Francis Newton “Fritz” Littlejohn ’29
Sandy Marks '31
Roger Enloe ’32
Alvert Sherwood Arnold ’33
Capt. John T. Lowe ’33
Andrew Hunter Manson, Jr. ’34
John Harris Morrison '34
Ben C. Barnes, M.D. '35
Gordon L. Green ’35
William Bernard Templeton ’35
The Rev. William Benjamin Stokes ’36
Arthur Tyler Port ’37
Thomas Franklin Thompson ’37
Kenneth H. Long ’39
David Coleman Colvin, Sr. ’40
Albert L. McAulay ’40
Patrick Henry Hobson Jr. ’41
William James Sexton ’42
Richard W. Hevener, Jr. ’43
Ivey W. Stewart ’43
James Lewis Bibb ’45
William McKoy Ragsdale, M.D., ’46
Robert Thomas Amos, Jr. '47
Robert Haywood Morrison ’47
Richard Hicks O'Hair, Sr. '47
Charles Mitchell Gibbs, Jr. ’48
Newlin Pyle Schenck ’48
William Henry Bennett, Jr. ’49
Mason Morris Dunlap ’49
Amos Towle Camp ’50
The Rev. Dr. Edward Willis Milner, Sr. ’50
Dr. Graham D. Newton ’50
Warren Sims, Jr. '51
Richard Armistead Boyd ’52
S. Dewey Keesler ’52
William C. Elliott ’54
Ralph Ewart Petree, Jr. ’54
Ronald Vance Lanford, M.D. ’58
Francis P. "Pete" Coleman Jr. '59
William Henry Carr ’60
John Parker Denton ’61
Tim Kimrey ’65
Stanley Roy Kerr ’66
David Scott Davis ’70
Frank Richard Miller Jr. ’77
Burt Fowler Taylor III ’84
Francis Newton “Fritz” Littlejohn ’29 died November 24, 2005 in his New York home. After graduation from Davidson, he played minor league baseball in Danville, Va. He then got a job as a sports reporter for The Charlotte Observer that lasted until 1937. He went to the Associated Press and as a sports reporter interviewed baseball icon Babe Ruth and tennis great Bill Tilden. He then became news editor, and during that period duty called and he served in the Army Air Force 1942-43. He was news supervisor at NBC Radio until 1952, then advanced to managing editor of CBS-TV News. He covered the political scene until 1972 and attended every nominating convention in that era. While he was at CBS, his wife Edith Killian died. He went to ABC and was made events director. He met Ann, a writer whose work he edited. They married in 1962, but Fritz had no children from either marriage. While at ABC, Fritz's job empowered him to make the inventive decision to carry the McCarthy hearings live. Fritz retired from the Voice of America as deputy to director John Charles Daly. Surviving is his wife, Ann Gihuly Littlejohn, 349 E 49th St., New York, N.Y. 10017
Sandy Marks '31 died November 8, 2005. Following graduation from Atlanta Southern Dental College, he opened a dental practice in Wilmington, N.C. In 1936, he was married to Katherine (Kitty) Stuart Woods. They had three children and in 1948 went to the Belgian Congo as missionaries with the American Presbyterian Congo Missions. After returning from the Congo in 1961, he entered UNC Chapel Hill and received a master's in periodontics. After two years on the staff at Howard University, he taught at the UNC School of Dentistry until his retirement in 1976. Following retirement he became involved with the Medical Benevolence Foundation and the opening of a post-graduate clinic for training dental graduates in Zaire (former Belgian Congo). In 1997, in recognition of his life achievements, he was inducted into the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem Knights Hospitaller as a Knight of Merit. Survivors include a son, Stuart Marks; a daughter, Katie M. Sawyer, 1536 Hunt Dr., Unit E, Normal, Ill. 61761; sisters, "Gee" Myers and Louise Slack; eight grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.
Roger Enloe ’32 died at his Kendal home in Kennett Square, Pa., on January 10, 2006. His friends and family describe him as a monumental role model, loving husband and father, and a man of principle with life-long interests in ethical and theological inquiries. He encouraged all those he met, in all walks of life, to live with a loving heart. He served as a dedicated class secretary for 20 years. He was a graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary. He served as the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Bethlehem, Pa. With his daughters and wife, Jane Dent of Allentown, he lived in Spain during the 1950s counseling the emerging Protestant churches under the auspices of the World Council of Churches. As president and founding member of UN We Believe, he promoted the principles and purpose of the United Nations over three decades with UN ambassadors, foreign ministers, U.S. presidents, and leaders of business, industry, and labor. In 1999 Roger Enloe's leadership of Leonardo da Vinci Horse, Inc. culminated in the gift of a colossal bronze horse to the people of Italy from the people of the United States as envisioned by the late Charles C. Dent. He was preceded in death by his wife Jane. Survivors include his two daughters, Elizabeth Enloe and Margaret Enloe McIntyre, 15 West 84th St., Apt. 7A, New York, N.Y. 10024, his son-in-law Steven McIntyre; grandchildren Andrew Enloe McIntyre, Laura Elizabeth McIntyre, and Sarah Jane McIntyre; G. Geddes Dowling, and many nieces and nephews.
Alvert Sherwood Arnold ’33 of Zephyrhills, Fla., died July 10, 2005. He moved to Zephyrhills in 1976 from Winchester, Va. He was a retired estimator in the lumber industry. He was a member of the Methodist church. Survivors include two daughters, Diane Daniel, Bowie, Md. and Susan A. Stutterer of Floyd, Va.; a sister, Mary V. Davins, Roanoke, Va.; five grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.
Capt. John T. Lowe ’33, U.S. Navy retired, of Saint Simons Island, Ga., died August 15, 2005. He was the former commanding officer at the Glynco Naval Air Station in New Brunswick. He finished his thirty-year career as a Navy carrier pilot as the last commander of the NAS Gynco when it closed in 1962. A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy in 1934, he distinguished himself in numerous actions providing air support in the Pacific Theatre during World War II, including Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Japan homeland. He served on the carriers Enterprise, Yorktown, and Lexington, and survived substantial damage to these ships by the Japanese. After retiring from the Navy, he spent fifteen years working for the Sea Island Company handling its real estate transactions. Survivors include three sons, F. Rockwell Lowe, 1592 River Ridge, Williamsburg, Va. 23185, David Lowe of Modesto, Calif.; and John E. “Jet” Thompson of Baltimore, Md.; and four grandchildren, Alex Lowe, Lindsay Lowe, Austin Lowe, and Alexa Lowe.
