- Keep all offices and laboratories locked when not in use.
- Make sure that all locking devices are in proper working order.
- Utilize a key control system. All department keys should be signed out and collected when not in use. Keys should be issued only when absolutely necessary.
- Do not label keys with their use. Use a code system instead.
- Keep desks, cabinets, etc., locked when not in use.
- Typewriters and other portable office machines should be bolted or locked down. Smaller items, such as calculators, tape recorders, etc., should be kept locked up when not in use.
- Avoid bringing valuable personal property into unsecured areas.
- Petty cash should be kept to a minimum.
- Women should keep their pocketbooks locked up, and men should not hang up coats or jackets with wallets or other valuables in the pockets.
- Before leaving, check to make sure that no one is hiding and that the area is properly secure.
- Watch out for your neighbors. If someone forgets to secure an area or property, keep an eye on it.
- Report all suspicious persons or improperly secured areas to Campus Police immediately.