Marshall V. Yount '37, of Hickory, N.C., died Feb. 7, 2012. He was born Jan. 21, 1917, in Hickory. He was the son of Marshall H. Yount, a native of Catawba County, and Maude Vivian Hutchisson, of Mobile, Ala. Yount attended Davidson and UNC Chapel Hill, graduating there with a B.S. degree in commerce, and continuing with the UNC School of Law, where received his LLB degree in 1940. He entered the practice of law with his father, Attorney Marshall H. Yount, Yount & Yount, which practice was interrupted when he began a four-year term with the U.S. Army, returned and practiced law with his father until his father's death in 1948. In the Army he was positioned with the Security Intelligence Corp, Fourth Service Command as special agent commissioned second lieutenant, stationed at the Presidio of San Francisco as staff member of the Japanese-American branch office of the Provost Marshal General, promoted and transferred to complete his service with the Provost Marshal General office in Washington, D.C., until he was discharged from the service in 1946. He then returned to Hickory and resumed the law as a sole practitioner until a young lawyer, Oliver Noble, came to Hickory and joined him. That association ended when Noble was appointed a District Court judge. In 1981 Yount began a practice with Attorney Rufus Walker, son-in-law of his longtime friend and fellow attorney, George D. Hovey. The partnership Yount & Walker was dissolved in 1999 when Yount joined the law firm of Sigmon, Clark, Mackie, Hutton, Hanvey & Ferrell, "of counsel" along with his longtime assistant, Linda Sigmon, where he continued his legal career until his death. Early in his career, Yount served several terms as judge of the Hickory Municipal Court and two terms as judge of the Catawba County Court, but never thereafter sought public office. He was active in and a supporter of community organizations, charitable and otherwise. He headed the Community Chest; was a deacon and elder of Corinth Reformed Church and consistory member of Corinth Church; a member of the Catawba County ABC Board; member and a director of Hickory Kiwanis Club; member of the American Legion and Loyal Order of the Moose. In his profession, he served as president of the Catawba County Bar Association and of the 25th District Bar, and was a member of the American Bar Association and American Judicature Society. He was honored in 2004 by being inducted into the General Practice Hall of Fame of the North Carolina Bar Association. Yount is survived by his wife of 65 years, Jerrie, 1081 16th Ave. NW, Hickory, NC 28601, who was a young secretary to the general in charge at Provost Marshal General office in Washington, D.C., where he met her during the last year of his service. He is also survived by his sons, Douglas, Stanley, Jeffrey (Cathy), and Marshall; grandchildren, Jeremy (Emily), Brian, April, Naomi, Dannon, Jay, Lindy, and Brandon; and great-grandchildren, Graham and Lana. He was preceded in death by his son, Alfred, and his sister, Helen Saipher. Yount loved his wife, his family, children, grandchildren, and his profession. He was well regarded by his fellow attorneys and will be remembered as among the oldest practicing attorneys in North Carolina at the time of his death.
Joseph Hiram Calvin Jr. '39, of Birmingham, Ala., died April 3, 2012. He was born in Decatur on June 2, 1918, the son of Joseph Hiram Calvin and Bernice Jackson Calvin. He graduated from Davidson, where he was president of the Kappa Alpha fraternity. He attended Harvard Law School for two years before serving in the Army, from which he retired as a captain in 1946. Calvin received his juris doctor from the University of Alabama and practiced law in Decatur for nearly 50 years. During this time, Calvin served as president of the Morgan County Bar Association, president of the Decatur Kiwanis Club, was a longtime member of the board of Compass Bank, chairman of the Decatur School Board, and was elected to represent Morgan and Lawrence counties in the Alabama State Senate. He was named most effective Alabama senator. Calvin was a lifelong member of the First Presbyterian Church in Decatur until moving to Birmingham in 2000. He was a deacon and elder and taught Sunday school for many years. He is thought of by all as the perfect gentleman. Calvin is survived by his wife, Juliet Given Calvin, 9 Cross Creek Dr., Birmingham, AL 35213-2318; his son, Joseph Calvin III '84 (Jennifer Calvin); and four grandchildren, Kalli Calvin, Elizabeth Calvin, Joseph Calvin IV, and Virginia Calvin. He is also survived by Juliet Calvin's sons, Finis St. John IV (Gaynor Lee St. John) and William Given St. John (Elizabeth Gentry St. John); her grandsons, Finis St. John (Virginia Givhan St. John) and John Jefferson St. John; and great-granddaughter, Mary Juliet St. John. He was preceded in death by Juliet's granddaughter, Emily Parker St. John.
Harry L. Gasteiger '39, 97, Johnson City, Tenn., died unexpectedly Feb. 25, 2012, at the Johnson City Medical Center. Gasteiger was born in Hempfield, Pa., to the late W.H. and Lillie Bell Loveless Gasteiger. Soon thereafter, he became a resident of Johnson City, where he resided the rest of his life. Following his graduation from Davidson, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps, where he served as a major and was a pilot and flight instructor, receiving the National Defense Ribbon. After World War II he returned to Johnson City and started the Gasteiger-Willis Construction Company, working until his retirement, and was a member of the Johnson City Home Builders Association. Gasteiger and his late wife, Margaret, were charter members of Westminster Presbyterian Church, where he served as an elder, and in 2001 was appointed elder emeritus. He spent the majority of his retirement enjoying outdoor activities, including gardening and beekeeping. In addition to his parents, Gasteiger was preceded in death by his wife of 67 years, Margaret Erb Gasteiger, in 2010, and one sister, Mary Ward Mount. He is survived by his son, Thomas Harrison Gasteiger (Marty), 1315 Oakland Ave., Johnson City, TN 37601-2653; two daughters, Anne Hyder and Catherine Shannon; two sisters, Edith Jennings and Lena Holtzclaw; eight grandchildren, Harrison Gasteiger (Jessica), Mark Gasteiger, Joseph Gasteiger, Michael Exum Hyder, Elizabeth Hyder Andrews (Shawn), Margaret Anne Hyder, Casey Shannon (Christa), and Catherine Shannon Simerly (Travis); four great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Octavius McCrary Otts, Jr. '41, 91, passed away peacefully at home in Mobile, Ala., on March 13, 2012. Born in Mobile in 1921, Otts was preceded in death by his parents, O.M. Otts, Sr. and Roberta Hanna Otts, and his wife of 61 years, Fay Butt Otts. He is survived by his children, Octavius McCrary Otts III '67 (Virginia), 2431 River Forest Dr., Mobile, AL 36605-4439, Richard Lemuel Otts (Elizabeth), and Fay Otts Phillips (Mike); grandchildren, Rhen Otts Druhan '95 (Tommy), McCrary Otts (Elizabeth), Richard Otts (Lindsay), John Otts (Julie), Elizabeth Otts, Robert Otts (Sarah), Edward Otts, Mike Phillips, and Fay Phillips; and great-grandchildren, Sims and Margaret Druhan, Virginia, Mac, and Ella Otts, Sarah Catherine, Lee, and Margaret Otts, Jack and Conrad Otts, Lelia Otts, and William Barnes. Otts received his undergraduate degree from Davidson and graduated from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1944. He served two years as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. Otts chose as his specialty obstetrics and gynecology because, he often said, those cases almost always had happy endings. During his 51-year practice, he served as chief of staff at the Mobile Infirmary and as chairman of the board of Health in Mobile County before it became a fulltime position. In the 1960s, he volunteered his time to direct the gynecological and obstetrics program at Mobile General Hospital, where he enjoyed training residents in that field until the University of South Alabama College of Medicine opened. As one former resident and colleague said, "He believed in medical education, and he believed in training people in the right way to provide for future generations. He had remarkable vision and foresight to do that at that time." Because of the many years he dedicated to training medical residents on his own time and other accomplishments, in 2011 Otts was honored as only the third doctor to receive the Alabama Legends in Obstetrics and Gynecology award by the state chapter of the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. He was a lifelong Presbyterian and a member of Spring Hill Presbyterian Church. Before that he served as an elder at Government Street Presbyterian Church. Otts was a former member of the board of trustees at University Military School, the UMS football team doctor for many years, and a member of the Mobile Rotary Club. He was an avid golfer and served as president of the Alabama Senior Golf Association.
