired in 1967. He was a lifelong charter member of Selwyn Avenue Presbyterian Church where he served as an elder and a deacon. His wife of seventy-three years, Margaret Porter Haney, died in 2003. Survivors include three sons, Marcus D. Haney, III and his wife, Christie, of Pittsburgh, Pa.; Don Haney and his wife, Dottie, of Weeki Wachee, Fla., and Sky Valley, Ga.; and Jerry P. Haney and his wife, Judy, 2800 Cherry Ln., Denver, N.C. 28037; ten grandchildren and nineteen great grandchildren.
Langdon Chevis Hubbard Jr. ’30 of Lenoir, N.C., died September 15, 2005. He attended Davidson and graduated from North Carolina State University. He worked for the North Carolina Department of Highways prior to World War II, then served in the U.S. Navy, achieving the rank of lieutenant commander. As a naval engineer, he directed the installation of radar on battleships, including the USS Missouri. He worked as an electronic engineer for Western Electric until his retirement in 1974. After his retirement, he served with his wife as houseparents at Grandfather Home for Children in Banner Elk where he was also ordained as an elder at Banner Elk Presbyterian Church and taught Sunday school there. He and his wife later became resident managers of Chateaux Cloud Club Condominiums in Blowing Rock, where they worked for 13 years. Following his wife’s death in 1993, Mr. Hubbard fulfilled a lifelong dream of becoming a writer. Until his death, he self-published three books of poetry, short stories, humor and Bible studies, two of which were written as a resident of Lenoir Park (assisted living). Recently his church, United Presbyterian Church of Lenoir, published a compilation of his poetry, entitled “Songs of a Faithful Heart,” which includes several poems written during the last two years in which he resided at Shaire Center. Mr. Hubbard was known for his deep Christian faith and compassionate nature. At Lenoir Park and Shaire Center he was significantly involved in Bible study and daily devotions and served as president of the residents councils in both facilities. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Margaret Ann Thompson. Survivors include his sister, Leila Hubbard Morrison; two daughters, Betty Chase of Southport, N.C., and Frances Propst, 100 Wellington Ct., Lenoir, N.C. 28645; a son, The Rev. Langdon C. Hubbard III of Buffalo, N.Y.; seven grandchildren, Susan Chase, William B. Chase, Michael Chase, Brian Propst, David Propst, Bethany Hubbard, and Dan Hubbard; and four great-grandchildren, Michael William Chase, Brandon Chase, Kayla Propst, and Logan Chase. He is also survived by a cousin, Margaret Hubbard Townsend of Chevy Chase, Md. and a nephew, Lou Knight of Chesapeake, Va.
Paul McClanahan ’37, who was raised in Egypt by Presbyterian missionary parents, then served as a Presbyterian Church (USA) missionary in Egypt for almost 30 years, died on April 27 at a hospice in Lakeland, Fla. After growing up in Luxor, Egypt, he graduated from the College of Wooster in Ohio and Union Theological Seminary in New York. Returning to Egypt, he was president of Assyut College from the mid-1940s until 1968. He then served as a professor at Monmouth (N.J.) College until his retirement in the late 1970s. He is survived by his wife, Ruth Kempton McClanahan, 909 S Lakeside Ave Apt. 207, Lakeland, Fla. 33803-1031; and four children.
Dr. Albert L. Ingram, Jr. ’38 of Rutherfordton, N.C., died July 27, 2005. After graduation from Davidson, he completed University of Maryland Medical School and immediately enlisted in the U.S. Navy. He served aboard the destroyer USS Upshur in the North Atlantic during World War II as a lieutenant in the naval reserve. He was a psychiatrist who established the first private psychiatric practice in the state of Delaware and practiced there for 15 years. He then moved to Pennsylvania State University where he served as university psychiatrist and directed the university health services. Returning to Delaware, Dr. Ingram was commissioner of mental health and served as the state’s first secretary of health and social services. Later, he returned to Penn State as director of its mental health center. In 1979, he became clinical director of the Rutherford-Polk Area Mental Health/Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Program, remaining in that role until 1984. In retirement, he continued to serve as a consultant to the program. During his career, he also served as assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia and as a consultant to a wide variety of organizations. He was the first president of the Delaware Psychiatric Society and a Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, which also honored him with a Distinguished Service Award. He is survived by his wife, Margaret S. Ingram, 354 Fairforest Drive, Rutherfordton, N.C. 28139; daughters Bonnie I. Pooley of Bethel, Maine, and Patricia I. Harris of Marmora, N.J.; a son, Albert L. Ingram III of Kent, Ohio; four grandchildren: Kenneth T. Pooley ’85 of Lookout Mountain, Ga., Brian N. Trostle of Palermo, N.J., Jo Ann Trostle of Woodland Hills, Calif., and Stephanie C. Ingram of Kent, Ohio; and two great-grandchildren, Mackenzie and Channing of Lookout Mountain, Ga.