Andrew Hunter Manson, Jr. ’34 of Jacksonville, Fla., passed away December 28, 2005. He was president of the first full class of graduates of Robert E. Lee High School, where he excelled in basketball. True to his Scottish heritage, he was also a lifelong golfer. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Omicron Delta Kappa leadership fraternity. He held numerous leadership positions, including vice-president of his senior class. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army Infantry in 1942, and served his country for three and a half years during World War II in Scotland, England, Wales, Africa, Sicily, and Italy. He was appointed to the rank of major in the Transportation Corps in 1947. Before his retirement in 1983, he was treasurer of St. Joe Paper Company and worked with the Nemours Foundation and the estate of Alfred I. Dupont. During his many years as a member of Riverside Presbyterian Church, Andrew served as an elder, a deacon, captain of ushers, and president of the George Simons Bible class. Survivors include his wife of sixty-six years, Katherine Hooper Manson, 4185 Lakeside Dr., Jacksonville, Fla. 32210; a daughter, Kay Manson, his son, Andrew Hunter Manson, III; and several nieces and nephews.
John Harris Morrison '34 of Concord, N.C,, died January 5, 2006. After Davidson, he returned to Concord to join his father's business, E.L. Morrison Lumber Company. Upon his father's death, John and his brother Ed ’25 took over the business, which became a driving force of his life. He retired from the lumber yard in 1989 but continued as a daily advisor to the company. In 1943 he was inducted into the U.S. Army and he served for two years in Britain and France. He received his discharge in 1945 and returned to Concord and his family. John was known for his business acumen and was well respected by the local community. Fairness, honesty and respect for each person were values he taught by example. He was a life-long member of First Presbyterian Church where he served as deacon and elder. He also served on the board of Cabarrus County Savings and Loan. Survivors include his wife of sixty-four years, Helen Holt Morrison, 260 Eastover Cir SE, Concord, N.C. 28025; their children John Morrison, Jr., Hugh Morrison, and Margaret Morrison Hamilton; eight grandchildren: Holt Morrison '95, Knox Morrison, Margaret Morrison, Hunter Morrison, Helen Collins and Jeff Hamilton '05, Harris Morrison, Caroline Hamilton and two great grandchildren.
Ben C. Barnes, M.D. '35 of Dowington, Pa., died June 10, 2004. He was a retired internist. He earned a master’s degree from University of Minnesota-Minneapolis and his M.D. from University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He interned and was a resident in pathology at Episcopal Hospital, Philadelphia, and then served a three-year fellowship in internal medicine at Mayo Clinic. He was in private practice for twenty years, was chief of medicine at Sacred Heart Hospital and later served as medical director of the Muhlenberg Medical Center in Bethlehem, Pa. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty McLean Barnes. Survivors include daughters, Mary Katherine Zamborsky of Allentown, Pa., and Judith Gardiner, 1303 New Virginia Rd., Downington, Pa. 19336; two grandchildren, Stephen Zamborsky and Kathryn Zamborsky; and one great grandchild.
Gordon L. Green ’35 of Louisville, Ky., died December 2, 2005. He was a physician in private practice for over forty-five years and retired as a medical adjudicator for the Veterans Administration. He was also a former clinical professor of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery at the University of Louisville. Dr. Green was a graduate of the Berry Schools in Rome, Ga., Davidson College, and the U of L Medical School. He served his internship at the old Louisville General Hospital and his residency at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He was a founder and former president of the Louisville Otolaryngology Society, and member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, American Society of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, American Medical Association, Kentucky Medical Association, and Jefferson County Medical Society. As a lieutenant colonel during World War II, he was a flight surgeon with the Army Air Corps. Surviving are his wife, Glavis Green, 2001 Round Ridge Rd., Louisville, Ky. 40207; a daughter, Connie Hampton (Jim); a brother, Dr. Randolph Green; and three grandchildren, Sheila Dempster, Timothy Evans, and Melanie Huber.
William Bernard Templeton ’35 of Charlotte died January 1, 2006. During the late 1930s, he was employed by the Roses Stores. He served with the U.S. Army during World War II and was discharged at the rank of captain. He graduated from the Medical College of Virginia Dental School and moved to Charlotte where he practiced general dentistry until his retirement in 1996. He was a life member of the Charlotte Dental Society, the N.C. Dental Society and the American Dental Association. He was a former member of the Charlotte Executives Club and a longtime member and past president of the Charlotte Civitan Club. He was also a member of the Charlotte Senior Forum, a former member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church and Dilworth United Methodist Church. Currently, he was a member of Providence United Methodist Church. Survivors include his wife of forty-seven years, Mildred Crowder Templeton, 1323 Queens Rd., Apt. 304, Charlotte, N.C. 28207; sons, Charles Winston Templeton of Pittsboro, William Lee Templeton of Charlotte, John Stephen Templeton and wife, Kim, and their daughter, Betsy, of Savannah, Ga., Douglas Macarthur Templeton and wife, Dana, and their daughters, Olivia and Claire, of Wake Forest.
The Rev. William Benjamin Stokes ’36 of Charlotte, N.C., died February 1, 2006. A retired United Methodist minister, he had served churches in the Virginia and Western North Carolina Conferences including Aldersgate, Zoar, and First United Methodist Church of Charlotte. He was a member and past master of Temple Lodge #676 AF & AM, a 33rd degree Scottish Rite Mason, and a member of the Oasis Temple of the Shrine. He was also a past patron of the Charlotte Chapter 294 Order of the Eastern Star. He is survived by his wife, Catherine “Kitsie” Stokes, 3420 Shamrock Dr., Apt. 714, Charlotte, N.C. 28215; his son, W. Ben Stokes, Jr. and wife, Ella Sue; and his daughter, Jet Taylor and husband, Paul, all of Charlotte. Also surviving are three grandchildren, Sheri Quinn and husband, Paul, William B. Stokes, III and wife, Christi, and Cynthia Williams and husband, Tommy; as well as five great-grandchildren, Payton Quinn, Kenny and Melissa Stokes, and Kathryn and Emily Williams.