Russell Morrison Smith '41, retired archivist with the Library of Congress, died peacefully at Goodwin House, Alexandria, Va., on April 21, 2012. He was 93 years old. He was born on Nov. 3, 1918, at Mutoto Station, Belgian Congo, to missionaries Plumer and Katie Smith 1907. At age five, he was sent to live with relatives in Missouri. At age seven he joined his older brother Newton at Stuart Robinson School near Blackey, Ky. Aunt Lizzie Russell was matron of boys there, and Smith remembered her care for him to the end of his life. At 15, he was treated for polio at Warm Springs, Ga., but lost much strength from his left leg and right arm. He rejoined Newton at Davidson, earning a B.A. in English in 1941. He taught high school for a few years, and worked as a reporter in Charlottesville and Richmond. He married Margie Rice of Richmond in 1950, and decided to take a more respectable career. He worked in the library and studied history at the University of Virginia, writing a master's thesis about Cdr. Robert Shufeldt's 1882 opening of Korea to the West. Three sons were born during his studies at U.Va. On the way to enroll for a Ph.D. at Princeton in 1956, he was invited to interview for a job with the Library of Congress' Presidential Papers Collection. He accepted the job and did not go to Princeton. In 1957 the family moved to Alexandria, Va., where he and Margie would live until 1999. Smith led the team that transformed the Presidential Papers Collection, which was in shoe boxes when they began, into a true resource for scholars, cataloged, indexed, and microfilmed, covering the presidents from Washington to Coolidge. He did similar work with the Great Americans Collection. On retiring in 1980, he served as treasurer for ALIVE, an interfaith charity, and tutored junior high students. He and Margie served Westminster Presbyterian Church as teachers, deacons, and elders. In 2001, he and Margie moved to Goodwin House. Margie died in July 2009. Smith was preceded in death by parents, Plumer and Katie Smith; brother, John Newton Smith '38 (Elanor); and sisters, Betty Anne Smith and Ruth Smith Gilmer (survived by husband John). Smith is survived by his sons, Russell Jr., 8110 Colony Point Rd., Apt. J, Springfield, VA 22152-4110, Theron (Lori), and John; grandchildren, Marshall (Gretchen), Jacob (Ashley), Rachel, and Dale; and great-grandchildren, Claire, Scott, and Kate.
McHenry "Mac" Shreve Brewer '44, 89, died on Feb. 19, 2012, at his Louisville, Ky., home, following five years of impairment due to strokes. He was born in 1922 in Lebanon, Ky., and grew up there. He attended Davidson and then graduated from U of K in a special, wartime pre-med program. While in the Army, he attended and graduated from the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He was an intern in the Columbia Presbyterian Medical center in New City. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, 1947-49, stationed in China. He then took his surgical residency at the Cornell Medical Center in New York City, where he became chief resident surgeon. He then practiced general surgery in Louisville for 40 years. As a doctor of the old school, he was always available to his patients and for many years was continuously on call. Brewer got great satisfaction from his work and was a beloved figure in the hospitals where he worked, where his skill, humor, and good nature were revered. He was the president of the medical staff of Methodist Hospital in 1966 and of Baptist Hospital in 1972. He served as the president of the Jefferson County Medical Society in 1972-73. He was the president of the Southern Society of Clinical Surgeons in 1974. He was also a member of the Southern Surgical Association and an associate clinical professor of surgery at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. Brewer was a loving husband and devoted father. He is remembered for his irreverent sense of humor, his great integrity, and his love of games-especially golf and croquet. He was a member of the Second Presbyterian Church. He was preceded in death by his parents, John Bowman Brewer and Elizabeth Bottom Brewer, and by his brothers, Jack, Bill, Sam '50, and Tom '57. Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Cecil Norman Brewer, 3723 Fairway Ln., Louisville, KY 40207; his sons, Robert Judson Brewer (Sharon) and Charles McHenry Brewer (Ginny); his daughter, Mary Brewer Darcy (Jim); his grandchildren, Betsy Barrow '07 [husband, Lee Barrow '07], Anne Brewer, Bruce Darcy, Raleigh Darcy, Fred Darcy, Lucy Brewer, Charlotte Brewer, and McHenry Brewer; his sister, Cecil Fish; his brother, Robert Brewer; and a large number of nieces [including Ann Brewer Fisher '86] and nephews.
Berry Bryant Monroe '46, 86, died March 15, 2012, at McLeod Regional Medical Center, Florence, S.C., after an illness. Monroe was born in Laurinburg, the oldest child of the late Robert Andrews Monroe and Berrie Bryant Monroe. He graduated high school at the age of 15, attended Davidson and the UNC Chapel Hill, and earned his medical degree from Duke University in 1946. He served his country in the U.S. Marine Corps as a medic from 1946-52, during the Korean War. He was awarded the Bronze Star for his service. He married Susan Godfrey on April 12, 1952, in Baltimore, Md., and completed his pediatric residency in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1956 at Children's Hospital. He was offered several pediatric positions, but chose to live and work in Florence, S.C., and in 1957, he opened his practice on Palmetto Street in an old house. He opened his last practice with his partner, Dr. Charles Waters, on Dargan Street in 1971, which served patients for 19 years. He retired from private practice in 1997, at age 72. Monroe served as chief of pediatrics at McLeod Regional Medical Center. He continued to practice medicine, volunteering at Mercy Medicine Clinic for many years. He was a member of the South Carolina Medical Association, and member and past president of the Florence Medical Association. Monroe was a faithful member of First Presbyterian Church in Florence, where he served as a deacon. He was also a member of the Golden K Kiwanis Club and formerly a member of the Sertoma Club. He was preceded in death by his wife, Susan G. Monroe, in 2002; daughter, Mary Kathleen Monroe Coenen; brother, Robert; and sister, Flora. He is survived by a daughter, Linda Monroe Neyle; two sons, Berry Bryant Monroe, Jr. and Christian Andrew Monroe, 1315 Madison Ave., Florence, SC 29501; brother, Edwin Wall Monroe '47; and three grandchildren, Emilie Neyle Jeter, Edmund Gregorie Neyle '09, and Charlotte Willson Neyle.
Robert Hayward McGeachy '47, 90, of Mt. Gilead, N.C., died Jan. 25, 2012, at his home. McGeachy was born Sept. 11, 1921, in Mecklenburg County. He was son of the late Robert Wisner and Hazel Hayward McGeachy. He was a graduate of Davidson and a WWII Army Air Force veteran. McGeachy and his wife were owner and operators of The Sundry Center in Mt. Gilead for over 50 years. He was a former member of Mt. Gilead Volunteer Fire Dept. and the Lions Club. He loved being outdoors and was an avid fisherman. He is survived by his wife, Martha Scarborough McGeachy, P.O. Box 745, Mt. Gilead, NC 27306; two daughters, Laura Brown and Sherry McGeachy; four grandchildren, Blythe Edwards, Zack Beasley, Andrew Brown '12, and Claire Brown; and two great-grandchildren, Jake Edwards and Lily Edwards.
Henry Edmunds White '47, of Davidson, N.C., loving and devoted husband and father, married 67 years to Carol (Meade) White, passed away quietly in his sleep on May 1, 2012. He was born in Suchowfu, China, to Emma White and Locke White 1913, missionaries in China. He entered Davidson in 1942. During a summer vacation he met Carol Meade, who was singing in the choir of the Presbyterian church in Richmond, Ky., where his father served as minister. They married in 1945, and White left his new bride and his studies to serve two years in the U.S. Air Corps. He returned to Davidson and graduated in 1947, then attended UNC Chapel Hill and the University of South Carolina for graduate school. Throughout his life, White loved sports and was a highly successful athlete. At Davidson he was captain of the Davidson basketball team and participated in football, tennis, track, and baseball. In 1947, after graduating, he taught and coached at Darlington School in Rome, Ga. He also became an assistant principal of the newly opened Eau Claire High School in Columbia, S.C. He later became the assistant dean of students at Davidson. In 1955, White became dean of admissions and financial aid at the college and served in that position for 25 years. While he was dean, he served on the Committee on Guidance for College, the College Entrance Examination Board of New York, and the board of College Admissions Center of Evanston, Ill. He served on the North Carolina Governor's Scholarship Board and was also on the board of National Merit. In 1979 he decided to pursue his passion for sports and left his beloved Davidson to serve as athletic director at Southwestern College for five years. He then returned to Davidson for his retirement. White devoted much of his time to helping others who were less fortunate through his work at the Davidson College Presbyterian Church and at Habitat for Humanity, an organization which he helped start in the Davidson area. He taught Sunday school over the years at Davidson College Presbyterian Church, where he was a deacon and elder. Over the years he excelled in tennis, traveling around the Southeast, participating in and winning numerous tournaments. White won the N.C. State Doubles Championship the week before suffering a stroke. In 2007, he was inducted into the Davidson College Athletics Hall of Fame for his athletic prowess at Davidson. Past employees, friends, and family honored him with a scholarship established in his name to provide financial aid to Davidson College students. He is survived by his wife, Carol, 400 Avinger Ln., Apt. 369, Davidson, NC 28036-6700; his three children, Henry Edmunds Jr., Susan, and Locke '80; and his grandchildren, Hope, Katherine, and Jordan. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brothers, Locke Jr. '39 and Richard, and his sister, Louise Walker. Memorial contributions in his honor may be made to the H. Edmunds White Scholarship Fund, Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035-7174.
