Charles Newell Burch '31, of Memphis, Tenn., passed away on Sept. 26, 2009. Burch was born on Aug. 25, 1910, in Memphis. After graduating from Davidson, Burch married Catherine Gifford in 1952. Through a charitable organization they founded and operated, known as the Christian Fellowship for the Visually Impaired, the couple taught Bible classes for the visually challenged for many years at Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, where the couple attended their entire adult life. The Burches also taught Bible classes in city and county jails, and supported numerous charitable organizations with monthly contributions. He was preceded in death by his wife in 1997, and the couple had no children. He was also preceded in death by his sister, Chloe Burch, who was his only close relative.
Luther Fritz Byerly '35, 98, of Banner Elk, N.C., died Nov. 29, 2009, at Blowing Rock Hospital. He was born Nov. 17, 1911, in Guilford County, N.C., a son of the late Everett Grant and Alice Grimes Byerly. Byerly was a retired employee of T.M. Leasing Company, and served in the U.S. Army during WWII. He was a graduate of Davidson and a member of Holy Cross Episcopal Church. Byerly is survived by two sons, Larry Byerly (Robin), P.O. Box 429, Boone, NC 28607, and Stephen A. Byerly (Karen); two granddaughters, Erin B. Henkels (Tim) and Meredith B. Stafford (Monty); two grandsons, Lawrence F. Byerly, Jr. (Marielle) and Alan L. Byerly; three great-granddaughters, Anna Stafford, Sadie Stafford, and Isabelle Byerly; and one sister, Ruth B. Henderson. He is also survived by two step-grandchildren, five step-great-grandchildren, one niece, and two nephews. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife, Nina Penton Byerly; one sister, Pauline Rawls; and one brother, E. Grant Byerly.
William Guerin White '36, 94, died June 7 at the Allen Morgan Health Center. He was born Dec. 13, 1915, in Cameron, W.Va., to William and Lula Ingalls White. He grew up in Norfolk, Va. He earned a bachelor of science degree from Davidson and graduated from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in 1940. His internship was at Gorgas Hospital in Panama. He served in the military as a captain and diagnostician for the U.S. Public Health Service, spending a year in Mexico City and visiting every Coast Guard station on the Great Lakes taking chest X-rays with a portable unit. His specialty was pulmonary medicine. In 1945, the Tennessee legislature authorized the establishment of regional hospitals for tuberculosis treatment. White was invited to participate in the development of this statewide system and was instrumental in the creation of the West Tennessee Chest Disease Hospital. He married Billie Frances Barton in 1951. They were charter members of Shady Grove Presbyterian Church, where he served as an elder and sang in the choir for more than 40 years. In 1975, The West Tennessee Chest Disease Hospital was turned over to the University of Tennessee, and he joined the staff of the teaching hospital and the Shelby County Health Department, where he served dual appointments. He retired in 1986. White enjoyed tennis, boating, and music and had learned to play a variety of instruments and participated in the Memphis chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. One of his greatest joys was spending summers at his family residence in Larrabee, Maine. He was preceded in death by his son, William Guerin White, Jr., and is survived by his wife, Billie, 5410 Walnut Grove Rd., Memphis, TN 38120; his daughter, Gloria White (Ed Rainey); and his granddaughter, Jessica White.
