To facilitate network management, student-owned computers on the Davidson network must be named by their owner's username.
This utility ensures that your computer is named correctly and must be run once, regardless of your computer's current name.
- Close any other programs you are working in.
- Click the link below to download the Set Computer Name utility.
- Depending on how your computer is configured, your browser may automatically mount the SetComputerName.dmg file and open it in a window. If so, proceed to step 4. If not, locate the file you just downloaded (SetComputerName.dmg), then double-click to open it.
- In the Set Computer Name window, double-click the file called Set Computer Name. If you receive a security warning, click Open.
- When prompted, enter your College username (you may need to click on the entry field to activate it). Click OK when finished. Notice: Each computer on the network must have a unique name. According to Davidson network policy, that name must be based on your username. If you own more than computer, assign them numbers and enter them accordingly. The first computer will be named "yourusername", the second will be "yourusername2", etc.
- Check your spelling and confirm or deny it, as appropriate.
- Enter your administrator username and password for the computer (note that this is probably not the same as your College username and password).
- When the process is complete, you'll receive confirmation. Click OK.
- To complete the renaming process, your computer must be rebooted. Select Apple menu > Restart.
- After the reboot, browse to an outside web page (e.g. google.com) to continue the Bradford registration process.
Download the Set Computer Name utility after reviewing the instructions above.
Having trouble? Contact StudentTech at 704-894-2900, option 2, then option 1.