What is a Resume?
Review the Career Services Resume Guide
Typically, you will use a résumé when you apply for jobs and internships in business, government, K-12 teaching and the nonprofit fields. Your résumé is a synopsis of the most relevant professional academic and leadership accomplisments and experiences you have for a particular job application. It is typically 1 page in length.
What is a Curriculum Vitae (CV)?
Review the Career Services CV Guide
You will use a CV for academic and research positions. They are also common for grant, scholarship, and fellowship applications. Your CV is a comprehensive record of all your professional and academic activities including research, education, teaching, publications, awards and presentations. There is no page-limit on your CV.
Effective Resumes and CVs Get Noticed
- They emphasize and quantify relevant accomplishments and potential contributions.
- They focus on the skills necessary in a particular field or the requirements of a specific position.
- Are free of typos, concise, well organized, and easy to read.
Steps to Creating Your Resume or CV
- Understand How to Format and What to Include - Read through Davidson's resume and CV guides and review guides from schools such as the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University
- Brainstorm Items to Include and Write Your First Draft - Review samples for guidance on writing and formatting your resume. Plenty of samples can be found through the step above and ask to see samples of professionals in your field of interest.
- Have Your Resume or CV Draft Reviewed by Multiple Individuals - Career Services advisors and professionals in your field of interest will catch typos and offer competent advice. Stop by Career Services for critiques with career advisors and to connect with alumni, parents and employers who can offer additional feedback. Your resume or CV should be reviewed by a minimum of three individuals before it is submitted to an employer or graduate program.
- Continue to Update Your Resume or CV as You Progress Through College - Refresh your resume or CV once a month as you take on new challenges, projects, or leadership activities.