Richard Archer Oglesby '48, of Atlanta, Ga., joined God in glory on Feb. 26, 2012. He was surrounded by his family and died peacefully after a short battle with cancer. The son of Dr. and Mrs. Stuart R. Oglesby, Jr., Oglesby was born Aug. 22, 1923, in Monticello, Ark. He moved to Atlanta in 1930 when his father accepted a call to serve as the senior pastor of Central Presbyterian Church. Oglesby remained a faithful member of that church until his death, having served as a Sunday school teacher, deacon, and elder. Oglesby attended Davidson. During WWII he was decorated with the Air Medal for meritorious achievement while flying C-46s over the "Hump" between India and China. After returning to Davidson and graduating with honors, Oglesby joined the First National Bank of Atlanta, where he worked in a variety of positions and retired after 35 years as a senior executive of the bank. While he was at First National he mentored a number of trainees, many of whom became business and civic leaders in Atlanta. Oglesby was a member of the Piedmont Driving Club. In 1959, Oglesby married the lady of his dreams, Lamar Lipscomb Ellis, 468 Westover Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA 30305. They loved one another fully and completely until death did them part, as they had promised on their wedding day. Together they raised a family of four children, all of whom survive him: John F. Oglesby (Nancy), Richard A Oglesby, Jr. (Caye), Frances O. Williamson (Michael), and Wm. Ellis Oglesby (Lucy). Although comfortable in any setting from the backroom to the boardroom, Oglesby was never happier than when he was spending time at his cabin at Porter Springs, near Dahlonega, Ga. Having grown up spending time there, Oglesby purchased the home in 1960 and created a haven for his family where they could all learn to enjoy the outdoors. He spent many hours teaching his children and grandchildren, as well as extended family and friends, water skiing, boat driving, land clearing, and the love of the outdoors. Oglesby is also survived by his brother, M. Lamar Oglesby(Jane), and 10 grandchildren: Will, David, Frances, and Ellie Oglesby, Tyler Stuckey, Robert Stuckey, Sarah and Jack Williamson, and Luke and Rick Oglesby.
John Morrow Stewart '48, of Denver, Colo., professor emeritus at the University of Colorado School of Medicine Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, and an internationally renowned scientist in the field of Peptide Chemistry, died Dec. 29, 2011. He was 87. Stewart was a leader in the field of peptide chemistry for over 40 years, having authored over 400 peer-reviewed scientific works. He holds over 23 patents. Stewart was the recipient of numerous awards, including the American Peptide Society's Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995 and the Pinnacles of Inventorship Lifetime Inductee from the University of Colorado. He received his undergraduate education at Davidson and his master's and doctorate degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1952. He started his professional scientific career at The Rockefeller Institute (now The Rockefeller University) in 1952. In 1968 he moved to Denver to join the CU School of Medicine faculty. Stewart served in WWII in the U.S. Army and was stationed in the European Theater. In 1949, he married Joyce Lorraine Clark, who preceded him in death. He married Laima Taraseviciene, Ph.D., 3690 E. Dartmouth Ave., Denver, CO 80210-6614, in 2000. He is survived by his wife and daughters, Ellen E. Stewart and Susan E. Stewart; his son, David C. Stewart; his granddaughters, Anne M. Stewart and Laura E. Stewart; and his stepdaughter, Agne Taraseviciute. Stewart was an elder at Montview Boulevard Presbyterian Church and a member for over 40 years. He had a lifelong passion for orchids and received several grants from the American Orchid Society. He grew orchids at his home as a hobby. He collected and cultivated orchids from all over the world.
John Anderson Wall '48 was born Feb. 1, 1928, in High Point, N.C., son of the late N. Madison Wall and Elizabeth Bowne Wall. He died peacefully at Hospice Home at High Point on Feb. 28, 2012. Wall graduated from Davidson, where he was a member of the freshman basketball team, Army ROTC, and Kappa Sigma fraternity. After graduation in 1948, Uncle Sam invited Wall to serve his country as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army, with stops at Fort Bragg from 1948-49 and at Fort Benning from 1950-52. After serving his country in the Armed Forces, Wall returned to High Point and worked with his father at Matt Wall & Son Veneers. Wall was born and raised in the Episcopal faith and spent most of his life at St. Mary's Episcopal Church where his grandfather, H. Norwood Bowne, was a former rector. The spiritual heritage acquired there remained with him throughout his life. He was also privileged to have worshiped at Community Bible Church in its early formative years. There he made lasting friendships leading to a long term attendance in John Willett's Wednesday morning Bible study. In recent years Wall made his spiritual home with First Presbyterian Church. As a faithful and supportive member he was blessed by fellowship and participation in Sunday school, Wednesday night Bible study, and Sunday services. His survivors include his wife of 63 years, Eleanor Garrett Wall, 916 Fairway Dr., High Point, NC 27262-3604; sons, John A. Wall, Jr. (Ollie), David Garrett Wall '74 (Terri), and N. Madison "Matt" Wall II '78 (Denise); grandchildren, Amy R. Rich, David G. Wall, Jr. (Erin), Andrew B. Wall (Catie), Richard C. Walter, and Caroline M. Wall; great-grandchildren, Olivia, Victoria, and Isabella Byerly, Larson and Gabe Cashwell, and Chandler D. Wall; a sister, Becky Wall Parker; three nieces; and four nephews.
Albert Henry Bridgman '49 passed peacefully into God's keeping March 1, 2012. Bridgman had several lifetimes of experience marked by faith and adventurous perseverance. The fourth of seven children, Bridgman was born in Canada to Presbyterian missionaries Eleanor and Harold Bridgman. The Bridgmans were on furlough when he was born and soon returned to the mission field in China, where he would remain for much of his youth. During WWII, Bridgman and his family were evacuated on the USS Washington. This was the first time he would call the mountains of Western North Carolina home. Bridgman joined his brother, Jack Bridgman, at Davidson. He earned a master's degree in zoology from Louisiana State University, after which he attended LSU School of Medicine. After medical school, he completed his surgical residency through Tulane University at Charity Hospital in New Orleans, La. Bridgman was part of the doctor's draft and was appointed officer in charge of the Cape Hallett Station south of the Arctic Circle during Operation Deep Freeze in the International Geophysical Year. Bridgman treasured this time of challenge and comradery for the rest of his life. During this long winter, a National Geographic topographer named a glacier after him that remains on maps to this day. Not long after his return from the Antarctic, Bridgman joined his powerful lineage of missionary work and served at Kwangju Christian Hospital in South Korea training Korean surgeons. After this chapter of his life, he returned to the mountains of Western North Carolina and worked at the VA Medical Center in Asheville. One of the greatest rewards he had was training advanced surgical residents. It was also at the VA that he met his dearly beloved wife, Ann. Throughout his life, Bridgman was a faithful servant of Christ, who celebrated the gifts of his Creator. With excellence and humility, he was an esteemed surgeon, a daring aerobatic pilot, and an enthusiastic sailor. Into the last days of his life, he enjoyed music, singing, and painting. Bridgman was preceded in death by his loving parents and his brothers, Arthur, Tommy, and Jack Bridgman '49. He is survived by his devoted wife, Ann, 57 Last Resort Rd., Black Mountain, NC 28711; his daughter, Katie; his brothers, Stewart '58 and David '54; and his sister, Eleanor.
William Hawkins Bogart, Jr. '49, 84, of Oak Ridge, N.C., passed away Nov. 8, 2011, at Countryside Manor in Stokesdale, N.C. He was born March 25, 1927, in Greensboro to the late William H. Bogart, Sr. '24 and Eunice Bowen Bogart. Bogart was a member of Union Grove Baptist Church in Oak Ridge. Before moving to Oak Ridge, he was an active member of Moffett Memorial Baptist Church in Danville, Va., serving as a Sunday school teacher, deacon, and trustee. He was a graduate of Davidson and N.C. State University, and served in the U.S. Navy during WWII and in the Naval Reserves. He moved to Danville, Va., where he was a professor of chemistry at Danville Community College until his retirement, and also was employed at Dibrell Brothers. Bogart was an active member in the Jaycees and was named outstanding Jaycee; he also was a member of the Kiwanis Club, an officer of the Danville Philatelic Club, and a lifetime member of the American Philatelic Society. Stamp collecting was his hobby. Surviving are his wife, Barbara Phlegar Bogart, 5925 Tarleton Dr., Oak Ridge, NC 27310-9106, whom he married on Dec. 17, 1960; three children, Brenda Hall (Steve), Beverly Royals (Jim), and Bryan Bogart (Cheri); three grandchildren, Aaron and Michael Bogart and Jordan Hall; sister, Nancy Kabrich (Randy '50); and three nephews.
Charles Dwelle Elyea, Jr. '49, 87, passed away Jan. 13, 2012, at his home in Richmond, Va. Elyea, the son of Cora Thomson Saville and Charles Dwelle Elyea, was born Nov. 9, 1924, in Atlanta, Ga. After serving in five campaigns in France and Germany during WWII, he graduated from Davidson in 1949 with a B.A. in philosophy and was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He attended Union Theological Seminary and received bachelor of divinity and master of theology degrees from Columbia Seminary. He was ordained in 1957 and served five churches in N.C., S.C., Ga., and Va. Upon retirement in 1992, he moved to Bristol and served as a supply minister to a number of churches throughout Abingdon Presbytery in Va., and Holston Presbytery in Tenn. An avid golfer, Elyea was also a devoted member of the Bristol Kiwanis Club. Walnut Grove Presbyterian was his church home for 17 years. Due to failing health, he and his wife moved to Richmond to live with their son in 2009. Elyea is survived by his wife of 54 years, Mary Ann Snellgrove Elyea, 2107 Boxwood Pl., Henrico, VA 23228-3806; three children, Emily Elyea Gardner, Charles Emmett "Chuck" Elyea '84 (Donna), and David Franklin Elyea; seven grandchildren, Katharine Townsend Gardner Gunning (Tim), William Douglas Gardner, Jr. (Chelsea), Claire Shaw Gardner, Joshua Bryan Elyea, Jonathan Gordon Elyea, Jennifer Susan Elyea, and Charles Joseph Elyea; one great-grandson, Grayson Lee Gardner; one sister, Elizabeth Elyea Ward; numerous nieces and nephews; and a much-beloved "adopted" son and caregiver, Mark Shady, of Richmond, Va. He was preceded in death by his parents and his sister, Dorothy Elyea McKenzie.