P. Bailey Williams ’38 of Laurens, S.C., died September 15, 2005. At Davidson, he was chosen in his junior year as a member of Omicron Delta Kappa leadership fraternity and was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. While at Darlington School, he lettered in four sports. At Davidson College he lettered three years in football and served as captain of his team senior year. He lettered in track and was nationally ranked in the discus throw, and was to represent the U.S. in the coming Olympics in 1940, but was unable to due to World War II. He was All Southern Conference, All State and All American in football. After graduation, he served as a line coach under Walter Johnson at Presbyterian College. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps and was stationed at Randolph Field, Texas, where he played and coached the Armed Service National Championship team. He served in the Pacific Theater and was with the occupation forces in Japan. He was honorably discharged as a captain. He was co-owner and vice president of H.L. Roper and Co. until his retirement. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Laurens, where he served as a deacon. He is survived by his wife of fifty-eight years, Ellen Gray Nicholson Williams, 773 W. Main St., Laurens, S.C. 29360; sons, Shepard N. Williams, T. Yancey Williams and Pringle Bailey Williams. He is also survived by five granddaughters, Frances W. Richards, Rebecca C. Williams, Ellen N. Williams, Kendall D. Williams, and Anndel K. Williams; and a great-grandson, Lucas Garrison Richards. He is also survived by a number of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by an infant brother, Thomas Yancey Williams; two sisters, Frances W. Arthur and Rose W. Wilkinson; and an adult brother, D. Reece Williams Jr.
Joseph John Summerell ’39 died October 24, 2005, at home in Raleigh, N.C. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1941 to1945, ending his naval career at the rank of lieutenant commander of the minesweeper USS Measure. He was employed by Superior Stone Company for more than thirty years. He was a member of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Salisbury and served in many capacities with the church, including senior warden. He was a member of the Salisbury Rotary Club, and served as its president for several terms. Several years after moving to Raleigh in 1975, he retired from the stone business and went into business with his brother, Howard Summerell, to form Virginia-Carolina Controls. He was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in Raleigh and the Milburnie Fishing Club. His wife, Berta Allen Russ Summerell, died in November 1998. He was also preceded in death by his brother, Howard Mitchell Summerell ’36 of Richmond, Va. He is survived by a sister, Nancy Lee Summerell Kitchin, of Wake Forest, N.C., as well as three children: Berta Allen Summerell Hamilton ’78 and husband Frank Hamilton ’77, of 2818 Hydrangea Pl.,Wilmington, N.C.; J.J.Summerell, Jr. ’80, and wife, Virginia Robertson Summerell ’80, of Greensboro, N.C.; and William Russ Summerell ’85 of Roatan, Honduras. He also has five grandchildren: Anna Summerell Hamilton ’08 and William Ritter Hamilton, of Wilmington; and Amelia Mitchell Summerell, Lee McGowan Summerell, and Joseph John Summerell of Greensboro.
Charles M. Mashburn, Jr. ’40 of Atlanta, Ga., died October 23, 2005. He was a graduate of Darlington School in Rome, Ga. and Davidson, graduating cum laude. Two days after graduating from Davidson he joined Delta Air Lines where he remained for forty-five years, retiring in 1985 with the title of staff manager for marketing. He was a lifelong member of the Presbyterian Church, serving as an elder for many years. He was a veteran of World War II and participated in the battle of Sicily and Anzio. He was wounded three times and received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart with two clusters. He is survived by his wife of fifty-six years, Sybil Moore Mashburn, 1822 Bedfordshire Dr., Decatur, Ga. 30033; his daughter, Nancy Mashburn-Reilley; grandson, Christopher Mashburn; and son-in-law Michael Reilley.