Arthur Tyler Port ’37, a Defense Department official who served NATO as the assistant secretary general for defense support from 1967 until shortly before retiring in 1974, died January 3, 2006. While assigned to NATO, he was chairman of several committees, including one that appropriated funds for airfields, communications and pipelines. He was also involved with the NATO Conference of National Armaments Directors to standardize the weapons systems procured by the member nations for NATO's defense. After retiring, he did consulting work on NATO affairs for the Stanford Research Institute and Logistics Management Institute. He was a 1940 graduate of Yale University Law School. He served in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II and later, as a civilian, was a special consultant to Army Secretary Frank Pace Jr. He also was a consultant on psychological warfare and special operations, which played a role in the creation of the Army's Special Forces at Fort Bragg, N.C. Among his later assignments was director of the office of security policy at the Defense Department and deputy assistant secretary of the Army for installations and logistics. His honors included two Defense Department distinguished civilian service awards. Surviving are his wife of fifty-five years, Aline Gooding Port, 20540 Falcons Landing Cir., Apt 4408, Sterling, Va. 20165; two children, Cynthia Hosmer of Napa, Calif., and Christopher Port of Manassas; a brother, Richard B. Port ’47 of Winston-Salem, N.C.; and three grandchildren.
Thomas Franklin Thompson ’37 died December 29, 2005, in New Orleans, La. In World War II he served as a captain in the infantry in the European Theatre. He was associated for many years with Thompson and Street Construction Co., Atlanta, Ga., and remained as a consultant until his retirement. Surviving are his wife, Lee; daughters, Betty Ann Thompson Comer, 404 Hidden Springs Rd., Tullahoma, Tenn.; 37388; and Nancy Thompson Small of Mauriceville, Tex.; son, Fred Thompson of Uncasville, Conn.; seven grandsons; and nieces and nephews.
James Thomas Baskerville ’38 of Houston, Texas, died February 3, 2005. He transferred to the University of Toledo and later received his A.B. from Abilene Christian University. He worked with American Airlines until he joined the Navy during World War II. He served as a pilot in the Pacific Theatre and retired as a lieutenant commander. He worked in Texas with V.P. Lyndon Johnson's radio station in Austin. He was a partner in two businesses in Santa Barbara, Calif. He retired as a vice president with RCA Corporation, Los Angeles, in distribution and marketing. In California, he was a public relations officer with AMVETS and the Lions Club. Survivors include his wife, Martha Dealey Baskerville, 1410 Saddle Creek Dr. Highway 16, Houston, Tex. 77090; two sons, James T. Baskerville III and William E. Baskerville; and a daughter, Diana Marion.
Kenneth H. Long ’39 of Phoenix, Ariz., died December 27, 2005. Commissioned upon completion of officer candidate school, he served in the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations during World War II. He served in the U.S. Air Force for twenty-five years, retiring as a major. After a year at Davidson, he attended the University of Illinois where he earned a B.A. and a master's in hospital administration. He was a member of the American College of Hospital Administrators and at one time was administrator of the U.S. Air Force Hospital at Luke AFB, Arizona. Among his survivors is his wife, Cynthia Carr Long, 3117 E Cortez St, Phoenix, Ariz. 85028.
David Coleman Colvin, Sr. ’40 of Gastonia, N.C., died February 5, 2006. He was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Davidson where he lettered, was 2nd chair violinist, and a member of Pi Kappa Phi. He attended Harvard Business School before being called into active duty. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II in the 4020th AFBU, and he attended the Command & General Staff School in Leavenworth, Kansas. He was with Gen. MacArthur when the Japanese surrendered. He served in the Philippines, New Guinea and Australia during World War II, and in Greenland during the Korean War. He retired as a lieutenant colonel from the U.S. Air Force. David was self-employed as an auto dealer and a real estate agent. He was a lifelong member of First United Methodist Church and a member of the Builders Sunday School Class, former member of the Downtown Rotary Club, member of Masonic Lodge, York Rite Bodies and Shriners, Christian Businessmen’s Bible Study, and past president of N.C. Automobile Dealers Association. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Fannie Sue Falls Colvin, 633 Kirby Ave., Gastonia, N.C. 28053; son and daughter-in-law, David Colvin, Jr., and Karen of Denver, N.C.; daughters and sons-in-law, Donna and Roy Lockett of Gastonia, Anne and Charles Winters of Gastonia; grandchildren, Charles and Elizabeth Anne Winters of Gastonia, Madeline and Susan Colvin of Denver, N.C.; several nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sister, Sarah Colvin McCall.
Albert L. McAulay ’40 of Mt. Gilead, N.C., died Jan. 14, 2006. He attended Davidson where he was a member of Beta Theta Phi. A U.S. Army World War II Veteran, he held artillery training responsibilities in the United States after serving in North Africa. He returned to his hometown to manage family interests and entrepreneurial opportunities. With his brother and a friend, he founded Jacobs Creek Stone Company and served as its president for many years. He also served as national treasurer of the Allied Stone Association. He was president of the Mt. Gilead Insurance Agency and the Mt. Gilead Savings & Loan. He was an active member of the board of directors of the Bank of Mt. Gilead and later a local Board member of its successors, Southern National Bank and BB&T. He was a deacon and an elder of First Presbyterian Church of Mt. Gilead. He was a 32nd Degree Mason and Shriner and a member of the Mt. Gilead Civitan Club. He served for almost thirty years as a Mt. Gilead town commissioner and a Montgomery County Commissioner. Survivors include his wife of fifty-eight years, Johnnie, 403 W Allenton St. Mt. Gilead, N.C. 27306; and their children and spouses: Al McAulay and his wife, Lil of Charlotte, N.C., George McAulay and his wife, Debra of Raleigh, N.C., Betsy McAulay McQuade and her husband, Bob ’79 of Westfield, N.J., and Chip McAulay and his wife, Carol of Albemarle, N.C.; nine grandchildren, Mac McAulay, Smith McAulay, Matt McAulay, Will and Elizabeth McAulay, Amanda and Rebecca McQuade, and Cameron and Boone McAulay.