Charles Judson "Mike" Williams III '49 passed away peacefully in his sleep at his home in Jacksonville, Fla., on Feb. 20, 2012. He was 86. He was born on Nov. 28, 1925, in North Wilkesboro, N.C., the son of Louise Finley Williams and Patrick Murphy Williams. Because of wartime conditions, he entered Davidson two weeks later and was there until March 1944, when he joined the Army Air Corps at age 18. He served in the Air Corps for two years and became an aerial gunner on a B-29 flying out of Saipan. His crew was credited with flying 13 missions over Japan. He reentered Davidson graduating in 1949. While at Davidson, he played on the tennis, basketball, and football teams, a sports trifecta. He was considered by his Wildcat peers as the best athlete of his era, earning 10 letters in all. In basketball, he played four seasons (1944, '47, '49) and was co-captain for two years. In football, he played three seasons (1943, '47, '48) and was a member of the tennis team for two years. He was named all-state in basketball and was a third team All-Southern Conference selection. At Davidson, he was a member of the Student Council, junior class president, president of Kappa Sigma, and was named to Who's Who Among American Students in Universities & Colleges. In 2000, Williams was inducted into the Davidson Athletics Hall of Fame. Williams was married to Jacqueline Chalmers of Portland, Ore., for 23 years, with whom he had four sons, and 33 years to Estelle Foerster of Jacksonville. Williams moved to Jacksonville in 1950 to work with Moore Dry Kiln Company, and had been a resident ever since. In 1977, he started Power & Pumps, Inc. He served as the president and CEO until 1999, then became chairman. In Jacksonville, Williams was a member of the Jacksonville Rotary Club since 1965, serving as president from 1994-95. He has been a trustee of the Edna Sproull Williams Foundation since 1982, serving terms as chairman. He has served on the board of directors for the Christian Healing Ministries (as president), Riverside Hospital, and Riverside Hospital Foundation. One of his proudest achievements was fundraising for Mercy Ships, an international charity that has operated hospital ships in developing nations since 1978. Williams was thoughtful, patient, forgiving, and steadfast in his beliefs, morals, and ethics, with a winning smile and an accommodating laugh. He was a devout Christian and an active member of the First Presbyterian Church and St. Mark's Episcopal Church. He loved his sports, whether it was golf, tennis, basketball, football: he had all the bases covered. He is survived by four sons, Charles J. Williams, Jr. '73, P.O. Box 2126, Winter Park, FL 32790, John C. Williams (Peggy Sue), David F. Williams '78 (Lisa Olson Williams '81), and Robert W. Williams (Heidi). He had eight grandchildren, Finley, Lindy '13, and Andrew Williams, Maggie, Nadia, and Murphy Williams, and Nathan and Abby Williams. He has two stepchildren, David Foerster and Margaret Bratton. He is survived by one brother, Patrick M. Williams '47, and numerous nieces and nephews [including Cameron Chalmers Maguire '88].
Malcolm McMurtry "Mack" Erwin, Jr. '50, of Charleston, S.C., husband of Martha Walker Erwin, entered into eternal rest on Feb. 18, 2012. He was a resident of Charleston for over 50 years. Erwin was born on Dec. 12, 1926, in Honea Path, S.C., the son of Inez Tice Erwin and Malcolm McMurtry Erwin '22. He grew up in Greenville, S.C., where he began a lifelong love affair with sports, playing Little League baseball with batting tutelage from Shoeless Joe Jackson. In high school he was selected for the S.C. Shrine Bowl his senior year, as well as for both the All State and All Southern football teams. He then attended the University of South Carolina, where he played football and was selected as fullback for the S.C. All State team. He left USC to serve his country in the U.S. Navy during WWII aboard the USS Tangier in the South Pacific. Upon his return, he entered Davidson, a legacy of his father, lettering in baseball and football. As a Davidson football player, it was said that he was "a great competitor. When the going is the roughest and the hole is the smallest, he seems the hardest to stop." Off of the athletic fields, he was a member of ODK, Who's Who, and SAE. He graduated from Davidson in 1950 with a B.S. in business. Erwin was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame at Davidson in 1996 for his performance and record as fullback for their football team. After college, Erwin went on to have a stunning career as head baseball and assistant football and basketball coach at Johns Hopkins University, Lenoir-Rhyne College, Furman University, and the Citadel. He won conference championships at every school he coached. Erwin was inducted into the Citadel Honorary Athletic Hall of Fame in 1993. His 1960 championship team won the first conference championship in the history of the school, without any baseball scholarships, and was ranked 17th nationally. Erwin had the highest ever winning percentage for a Citadel coach, and his 1960 team was the first to represent the school in the NCAA district playoffs. After Erwin retired from coaching, he had a successful 30-year career at First Federal Savings and Loan of Charleston from 1961-91, where he held the position of senior vice president of marketing. During that time he earned his M.B.A. from Indiana University. Erwin was a Southern Conference football official for over 25 years, officiating the 1985 Gator Bowl and the 1977 Peach Bowl. Erwin held a deep love of his Savior and his church. In his 50 years as a member of Second Presbyterian Church, he served as a deacon, elder, and president of the men's Bible class, and sang in the choir. He was a life member of the Sertoma Club of Charleston and the James Island Yacht Club. He also volunteered as a Little League baseball coach for the James Island YMCA. Erwin is survived by his wife of 57 years, Martha Walker Erwin, 443 Wade Hampton Dr., Charleston, NC 29412; his three children, Malcolm McMurtry Erwin III, Margaret "Happy" Erwin Byrd (William Ashley Byrd), and Joy Erwin Coe (Andrew Garcia Coe); and his seven grandchildren, Malcolm Benjamin Byrd, Michael William Byrd, Margaret McMurtry Coe, Joshua Baldwin Coe, Sarah Anne Aderholdt Coe, Mary Garcia Coe, and Elizabeth Grace Coe. He is also survived by his brother, William David Erwin '50, and his aunt, Jean Wilson Parker.
Leander Newton "Pete" Trammell, Jr. '50, born July 13, 1927, in Atlanta, Ga., died Feb. 13, 2012, at Hospice Atlanta. Trammell was preceded in death by his parents, Leander Newton Trammell, Sr. and Rose Barry Trammell, and by his partner of 46 years, William "Bill" O. Camp. He is survived by his sister, Rose Barry Trammell, 964 Northcliffe Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA 30318-1661; his first cousin, Barney Jones (Ann); other distant cousins; and many friends. Trammell's early years were spent in Dalton, Ga. He served in the U.S. Merchant Marine Corps from 1944-46. After his service he attended Davidson, where he earned his bachelor of arts in 1950. While at Davidson, Trammell was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. After a three year stint as an elementary school teacher in Dalton, Trammell changed career paths and spent nearly 44 years with Surface Coatings, Inc., later known as L & M Manufacturing Incorporated. Just after starting his new job in 1953, Trammell met his lifelong partner, Bill, at St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Atlanta. Until his recent illness and death, Trammell was active in the affairs of his church, including service as the executive program director of its former television ministry, as a member of the vestry, and as a lay Eucharistic minister. He will be remembered for his love of genealogy, opera, travelling, and enjoying the company of his many friends.
Richard Wentworth Turnage '50, of Greenwood, S.C., 82, husband of Joan McIver Malone Turnage, 1110 Marshall Rd., Greenwood, SC 29646-4216, died Feb. 29, 2012, at Self Regional Medical Center. Born in Hartsville, S.C., Oct. 23, 1929, he was a son of the late Louis and Vivian White Turnage. A U.S. Army veteran, he served during the Korean era and later retired as lieutenant colonel from the U.S. Army Reserve. Turnage was a graduate of Davidson, where he received a bachelor's degree in chemistry. He was retired after more than 30 years of service from Sunoco Products in Hartsville. He was ordained in 1997 as a deacon in the Episcopal church and enjoyed providing pastoral care in a number of hospitals. A member of the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection, he attended Immanuel Lutheran Church, where he was very active in pastoral care and in other various positions of the church. He was a member of the disciples Bible study group at Wesley Commons. Turnage was preceded in death by brothers, Louis Turnage, Jr. and Robert Turnage. Surviving, in addition to his wife of 60 years, are a daughter, Anne McIver Turnage Pierce (Richard); grandchildren, Michael Pierce and Jennifer Lea Poteat; and several nieces and nephews (including, Robert Blount Turnage '76).
