The Service Odyssey program uses intensive community service to build relationships among participants, increase social awareness, and challenge individuals to work constructively within a group. Throughout the program, participants will serve with many Charlotte and Lake Norman area non-profit agencies. The range of social issues varies from education, homelessness, health, the environment, and more. In addition to their service, participants will also learn about the agencies, social issues, and the local community and will have the opportunity every night to process their experience through group reflection. The Service Odyssey reflects and enriches Davidson's commitment to develop the spirit of service within each student.
The experience is planned and facilitated by two student leaders who are trained, First Aid/ CPR-certified and eager to get to know the incoming first year students!
The participant registration fee covers all meals, transportation, and group/cultural outings throughout the duration of the Service Odyssey experience.
Sample Itinerary for 7 day program
(The schedule will be modified depending on the duration of the session and the activities subject to change. This is to provide an overview of the types of service)
- Day 1: Check-in, Challenge Course (Team building and problem-solving), Group Bonding
- Day 2: Morning of Service with Community Garden, Afternoon of Service with Food Panty, Group Reflection and Evening Activity
- Day 3: Day of Service on Home Construction, Group Reflection
- Day 4: Morning of Service with Soup Kitchen, Afternoon of Service with Food Bank, Group Reflection and Evening Activity
- Day 5: Morning of Service with a Homeless Day Shelter, Afternoon of Service with a Youth Development organization, Group Reflection.
- Day 6: Day of Service on Home Construction, Group Reflection
- Day 7: Debrief and Farewell