The following awards were given, with these citations, at Davidson College's Spring Convocation on April 26, 2012:
- The Porter Vinson Chemistry Award is given annually to a rising junior who shows unusual mastery of the field of chemistry and who has exhibited significant promise for further study. The award winner this year has proven his mastery by producing wonderful work in general, organic, and physical chemistry already in his first two years here. The Chemistry Department is proud to present this award to James Earle Smith ($250 prize).
- The David Halbert Howard, Jr. Chemistry Award is given annually to a rising senior who demonstrates the greatest potential for significant contributions in the field of chemistry. Our recipient this year is known for her enthusiasm, considerable skill, and effervescent personality. It is with great pleasure that the Chemistry Department presents this award to Marja Elizabeth (Beth) Mundy ($300 prize).
These Chemistry Department awards were presented at the final colloquium of the year, on May 4, 2012:
- Oustanding First-Year Student Awards - Rachel Barkley and George Mukosera (CRC with certificate)
- American Chemical Society Polyed/Organic Chemistry Award - Margaret Forshag (certificate)
- ACS Analytical Chemistry Award - Morgan Brown (certificate and Journal of Analytical Chemistry subscription)
- ACS Inorganic Chemistry Award - Shamita Punjabi (certificate and gift card)
- Nominated for ACS-Carolina/Piedmont Section Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award - Brian Bouchard (certificate and gift card), which he co-won!
- Nominated for ACS-Carolina/Piedmont Section Student Leadership Award - Shamita Punjabi (certificate and gift card)
- Nominated for ACS-Carolina/Piedmont Section Undergrduate Research Award - Mac Gilliland (certificate and gift card)
- Outstanding Senior/American Institute of Chemists Award - Brian Andrew Bouchard (Merck Index and AIC certificate)