L. Hunter Pharr '37, 94, of Charlotte, N.C., passed away June 19 at Plantation Estates in Matthews, N.C. He was born Dec. 1, 1915, at the family home on Providence Road to Walter Hazel and Louise Hunter Pharr and lived all but a few years in Charlotte. Pharr attended Davidson and served in the Marine Corps during WWII as a naval mail clerk. While working at the Providence Road pharmacy, he met a Queens College student, Mildred Massenburg, his wife of 69 years. Pharr was preceded in death by his sister, Cynthia P. Whiting, and brothers, Robert Baxter Pharr and Walter Springs Pharr '38. He is survived by his wife, Millie, 701 Plantation Estates Dr., WillowBrooke Ct., Matthews, NC 28105; a brother, Hazel Harris "Dux" Pharr '45; three sons, William H. Pharr, Robert S. Pharr, and J. Victor Pharr; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. Pharr retired from the U.S. Postal Service as a station superintendent after over 30 years of service, and then went to work for his brother at R.B. Pharr and Associates until 1980. He was elected an elder at Sardis A.R.P. Presbyterian Church in 1937 and served several terms as clerk of the session at Sardis Presbyterian Church, where he taught Sunday school for 20 years and served as superintendent of the church school. He also served as the first commissioner to the general assembly in 1952 and was the first Boy Scout leader at Sardis. Pharr was a member of and secretary for the Knights of Pythias for over 20 years. Always active in the community, Pharr delivered friendship trays for nearly 25 years, worked as an unpaid volunteer for the United Way, and delighted in traveling to schools around the area to deliver awards to outstanding students.
James L. Anderson, Jr. '40, 90, of Greenville, S.C., died June 10. Born in Greenville on Sept. 2, 1919, he was the son of the late James Leland Anderson 1903 and Alline Matheson Anderson. Anderson received his B.S. degree from Davidson and his M.D. degree from Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Ga. He fulfilled an internship and a residency in internal medicine at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta and a senior residency in internal medicine at Macon Hospital in Macon, Ga. During WWII, he served as a medical officer in the U.S. Army and returned to Greenville in 1948 to join his father in the practice of medicine. He continued in the practice of medicine with his son until his retirement in 1994. He was a member of the American Medical Association, the South Carolina Medical Association, and the Greenville County Medical Association. He served his church, both First Presbyterian Church of Greenville and Westminster Presbyterian Church of Greenville, as deacon and Bible teacher. Also, he served his community through civic and community organizations. Surviving are his wife, Virginia Anderson, 42 Round Pond Rd., Greenville, SC 29607-3717; three sons, J. L. Anderson III '69, Michael M. Anderson, and Steven B. Anderson; three grandchildren, John L. Anderson, Laura M. Anderson, and Julie Anderson Pittman; and one great-grandchild, Noah L. Anderson.
Frank Simmons, Jr. '40 died June 5 at his residence in Corinth, Miss. He was born Feb. 7, 1919, in Mobile, Ala., the only child of Frank Simmons, Sr. and Alice Donavan Simmons. He completed his B.S. in economics at Davidson and his master's in economics at the University of Virginia in 1941. He was a lifelong Presbyterian. Simmons was employed by the Newport News Shipbuilding Co. as an instructor of economics in 1941 and served as managing editor of the company's magazine, The Shipyard Bulletin. Joining the U.S. Navy in 1944 as ensign in the supply corps, he trained at Harvard Business School before serving in the Pacific Theatre of WWII. He served the City of Corinth as a member of the Corinth School Board of Trustees for 18 years, a city alderman for 11 years, president of the City Cemetery Association for 30 years, and two terms as a director of the Corinth Chamber of Commerce. He was a charter member of the Mississippi Economic Council serving two terms as a director on the state board, and served as a colonel under two governors, J.P. Coleman and John Bell Williams. Along with Mrs. Fayette C. Williams and O.T. Holder, Jr., Simmons cofounded the Jacinto Foundation for the preservation and restoration of the Jacinto Courthouse and was the last surviving member of the original founders. He was a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. An astute businessman and entrepreneur, he managed rental properties, and for many years operated the Pickwick, the Coliseum, and the Skylark Drive-In Theatres. He opened the first coin-operated laundromat, U-Wash-It, in Corinth in 1958, and the town's first franchised restaurant, Loeb's Bar-B-Que, in 1965. His lifetime interests included swimming, world history, English literature, and the game of tennis, which he played until the age of 85. He was preceded in death by his wife of 65 years, Shirley Liddon McCullar Simmons. Survivors include his three sons, Rodney F. Simmons, Alan M. Simmons (Janet), and Steven L. Simmons (Monica), 810 Jackson St., FL OH, Corinth, MS 38834-4718; seven grandchildren, Sheperd and Tera Simmons, Shelly and Les Archie, Salem Peterson, Shannon Simmons and Michael Burns, Sean and Lindsay Simmons, and Alana Simmons and Catherine Simmons; and nine great-grandchildren.