James Anderson “Bubba” Dunlap ’41, of Gainesville, Ga., died of Parkinson’s Disease on September 29, 2005. He attended Davidson College and the University of Georgia School of Law, graduating Phi Beta Kappa. He served as a captain in the Sixth Cavalry Regiment (regular army), which was assigned to the 3rd Army under Gen. George S. Patton, participated in the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge, and was awarded the Bronze Star. He served as a civilian aide to the Secretary of the Army during the Truman and Eisenhower administrations. He began practicing law in 1946 with his father’s firm and continued to practice law in the firm of Whelchel & Dunlap (formerly Whelchel, Dunlap and Gignilliat) until becoming “Of Counsel” in the mid nineties. He was a member of the American Law Institute and a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He served on the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, and as its chair. He was the Hall County attorney in the fifties and sixties, counsel to Northeast Georgia Medical Center for forty-five years, a member of the Board of Visitors for the University of Georgia Law School, a trustee of The University of Georgia Foundation, and a lifelong member of the Gainesville Rotary Club. He was instrumental in the establishment of Gainesville Junior College (now Gainesville College), the state’s first community college/technical center, the construction of I-985 connecting Gainesville to Atlanta and the donation by Johnson & Johnson of the 3,000 acre Chicopee Woods and the establishment of the Elachee Nature Science Center. Mr. Dunlap was a founding director of Home Federal Savings and Loan Association of Gainesville (now SunTrust Bank) and a founding director and shareholder of the AM (WDUN) and FM (formerly WWID) radio stations in Northeast Georgia, and the Gainesville/Hall County cable television system. He is survived by his wife of fifty-seven years, Mary Eleanor Hosch Dunlap, 3800 Hardy Rd., Gainesville, Ga. 30506; his four children, Edgar Brown Dunlap, II ’71, James Anderson Dunlap, Jr., Dr. Nancy Dunlap Johns, and Eleanor Dunlap Henderson ; and eight grandchildren.
John Lucas Armistead, Jr. ’44 of Charlotte, N.C., died Oct. 24, 2005. He attended UNC Chapel Hill until he was called into service after Pearl Harbor. He served in the U.S. Army as an infantry instructor at Fort Benning, Ga., and in the Pacific Theatre during World War II. After the war, he moved to Charlotte and joined the Prudential Life Insurance Company. He was recalled from the inactive reserves and served in Korea for two years. He moved to Burlington, N.C., where he was in sales with Old Dominion Box Company. When Weyerhaeuser Corporation purchased Old Dominion, later Carolina Paperboard, he relocated to Charlotte, N.C., and later was instrumental in working with Carolina Paperboard to form Atlantic Coast Carton Company and was elected president. Atlantic Coast Carton Company later became part of Caraustar Industries. He was elected to serve on the original Board of Directors of Caraustar serving in both capacities until his retirement in 1988. Mr. Armistead was a member of Christ Episcopal Church and a Cub Scout leader. He was past president of the West Charlotte Rotary Club and past president of the Charlotte Executive Club. He was past chairman of the Adult Rehabilitation Council of the Salvation Army. In 1999, he was named a life member of the Salvation Army Advisory Board. He is survived by his wife of sixty years, Mary D. Heywood Armistead, 7113 Cypress Creek Ln., Charlotte, N.C. 28201; his daughter, Susan Heywood Armistead; a son, John Lucas Armistead, III; daughter-in-law, Julie Hancock Armistead; a grandson, John Lucas Armistead, IV; and two granddaughters, Margaret McCrory Armistead and Catherine Heywood Armistead, all of Charlotte.
William Badger Newell, Sr. ’45 of Charlotte, died August 17, 2005. He graduated from Duke University with a bachelor’s degree in engineering. While at Duke, he played on the football team and was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was an active member of Myers Park United Methodist Church where he served as head usher, treasurer of the Luther Snyder Sunday School class, and volunteer with the Charlotte Homeless Shelter and Meals on Wheels. He had a passion for sports, especially golf, Duke football and basketball, and was actively involved in Little League Baseball where he ran the concession stand at numerous ballparks. Survivors include his wife, Eleanor M. Newell, 3420 Shamrock Dr., Charlotte, N.C. 28215; son, William “Bill” Newell, Jr. of Rock Hill, S.C.; daughters, Mims Newell Coleman of Indian Trail and Cornelia ‘Connie’ Sample Newell of Fripp Island, S.C.; grandchildren, Holland Louise Coleman and Christopher William Newell; brother, Dr. Bruce B. Newell of Lake Wales, Fla.; and a sister, Elizabeth Humphries of Roxboro, N.C.