Patrick Henry Hobson Jr. ’41, died November 18, 2005. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II and was discharged as a major in 1945. He received a doctorate in chemistry from UNC. He was a research chemist for American Viscose/Chemstrand in Decatur Ala. He moved to Chapel Hill in 1961 and became a manager at Chemstrand/Monsanto in Research Triangle Park. In 1976, he moved to St. Louis, Mo., where he continued to work for Monsanto until his retirement. He retired to Chapel Hill and was a founding member of the Church of Reconciliation and served as elder and clerk of session. He was an active member of the Choral Society of Durham for more than twenty-five years. He was a trustee of Davidson College and charter member of the Chapel Hill Tennis Club. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lydia “Pete” Hobson, whom he married in 1947. Survivors include three sons, Henry Hobson, 1671 Golf Course Rd., Sparta, N.C. 28675; Edwin Hobson of Chapel Hill; and Kenneth Hobson of Norman, Okla.; a daughter, Shirley Colpitts of Durham; two sisters, Carolyn Cartwright of Moab, Utah, and Louise Callaghan of Charlotte; two brothers, Fred Hobson of Charlotte and J. Richard Hobson ’53 of Black Mountain; five grandchildren.
William James Sexton ’42, a former Perry, Ga., city councilman and one of the founding trustees of the Westfield Schools, died November 28, 2005, in Macon, Ga. He was the chairman of Davis Oil Company. He was also a past board member of the Georgia Oilmen’s Association. He taught Sunday school at Perry United Methodist Church, and was also a member of the church’s administrative board and the church’s board of trustees. A past president of the Perry Kiwanis Club, he was also the club’s man of the year. A trustee of the Westfield Schools, he was a recipient of the school’s Heritage Award in 2002. Survivors include his wife, Billie Davis Sexton, 1411 Park Ave., Perry, Ga., 31069; four sons, Davis Cosey, William Sexton Jr., Mayo Sexton, and Colton Sexton; and seven grandchildren.
Richard W. Hevener, Jr. ’43 of Harrisonburg, Va., died December 24, 2003. He served in a number of engineering design and management positions during a highly successful career with General Electric. He was made a member of General Electric Aircraft Engines Propulsion Hall of Fame in 1987. He served three years as a pilot in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He graduated from V.P.I. with a B.S. in aero engineering in 1948. He was a member of the American Aeronautics and Astronautics. Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Wimer Hevener, 1491 Virginia Ave., Apt. 211, Harrisonburg, Va. 22802; and two daughters Carolyn and Sharon.
Ivey W. Stewart ’43 of Oakboro, N.C., died December 20, 2005. He was president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at Davidson and a commissioned officer who served with the U.S. Army in Italy during World War II. Raised in the First Presbyterian Church of Charlotte, he served as a deacon and an elder, and later as a deacon and elder in the Indian Hill Presbyterian Church of Stanfield. After World War II he returned to Charlotte, entered the employ of his uncle Thomas Rankin Stewart at Stewart Supply Company, an automotive aftermarket business he later bought and operated until his retirement in 1986. After his move from Charlotte to Oakboro, he served as a director of the Locust, N.C., branch of First Bank. He raised cows and enjoyed his grandchildren. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Harriet Thigpen Stewart, 1606-A Oak Grove Rd, Oakboro, N.C. 28129; daughter, Dorothy S. Link; son Ivey W. Stewart III; sister and family of Winston-Salem, Rachel Stewart Smith; and four grandchildren.
James Lewis Bibb ’45 of Waxhaw, N.C., died suddenly January 27, 2006, while duck hunting with his closest friends in South Carolina. He left Davidson College to serve as a decorated fighter pilot in the Army Air Corps. He flew the P-47 Thunderbolt airplane as cover for bombers over France and Germany in World War II. Upon his honorable discharge from the service, Lewis joined the Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Burlington, N.C. Upon relocation to Charlotte, he joined the firm of R.S. Dickson & Co., and later E.F. Hutton & Company. He completed his professional career with retirement from the Ruddick Corp. He was an avid sportsman with a passion for duck hunting. Surviving are his wife, Brenda Babb Bibb, 7206 Grover Rogers Rd., Waxhaw, N.C. 28173; one son Jim Bibb and wife Ellen of Nashville, Tenn., five daughters Berkeley Jones of Charlotte, Lolly Bibb of Bartlett, N.H.,, Penny Lukens and husband Rob of Wyomissing, Pa., Liza Garrity and husband Michael of Minneapolis, Minn., and Curtis Smith and husband Tom of Cary, North Carolina; two stepsons, Nick Costanza and wife Ramona of Sandy, Utah; Chris Costanza and companion Dave Gleave of Washington, D.C.; one stepdaughter, Kelly Cannon and husband Mike of Waxhaw. There are nineteen grandchildren.
William McKoy Ragsdale, M.D., ’46 of Myrtle Beach, S.C., died January 28, 2006. After Davidson, he graduated from the Medical University of South Carolina. He trained at Charity Hospital in New Orleans and served as a M.A.S.H. doctor in the Korean Conflict. He established practice in Myrtle Beach in 1954 as one of the first physicians in Horry County. He was a member of Bible Fellowship Baptist Church, Little River, S.C. Survivors include his wife, Carole, 1216 Fox Tail Dr, Longs, S.C. 29568; his sons, the Reverend William Theodore Ragsdale and family; Joseph Wylie Ragsdale, M.D., and family; Skip Carrick and family, Neil Patrick Carrick and family; and Bryan Webster Carrick and son.
Robert Thomas Amos, Jr. '47 died peacefully at High Point Regional Cancer Center on February 18, 2006. He was a lifelong member of Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church, serving as chairman of the board of trustees, lay leader, chairman of the administrative board, conference delegate, Sunday School teacher, chairman of pastor-parish relations, and the commission of missions. At Davidson, he was senior senator, member of the ODK Leadership Fraternity, Scabbard and Blade Military Fraternity, a member of the varsity football team and president of Kappa Sigma Fraternity. He remained involved with Davidson College as a trustee and president of the Alumni Association, and he was a recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Award. During World War II, Bob interrupted his college years by enlisting in the infantry. He served for 44 months and fought for two years in Europe, attaining the rank of captain with the 100th Infantry Division. For heroic action in Germany, Bob was awarded the Bronze Star with clusters. He worked in the hosiery industry for almost fifty years, retiring as president of Amos Hosiery Mills when the company was sold in 1988. He served as a two-term president of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the YMCA, chairman of the United Way, chairman of the Haggai Foundation and chairman of the High Point Historical Foundation. He was a member of the Wachovia Bank Board in High Point for 43 years and served as its chairman. Bob was also very involved with High Point Regional Hospital, where he was chairman of the Board of Trustees and co-chairman of two building campaigns. In addition, he was founding member of the Hospital Endowment Board. Bob was a trustee for life at High Point University, and served as a trustee of Davidson College and Greensboro College, a trustee of the Methodist Children's Home in Winston-Salem, and a trustee of the Evergreens Polio Hospital in Greensboro, by appointment of the governor of North Carolina. He was inducted into the YMCA Hall of Honor in 1987. In recent years, he became involved with Hospice of the Piedmont and served on its Board of Directors. Bob was honored to serve as co-chairman with his life-long friend, Jim Millis, in what would be their last fund raising campaign together for the new Hospice Home of High Point. He was preceded in death by his wife Martha of fifty-six years, his sister Eleanor Amos Idol, and his brothers, Harold Lindsay Amos and Wray McMichael Amos. Survivors include his three children, daughter Carolyn Amos Yokley and husband John of Atlanta, Ga., son Robert Thomas Amos III ’75 and his wife Laura, 424 Edgedale Dr., High Point, N.C. 27262; and Mary Amos Krick ’78 and her husband Michael of Greensboro. He has eight grandchildren, Martha Avery Cook ’98, Mary Katherine Cook, Thomas Ross Cook, Katherine Hayden Amos, Robert Thomas Amos IV, Charles Connor Amos, Martha Amos Krick, and Emily Chambers Krick.