Earl Alvin Gerhardt, Jr. '51, 81, of Johnson City, Tenn., died at his home on Feb. 5, 2012, after a long battle with prostate cancer. He was born in Lynchburg, Tenn., son of the late Earl Alvin Gerhardt, Sr. and Georgia Burton Gerhardt. His brother, C. Burton Gerhardt, and sister, Anne Gerhardt Lenhert, are also deceased. After graduation from Davidson, Gerhardt served in Korea as an infantry first lieutenant in the Korean War and upon his discharge returned to Lynchburg and joined the family firm, Lynchburg Hosiery Mills, working in sales and advancing to vice president, secretary, and treasurer. While living in Lynchburg, Gerhardt served as volunteer director of the Lynchburg Historical Museum, then in the basement of the courthouse building but now encompassing the entire courthouse. He was president of the Lynchburg Historical Society in 1970-71 and a founding member of the Virginia History Federation, now the Virginia Association of Museums, serving as its president in 1972-73. Gerhardt entered the Cooperstown graduate program of the State University of New York in 1973, receiving a master's degree in museum studies. In 1974 he became the first professional director of Rocky Mount, an historic house in Piney Flats, Tenn., which was built in 1770-72 and served as the first capitol of the Southwest Territory from 1790-92. In 1992 he became the director of Tusculum College Museum Program and Studies in Tusculum, Tenn., establishing an undergraduate museum studies program and directing the official President Andrew Johnson Museum and Library. He retired in 2000. Gerhardt was president of the Southeastern Museum Conference from 1984-86 and received its James Short Award for outstanding service and leadership in 1993. He was a member of the council of the American Association of Museums from 1984-89, and, in 1990-92, was treasurer of the American Association for State and Local History. He was an Eagle Scout, a Rotarian, and, while in Lynchburg, a member of the Sphex Club and Westminster Presbyterian Church. Gerhardt is survived by his wife, Sally T. Flournoy Gerhardt, 211 University Pkwy., Apt. 4, Johnson City, TN 37604; and four children, Elizabeth M. Gerhardt; E. Frederick "Fritz" Gerhardt (Amy) and daughters, Abigail and Karenna; Thomas F. Gerhardt (Elizabeth Lodge) and children, Madalina and Ionut; and Anna C. Gerhardt and children, Sarah, Cabell, and Benjamin. Other survivors include a brother-in-law, Donald H. Lenhert; two sisters-in-law, Alice F. Schmitthenner and Mildred F. de Marcellus; and four nephews.
Leslie Cranford Robinson '51, 82, of Palm Harbor, Fla., a retired Presbyterian minister and pastoral counselor, passed away at home on Jan. 10, 2012. He is survived by his wife, Callie McArthur Robinson, 3282 Tanglewood Trl., Palm Harbor, FL 34685; their sons, Frederick and Stephen (Elizabeth); his brother, Charles Robinson '56; and many nieces and nephews. Robinson was preceded in death by his parents, John and Bessie Robinson of Greenville, S.C., and brother, John Robinson. He was a longtime member of the YMCA. Born in Charlotte, N.C., Robinson attended Davidson, where he earned his B.A. in English, and the Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond, Va., where he earned his bachelor's of divinity with honors, master's of theology, and doctorate in ministry. He served churches in N.C., W.Va., and Va., was moderator of two presbyteries, and was an honorably retired member of the Presbytery of the James. Robinson followed his passion for helping others into the counseling field in the 1970s, founding and directing Pastoral Counseling Ministries, a nonprofit providing therapeutic counseling services. He was a member of the American Association of Pastoral Counselors and the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists. Robinson and his wife retired to Florida in 2001, where he enjoyed the sunshine, tennis, his local church, and their many friends in the area.
Frank Ramsay Thies, Jr. '51, of Charlotte, N.C.,died Jan. 10, 2012, at Charlotte's Presbyterian Hospital, the same hospital in which he was born 82 years ago on Feb. 8, 1929, the only child of the late Frank R. Thies, Sr. and Eleanore Louise Arhelger. He graduated from Davidson and obtained the degree of master of arts from the UNC Chapel Hill. Thies was president of Thies Realty & Mortgage Company, a firm founded by his grandfather. He was a trustee of the Nalle Clinic Foundation and had served for half a century as a trustee of the Myers Park Civic Commission. He was a founder of Charlotte Latin School, in the belief that excellent liberal arts education is essential for those who must assume the mantle of leadership in future generations, and he served for a decade as the first chairman of that institution's board of trustees. He founded Southeastern Savings Bank, serving as chairman of the board of directors and, for a time, as president, and he served as a founding director of the Scottish Bank. He loved his family and friends, his country, and his God. He served with pride in the U.S. Army Adjutant General's Corps during the Korean War. He attended Christ Episcopal Church. Loved by his family and friends, he was an extraordinarily compassionate, generous, and gentle man, ever courteous, with great strength of character and abiding faith. Much cherished also are his ready sense of humor, his felicitous sharing of his deep knowledge of and love of literature and history, as well as many happy times together at the beach cottage he designed and built in the 1960s at Garden City, S.C. Thies was preceded in death by his beloved wife of nearly 50 years, Janet Rich Thies. He is survived by their children, Frank R. Thies III '82, 609 Poplar St., Spartanburg, SC 29302, Mary Janet Thies Hawkins (George), F. Boyce Thies, J. Lawton Thies '88, and Charles Rich Thies; by granddaughters, Caroline Ramsay Hawkins, Mary Padgett Hawkins, and Julia Banister Hawkins; by his dear friend, Nancy Cheatham Riggsbee; by brother-in-law, Charles B. Rich, Jr. (Marsha); and sisters-in-law, Lyttleton Rich Hollowell (Tom) and Ann Boyce Gyger (Roland). He is survived, also, by nieces, Mary Denton Lunsford, Elizabeth Denton Shah-Kahn, Jennifer Rich, Eve Gyger, Rebecca Gyger DuPont, and Alexandra Gyger Roy, and nephew, Charles B. Rich III.
Henry Archer Trulove, Jr. '51, 82, of Richmond, Va., passed away Feb. 20, 2012. Born Oct. 24, 1929, in Wilmington, N.C., he was preceded in death by his mother, Carlotta Cornelius Trulove; father, Henry Archer Trulove, Sr.; sisters, Elise Shamburger and Sally Covington (husband, the late Van A. Covington, Jr. '50); and lifelong best friend, William "Billy" H. McEachern. Trulove was a devoted husband and is survived by his loving wife of 60 years, Flora McIver Trulove, 9326 Southport Dr., Richmond, VA 23235; his daughters, Susan M. Trulove, Nancy T. Taylor (Carl), and Rebecca T. Crump (Taylor); granddaughter, Holly T. Noble; grandsons, Burns V. Noble III, Drue M. Noble, Taylor N. Crump III, David A. Crump, and Ryan M. Crump. Trulove graduated from Davidson in 1951 with a B.S. degree in economics. He was a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army, serving in the Korean War, and was awarded the Korean Service Medal with two Bronze Service Stars and the United Nations Service Medal. Trulove worked for Gregory Poole Equipment Company in Raleigh, N.C., until 1968 when he began a successful career with Ball Incon Corp., where he was a district sales manager until he retired in 1993. He was a longtime member of Bon Air Presbyterian Church. He and Flora were avid golfers, enjoyed Friday night dinners, and Trulove also enjoyed playing cards, especially a good gin game in the Men's Grill. Trulove had a good soul and was a generous, caring, and kind-hearted man who never met a stranger. He was dearly loved and adored by his family and will be deeply missed by those whose lives he touched.
Robert Louis Murray '52, 81, died on April 11, 2012. He was preceded in death by his parents, Robert Lebby '17 and Madge Pritchett Murray, of Raeford and Graham, N.C. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Marjorie Johnston Murray, 4825 Buckhorn Rd. SW, Roanoke, VA 24018-8603. He is also survived by his sons, Alex Murray '79 (Catherine) and Craige Murray '80 (Sonja); daughters, Martha Ball (Richard) and Emily Murray Lehr; 11 grandchildren, Christopher, Taylor, and Meredith Murray, Katherine, Rebecca, and Addison Murray, Andrew, Johnston, and Daniel Ball, and Amanda '12 and Eric Lehr. Murray was a graduate of Davidson and the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. After an internship at the University of North Carolina Hospital in Chapel Hill, he entered the U.S. Army Medical Corps and served in Berlin. Germany, with the rank of captain. He returned to Chapel Hill for a residency in radiology. In 1962 he joined the radiology practice of Drs. Peterson, Barker, and Smith, predecessor to Radiology Associates of Roanoke. He served on the medical staffs of Community Hospital of Roanoke Valley and Roanoke Memorial Hospital. He was a diplomate of the American Board of Radiology and a member of numerous professional societies and associations, including the American College of Radiology, the Radiological Society of North America, the American Roentgen Ray Society, the American Medical Association, the Medical Society of Virginia, and the Roanoke Academy of Medicine. He served as instructor in radiology at the UNC School of Medicine and as clinical assistant professor of radiology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He was the author of several articles in medical journals. He retired in 1993 after 31 years of practice. Murray was a member and deacon of Second Presbyterian Church in Roanoke. He served on the board of directors of the Roanoke Symphony Society and the board of trustees of the Art Museum of Western Virginia having served the latter organization for three six-year terms between 1972 and 2000. He was a member of the English Speaking Union and the Roanoke Round Table. Murray had a long time interest in bonsai. He was a member and past president of the Hinoki Bonsai Club of Roanoke. He was active in the club's educational program, frequently presenting lectures and demonstrations on the principles and art of bonsai. One of his bonsai trees was awarded a blue ribbon at the Virginia State Fair in 1995 and one received "Best in Show" award at the 2001 Carolina Bonsai Expo at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville. Several of his bonsai are now in the permanent collection of the North Carolina Arboretum. Other hobby interests included photography and collecting vintage German cameras. He and his wife were avid travelers, especially enjoying travel and attending operas and other classical music events in Europe, as well as in the U.S. Travel activities in later years were primarily enjoyed on ocean cruises.