John T. “Jack” Bagley ’46 of Fayetteville, Tenn., died March 9, 2005. Following graduation from Davidson, he attended Union Theological Seminary for a year. In 1947 he served as summer student pastor at Fountain City Presbyterian Church. He later became an insurance agent with Bagley & Bagley, Fayetteville.
Samuel Rosler “Sam” Kimrey ’48 of Sanford, N.C., died August 13, 2005. He attended an army specialized training program in Williamsburg, Va., prior to serving three years in the U.S. Army with the 282nd Combat Engineers Batallion in the European Theatre. He worked with Department of Agriculture for two years in Mexico. He retired as an intelligence analyst from the Department of Defense with his last duty being at Ft. Meade, Md. While in Maryland, he was active in many civic and religious organizations. He served as an elder at Grace Presbyterian Church in Lanham, Md. After returning to Sanford, he served on the board of The Salvation Army, acting as guardian. He also enjoyed membership in the Sanford Kiwanis Club, N.A.R.F.E., American Legion Post #382 and Lee County Genealogical and Historical Association. He was a Mason and a member of First Presbyterian Church and attended the St. Luke Wednesday Morning Prayer Group. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Jacquelyn Siler Kimrey. He is survived by his wife, Margaret Post Rush-Kimrey, 2216 Cliffside Dr, Sanford, N.C. 27330-9320; a daughter, Anne Siler Simrey Weldon of Greenbelt, Md; sisters Emily Kimrey Blue of Sanford and Peggy Kimrey Turner of Weldon; and several nieces and nephews.
Millard Winston Wester, Jr. ’48 of Henderson, N.C., died February 22, 2005. He retired from active practice in November 1990. He had been active in family practice in Henderson since his graduation from Duke Medical School. He was a member of the American Academy of General Practice. He was the first medical examiner for Vance County. He held memberships in the Vance County Medical Society, the N.C. Medical Society, the AMA, and the North Carolina Academy. He was a member of the Henderson Rotary Club, a Mason and Shriner, and a member of the First Baptist Church where he served as a deacon and Sunday school teacher. He received the E. Harvey Estes Award, Physician Community Service Award (Doctor of the Year) from the N.C. Medical Society in November 2000. Among his survivors are his wife, Eleanor Clardy Wester, 2111 Coleman Place, Henderson, N.C. 27536-3839; three children, Millard W. III, Shelley, and Elizabeth, all involved in the medical profession; and two brothers, W. Hutson Wester ’59 of Henderson, N.C., and Dr. Thad B Wester, of Bald Head Island, N.C.
James Preston Brown, Jr. ’49 of Concord, N.C., formerly of Monroe, N.C., died August 20, 2005. Jim was born in Statesville, N.C., on August 19, 1928, son of the late James Preston Brown, Sr., and Katherine Gray Brown. He was a graduate of A. L. Brown High School and Davidson College, and was a veteran of the Korean War. He retired in 1988 with thirty years as production control manager at the Monroe Yale and Towne Lock & Hardware Company. Until he and his wife relocated to Taylor Glen in 2002, he was very active in the Monroe First Presbyterian Church, having served as deacon, elder and Sunday school treasurer. He volunteered in Loaves and Fishes, Meals on Wheels and the Christmas Bureau. He is survived by his wife of fifty-four years, Joan Baucom Brown, 3700 Taylor Glenn Ln., Apt 353-C, Concord, N.C. 28027-3404; son, Dean Brown of Denver, N.C.; and grandchildren, Taylor, Hannah and Katherine. He was preceded in death by his son James Preston Brown II.
Randolph Garland (Randy) Ensign ’49 died August 21, 2005. He built Ensco Supply from a small proprietorship into one of the nation’s top ten distributors of contractor and industrial supplies. He had been retired since he sold his business in 1988. In retirement, he founded Advantage Golf Works and operated it until earlier this year when he donated it to Goodwill Industries. He also had real estate interests in Asheboro and Cooleemee. He was past president of the Greensboro Sports Council and remained active in the organization. In recent years he had served regularly as one of the media hosts for the Atlantic Coast Conference men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, as well as NCAA playoffs when they were played at the Greensboro Coliseum. He attended The Citadel for one year. He transferred to Davidson College in 1946 and graduated in 1949, earning a bachelor’s degree with major interests in economics, law and psychology. At Davidson he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, a cheerleader and member of the Pan Hellenic Council. He was a member of Centenary Church, a former teacher and superintendent of its Sunday school and was a certified lay speaker in the United Methodist Church. He is survived by his wife, Angeline Thompson Ensign, 6100 W. Friendly Ave. Apt. 4201, Greensboro, N.C. 27410; son, R. G. Ensign, Jr., of Carolina Beach; daughter, Rebecca Ensign Sartore and husband, Steve, and grandsons Charlie and Parker Sartore of Greensboro; and brother, Chester O. Ensign, Jr., and wife Betty of Ft. Myers, Fla.. He was preceded in death by a son, James Thompson (Tommy) Ensign.