Robert Haywood Morrison ’47 of Charlotte died on March 19, 2005. He was a member of the Charlotte Dilworth Southend Rotary Club, Good Fellows, the Nature Conservancy, and other academic and civic associations. He graduated from UNC Chapel Hill with a B.A. in English and a master's in journalism. He served a term as editor of The Daily Tarheel and was member of Phi Beta Kappa. Mr. Morrison began his career in the academic world of higher education with faculty appointments at the University of Kansas, the University of Illinois, and Winthrop University. He is the author of six key books on business writing and numerous articles in professional journals. Applying his knowledge beyond academics, he became a newspaper publisher and editor in Newton, N.C. Upon completion of that phase of his career, he moved to Charlotte in the 1960s where he began his life's work in real estate investments with a focus on North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, where he practiced until his death. Survivors include his partner and companion, Cynthia Haldenby Tyson. He is also survived by his brother, Charles Tuttle Morrison, 105 Mimosa Blvd, Haughton, La. 71037; and their daughters, Charlene Morrison, Diane Morrison Clark, Sarah Morrison Stephens, and their families.
Richard Hicks O'Hair, Sr. '47 of Knoxville, Tenn., died December 4, 2005, following surgery for pancreatic cancer. His college education was interrupted for three years by World War II, and as a 2nd lieutenant in the infantry he saw action in France, Austria, and Germany. At Davidson, he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, football, wrestling and track teams, ODK, and the 1946 All-State Football Team. He also played for the Charlotte Clippers semi-pro football club. He was self-employed for many years in the insurance and estate planning field in Charlotte, and worked for several years as a substitute teacher at Oak Ridge High School. In 1997, he earned his M.B.A. from Tusculum College. He was a member of Trinity Presbyterian Church and later of First Presbyterian Church in Oak Ridge, serving as an elder and teacher. Survivors include his caregiver and daughter, Bonnie O'Hair Murray, 205 Engert Rd., Knoxville, Tenn. 37922; Amy O'Hair-Smith; a son, Richard O'Hair, Jr.; the children's mother, Harriette Grice O'Hair; grandchildren, Sydney Murray III, Richard O'Hair III, Colin Smith, Ashley O'Hair and Keely Smith; a brother, Ralph M. O'Hair, Jr.
Charles Mitchell Gibbs, Jr. ’48 of Cornelia, Ga., died December 27, 2005. He attended Davidson from 1941-1943 and left college to serve in the Fourth Marine Division, “The Fighting Fourth”, during World War II. Prior to being wounded in the Battle of Iwo Jima, he witnessed the raising of the first American flag on Mt. Suribachi. He was a Purple Heart recipient. He returned to Davidson and graduated in 1948. He graduated from Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur 1957. He served as pastor in Presbyterian churches in Fork, S.C., Gainesville, and Clarkesville, as well as interim pastor in several other churches in northeast Georgia. He also served as the Stated Clerk of the Athens Presbytery for many years. Survivors include his wife, Ann Campbell Davis Gibbs, 156 Arbutus Trail, Cornelia, Ga. 30531-3800; daughters and sons-in-law, Lila Davis and Wyly Cameron, Los Alamos, N.M., Lee Ann Davis and David Smith, Athens, Shannon Gibbs and Dan Gasaway, Homer, and Carol Gibbs and Ken Crochet, Decatur; son, Charles Mitchell Gibbs, III; and daughter-in-law, Kendra Campbell Gibbs, Raleigh, N.C.; grandchildren, Larissa Cameron Greer, Benjamin Cameron, Justin Smith, Kathryn Smith, Carson Crochet, Clayton Crochet, Campbell Gibbs, Jacob Gibbs, and Cooper Gibbs; siblings, Tilda Gibbs Herrin, Clinton, N.C., and Dr. Stuart Wynn Gibbs, Sr. ’41, Gastonia, N.C.; and several nieces and nephews
Newlin Pyle Schenck ’48 of Shelby, N.C. died December 7, 2005. He served as secretary and treasurer of Lily Mills Co. for many years and retired as president of Belding Lily Co. After the closing of Belding Lily, he rejoined the staff of Cleveland Mills Co. as director of purchasing until his retirement in 1990. He was a longtime member of Shelby Rotary Club, which honored him as a Paul Harris Fellow. He served as the president in 1970-71. He also served on the Cleveland Memorial Hospital Board for many years and as chairman for several years. He was a member of Masonic Lodge 202. He was one of the organizers of The Salvation Army in Cleveland County and the Cleveland County Boys Club. Cleveland Vocational Industries and Hospice of Cleveland County were also part of his activities. He was a lifelong member of First Baptist Church of Shelby where he was a Sunday school teacher for a period of time and deacon for several years. In addition, he served as a director of First National Bank and was director emeritus at the time of his death. He served in the Korean War with the Sixth Regimental Combat Team. While in the Army, he was awarded two Purple Hearts. Survivors include his wife, Rachel Spangler Schenck, 326 Lamar Ave., Apt. 4, Shelby, N.C. 28150; sons, Hal Emerson Schenck and Mark B. Schenck; daughter, Leslie Schenck Cofer, brother, Michael Schenck; four grandchildren; and a number of loving nieces and nephews.
