Joseph Chalmers Biggs ’32
Richard Noble Aycock, Jr. '39
Rankin M. “Happyrock” Gladstone ’34
Hugh A. Wilson ’34
John Monroe Douglas ’35
Thomas Lee Ross ’36
William Harrison Higgins, Jr. '37
Joseph Howard Woodward ’39
Dr. Thomas S. Perrin ’40
Otho Albea Dearman ’41
Jack Wiley Westall ’42
Byrum Brevard Brookshire ’43
Dr. Murphey Candler Wilds ’44
The Rev. James A. Nisbet ’46
Raymond G. Miller ’46
James Carver Wood Jr. ’48
Moody L. Chisholm, Jr. ’49
Lee B. Talbert ’52
Robert Holmes Jones ’55
Huger Sinkler King, Jr. ’57
W. M. “Mickey” Thrower ’60
Jerry Byron Blackstock ’66
G. Lamont Atkinson ’74
Josiah A.P. Cameron ’09
Joseph Chalmers Biggs ’32 of Lumberton, N.C., died April 9, 2006. He was elected Robeson Country coroner in the early 1970s and remained in the job until 1989. He owned Biggs Funeral Home in Lumberton until he retired in 2000. He attended Davidson before graduating from N.C. State University with a degree in architectural engineering. He also graduated from the Cincinnati School of Mortuary Science. He had been a member of the First Presbyterian Church since 1923, where he served as a deacon and elder. He was a member of the Rotary Club, where he received the Paul Harris Fellows Award, and was a member of the Robeson County Shrine Club. He was also a member of St. Alban’s Lodge for more than sixty years, a member of the N.C. Funeral Directors Association, and was on the board of directors of United Carolina Bank. Survivors include his wife of thirty years, Mary McIntyre Biggs, 508 W. 32nd Street, Lumberton, N.C. 28358; a daughter, Susan B. Kelly; two stepsons, Mackie McIntyre and Stewart McIntyre, both of Lumberton; a brother, Dennis W. Biggs, Jr. of Spokane, Wash.; a grandson; and two step-grandchildren.
Richard Noble Aycock, Jr. ’39 of Smithfield, N.C. died May 20, 2006. After he graduated from Davidson with a degree in math and physics, he taught high school mathematics in Rowan County. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps Weather Division at the rank of technical sergeant in the China-Burma-India Theatre during World War II. He and his wife settled in Smithfield, N.C. and he established Aycock Propane Gas Service. He retired after thirty-three years in January 1980. For several years he also operated Aycock Pecan, a purchasing station, in Smithfield, N.C. He joined Centenary United Methodist Church in 1947 and served as secretary of the Sunday school division for many years. He was a member of the Rotary Club and served as president in 1962-1963 and as secretary for twenty years. He was awarded Paul Harris Fellow by Rotary International. He was a member of the American Legion Pou-Parrish Post in Smithfield, N.C. and was the athletic officer for American Legion Baseball in Smithfield for twenty-seven years. He was inducted into the American Legion Baseball Hall of Fame in 1991. He was a member of the China-Burma-India Veterans Association. He was a member of the Johnston County Voiture 1517 Forty and Eight (40/8) Legionnaires Group and served as “Chef de Gare” (president) of the group as well as other supportive offices. In the 1960s Mr. Aycock called for the Smithfield Squares (an adult square dance club) and established and called a teenage square dance club in Wilson’s Mills, N.C. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Evelyn Turner Aycock, 901 S. Second St., Smithfield, N.C. 27577; his son, Richard Noble Aycock, III of Garner, N.C., and his daughter, Frances Aycock Kiker of Salem, Va. He also leaves five grandsons: Mr. Aycock's siblings are William Aycock ’41 of Fayetteville, N.C., the late Jane Aycock Sigmon of Myrtle Beach, S.C., Everett Aycock of Elizabethton, Tenn., and Daniel Aycock of Rock Hill, SC.