John F. McNair III ’49 died November 3, 2005, in Winston-Salem after a brief illness. He entered Davidson College in the summer of 1944 and stayed through the fall semester. In early 1945, he joined the United States Navy and served in the occupational forces in Japan. At Davidson he played freshman football, was business manager of the campus newspaper, was president of his social fraternity, and was involved in other campus activities. After graduation, he returned to Laurinburg and was involved in a wide range of family-owned businesses including McNair Automotive Company, Laurinburg Milling Company, and Laurinburg Plywood Corporation. His civic activities included four years of service on the Laurinburg City Council, and serving as president of both the Chamber of Commerce and the Laurinburg Rotary Club. He was also commander of the American Legion Post in Laurinburg. Upon his father’s death in 1966, he was was asked to assume his father’s role as president of The State Bank of Laurinburg. In 1986, he was named President of Wachovia Bank & Trust Company. He also served on the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, The Board of Directors of Piedmont Natural Gas, the state Highway Commission, the state Economic Development Board, the N.C. Railroad Company, Research Triangle Park, and N.C. Citizens for Business and Industry. He was a founding member of Winston-Salem Business, Inc. and founding chairman of The Piedmont Club. He served on the Boards of Directors of the YMCA, the Winston-Salem Foundation, The United Way, Leadership Winston-Salem, and the North Carolina Saint Andrew’s Society. He was a member of the board and chairman of both Old Salem, Inc. and Senior Services. He was a lifelong Presbyterian and served as a deacon in the Laurinburg Presbyterian Church and an elder in the First Presbyterian Church in Winston-Salem. He also served the larger church as member of the Board of Annuities and Relief, and as a trustee of Davidson College, Union Theological Seminary, and Peace College. He is survived by Martha Adams Fowler McNair, his wife of fifty-four years, 1244 Arbor Rd. Apt. 236, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27104; his children and their spouses, J. Frank and Laura T. McNair of Winston-Salem, and the Rev. Elizabeth McNair Ayscue and Austin U. (Skeet) Ayscue of Albemarle. He also leaves behind two beloved grandchildren, Rebekah Fairley Ayscue and Spencer McNair Ayscue. Other survivors are his brother James A. McNair and his wife Marion Hays McNair of Pinehurst; a much-loved aunt, Martha McNair Tornow of Laurinburg, and a host of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his sister, Martha Jane McNair Bell, of Raleigh.
Arthur Davis “Buster” Plowden Jr. ’49 of Wedgefield, S.C., died October 4, 2005. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church, attended Davidson College and was a 1949 graduate of Clemson University, receiving a degree in engineering. He was a member of American Legion Post No. 15, a former member of the Clemson President’s Club, former board member of Banker’s Trust, the People’s Bank, Sumter Coatings, and V.B. Williams Furniture Co. He was an avid airplane and helicopter pilot. In 1949, he started in the construction business, and later founded Plowden Construction Co. In 1995, he founded Plowden Holding Co. He was a U.S. Army-Air Corps veteran. Surviving are his wife, Margaret Baldwin Rowland Plowden, 930 Burnt Gin Rd., Wedgefield, S.C. 29168; two sons, Arthur Davis “A.D.” Plowden III of Sumter and William Ariel Plowden of Penrose, N.C.; one daughter, Jeanne Plowden (Mark) Hall ’81 of Brevard, N.C.; two adopted sons, David Plowden and Ronald Plowden; two stepsons, Charles George (Sylvia) Rowland III and Earle (Denise) Rowland; one stepdaughter, Louise Rowland (Jim) Burns; two sisters, Claire Richards and Polly McKay; six grandchildren; numerous step-grandchildren; step-great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by a brother, Samuel Plowden; three sisters, Roberta Abbott, Eleanor Palmer, and Vivian Thibodeaux; and a stepson, Cabell Rowland.