Jesse Marion "Dick" Coburn '53, 80, of Whiteville, N.C., died April 2, 2012, at his residence. He was the son of the late Jesse Norman Coburn and Hattie Green Coburn Sadler. Coburn was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and elder, and was owner of G & C Motor Company in Whiteville for over 25 years. He also served on the board of directors of Waccamaw Bank and helped organize the Lake Waccamaw Sailing Club. Survivors include his wife, Ann Guiton Coburn, 1219 Pinckney St., Whiteville, NC 28472-2211; sons, Jesse Marion Coburn, Jr. (Janet) and John Cameron Coburn; sister, Virginia Coburn Powell (husband, the late Walter H. Powell, Jr. '40); granddaughters, Virginia Ann Coburn and Lisa Lynn Coburn; and grandsons, Jesse Marion Coburn III and John "Jack" Cameron Coburn, Jr.
Hindman Doxey, Jr. '53, age 80, died unexpectedly from a brain aneurysm at his home in Jackson, Miss., on Jan. 16, 2012. He was preceded in death by his father and mother, Hindman and Mary Bitzer Doxey. He is survived by sisters, Sarah Doxey Greer, 2611 Lakeshire Dr., Tupelo, MS 38804-6979, Helen Doxey Tyson (Jack), and Frances Doxey Winter (Rusty). Other survivors include six nieces, one of whom is Katherine Tate of Jackson; two nephews; great-nieces; great-nephews; and seven first cousins (including, Edgar W. Francisco III '52). Hindman was a native of Holly Springs. He attended Davidson, graduated from Ole Miss, and received his master's degree in geology from Louisiana State University. He was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity and was a U.S. Army veteran. He retired from a career in Jackson as a geologist with CITGO Oil Company. Hindman attended North Park Presbyterian Church for many years. Among his many travels were family vacations to Montreat and annual trips to Sicily for the past 22 years.
Hal Avon Davis, Jr. '54, 79, of Asheboro, N.C., died March 17, 2012, at Grace Hospital, Morganton, N.C. Davis was born Oct. 18, 1932. He was the son of the late Hal Avon Davis and Martha Jones Bass Davis. Davis attended Davidson and graduated from UNC School of Dentistry. He served his country in the U.S. Air Force at Brookley Air Force Base in Mobile, Ala., from 1957-59. He opened his dental practice in Asheboro in 1959. Upon his retirement in 1994, he taught in the dental hygiene program at Guilford Technical Community College until 2007. He also enjoyed his fill-in work at other dental offices. He was a member of the N.C. Dental Society and the Randolph County Dental Society, where he enjoyed the fellowship of his dental colleagues. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon, elder, and Sunday school teacher. He was an Eagle Scout and supported his sons' Eagle achievement. "Dr. D" respected and loved his patients and staff. He enjoyed sharing his garden harvest with others. His love of giving and generosity was appreciated by his family and community. He loved the annual family beach trips, grandchildren's activities, his animals, fishing, bowling, and UNC basketball. Davis is survived by his wife of 57 years, Marion Davis, 620 Maple Ave., Asheboro, NC 27203. He is also survived by his daughters, Deborah H. Davis '77 and her children, William H. Singley, Julia B. Singley '15, and Thomas J. Singley; Karen E. Coltrane (Warren) and children, Kathleen E. Hall and Evelyn R. Cabon; sons, Hal A. Davis III (Louise) and children, Rose E. Davis and Emma G. Davis; Thomas E. Davis '89 (Jayne) and their dogs, Dare and Tally; sisters, Martha Ann Springer and Mary Beth Masline (Richard '64); sisters-in-law, Carole McKinley and Neal Maness; and son-in-law, Dewayne Singley.
Stebbins Brokenborough Ingram '55, of Matthews, N.C., passed Feb. 27, 2012. His love of life was apparent until he departed this world to join his heavenly Father. He was born June 24, 1933, in Winston-Salem, N.C., the son of the late James Berkley Ingram, Sr. and Virginia Stebbins Ingram. His immediate family includes his wife, Connie Lancaster Ingram, 220 Reefton Rd., Matthews, NC 28105; daughters, Karen Stebbins Ingram and Virginia Carter Ingram (Ariel Cintrón Arias); sister, Virginia Stebbins Ingram; niece, Jane Berkley Ingram von Feilitzsch (Heribert) and sons Fabian, Phillip, and Mathias; and family cousins, Mary Dare and Howard and Mary Howard Holderness. He was preceded in death by his brother, James Berkley Ingram, Jr. '46. He was proud of his foreign exchange students, Anna Caterina Paola Erba from Milan, Italy; Sandra Durán Farré from Barcelona, Spain; Alexia Hou from Bordeaux, France; and Evgenia "Jane" Egorova from Moscow, Russia; and their families. His beloved cat, Brooklyn, and greyhounds, Peaches and Meg-o Ingram, had a special place in his heart. He loved the staff and customers of Johnny K's restaurant in Indian Trail, world history, current events, traveling the world, and was very devoted to his family and friends. He hated peaches-the fruit-and tolerated Peaches, the dog. He had a great sense of humor and loved food from the 1950s, especially tomato aspic and anything he could augment with Texas Pete (from Winston-Salem, mind you). He was very proud of the major awards given to him in December 2011, by Roscoe and Sara Wagoner and Howard and Mary Dare Holderness. His friends and family treasure the goodness, integrity, honor, and good humor he projected. A graduate of Davidson, he served in the U.S. Army Agency as a cryptography analyst. Highlights of his career include VP of Wachovia Corporation, president of Wachovia Services, forming Allied Financial Services (a data processing firm processing banks throughout N.C., S.C., and Va.), founding director and president of the National Association of Bank Servicers, founding Ingram & Associates, Inc., and consulting with financial institutions throughout the U.S. and Russia. He designed and developed a nationwide computer-driven teller machine.
Nicholas Eugene "Gene" Stallworth Scarborough, Sr. '55, of Camden, S.C., died March 23, 2012. He is survived by his wife, Paula Pannell Scarborough, P.O. Box 281, Camden, SC 29021; his brother, Claude Mood Scarborough, Jr.; three sons, Nicholas Eugene Stallworth Scarborough, Jr., Mikell Ross Scarborough, and William Lucas Scarborough; and five grandchildren.
James Milton Brown '57, 80, of Charlotte, N.C., died Feb. 24, 2012, at CMC Main in Charlotte. He was born in Pickens County, S.C., to William T. and Alma Smith Brown, the seventh of eight children, all whom have preceded him in death, except Mary. Brown served in the Marine Corps during 1951-53. He entered Davidson in January 1954, and graduated in May 1957. Following graduation, Brown began his career with Wachovia Bank and Trust Company in June 1957, and retired in 1994, after 37 years of loyal and dedicated service. He was a proud member of Durham Memorial Baptist Church since 1958. Brown is survived by his son, James M. Brown, Jr. '83, 5811 Donegal Dr., Charlotte, NC 28212-6716, and his daughter, Julie E. Brown; his sister, Mary Hendrix; two sisters-in-law; and 11 nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Clara Lankford Brown.
Walter Wellington Pharr, Jr. '57, 76, of Finksburg, Md., died Dec. 12, 2011, at Brinton Woods Nursing and Rehabilitation in Sykesville, Md. Born Aug. 13, 1935, in Oak Hill, W.Va., he was the son of the late Walter Wellington Pharr and Minnie Louise Moore Pharr. He was the husband of Mary Ann Pharr, 1928 Deer Park Ave., Finksburg, MD 21048. He was a retired computer programmer for the Social Security Administration. He enjoyed performing magic, reading, walking, photography, and playing chess.
Charles Edwin "Nick" Carter '58 passed away on Jan. 28, 2012, in Santa Rosa, Calif. Carter is survived by his daughter, Paige Carter Burgess, 2250 Yucca St., Santa Rosa, CA 95405-8545; sons, Charles "Chuck" E. Carter II (Dawn) and Jeffrey H. Carter (Kelly Hath); granddaughter, Alix Burgess; grandsons, Connor Burgess and Chase and Ashton Carter; sister, Mary Catherine Pace (Roy); and nephews, Robert Dameworth and Bill Dameworth and his former wife, Joan Carter-Jones (Doug Jones). Carter was born in Memphis, Tenn., and raised in Mt. Airy, N.C. He moved to Sonoma County in 1968. He attended Davidson and Duke University School of Medicine in N.C. He worked at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Ga., and in private practice at Redwood Radiology for 30 years. He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy and a member of the Naval Officer Medical Corps, the American Medical Association, Sonoma County Medical Association, American Board of Radiology, and the Sonoma County Trailblazers. He loved family vacations, travel, skiing, horsemanship, dogs, and painting.