Rankin M. “Happyrock” Gladstone ’34 of Greensboro, N.C., died peacefully March 28, 2006, at his home. He was a member of the Avant Garde of Davidson College, a former member of the High Point Rotary Club, and organizing/charter member and elder of Forest Hills Presbyterian Church in High Point. After retirement from Northwestern Mutual Life, he worked for the Guilford County Tax Department in property re-evaluation; he was known as one of the best senior golfers in Guilford County. Among his proudest accomplishments in mortgage loan and real estate investment deals was the building of the Granville Towers Complex in Chapel Hill. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Margaret Murchison Gladstone and his son, Kent Gladstone. Survivors include his wife, Katherine Anderson Russell Gladstone, 3504 Flint St., Apt. B106, Greensboro, N.C. 27405-3273; daughter Ms. Lynn G. Parker of Charlottesville, Va.; stepdaughter Rebecca R. Albright of Summerfield; stepson Stephen Russell of Charlotte; two grandchildren four step grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Memorials may be made to the First Presbyterian Church, Pastors Discretionary Fund, 611 N. Elm St., Greensboro, N.C. 27401; Buffalo Presbyterian Church, Missions Fund, 803 16th St., Greensboro, N.C. 27405; Davidson College, 102 N Main St., Davidson, N.C. 28036; Alamance Presbyterian Church Cemetery Fund, 4000 Presbyterian Rd., Greensboro, N.C. 27406; or to Hospice and Palliative Care of Greensboro, 2600 Summit Ave, Greensboro, N.C. 27405.
Hugh A. Wilson ’34 of Lakeland, Fla., died February 19, 2006. After graduation from Davidson he began working with his father at Wilson Funeral Home which later became Biggs Funeral Home. He also worked at Wilson National Life Insurance with his father which later became Gulf Life Insurance. He owned Wilson, Inc., a real estate business where he worked for half days until his death. He was president of Wilson Springs, Inc., a 480-acre development on the Santa Fe River. He was a member of the National Guard and served in World War II. He earned several military honors, including the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. He was active in the community. He belonged to the Lake City Chamber of Commerce for more than fifty-five years and was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Rotary International of Lake City, and Masons. Survivors include his wife, Rose-Marie Gabler Wilson, 743 SW Lake Montgomery Ave., Lake City, Fla. 32025; sons, Lt. Col. (Ret.) Hugh A. Wilson II, Jacksonville, Fla., and Dr. James W. Wilson ’66 of Houston, Texas; four step-children; six grandchildren; twelve great grandchildren; and eight step grandchildren.
John Monroe Douglas ’35, a retired Charlotte internist, died April 14, 2006. In 1939, he received his medical degree from Duke University Medical School. He received further medical training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He earned a master’s of science in medicine from the University of Minnesota in 1949. During World War II, Dr. Douglas served as a captain in the U.S. Army and spent four years in the Pacific Theatre. In 1949, Dr. Douglas established an internal medicine practice with a speciality in cardiology in Charlotte, which he maintained until his retirement in 1987. He served as chair of the Department of Medicine and chief of staff at Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte, chair of the Department of Medicine at Mercy Hospital in Charlotte, and associate clinical professor of medicine for the University of North Carolina at Charlotte Memorial Hospital. He was also a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and served a term as president of the Mecklenburg County Heart Association. He was an active Methodist layman at First United Methodist Church of Charlotte and Providence United Methodist Church of Charlotte and served on the administrative board of Providence Methodist. He also was a life member of the board of directors of the Methodist Home in Charlotte. In 1951, he married Marjorie Lutz Douglas of Shelby, who died in 2002. The couple had three sons: Dr. John M. Douglas, Jr. ’74 of Atlanta, Ga. (wife, Dr. Jan J. Douglas); James O. Douglas, of Nashville, Tenn. (wife, Lou C. Douglas); and Davison M. Douglas of Williamsburg, Va. (wife, Kathryn R. Urbonya). In 2004, Dr. Douglas married Eleanor Hayes Barnhardt of Charlotte. He is survived by his wife, Eleanor Barnhardt Douglas, 8919 Park Rd. Apt. 38, Charlotte, N.C. 28210, his three sons, six grandchildren (Dr. Mira Merker ’95 of Denver; Peter Douglas, who currently lives in Namibia; Alice Douglas and Jack Douglas of Atlanta; and Davey Douglas and Grace Douglas of Nashville) and many beloved nieces and nephews. He is also survived by two stepsons, James H. Barnhardt of Charlotte (wife, Dottie Barnhardt) and Sadler H. Barnhardt of Charlotte (wife, Debbie Barnhardt). In addition to his parents, Dr. Douglas was preceded in death by his sister, Margaret Douglas Link ’38.