Cameron Faison, Sr. ’50 of Charlotte, N.C., died October 27, 2006. He was in active duty in the U.S. Army as a lieutenant in the Korean War from 1951 until 1952. He was honorably discharged as a captain from the U.S. Army Reserve in 1961. He was employed at Spier Insurance, City Savings Bank, and retired after twenty-five years from Sodyeco, Inc. He was a Sunday school teacher, deacon and elder at Myers Park Presbyterian Church. Cam was an active volunteer for the Jaycees’s, Red Cross, YMCA, and United Way. Cam was a founder and director of Charlotte Latin School. He was a regular Anderson’s Restaurant and Charlotte Cafe. He was preceded in death by his wife, Catherine Stewart Faison. He is survived by his son, Cameron Faison, Jr., 2120 Edenton Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28211, and his wife Diana, of Charlotte; two daughters, Mary Faison Blair and her husband Bill, of Wrightsville Beach, N.C., and Catherine Faison Thomas of Rock Hill, S.C.; ten grandchildren, Catie and Mary Cameron Faison, Cameron, Elizabeth, William and Catherine Blair; Catherine Taylor, Stewart Byrum, Mary and Samantha Thomas; his brother, Yates W. Faison, Jr. ’38 of Charlotte; his sister-in-law, Mary Stewart Huston and her husband Tom, of Coral Gables, Fla., and several nieces and nephews. In addition to his wife, Cam was preceded in death by his brother, William W. Faison ’42.
William Clark Little, Jr. ’50 of Laurinburg, N.C., died August 24, 2005, following a brief battle with cancer. At Davidson, he served as president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and a member of Le Cercle Français. Following his retirement J.P. Stevens, he lived in Laurinburg with his late wife, Sallie Townsend Brown Little. He attended the Laurinburg Presbyterian Church. He is survived by three children, Jeanne Little of Oakland, Calif., Clark Little of Greenville, S.C., and Sally L. Few of Atlanta, Ga.; two stepchildren, Richard T. Brown and Sarah B. Leach; and eight grandchildren, Will and Rob Little, Pate and Jack Few, Carr, Lane, and Brennan Fullagar, and Conner Leach.
John “Peter” Walton Ormsby ’53 of Seattle, Wash., died August 9, 2005. Following graduation from Davidson, he earned his M.D. from Columbia University. He and his wife Ann moved to Seattle in 1957 for his medical internship and residency. From 1959 to 1961 he was a medical officer in the U.S. Army. After returning to Seattle, he became a research fellow in endocrinology at the University of Washington Medical School, then chief resident in medicine at University Hospital. He practiced internal medicine and endocrinology with the Polyclinic until retiring in 1996. In his retirement he attended classes at the University of Washington, including history, astronomy, meteorology, and Islam religion. He served on the board of the Pilchuck Glass School and enjoyed theater, opera, and ballroom dancing. He is survived by his wife of fifty years, Ann S. Ormsby, 14025 3rd Ave. NW, Seattle, Wash. 98177; daughters, Abigail E. Ormsby and Sarah A. Ormsby, M.D., and her husband, Robert Frey; granddaughters, Callie and Isabel Frey; and niece and nephew, Laura Verdi and John Verdi ’82.
Garland E. Still ’53 of Kings Mountain, N.C. died Oct. 2, 2005. He was retired from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Gaston County, where he was a soil conservationist. He was also a farmer. He attended Davidson College and was a graduate of North Carolina State University. He was a member of St. Matthews Lutheran Church and the Kings Mountain Rotary Club. He retired from the U.S. Air Force as a major. Survivors include his wife, Betty Braswell Still, 208 N Gaston St., Kings Mountain, N.C. 28086; son, Garland Everett Still, III of Kings Mountain, N.C.; daughter, Grace Spurrier of Gastonia, N.C.; brother, Dr. John Still ’56 of Kings Mountain, N.C.; sister, Grace Christine Still of Nellysford, Va.; and three grandchildren, Alexandria, Kaitlyn, and Emma.
