The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA) and Dean of Faculty is responsible for the overall coordination and administration of the academic program at Davidson College. The VPAA reports directly to the President of the College and is a member of the president's Principal Executive Staff (PES). Four associate deans, the Director of the college library, the College Registrar, and the Director of the Dean Rusk Program report directly to the VPAA.
Principal duties of the VPAA include:
- serving as the liaison to the trustee committee on Academic and Educational Policy
- chairing the Educational Policy Committee (EPC) that considers all curricular initiatives prior to their presentation to the faculty (working closely with the Associate Dean for Curriculum who is advisory to the EPC)
- coordinating the assessment of requests for new positions, both tenure-track and visiting; interviewing all faculty candidates
- administering and implementing faculty evaluation for annual performance review and salary adjustments, renewals and reappointments, tenure reviews, and post-tenure reviews
- assuming principal responsibility for the design of the academic affairs budget for consideration in the annual budget process
- monitoring the work of the College Registrar, Library Director, and Dean Rusk Program director
- assuming a lead role in the assessment of need for and design of new academic facilities
- coordinating the work of the associate deans in the areas of administration, teaching and learning, curriculum, and international
Clark G. Ross, the Frontis W. Johnston Professor of Economics, has served as the VPAA since July 1998; he has taught at Davidson College since August 1979. View Dr. Ross' profile page in Economics.