Thomas Lee Ross ’36 died May 6, 2006, at Northeast Medical Center with his family by his side. A lover of fine music, art and food, Mr. Ross slipped away as his children helped him eat strawberry ice cream. Mr. Ross had been a resident of The Pines at Davidson for four years. Mr. Ross grew up on West Depot Street, what is now Cabarrus Avenue. President of student government at Concord High, he was a graduate of Harvard Business School and remained close to Davidson and Harvard throughout his life. He generously supported the classical music radio station WDAV. He traveled throughout the United States and Europe became a lover of the Ross and Leslie tartans. He was with a Concord group attending the 1939 World's Fair in New York when RCA demonstrated a new technology—television—for the first time, broadcasting a speech by President Roosevelt. A skilled amateur tennis player and golfer, he competed in events at the Cabarrus County Country Club and attended the French Open, Wimbledon, and the U.S. Open tennis tournaments. After graduate school, Mr. Ross worked as Mr. C.A. Cannon's personal assistant. In 1949, he joined Cabarrus Bank and Trust Co. and became bank director, vice president and trust officer, president and trust officer, and chairman in 1972. After the bank's merger with Northwestern, Mr. Ross was regional executive vice president until his retirement in 1984. He stayed on as chairman of the local Northwestern board. He served as president and director of the Cannon Foundation and was an active member of the Concord Rotary Club and a deacon and elder at First Presbyterian Church. He received an honorary doctorate from Barber-Scotia College and the Wingate Medallion from the trustees of Wingate College. He was preceded in death by an infant son, Marshall Dean Ross, and by his first wife, Jane Capus Ivey. Survivors include his wife, Doris Ross of Davidson and seven children: Elizabeth Jane Ross Bare of Concord; Thomas Lee Ross III of Blowing Rock; Leslie Calvin Ross of Raleigh; Rebecca Hannah Patten of Concord; Walter White Hannah of Concord; David Fuller Ross of Black Mountain; and Laura Ross Loehr, M.D. ’89, of Durham; nine grandchildren: Elizabeth Warren-Mikes of Chicago; Adelle, William and Hannah Ross Patten of Concord; Caroline Ross of Charleston, S.C., and Hadley Ross of Washington, D.C.; Laura Hannah of Swannanoa and Ross Hannah of Raleigh; and Millicent Loehr of Durham; and one great-granddaughter: Caroline Elizabeth Mikes of Chicago.
Dr. William Harrison Higgins Jr. ’37 died March 10, 2006. He graduated from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy on a destroyer in the Pacific during World War II. He practiced medicine from 1948 to 1986, was an assistant professor of medicine at the Medical College of Virginia, and served as president and chairman of the Richmond Academy of Medicine and as president of the Richmond Heart Association. His civic activities included serving on the Board of Trustees of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts for twenty-two years, and as its president from 1972 to 1977; the Board of Governors of the Greater Richmond Community Foundation, and as its president from 1978 to 1985; Planned Parenthood; and the Citizens Advisory Committee on furnishing the Governor's Mansion. He was a lifelong member of Second Presbyterian Church, and served on its Board of Deacons and Elders. Survivors include his wife, Emily Peyton Higgins, 8 Ellensview Cir., Richmond, Va. 23226, and their three children, W. Harrison Higgins III ’71, Elizabeth A. Higgins, and Emily Higgins Kilvert. He is also survived by seven grandchildren (W. Harrison Higgins IV ’01) , three great-grandchildren; and his brother, Laurance Herrick Higgins. He was preceded by his grandson, Philip Wagener Higgins.