Russell B. Edmondson '41, 90, of Rocky Mount, N.C., died April 2. He was born June 20, 1919.
Lantham E. Latta '41, of Hillsborough, N.C., a Christian, died unexpectedly at his home on May 3. He was the son of the late Harold and Pansy Latta. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Eloise Womble Latta, 400 Governor Burke Rd., Hillsborough, NC 27278; their five children, Paul Latta (Janice), Mark Latta (Shari), Frank Latta (Cynthia), Joan Chambers (Bobby), and Lois Everett (Don); 12 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. He is also survived by one brother, Harold Latta, Jr., and two sisters, Wilma Blalock and Maurine Smith. He was a WWII veteran.
Henry Graybill Bedinger, Jr. '42, 89, of Columbia, S.C., died July 21 at his residence after a long bout with cancer. A U.S. Army veteran of WWII, he was twice wounded while serving with the 34th Infantry Division during its campaign in Italy, for which he was awarded the Purple Heart with oak leaf cluster in addition to the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Mediterranean Service Ribbon with four Battle Stars, the Bronze Star, and Victory Badge. He was a member and elder of Shandon Presbyterian Church, a former moderator of the Congaree Presbytery, P.C. U.S., and twice served as commissioner of the general assembly of the Presbyterian Church, U.S. After graduating from Presbyterian College with a bachelor of science degree in business administration, he was a sales representative and manager for U.S. Plywood/Champion International Building Supply companies from which he retired after 32 years of service in the Carolinas. For 27 years, he was a member of Columbia Civitans, and for 21 years was a volunteer distributor for the Meals on Wheels program. He is survived by his wife of 17 years, Harriett "Booty" Weinberg Bedinger, 1001 Wildewood Downs Cir., Unit B103, Columbia, SC 29223-4438; his daughter, Sally Gee (Beau); son, David H. Bedinger (Debbie); sister, Lilian (Mrs. Arnold G.) Taylor; seven grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and eight nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Henry 1911 and Alice Bedinger, Sr.; his brother, Tucker Graham Bedinger; and a stepdaughter, Judy Weinberg Thompson.
Newton L. Edwards, Jr. '42, 90, died on April 9 at his son's home in Gainesville, Fla. He was the son of Newton L. Edwards, Sr. and Corinne Arrowsmith Edwards. He was a fifth-generation Floridian and the great-grandson of Jesse Willis, founder of Williston. He was born in St. Cloud and raised in Lake Wales, where he was an Eagle Scout and worked for his father to pay for rides with traveling barnstormers. At an early age he fell in love with flying and with his wife of 68 years, Mary Ellen Yarnell, also of Lake Wales. He attended Davidson on a football scholarship and was a naval aviator during WWII, mapping Iceland and Central America, and a flight instructor for most naval aircraft, including his favorite, the Martin B-26 Marauder. He also photographed Eleanor Roosevelt while she was visiting the Dutch Antilles, and his photos are now archived in the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum in Hyde Park, N.Y. After the war he was a captain and flight instructor for Eastern Air Lines for 33 years. He also owned the Field Shops, a tailoring shop catering to airline uniforms, where the motto was "See Newt for a Suit." With a small band of dedicated men, he helped build Blessed Trinity Church in Miami Springs. In 1975 he and his copilot received the Department of Transportation's Distinguished Service Award from astronaut and then Eastern Air Lines president, Frank Borman, after they prevented a hijacking to Cuba. Throughout his life he played competitive tennis and was an avid fisherman and sailor. After his retirement he hiked the John Muir Trail in the High Sierras, flew charter flights to Cuba for sports fishermen, and worked on an oceanographic vessel that sailed to Egypt, Kenya, and the Seychelles. He belonged to the Sons of the American Revolution and coordinated food drives and distribution for the St. Vincent de Paul Society. Edwards instilled a sense of adventure and love of travel in his children and grandchildren, but no matter how far he traveled, he called Lake Wales home. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Evelyn Edwards Fleckenstein and Annette Edwards Aldrich. His wife, Mary Ellen, passed away one month prior to his death. He is survived by his five children, Larry Edwards (Cathy), Jane Edwards (Chris Beckmann), M. Corinne Edwards, Anne Edwards, and Jo Ellen Morgan Phillips, 372 De Leon Dr., Miami Springs, FL 33166-5904; and seven grandchildren, Marcus Morgan, Jessica Morgan, Dan Edwards, Caitlin Edwards, Matt Edwards, Corinne Edwards, and Mae Beckmann.