Hiram Pendleton Caton III '58 passed away Dec. 13, 2010, in Ingham, Australia. He was the son of Hiram P. Caton, Jr. and Dorothy Corl Caton Epley. He was born in Concord, N.C., Aug. 16, 1936. Caton attended Davidson and completed his undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of Chicago. He took his Ph.D. at Yale University. Caton earned the doctor of letters at Griffith University in Brisbane, Australia, for his contribution to modern history. Caton was professor of politics and history and head of the School of Applied Ethics at Griffith University until his retirement. His works were concerned with ethics in the sciences, the history of ideas, and the biological basis for individual, social, and political behavior. He was published extensively in the fields of medical ethics and bioethics, human ethology, and modern political and economic behavior. He is preceded in death by his parents. Survivors include two daughters, Sonia Luise Caton (Chris Evason) and Claudia Ingeborg Caton; two granddaughters, Nina Evason and Francesca Evason; two sisters, Elizabeth Caton Book (William) and Dorothy Caton Holding (Harry); nieces and nephews; and an uncle and several aunts.
David George Broadbear '59 was born on March 24, 1937, and passed away on April 25, 2011. He was a resident of San Francisco, Calif.
Henry Clay Robertson III '61, of Charleston, S.C., entered into eternal rest on Feb. 12, 2012. Husband of Vida FitzSimons Robertson, 42 1/2 Barre St., Charleston, SC 29401, Robertson was born Nov. 30, 1939, in Charleston, S.C., the son of Henry C. Robertson, Jr. and Elizabeth Lebby Robertson. He graduated from Davidson and the Medical University of South Carolina. He received his medical training at MUSC and Grady Memorial Hospital. He was board certified in internal medicine and cardiology. He served as president of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society and was a member of the following: the Widows and Orphans Society, fellow with American College of Cardiology, American Medical Association, S.C. Medical Association, Charleston County Medical Society, Medical Society of S.C., American Society of Internal Medicine, and Southern Medical Association. He served as a lieutenant commander as a physician with the U.S. Navy from 1967-69. He was in private practice in both Savannah and Charleston from 1972-97. He was director of The Citadel Infirmary from 1987 until his retirement in 2005. Robertson was a lifelong member of St. Philip's Episcopal Church, where he served as senior and junior warden. He served on the Diocesan Council and was chairman for the Department of Youth and College Ministries and the board at Saint John's Mission Center from 1988 until present. He was very involved in Cursillo. He was a member of the Carolina Yacht Club, where he worked tirelessly to encourage and promote youth sailing. He organized and was captain of the Charleston Sunfish Fleet. Other civic and social memberships included the South Carolina Society, St. Cecelia Society, the Charleston Rotary, and the Charleston Breakfast Clubs. He was vice chairman of the board of directors at Trident Academy. He is survived by his wife; one daughter, Vida Barnwell Robertson; one son, William Lebby Robertson (Krista); one grandson, Jackson Lebby Robertson; and one sister, Ross Haddon Robertson (Margaret Dear). He is preceded in death by his son, Henry Clay Robertson IV.
Ronnie Nelson Anderson '62, 71, died Nov. 18 in Cheyenne, Wyo. Anderson was born May 21, 1940, in Mocksville, N.C., and grew up in Winston-Salem, N.C. He went to Davidson, where he played on the basketball team and joined the Sigma Chi fraternity. In his junior year, he transferred to the UNC Chapel Hill, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He completed his undergraduate work in 1962, and continued on to graduate school in finance at UNC, obtaining his Ph.D. in 1972. After graduate school, he took a teaching job at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he also met his wife, Suzanne. He later joined the faculty at the University of Maryland in College Park. Eventually, he left teaching and worked first in research at the Treasury Department, and then as director of research for the trust department of Equitable Trust Bank in Baltimore. He later joined Investment Counselors of Maryland and then moved to Boston to become vice president of Fidelity Investments. He subsequently left to join Colonial Management as vice president managing the bond department. In Boston, he and Suzanne pursued their love of sailing, racing International 210's for 15 years in Hingham and Gloucester, Mass. After retirement the family moved to Sequim, Wash., where Anderson and his son, Whittaker, spent many days exploring the nearby parks and forests. His favorite pastime was participating in activities with his son, Whittaker. They shared a common interest in investing as well as skiing (including heli-skiing), sailing, and dirt biking. For a while, they launched rockets off the porch in Massachusetts. Cheyenne became Anderson's home in May 2010. He enjoyed the people and the open space. He was respected and admired as a man of integrity and kindness. Anderson is survived by his beloved son, Whittaker Wilmeth Anderson; his friend and former wife, Suzanne Wilmeth Anderson, 801 Orion Dr., Cheyenne, WY 82009-8518; his dear niece, Leslie Anderson Newsome, (Ashley); grandniece, Elliot; sister-in-law, Linda Anderson; and many friends. He was preceded in death by his brother, Larry Anderson, and his parents, Elvie Godbey Nevins and A. Wayne Anderson. Memorials may be made to Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035-7174.
William Milton Shumaker '62, 71, of Columbia, S.C., formerly of Monroe, went home to be with his Lord and Savior on April 25, 2012. Shumaker was the son of the late Milton William and Matilda Simon Shumaker, and was a graduate of Davidson in 1962. Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Ann Ewing Shumaker, 1735 Sapling Dr., Columbia, SC 29210; one daughter, Elizabeth Ann; two granddaughters, Amanda Kathryn Whalen and Sarah Ann Whalen; one sister, Elizabeth Goodman; and two nephews.
Harvey Rush Woodside, Jr. '62, 71, of Ringgold, Ga., passed away Feb. 14, 2012, surrounded by his family. Woodside had been a resident of Ringgold since 1988 and was of the Baptist faith. He was employed by the Federal Reserve for over 20 years as a bank examiner before retiring from Daily Citizens News in 1995. He enjoyed reading, fishing, and Crafting for Christ through Chattanooga Baptist Association. Woodside is preceded in death by his parents, Harvey Rush '35 and Elizabeth Bolton Woodside, Sr. He is survived by his wife of 22 years, Loretta Woodside, P.O. Box 87, Ringgold, GA 30736; children, Michael Bolton Woodside (Lisa), Samuel Jackson Woodside (Cindy), Elizabeth Celeste Greenwood, Dewayne Johnson (Lisa), Charles L. Griffin (Anita), and Douglas Griffin (Becky); 12 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.
Ottis Moss Ballenger '63, 70, loving husband of Ann Sutherland Ballenger, 11 Red Fox Trl., Greenville, SC 29615, died peacefully among family on Feb. 2, 2012, at his home after a long battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). Born in Toccoa, Ga., he was a son of the late Ottis and Marjorie Moss Ballenger. He graduated from Davidson and the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC). Ballenger served as a Navy doctor, lieutenant commander, at Camp Lejeune, N.C., and then specialized in neurosurgery at MUSC. Ballenger came to Greenville, S.C., in 1973 and joined Neurosurgical Associates-his partners were Dr. Frank Espey, Dr. Ted Littlepage, and Dr. John Lucas. He retired in 1996 and enjoyed traveling the world with his wife. He was an avid reader, always sharing articles and books with friends and encouraging the search for knowledge. His love for animals led him to be a passionate supporter of the Humane Society and Concerned Citizens for Animals; one of the highlights of his life was a trip to Kenya to see the wildlife there. Ballenger was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Greenville and the Greenville County Medical Society. During his formative years in Easley, Ballenger was a member of Boy Scout Troop 26. With the Boy Scouts, he earned rank of Eagle Scout in 1956 and the Order of the Arrow. Scouting reinforced the solid foundation that steadied Ballenger throughout his life. He had a fervent work ethic and a compelling love of God and country. Surviving are his wife of 49 years, Ann; his daughters, Amy Ballenger Guest (Elijah) and Laura Ballenger Foxhall (Scott); his son, Ottis Mark Ballenger (Lydia); and five grandchildren, Will Guest, Owen and Lucian Ballenger, and Kade and Kennedy Foxhall. He is also survived by his brothers, James F. Ballenger and Terrell D. Ballenger (Greer).
William Edward Dole, Jr. '64, of Fresno, Calif., died Nov. 28. He is survived by his wife, Kathleen Jan Dole, 4750 N. Sunset Ave., Fresno, CA 93704.
Thomas Harrison Whitley, Jr. '64 passed away on Jan. 29, 2012, at Danville Regional Medical Center (Danville, Va.). Whitley was born March 2, 1942, in Wadesboro, N.C., the son of the late Thomas H. and Robbie Jean Whitley. He grew up in Yanceyville, N.C., and was a graduate of Davidson and the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He played baseball at Davidson and was a lifetime, avid baseball fan. He did an internship and residency at Vanderbilt University, followed by endocrinology fellowships at the UNC and Vanderbilt University. He was board certified in endocrinology and metabolism. He was a major in the U.S. Army, serving in South Korea and Madigan Hospital in Tacoma, Wash. He moved to Danville in 1975 and was in private practice in endocrinology until his retirement in 2005. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church. He is survived by his wife, Jennifer, 183 Fairmont Cir., Danville, VA 24541; his daughter, Carson Beckemeyer (Jim); his sons, Harrison, Tim (Valerie), and Rob; grandchild, Graham; and brother, Bob Whitley (Denice). Whitley loved sharing stories and quotes with his children and took pride in their accomplishments.