Joseph Howard Woodward ’39 of Tallahassee, Fla.,a retired banker, died Tuesday, April 11, 2006, in Brunswick, Ga. After graduating from Davidson, he joined the Army Air Force and served during World War II. He returned to Quincy and began a career at the Citizens Bank and Trust Co. He served as president and vice chairman. He also was president of Lewis State Bank in Tallahassee from 1974 to 1976. After his retirement, he moved to Tallahassee where he lived until January, when the family moved to a retirement community on St. Simons Island. A lifelong Presbyterian, he was a ruling elder of First Presbyterian Church until the late 1980s. He was most recently a member of Fellowship Presbyterian Church, where he served as an elder and elder emeritus. He also served as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Presbyterian Church (USA) Foundation. Survivors include his wife of sixty-two years, Norma Sherman Woodward. Other survivors include six children, Jane Woodward Wilkinson of Jacksonville, Joseph Allen Woodward ’72 of Charlotte, N.C., Thomas S. Woodward of Atlanta, David K. Woodward of Tallahassee, Frank N. Woodward ’79 of Naples, and Diana Woodward of St. Simons Island; six grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; two brothers, William D. Woodward Sr. and D. Sylvester Woodward, both of Quincy; two sisters, Fenton W. McLean Washburn of Jacksonville and Laura Augusta W. Jordan of Tallahassee; and nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by a brother, Perry L. Woodward ’41, and a sister, Margaret W. Adans.
Dr. Thomas S. Perrin ’40 of Charlotte died May 2, 2006. At Davidson he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Kappa Alpha fraternity. He attended UNC Chapel Hill and then Johns Hopkins Medical School and graduated second in his class at each. In the fall of 1944, he entered the Army after interning a year at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He served as battalion surgeon in combat in Germany and Austria and returned to inactive duty with the rank of major. He took a residency at Massachusetts Memorial Hospital in Boston and followed with a research fellowship in the field of antibiotics. He taught at Boston University and at Harvard, and in 1949 undertook further training at Bellevue Hospital in New York City. In 1952, he married Jane Anderson of Shawano, Wisconsin, and they moved to Charlotte. He worked for a year as a resident in pathology at Charlotte Memorial Hospital. He co-founded a medical practice with James M. Alexander, M.D., and Hugh D. Verner, M.D., which is now Mecklenburg Medical Group. Survivors include his wife, Jane A. Perrin, 3613 Havenwood Rd, Charlotte, N.C. 28205; daughters, Jane E. Perrin, Ph.D. and husband, William O. Cooke of Greensboro, N.C., and Katherine L. Perrin of Charlotte; grandsons, Thomas Perrin Cooke and William Winstead Cooke; numerous cousins; honorary daughter, Annette Harper; honorary grandson, Austin Harper; and close friends, Rosemary Lands and Lula Ashley.
Otho Albea Dearman ’41 of Statesville, N.C., died March 31, 2006. Following graduation from Davidson he was commissioned an ensign in the U.S. Navy and served four-and-a-half years during World War II. He participated in the battles of Guam and Pelilou Islands in the Pacific Theatre and served as captain of Subchaser 1828. He was honorably discharged in Washington, D.C. in September 1945. He was co-founder of Printcrafters, Inc. where he was active until March 2006. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Statesville, since 1948, serving as deacon, elder, Sunday school teacher, youth adviser, Scoutmaster and an officer of the Men’s Bible Class. Survivors include his beloved wife of sixty-one years, the former Thelma Brown, 706 Hedrick Dr., Statesville, N.C. 28677; a son, Robert M. Dearman of Davidson, N.C.; one sister, Evelyn D. Andrews; and three brothers, Charles A. Dearman, Dr. John H. Dearman, and James D. Bearman. He was preceded in death by two infant sons, a sister, and a brother.