George J. Walker ’56, Brig. Gen., U.S. Army Retired, passed away April 11, 2005, at his home, in Niceville., Fla., after a sudden heart attack. A graduate of Mercer University in Macon, Ga., he received a master’s in political science from Auburn University. General Walker served six years in the Quartermaster Corps of the Army and the remainder of his active service in Military Intelligence. He served tours in France, Germany, Korea and Vietnam, as well as stateside assignments. He was a graduate of the Army Command and Staff College and the Air Force War College. He served as chief of staff and later as Deputy Commandant of the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and School at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., and as chief of staff, and later, deputy commanding general of the U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command in Washington, D.C. His final assignment prior to retirement in 1989 was as director of intelligence, J2, of Forces Command in Atlanta, Ga. After retirement from the Army, he and Mrs. Walker resided in Huntsville, Ala., where he was employed by Science Applications International Corporation and did consulting work in the United Arab Emirates. He was president of the Huntsville chapter of the Military Officers Association of America and chairman of the Military Retiree Advisory Council to the Commander, Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville. He volunteered with the Huntsville chapter of the American Red Cross. He was inducted into the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Hall of Fame at Fort Huachuca, Ariz. and served as the honorary colonel of the Army’s Military Intelligence Corps from 1994 until 1998. General Walker was a lifetime member of the Military Officers Association of America, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the National Association of Uniformed Services, the Association of The United States Army. He was also a member of the American Legion and the Knights of Columbus. Among General Walker’s awards and decorations were the Army Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Air Medal, Meritorious Service Medal with 2OLC, Army Commendation Medal with 1OLC, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Meritorious Unit Citation, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Army Service Ribbon, four awards of the Army Overseas Service Ribbon, Republic of Vietnam Campaign with four campaign stars, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Gold Cross. Since moving to Niceville, Jerry he was active in the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church. He is survived by his wife of forty-four years, Mary Frances Pennacchio Walker, 4203 Whitetail Cir, Niceville, Fla. 32578; a daughter, Michelle Walker Carnes of Martinez, Ga.; two sons, Scott Thomas Walker of Hedgesville, W.Va., and George Allan Walker of Plano, Texas. Additionally, he is survived by grandchildren Jason Carnes of Bluffton, S.C., Laurie Carnes Graham of Augusta, Ga., Jeremy Carnes of Martinez, Ga., Marlee, Colby, Wesley and Samantha Walker of Plano, Texas. He is survived by one great-grandson Hayden Graham of Martinez, Ga., by two brothers, Douglas W. Smith of Greensboro, N.C., and Andrew Smith of Rome, Ga.
John E. Kepler ’60 of Fairfax, Va., died October 5, 2005. He was retired from the U.S. Army, Central Intelligence Agency. Among his survivors are his wife, Mrs. Toyoko Nakahara Kepler, 4403 Alta Vista Dr, Fairfax, Va. 22030; sons, Kenneth Raymond Kepler, Robert John Kepler, and Michael Eugene Kepler; and brothers, Mercer R. Kepler ’53, Thomas F. Kepler, and William G. Kepler ’63.
David S. Breiten ’63 of New York City and Newark Valley, N.Y., died on July 16. After graduating from Davidson, he served as an executive officer in the U.S. Navy and received his M.B.A. from Rutgers University in 1974. He is survived by his wife of thirty-seven years, Kathleen, 565 West End Ave., Apt. 2D, New York, New York 10024-2708; his daughter Kristen Breiten of Washington, D.C.; his son and daughter-in-law, Paul and Lynn Breiten, of Williamsport, Penn.; three grandchildren; and his brother John W. Breiten of Hancock, N.Y.
James Thomas Grey ’65 of Dunwoody, Ga., died October 27, 2005, following a long and courageous fight against cancer. He was a graduate of Myers Park High School and Davidson College. He was a member of the swimming team and Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He served in Vietnam as a first lieutenant with the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1969. He spent his professional career with Sun Trust Bank in Atlanta and retired in 1998 after twenty-nine years with the bank. He was a member of The Georgia Society of Ferroequinologists, those with a special interest in ‘iron horses,’ the coal burning steam locomotives of the past. Pat and Jim enjoyed trips with this group, as well as travel overseas. They especially enjoyed spending time at their cottage on Lake Chatuge in Hayesville, N.C. He is survived by his wife Patricia Miller Grey, 1438 Rochelle Dr., Atlanta, Ga. 30338, whom he married on June 25, 1966; daughters Jennifer Ann Grey ’91 of Boston; Alison Wharey Grey and her husband Oliver Murray of Portland, Maine; Elizabeth Grey Wells and her husband David Wells of Springfield, Mass.; and his loving dog Ebby.