William Henry Bennett, Jr. ’49 of Houston, Texas, died July 26, 2005. After graduating from Davidson, he attended the Mississippi College of Law and graduated magna cum laude. He was adjunct professor at the school from 1957 to 1967. He was licensed to practice law in Mississippi and Texas. His working career was predominantly in Texas. He had a longtime contractual relationship with Random House and received the Bennett Cerf Achievement Award. He was honored with a lifetime membership in the Kiwanis Club of Corpus Christi where he served as president. After retiring to the Texas Hill Country, he served as court-appointed attorney ad litem representing children in state custody who had been abused, abandoned, molested, or neglected. He served on a number of civic committees. He was a member of the Presbyterian church, an elder, and Sunday school teacher. He was preceded in death by his son John. Survivors include his wife of fifty-three years, Martha Allen Bennett, 5151 Buffalo Speedway, Apt. 2315, Houston, Tex. 77005; his son, William H. Bennett III and wife Michelle of Houston; a daughter, Carol Ann Lee and husband Duane, of Franktown; daughter Barbara Finkel and husband Kevin, of Houston; and three grandchildren.
Mason Morris Dunlap ’49 of Charlotte, died February 14, 2006. He worked for the former Package Products Company for forty-three years before retiring in 1995. He was a long time member of Avondale Presbyterian Church. Survivors include his loving wife of almost fifty years, Betty Jane Jackson Dunlap, 9137 Beaver Brook Way, Charlotte, N.C. 28277-1733; their four children: Mason M. Dunlap, Jr. and William A. Dunlap of Charlotte, Emily Dunlap Rainey ’80 of Davidson, and Jane Dunlap Norris of Charlottesville, Va.; four grandchildren: Rebecca D. Rainey, Bennett D. Rainey, Christopher M. Dunlap, and Lauren T. Dunlap; son-in-law, David C. Rainey ’77; and daughter-in-law, Martha H. Dunlap; brother, John M. Dunlap ’48 of Newton, N.C.; brother-in-law, R. Dewey Jackson and his wife, Joan of Foxfire Village, N.C.; and nieces, nephews and cousins.
Amos Towle Camp ’50 of Annandale, Va., died August 27, 2005. He was president of Camp Distributors, Inc., a distributor of health products. At Davidson he was a member of Sigma Delta Pi, ROTC, and Phi Gamma Delta. He was a member of the varsity basketball and football teams. Just twenty days following his graduation, he was called up for service for the Korean War. He was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Div. at Fort Bragg, N.C. for two years. He was editor of the Korean War Veterans Association magazine, The Graybeards, during the time the Korean War Memorial was dedicated on July 27, 1995. He established his own business after leaving active duty but managed to get in twenty-eight years of overall service counting reserve time and retired with the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a past lieutenant governor of the Kiwanis, past post commander of the American Legion, and was a Bible teacher in his church. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Patricia Jones Camp. They had a son, Stephen, and a daughter, Tracey C. Furman. He is survived by his second wife, Emelina R. Camp, 7828 Rebel Dr., Annandale, Va. 22003 and her five grown children; a brother, Carol Camp ’52 of Akron, Ohio; and grandchildren.
The Rev. Dr. Edward Willis Milner, Sr. ’50 of Charlotte, N.C., died Aug. 9, 2005. He was a scholar, teacher, poet, musician, and ordained Unitarian Universalist minister. He earned a B.S. degree from Davidson, a master of divinity from Columbia Seminary, a master of arts from the University of Chicago and UNC Charlotte and a doctor of education from UNC Greensboro. He taught in elementary and secondary public schools, as well as in colleges and universities in both the United States and the United Kingdom. One of his poems, ‘To the Center,” is embronzed on the door of the N.C. Center for the Advancement of Teaching. Survivors include his wife, Marian Holley Milner, 5920 Sharon Hills Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28210; four sons, Edward, Jr., Clinton, Christopher and Martin; and by six grandchildren. He is also survived by two sisters, Mimi Milner Elrod and Eleanor Milner Newland and two brothers, Benjamin Charles Milner, Jr. and Joseph O'Beirne Milner.
Dr. Graham D. Newton ’50 of Charlotte, N.C., passed away on February 19, 2006. He graduated from Cornell University before attending his residency at Duke University. He also served in the U.S. Army as the leading medic stationed in Okinawa, Japan, for four years. Dr. Newton worked for forty-one years as a caring dermatologist for Steiger, Mitchner and Newton, which later became Dermatologist Associates. Graham had a wonderful sense of humor and a unique way of making people feel good through his many stories and jokes. Survivors include his three nephews, Dana, Tom and Craig Winslow. In lieu of flowers, send donations to WDAV, Davidson College, P.O. Box 7178, Davidson, NC 28035-7178.
Warren Sims, Jr. '51 of Cartersville, Ga., died December 26, 2005. He was an organizational founder of Shaw Industries, having joined the carpet industry from the banking business at First National Bank of Dalton. He was an Eagle Boy Scout and was commissioned First Lieutenant in the Korean Conflict, and awarded the Bronze Star for his service as an expert in Chinese Order of Battle. He was a lifelong Presbyterian, serving the Dalton church well. The Sims family moved to Cartersville in 1965. Mr. Sims began his long career as a vice president of the newly established Shaw Industries. He served Shaw Industries in Dalton from 1972 until his retirement in 1992. He enjoyed golf, travel, and faithfully leading his church and family. Survivors include his wife, Anne Jones Sims, 7 Walnut Dr. Cartersville, Ga. 30120; and children; Mary Ellen Gurley, Warren III and Rhoda Sims, of Dalton, Ga.; Lee Sims, of Dewey, Ariz., and Robert Sims, of Cartersville. Grandchildren are Anne Gurley and John Gurley, Jr., Vivian Sims and Jarvis Sims, Erin and Elise Sims. A sister, Mary Gene Dykes, of Dalton and niece and nephews also survive.