Jack Wiley Westall ’42 of Asheville, died on February 10, 2006. The owner and manager of J. M. Westall Company, he attended Asheville city schools and Davidson College. His fifty years in Rotary included a term as president. The Boy Scouts of America honored him with the Silver Beaver award in 1993 for his years as outstanding volunteer and board member for the Daniel Boone Council. Mr. Westall was also a former member of the Rhododendron Brigade of Guards, Zeb Vance Debating Society and a member of the Board of Directors of the Southern Appalachian Repertory Theater. He was preceded in death by a daughter, Jane Westall Fox, a brother, James M. Westall '27 and a sister, Anne Westall Paine. Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Ann Huntington Westall; son, Jack Wiley Westall Jr. and wife, Mary Jane, of Asheville; sister, Mary Mitchell Westall Large of Augusta, Ga., granddaughters, Emily Fox Williams and husband, Alan, of Elko, Minn., Courtenay Westall Gabriel and husband, Christopher, of Atlanta and Mary Camille Westall of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; grandson, Jack Wiley Westall III of Washington, D.C.; two great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Byrum Brevard Brookshire ’43 of Charlotte, N.C. died May 6, 2006. He was better known to those close to him as 'Chief.' He served his country in World War II in the 110th Combat Engineer Battalion unit and was stationed in the Philippines and Okinawa. The red, white and blue baseball cap he wore every day during his last years only began to tell the story of his love for country. Another of his loves was the Salvation Army, where he served on the advisory board for nineteen years. He was a building contractor, property manager, and real estate appraiser. He served as president of Charlotte Property Management as well as president of the Charlotte Chapter of Real Estate Appraisers. He was a founding member of Providence United Methodist Church in Charlotte. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Judy. Survivors include his wife of sixty years, Virginia Mewborn Brookshire, 6038 Preston Ln., Charlotte, N.C. 28226; daughters, Lynn Brookshire Efird (George) and Ann Brookshire (Joe Grier, III); son, Jim Brookshire (Linda Peterson); grandchildren, David Efird, Scott Efird (Alison), Jeffrey Brookshire, Randall Brookshire, Michael Brookshire, Laura Grier, and Lindsay Grier; great-grandson, Tate Efird.
Dr. Murphey Candler Wilds ’44 of Oxford, Miss., died April 21, 2005. He was a retired minister for the First Presbyterian Church in Oxford. He also served pastorates in North Carolina, Senatobia, Oxford, Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Denton, Texas. He was the stated clerk and pastor to pastors of St. Andrew Presbytery. Survivors include his wife, Mary Rose Wilds, 712 South Lamar Blvd., Oxford, Miss. 38655; two sons, Scott Wilds of Philadelphia, Pa., and Mitch Wilds of Louisburg, N.C.; a sister, Annie W. Mauney of Pensacola, Fla.; two grandchildren.
The Rev. James A. Nisbet ’46 of Sanford, N.C., died March 2, 2006. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va. He also did graduate work at the University of Richmond, Church Development Executives, and the National Training Management Laboratory. He was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity and Phi Mu Alpha honorary musical fraternity. He served two pastorates in Presbyterian churches in Olivia and Wallace. He was a staff member for twenty years at the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. Board of Christian Education, serving as regional director of Christian education in Mississippi, as director of children’s work, and as secretary of the Division of Education and Parish Life. Following his service as a staff member of the Board of Christian Education, he was the executive of the Presbyterian Synod of the Southeast for fifteen years with offices in Augusta, Ga. He retired from that position in 1988. During his ministry, he served as a trustee for Queens College (Charlotte) and the board of directors of Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Ga. He also served in numerous other committees and councils among them, president of the Georgia Church Council, moderator of North Mississippi and Piedmont Presbyteries and as a commissioner severals times to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. He was a member of Foothills Presbytery; active member of the Rotary Clubs in Augusta, Wallace, and Sanford; and was president-elect of the Wallace Rotary Clubv when he moved from Wallace. He was married first to Shirley Ruffner Burnside of Malden, W.Va., and after her death to Jean Patton Johnson, 1932 Larkspur Dr., Sanford, N.C. 27330. Other survivors include four daughters, Elizabeth Lynn Nisbert of Chesterfield, Va., Nancy Reid Nisbet of Richmond, Va., Mary Nisbet Asbury of Rome, Ga., and Virginia Alice Nisbet of Atlanta; four step-children, Lynn Johnson McCullough, Bryant Patton Johnson, Jo Ann Johnson Eskridge, and Julie Johnson Conder; a brother, William L. Nisbet, two sisters, Phoebe Nisbet Kinlaw and Margaret Nisbet Kittrell; five grandchildren, and one great-grand child.
Raymond G. Miller ’46 of Greenbrae, Calif., died March 15, 2006. Survivors include his loving wife, Dorothy M. Miller, 175 Upper Via Casitas Apt. 19, Greenbrae, Calif. 94904; three children, Marian, Susan and Raymond, and three grandchildren.