Howard Odell Morris Jr. ’65 died in Clear Lake, Texas, on September 14, 2005. Howard moved to Winston-Salem with his parents in 1947. He graduated from Reynolds High School in 1961 and was active in football, basketball, and track. He was a National Merit Scholar and graduated from Davidson College in 1965. He served with the U.S. Army for a brief time and then returned to the University of Florida Law School in 1968. He practiced law in Jacksonville, Fla., and presented cases before the Supreme Court. In 1981, he moved to Houston, Texas, to pursue other business interests. He is survived by his parents, Nita and Howard Morris of 804 Chancy Lane; his four children, Amy M. Curry and her husband, Alan Curry, Robert Morris and Sally Morris of Atlanta, Ga. and Michael Morris of Richmond, Va.; his brother, Wade and his children, Lindsay and Mitchell; his uncle, Charles Bracey and aunt, Dot Bracey of Aberden; his aunt, Jo Ann Bracey of Fayetteville; and numerous cousins in the Piedmont area.
John Russell Folger III ’79 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died September 2, 2005, surrounded by his son, his family, and his friends after a two-and-a-half year struggle with cancer. He graduated from Davidson College, where he majored in religion, participated in ROTC and was a member of the Kappa Alpha fraternity. Upon graduation, he received his commission in the U.S. Army and completed Ranger school as part of the 82nd Airborne; he then became a Blackhawk pilot for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment at Fort Campbell, Ky. After an honorable discharge from the military, Russell was a pilot for AirCare at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem. In his forties, Russ decided that he wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps. After completing prerequisites, Russ was accepted at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine, where his father finished in 1953. In his second year of medical school, Russ was diagnosed with lung cancer. As a member of Highland Presbyterian Church, Russ was a deacon and was for many years a well-beloved leader of the youth fellowship. He also served as assistant scoutmaster of Troop 722. Russell helped son Jack to complete his Eagle Scout project and had just returned from a fifty-mile endurance hike with the Boy Scouts at Philmont Camp in New Mexico, the same hike he completed as a young Scout. He is survived by by his sixteen-year-old son, John “Jack” Russell Folger IV and his mother, Stephanie Pidgeon Folger of Winston-Salem; his parents, Dr. and Mrs. John R. Folger Jr. ’49, 115 River Ridge, Brevard, N.C. 28712; his sisters, Lydia Folger Schleifer ’77 of Clemson, S.C., and Sydney Folger of Charleston, S.C., as well as many nieces, nephews and friends.
Dennis Roy Swearengin ’84 of Chicago, Ill., died September 26, 2005, in California from injuries sustained in an automobile accident. Following graduation from Davidson, he earned his medical degree from Duke University in 1988. He performed a year-long residency in internal medicine at Long Island Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center in radiology and completed a specialty in neuro-radiology at New York University Hospital. He was working as a neuro-radiologist at Christ Advocate Hospital in Oaklawn, Ill. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Joanne Swearengin, 607 Carolina Ave. South, Statesville, N.C. 28677; his special aunt, Martha Wood; cousins, Cindy and Marty Wood; and great nephews, Grant and Preston Wood, all of Heflin, La. Also left to cherish his memory are special friends, William Geradi, M.D., of Chicago, Ill., Dr. Greg Parker of Charlotte; and Dr. Kent Davis of Raleigh, N.C.
Renita G. Durant Riley ’96 of Villa Rica, Ga., passed away suddenly on September 21, 2005. She joined Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church in Claxton at an early age. She was a graduate of Southeast Bulloch High School Class of 1991. After moving to Villa Rica, she joined Saint Phillips A.M.E. Church in Atlanta. She was employed as an administrative assistant at SITECH Atlanta Job Core. She was owner and operator of D&R Graphics in Douglasville. She leaves to cherish her memories her husband, Tyrus E. Riley Sr., 2006 Sweet Bay Dr., Villa Rica. Ga., 30180-5865; children, Kimberly L.R. Ogelsby and Tyrus E. Riley Jr.; her parents, Lee Ellen Durant and Roy Lee Durant; a mother-in-law, Rosa Lee Riley, Villa Rica; two brothers, Cyril “Pac-Man” Durant and Roy LaWayne Durant; two sisters, Ternisha Chanta Durant and Crystal Daughtry; one nephew, Izrael Tyreke Durant; and a host of other relatives and friends.