Richard Armistead Boyd ’52 of Statesville, N.C., passed away on September 18, 2005, after a lengthy illness. He earned his medical degree from the University of North Carolina Medical School in 1956, and completed a residency in obstetrics-gynecology at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Ga. He was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. He was president of the Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-med fraternity at Davidson College, as well as captain of the Scabbard ad Blade Military Honor Society. He was vice-president of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was a longtime member of the Ne Ultra Society at Davidson College. He served in the U.S. Navy as general medical officer in Green Cove Springs, Fla. He retired from the Navy with the rank of lieutenant commander. He served as a chief of ob-gyn at Davis Hospital, Statesville, N.C., then as medical director. He was a founding member of and former chairman of the ob-gyn department of Piedmont Health Care. He was a Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology; Diplomate, American Board of Ob-Gyn; and a member of the American Medical Association, the N.C. Medical Society, and the Emory Ob-Gyn Society. In 1993, he received the Alumni Distinguished Service Award, UNC School of Medicine. He was a member of the Statesville Kiwanis Club, served as chairman of the board of ElderCenter, professional chairman of the United Way, medical director of Red Cross, and board member of the Salvation Army. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, a former leader of the Boy Scouts, and board chairman and member of the Allison Woods Foundation. A member of First Presbyterian Church, he served as a deacon, elder, and choir member. He was a delegate to the General Assembly, former youth leader and teacher. Survivors include his wife of fifty-one years, Elizabeth 'Betty' Stimson Boyd. 512 West End Ave., Statesville, N.C. 28677daughter, Elizabeth Boyd Rader and husband, Frank ’71, of Mooresville; son, Richard Armistead Boyd, Jr. of Statesville; son, Martin Anderson Boyd and wife, Lilia, of Sterling, Va; four grandchildren, Christopher, Ashlon, and Alston Boyd, and Ellie Rader; a brother, Robert 'Ty' Burwell Boyd and wife, Pat; sister-in-law, Nancy S. Hall; and three nephews and six nieces.
S. Dewey Keesler ’52, formerly of Charlotte, N.C. and Pawleys Island, S.C., died August 9, 2005, in Sanford, Fla. He and his three brothers played for a series of highly rated tennis teams at Davidson in the 1940s and 1950s and together received a Special Recognition Award from the N.C. Tennis Foundation in 1991. He served in the U.S. Army from 1952–55 as a lieutenant and rifle instructor. He then began a long career in insurance in Charlotte rising to president of Westbrook, Norton and Keesler Insurance and, after the firm's acquisition, serving as senior vice president and manager of BB&T/Westbrook Insurance. He retired in 1995. He chaired the Mecklenburg-Medical Auxiliary Endowment (MMAE's Inn) and supported Davidson College as an alumnus. In addition to his family, his passions included playing tennis, hunting, car racing, and sailing. He was preceded in death by two older brothers, Edward Y. Keesler ’50 and Lenoir C. Keesler ’49. Survivors include his wife Susan Keesler, 4871 Red Brick Run, Sanford, Fla. 32771-7110; a son, Singleton Dewey Keesler, Jr. of Concord, Mass.; a daughter, Anne Keesler Jones of Niceville, Fla.; three stepdaughters, Sherron Lockett-Jones and Lynne Lockett-Tucker, both of Charlotte; and Kate Lockett Biggmann of Sanford, Fla.; a young brother, Drury Lacy Keesler ’55, of Charlotte and Litchfield Beach, S.C.; and six grandchildren.
William C. Elliott ’54 died December 4, 2005, in Indianapolis, Ind., where he had lived since completing medical training. He was a graduate of UNC Chapel Hill Medical School and served his internship at Peterbent Brigham Hospital in Boston. He started the first hospital-based hospice in the United States at Methodist Hospital and was an assistant professor at Indiana University and an assistant clinical professor of medicine at Indiana University. He was instrumental in founding the first Cath Lab at Kranner Institute if Cardiology. He was a member of the Marion County Society, the Indiana Medical Society, American Federation of Clinical Research, American College of Cardiologists. He was also a member of Trinity Episcopal Church. Survivors include his wife of forty-eight years, Betty Porter Elliott, 7334 Lions Head Dr., Indianapolis, Ind. 46260; three daughters, Virginia E. O'Neill, Elizabeth E. Hodge, and Mary E. Smith, a son, Dr. William C. Elliott, Jr.; a brother, Dr. James J. Elliott ’48 of Davidson, N.C.; and ten grandchildren.
Ralph Ewart Petree, Jr. ’54 of Pinehurst, N.C. died November 6, 2005. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Charlotte. He attended Virginia Medical Dental School from 54-57, before going to work with ICI Americas, Inc. (AstraZeneca) as a chemist. He retired as an executive with the company in Marietta, GA in 1991, before moving to Pinehurst. During his career he lived in North Carolina, Connecticut, Delaware and Georgia. In Pinehurst, he was active in the Pinehurst Tennis Members Club, N.C. Lawn and Tennis Club, and a certified USTA instructor. He taught McDonalds Chapel young peoples tennis camp, and played competitively with the Chattahoochee Plantation Club in the GA area. He was also an avid hunter and a member of the Southern Pines Shooting Club. Survivors include his wife, Sallie McAfee Petree, P.O. Box 4665, Pinehurst, N.C. 28374; son, Jeffrey H. Petree of Beaverton, Ore.; daughter, Sally Ann Wilson of Marietta, Ga.; his sister, Margaret Leah Holder of Rock Hill, S.C.; stepson, Charles Wamsley, Jr. of Atlanta, Ga.; stepdaughters, Sallie M. Saxon of Charlotte, Mollie M. Lloyd of Kernersville, and Alma Rittenberry of Nashville, Tenn.; six step grandchildren; and two step great grandchildren.
Ronald Vance Lanford, M.D. ’58 of Charleston, S.C., formerly of Spartanburg, SC, passed away on December 20, 2005. He was a graduate of the Medical College of S.C. He practiced ophthalmology in Spartanburg for seventeen years. He was a long time member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Spartanburg where he served as deacon, elder, and choir member. He was a current member of First (Scots) Presbyterian Church in Charleston. He had been a board member of United Way of Spartanburg County, the Spartanburg County Medical Society, Habitat for Humanity and was a founding member of the Piedmont Audubon Society where he served as President and Treasurer. He was preceded in death by his wife, Sallie McSwain Lanford. Survivors include two daughters, Allison Lanford Smith, 112 Chadwick Dr., Charleston, S.C. 29407 and husband Timothy, and Mary Curtis Pizzano and husband George of Atlanta, one sister, Ann Myrl Lanford Gibert and husband James M. Gibert of Woodruff, and four grandchildren: Justin Anthony Pizzano, Joseph Griffin Pizzano, Thomas Lanford Pizzano, and Clara McCallum Smith and several nieces and nephews.