James Carver Wood Jr. '49 died Thursday, April 27, 2006, in Toledo, Ohio. He attended Davidson College and received an engineering degree from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1949. After serving in the Army in the Korean War, he joined Ford Motor Company in 1951. His work with Ford began in Charlotte and after serving throughout the country, he retired from Ford in Detroit in 1985. Shortly thereafter, he joined the British Automotive Group in suburban Detroit. At the same time, he partnered with Bruce Tyndall Engineering as they developed products for the automotive companies. He was active in every church to which he belonged, serving as an usher, administrative board member, and Bible study groups. Mr. Wood was a former Mason and a member of the Lions Club. He was an active member of the United Methodist Men’s Club as well as the Northwest Ohio Emmaus Community. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Nancy Lutz Wood, 3412 Piney Pointe Toledo, Ohio 43617-1156; a son, J. Carver Wood III of Bryan; a daughter, Ann W. Rehmann of O’Fallon, Mo.; three grandsons, E. Richard Rehmann III and Mitchell J. Rehmann of O’Fallon, Mo., and Casey J. Wood of Bryan; and many extended family members.
Moody L. Chisholm, Jr. ’49 of Lakeland, Fla., died July 20, 2005. He was a tenor soloist, conductor, and co-founder of the Bach Festival of Central Florida. He earned his master's in sacred music from Union Theological Seminary in New York. After moving to Polk County, Fla., in 1955, he served as choir and music director of Beymer Memorial Methodist Church in Winter Haven, First Methodist Church in Lakeland, and First Presbyterian Church in Winter Haven, from which he retired in 1989. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church in Lakeland where he sang in the choir. Known to his friends as “Moo,” he performed in classical and sacred music productions as a tenor soloist and conductor. In 1975, he and Virginia Davidson founded the Bach Festival of Central Florida. Survivors include his wife of fifty-three years, Dorathea Janssen Chisholm, 2006 Fredericksburg Pl, Lakeland, Fla. 33803-2568; a daughter, Lynn Chisholm; a son, Moody L. Chisholm, Jr.; a sister, Alice Griffith; and three grandchildren.
Lee B. Talbert ’52 of Edgewater, Fla., died April 10, 2006. At Davidson, he played baseball and football and was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was a sales agent for Paul Revere Life Insurance of Asheville, N.C., before his retirement. Survivors include his sons, Bruce L. Talbert, Edward W. Talbert, and a daughter Laura C. Talbert.
Dr. Robert Holmes Jones ’55 of Macon, Ga., died November 26, 2005, at his residence. At Davidson, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. He received his doctor of medicine degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, in 1959. After completing an internal medicine internship and residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida, he completed an additional residency in gastroenterology at the V.A. Hospital in Miami. He then returned to Macon, starting a private practice in internal medicine and gastroenterology. He retired from the practice of medicine in 1997. He was a member of the Bibb County, Georgia, Southern and American Medical Associations; member and adjutant of the Gen. Edward Dorr Tracy, Jr. Camp #18 Sons of Confederate Veterans, Idle Hour Country Club, and served on the first board of trustees of First Presbyterian Day School. He was a former deacon and choir member of First Presbyterian Church. He moved his membership to North Macon Presbyterian Church in 1990. He held memberships in the Scottish Harp Society, the Morning Music Club, the Macon Opera Guild and was a former member of the board of the Macon Concert Association. Survivors include his wife, Kathryn Jarvis Jones, 285 Riverdale Dr., Macon, Ga. 31204; and four daughters and their families in Macon, Eleanor Jones and Mark Farriba, Amelia Jones Bradham, Elizabeth Jones and Dr. Rob Sumowski, Ann Jones and John Hart IV; and ten grandchildren. He is also survived by a brother, Samuel P. Jones ’66 (Denny) of Macon; a sister, Molly Jones of Atlanta; sister-in-law, Dallis J. Jones of Macon; brother-in-law, Judge James Jarvis (Gail) of Knoxville, Tenn.; and sister-in-law, Pam Jarvis Miller (Mike) of Maryville, Tenn.
