Each summer, 6 Davidson College students are selected to serve as Servant Leader Interns with Davidson College CDF Freedom Schools. The program provides summer enrichment, for children between kindergarten and 8th grades, which fosters a love for reading, increases self-esteem, and generates positive attitudes toward learning.
Servant Leader Interns take part in an in-depth training program prior to implementing a reading curriculum developed by the Children's Defense Fund. Through active learning experiences with children and daily debriefing meetings, interns develop a range of civic engagement skills in teaching, teambuilding, time management, public speaking, social action, negotiation and community building.
Servant Leaders Interns receive a $3,000 scholarship and on-campus housing for the duration of the program. They also attend the National Ella Baker Child Policy Institute through the Children's Defense fund at Haley Farm in Tennessee.
Application process: To apply to be a servant leader intern for the summer of 2013, students should complete the online application for the program.
Summer 2013 Program Dates:
• February 7th - Deadline to submit online application
• February 20th - 27th - Servant Leader Intern interviews
• Week of March 1st - Interns Notified
• May 24th- May 27th - Interns move into campus housing
• May 28th - May 31st- Local Training
• June 2nd- June 9th Ella Baker Child Policy Institute, Knoxville TN
• June 17th - June 21st - Prepare Classrooms!!!
• June 24th - August 2nd- Service in Freedom Schools classrooms