Francis P. "Pete" Coleman Jr. '59 of Colonial Heights, Va., died November 28, 2005. He was retired owner of Hicklin-Coleman, Inc. and Coleman's of Virginia, He was a member and former chairman of the Colonial Heights School Board. He was active in numerous youth organizations and was chairman of the administrative board of Highland United Methodist Church. Survivors include his wife, Sandra B. Coleman, 1024 Hoperidge Ct., Colonial Heights, Va. 23834; a son, Fred P. Coleman and wife, Robin, of Colonial Heights; daughters, Elizabeth C. Helfant ’84 of St. Louis, Mo., Katherine C. Ruse and husband, Edward, of Midlothian; and nine grandchildren, Katherine, Spenser and Josie Coleman, Alexis and Trevor Ruse, and Michael, Matthew, Timothy and Rebecca Helfant.
William Henry Carr ’60 of Winston-Salem, N.C., passed away November 16, 2005. He was an educator for thirty-three years at Summit School. He served in various committees at St. Paul's Episcopal Church and helped start Salem Montessori School. Survivors include his wife, Angela Strong Carr, 6001 Salemtowne Dr., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106; two sons, Andrew Carr and wife Madelene of Pfafftown and Stephen Carr and wife Angela of Wilmington; three grandchildren, Alexander, Isabella and Nicholas; and a sister, Florence Carr Dickerson, and husband William T. of Durham.
John Parker Denton ’61 of Somerset, Ky. died October 13, 2005. He attended Louisville (Ky.) Theological Seminary and earned an M.S.W. from the University of Kentucky and worked in the field of human resources.
Tim Kimrey ’65 died peacefully in his Chapel Hill home on February 22 at the age of 63. After graduating from Davidson, he attended Union Theological Seminary in New York, earning a master of divinity degree in 1971. He spent a sabbatical year at Union Theological Seminary and Jewish Theological Seminary in New York, earning a master of sacred theology degree in Biblical studies in 1980. Tim was ordained in 1970 as a Minister of Word and Sacrament by the former Granville Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, US. He served intern positions at various Presbyterian churches in New York and at Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church and Davie Street United Presbyterian Church in Raleigh. He served a stated supply position at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Durham and served as pastor at the Church of Reconciliation in Chapel Hill. He honorably retired as a member of New Hope Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church, USA in 1991. Following his ministry, he devoted himself to art and to promoting house concerts through Afternoon Nap Productions. Tim served various positions with the Durham-based Low Income Housing Development Corporation of North Carolina, and then as director of the Experimental Housing Allowance Program of the Durham County Department of Social Services. He served two terms as chairperson of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro Ministers' Association. He was appointed by the Orange County Commissioners to serve as the first Chairperson of the Orange County Human Relations Commission and received the commission's first annual Pauli Murray Human Rights Award in 1990. He also served on the advisory board of Manbites Dog Theater in Durham. Tim is survived by his daughter, Erin Kimrey, 2417 Shenandoah Ave., Durham, N.C. 2704-4257, and her partner, Jen Snider; his uncle, Willis Kimrey, of Huntsville, Ala.; cousins, Bill Kimrey, Joie Black and David Kimrey, all of Alabama; his sister, Elizabeth Kimrey of Raleigh.
Stanley Roy Kerr ’66, a resident of Evanston, Ill., for thirty years, died April 7, 2003. He received a doctoral degree from Yale University in New Haven, Conn., and was a professor of philosophy at Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago. He was preceded in death by his father, Dr. George R. Kerr. Survivors include his wife of thirty years, Joan Hakkio Kerr, 2503 Noyes Ave., Evanston, Ill. 60201; son Russell J. Kerr of Chicago; daughter Bevitt Kerr; his mother, Ella Kerr of Roswell, Ga.; and brother Steven of Canton, Ga.
David Scott Davis ’70, formerly of Kingsport, Tenn., passed away on Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at Boston Medical Center, Boston, Mass., following complications with the disease primary amyloidosis. He attended Davidson where he played basketball and later graduated from East Tennessee State University. Most of his working life, Scott owned and operated Pharmaceutical Development Associates, a clinical research company. He was president of the Kingsport United Methodist Youth Fellowship during 1965-1966. He was a Life Member of The Mountain Retreat & Learning Centers in Highlands, N.C. and a member of the Piedmont Unitarian Universalist Church in Charlotte, N.C. He was an avid scuba diver, bridge player, and hiker. Survivors include his wife, Darla Odum Davis, 8701 Mallard Creek Rd, Charlotte, N.C. 28262; stepdaughter, Amy McKay and husband Rick, of Bradenton, Fla.; stepson, Jeff Spratling and wife Lara, of Bernie, Mo.; parents, Herman and Jean Davis, of Kingsport; two sisters, Judy Hicks and husband Lynn, of Kingsport, Martha Parker and husband Joe, of Blountville, Tenn.; and several nieces and nephews.
Frank Richard Miller Jr. ’77 died February 9, 2006, at Northside-Forsyth Hospital in Cumming. He was a member of Cross of Life Lutheran Church in Roswell, Ga. Survivors include hs wife, Alice Egerton Miller ’79, 1525 Heritage Dr, Cumming, Ga. 30041-7262; his mother, Charlotte Pomeroy Miller of Thomasville, Ga.; two sisters, Cayla M. and Tony Richardson of Sugar Hill, Margaret and Randy Harvey of Thomasville; a brother, Russel P. and Betty Miller of Thomasville; his mother and father-in-law, Dr. and Mrs. Courtney Egerton of Asheville, N.C.; sister-in-law, Barbara E. and Tim Tillery of Laurel, Miss.; brother-in-law, Stuart and Karen Egerton of Wilmington, N.C.; eight nieces; and three nephews.
Burt Fowler Taylor III ’84 of Memphis, Tenn., died on January 9, 2006, in Nashville, Tenn. He attended UMS, received a B.A. from Davidson College and an M.B.A. from Tulane University. Survivors include his parents, Dr. Burt F. Taylor and Weezie Taylor, 6013 Sussex Dr., Mobile, Ala. 36604; a sister, Tammy Taylor Padilla and her husband, Tim, and their three children from Denver, Colo., and one aunt, Lucy Jane Taylor, of Nashville, Tenn. In lieu of flowers, consider donations to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society, Suite 220, 100 Chase Park South, Birmingham, Alabama 35244.