Huger Sinkler King, Jr. ’57 died May 13, 2006. He served in the Navy as an executive officer on the USS Portunas and the USS Yamacraw. In 1963 he graduated from UNC Chapel Hill Law School and later returned to Greensboro to practice law. Having retired from his law practice in Greensboro, he married and started a new chapter in his life with a new family. In 2001 Huger and Josie moved permanently to Wilmington. Huger is survived by his loving wife of twenty years, Josephine Gregory Robson King, 514 Santa Maria Ave., Wilmington, N.C. 28411-7642; his children, Anna King Dollar and her husband, Bob of Concord, Elizabeth King Burns and her husband, Derek of Hillsborough, Greg Robson and his wife, Lisa of Atlanta, Ga, Laura Robson Voigt and her husband, Phil of Dallas, Texas, Chris Robson of Greensboro, Page Robson ’92 of Wilmington, Lisa Robson of Greensboro; seven grandchildren; his siblings, Richie King ’59 and his wife, Patty of Davidson, N.C., Rinda King de Beck of Greensboro, and Michael King and his wife, Susan of Mt. Airy. Also surviving him are: his uncle, Carl Carlson, Jr. ’37, his wife, Anne of Greensboro; his aunt, Laurinda Carlson Schenck of Yeaman's Hall, SC; four beloved nieces and three nephews who brought him great joy; and his mother-in-law, Frances Manheim Ferguson of the home.
W. M. “Mickey” Thrower ’60 died on March 25, 2005. Mickey had retired from the Post-Tribune, Gary, Ind, newspaper. His wife of thirty-three years, Virginia Irvin Thrower, died in 2001. They did not have children. In 2005 he moved to Suwanee, Ga. Survivors include his sister, Ms. Kathy T. Watt, 2964 Caldwell Cir, Suwanee, Ga. 30024.
Jerry Byron Blackstock ’66 died April 1, 2006. He graduated from Davidson where he played football and joined Beta Theta Pi. His ROTC training might have culminated in military service had it not been for a lightning strike that damaged his eyesight. He subsequently attended the University of Georgia School of Law. He was senior partner and chair of the litigation practice at Powell, Goldstein, Frazer and Murphy until 2002, when he joined Hunton and Williams. His list of awards and accomplishments includes leadership positions with the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia Board of Governors, the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, the American Board of Trial Advocates, the Judicial Qualifications Committee and the Judicial Qualifications Commission. He was a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He appeared in various listings of the state’s top ten lawyers. The Georgia Bar Association named him defense attorney of the year for 2002; the Atlanta Bar Association presented him their Leadership Award this March. At Peachtree Road United Methodist Church he served for many years in leadership capacities including the chair of the pastoral counseling service. Survivors include his wife of thirty-nine years, Margaret Owen Blackstock; three sons: Towner Anson ’94 (daughter-in-law Holly, and granddaughter Mary Molloy), Michael Owen, and Kendrick Anthony (daughter-in-law Britt). Jerry is also survived by sisters Patricia Ann Blackstock and Bonnie Glenn Blackstock, of Dallas, Ga. The family asks that in lieu of flowers, please send contributions to the Jerry Blackstock Scholarship Fund at either UGA School of Law, Athens, GA 30602, or Riverside Military Academy, 2001 Riverside Drive, Gainesville, GA 30501.
G. Lamont Atkinson ’74 of Taylorsville, N.C., died Feb. 14, 2006. He earned a master’s from Appalachian State University and did additional graduate work at Appalachian. He taught at Appalachian as a graduate fellow and then taught at Western Piedmont, Isothermal Community College, and Lees-McRae College. Survivors include his wife, Reba Jean Shook Atkinson, 4949 Springhaven Dr., Conover, N.C. 28613.
Josiah A.P. Cameron ’09, Jenkintown, Pa. died April 11, 2006, in Davidson. He attended public school in Pennsylvania where he played football, baseball, and had the lead in several school plays. He was active in the youth group of St. Thomas Episcopal Church. He became a freshman at Davidson in the fall of 2005. He was a football and rugby player. He intended to major in history with a concentration on Middle Eastern Culture. Survivors include his father, Dr. John B. Cameron ’63, 402 West Ave., Jenkintown, Pa. 19046; his mother, Dr. Kathleen Pearle; brothers, Asa and Burton; a sister, Mireille; and his fiancée Emily Beale of New York City