James Lanier "Rocky" Walker '66 was born Aug. 20, 1944, in Bradenton, Fla., to Clifford Walker and Dorothy Hefner Walker. He died on March 18, 2012, after a four-year battle with cancer. He is survived by his loving wife, Jacki Etheridge Walker, 48 Condesa Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87508-2154; son, Christopher Walker and his children, Jesse Walker, Christina Walker, and Caitlin Walker; daughter, Angela Walker Murphy (Noel) and their daughter, Arah Murphy; daughter, Claire Walker; brother, Ralph C. Walker (Kathy) and their children, Laura Walker Pellissier (Dan), Mark Walker (Sara), and Tyler Walker (Maria); mother-in-law, Mrs. Francis Etheridge; and sister-in-law, Patti Etheridge Lloyd (James) and their children, Katherine Lloyd Hall (Jackson Tavo Hall) and Elizabeth Lloyd. Walker was preceded in death by his parents and his father-in-law, John Morgan Etheridge. Walker was raised in Sarasota, Fla., and was a lifelong Eagle Scout. He received his bachelor's degree from Davidson and earned his law degree from Vanderbilt University School of Law in Nashville, Tenn., where he distinguished himself by serving as associate articles editor for the Vanderbilt Law Review and his induction into the prestigious Order of the Coif. Walker served his country as a captain in the U.S. Army, and he was a veteran of the Vietnam War. Walker practiced law for 37 years as a commercial and personal injury litigation defense lawyer. For the past 19 years, Walker was a partner with the law firm of Jackson Walker in San Antonio, where he was head of the litigation section for all of the Jackson Walker offices. He was licensed to practice law in Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico, as well as numerous federal district and federal appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court. Last fall, Walker was honored with the Association of Corporate Counsel South/Central Texas Chapter's "Ethical Life Award," indicative of the high esteem and respect he earned from his colleagues. Walker was a member of the Texas Association of Defense Counsel and the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, of which he was past president. He was a frequent seminar program chairman and speaker on the ethical practice of law. In addition, Walker served as chairman of the State Bar of Texas District Four Grievance Committee and was a member of the Texas Lawyers Assistance Committee of the State Bar of Texas. He was board chairman of the Palmer Drug Abuse Program in San Antonio, and he served on the board of trustees for the South Central Texas Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Walker recently became a senior partner with the law firm, and he and Jacki moved to Santa Fe, N.Mex., in December 2011, to begin a new chapter in their lives together. While he was proud of his many accomplishments in the legal profession, Walker was most proud of his wife, Jacki, his children, grandchildren, and his many friends. He was a devoted Christian, a child of God, and a committed member of Christ Episcopal Church. Walker loved to be outdoors, whether hiking the Grand Canyon (after several rounds of chemotherapy and radiation) or gardening, and he loved baseball. He had a passion for the peace and tranquility of fly-fishing in the clear waters of beautiful rivers, which was a reflection of the way he lived his life-calmly, methodically, serenely-appreciating the beauty and serenity of God's creation around him, which gave him the ultimate grace for which he was known by all. Walker is now healed, free of cancer, and he dwells in the presence of God in His Eternal Kingdom. Bishop Brent wrote, "Life is eternal; and love is immortal; and Death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight." Walker is now on the other side of the horizon just beyond our human sight, and he joyfully worships God in the Father's presence alongside those who have gone before him.
Timothy Simes Rothermel '68, of New York City, N.Y., passed away peacefully on Feb. 6, 2012, surrounded by family and friends. Rothermel devoted his life to helping others, and during his more than 30 years with UNDP, and the Carter Center, many of them spent in Palestine, he was a friend and mentor to all who knew him. He is survived by his wife, Joan, 10 Mitchell Pl., Apt. 3H, New York, NY 10017-1801, and his children, Sara '00 and David. Memorials may be made to Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035-7174.
Harry Edmunds Parker III '69 was born on Oct. 26, 1947, and passed away on June 5, 2011. He was a resident of Sherrills Ford, N.C.
Karl Edmund Goodhouse '77, 57, of Oak Park, Ill., passed away peacefully at his home March 27, 2012. He had suffered over the past year from Glioblastoma brain cancer. He was born March 6, 1955, in Torrington, Conn., son of Gloria M. Goodhouse and the late Carl J. Goodhouse. He was an honors graduate of Davidson and served as president of the student union carrying out the responsibilities for coordinating and publicizing cultural programs at Davidson. A native of Litchfield, Conn., Goodhouse traveled south to college so he could play golf year-round, but, during his four years at Davidson, he stayed so involved in campus activities that he rarely ever found time to play even one round of golf. His work career began in public service as assistant public service and information officer for Mecklenburg County Government, Charlotte, N.C., and later being named editor of the Mecklenburg County Outlook newsletter. As he gravitated toward new interests, he found himself in a business he so dearly loved, the petroleum industry. Goodhouse, president of Clark Brands, LLC, a man of integrity and character, would ditto words from a longtime friend and business associate, "One important measure of a man is: Did we leave a footprint? Did we help others? Did we make a difference?" He was dedicated and passionate about his work, building with his co-workers a successful business. His passions extended beyond work with his love of music, gardening, the arts, writing, golf, and reading. He enjoyed spending time with his family and friends. He had a love for poetry and an eye for pottery. He was a loving husband; one of his many quotes to his wife, "I love you from here to the moon and the stars and back again", to his family and friends, "Have I told you how much I love you?" and, "Do you know how much I love you?" will never be forgotten. He will surely be missed. Surviving are his wife, Cynthia, 510 N East Ave., Oak Park, IL 60302; his daughter, Bridgette Mann; his grandson, Dustin; great-granddaughter, Faith; brother, Robert C. Goodhouse (Margaret); nephews, Andrew and Alex; Nancy A. Goodhouse, mother of nephews Alex and (godson) Andrew; and Oreo, the family cat, along with numerous family members and family friends, as well.
Andrea Rosemary Murphy Moar Schenck '78, professional actor, died by accidental drowning on Jan. 13, 2012, at the age of 55 years, while on vacation with her husband in Cancun, Mexico. Professional actor (stage name Andrea Moar) on television in New York and Los Angeles (ABC-TV All My Children, where she played the role of Carrie that consistently generated high "Q ratings"; the series Rituals; and guest appearance on the "Molten Steele" episode of the Remington Steele series). She played the role of "fast blond in the sporty barbeque grill" in the award winning (for comedy) commercial for Kraft Kansas City Barbeque Sauce; appeared in an American Express commercial, and played roles in nearly 60 plays, including The Women at Park Square Theater in St. Paul. She remained a member of the Screen Actors Guild based in Los Angeles. Murphy-Schenck was regarded as a unique, enthusiastic, passionate, caring person and devoted, loyal friend ("I never give up on people") with a generous spirit and a vibrant and engaging personality. She hosted social events with a special flare, including the 20th anniversary party of the Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center in 1998 that was held outdoors under tents. She had a zest for life and loved animals and birds. (One of her favorite expressions was: "I find children and animals endlessly fascinating to watch.") She was a sports enthusiast, and was an avid tennis player who had won the New Jersey high school state individual championship. She loved swimming in the ocean, was a gifted amateur photographer, and was keenly interested and knowledgeable in jewelry and gemology. She had an impressive talent for interior decorating. She collected snow globes during her extensive travels with her husband. She coauthored a novel with her brother entitled The Griffon Trilogy: Part I that was released on July 1, 2001 (Pub-Booklocker). She was truly a modern-day Renaissance woman. Born in Dayton, Ohio, she was raised in Princeton, N.J., and was a graduate of Davidson with a B.A. in English literature and studied at the University of Montpelier in France during a Junior Year Abroad program. Married in 2005 to Carlos H. Schenck, M.D., senior staff psychiatrist at Hennepin County Medical Center and Minnesota Regional Sleep Disorders Center, and professor of psychiatry at the University of Minnesota, with whom she traveled extensively to professional meetings and his lectures around the country and the world, was his self-described "documentarian" through her photographs and videotaping. Murphy-Schenck, daughter of the late Paul Daniel Murphy, Jr., a psychiatrist, is survived by her husband, Carlos (and Brio, their beloved four-year-old Tsang Apso, i.e., Tibetan Terrier), 4715 Girard Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55419; her mother, Dimitria Sarhanis Murphy, former ballet dancer of the Metropolitan Opera in New York City; her sister, Sheila Murphy Moar (James Moar) and their two children, Amanda and Zachary; and her brother, Douglas Paul Murphy (Elaine) and two children, Kali and Max. Murphy-Schenck was a direct descendant, from her father's side, of Captain James Lawrence, who coined the famous naval battle cry during the War of 1812, "Don't give up the ship!"