Robert "Bob" Jackson Powell Jr. '42, of Washington, N.C., was born in Whiteville, N.C., on Jan. 14, 1921, and died Sept. 9. Powell was preceded in death by his parents, Robert J. and Elizabeth Toon Powell, and a sister, Elizabeth Powell Moore. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Catherine Gant Powell, 122 Fairway Dr., Washington, NC 27889; sons, Robert J. Powell III '69 (Clarine), Roger Powell '71 (Anne), and Ronald Powell '76 (Amy); daughter, Catherine Powell; 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandsons. He attended Davidson and UNC Chapel Hill, enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps, and joined the 1st Marine Division in the Pacific. He served as the commander of the recon company for the 1st Marine Division, where he saw action at New Britain, Peleliu, and Okinawa, and the occupational forces in China. He earned the U.S. Navy Commendation with the Valor device, the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. In Fayetteville, he was an active member of Holy Trinity Church and held leadership positions in the Diocese of East Carolina. In Washington, he was a member of First Presbyterian Church and served as an elder there. He was a forceful and active man and avid sportsman. He was a member of the North State Game Club, and he raced his sailboats from Long Island to Bermuda to Wilmington to Nassau. He was known for his exceptional and active mental capacity, spending recent years in research and writing. He was interested in and actively supported Barium Springs Home for Children and the Boys and Girls Club of Beaufort County.
Wallace M. Gamble '43, formerly of Davidson, N.C., died Aug. 29 at the home of his nephew, Bill Gamble. He was born Jan. 29, 1922 in Davidson, a son of the late Joseph G. and Connie Williamson Gamble. He was a graduate of Davidson, and he retired as an administrative supervisor at the Mooresville plant of Burlington Industries. During WWII, he served as a Navy lieutenant (J.G.) in Europe and Asia. He was a lifelong member of Davidson College Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and elder. Gamble had over 50 years of membership in North Mecklenburg Post 86, which gave Lake Norman YMCA its first home and gave Legion Park to Cornelius. For the Davidson Lions Club, he was treasurer for many years and president for two terms. Gamble was a past district governor for Lions District 31-C and was a Jack Stickley and Melvin Jones Fellow. He loved to garden and to share his flowers and vegetables. Gamble was one of the founders and contributors in starting The Pines at Davidson and provided the location for the new St. Albans's Episcopal Church. In his mother's honor, he established a book fund in her name at Davidson College, as she had been a schoolteacher. Surviving are his brother, Joseph G. Gamble '38, 11602 Savannah Dr., Fredericksburg, VA 22407-9105; sister-in-law, Sue M. Gamble; nephew, Bill Gamble; and five nieces, Connie Koch, Cecelia Grosse Ray, Nancy Grosse Kelley, Mary Grosse Snizer, and Elizabeth Gamble Bryant. He was preceded in death by sisters, Laura M. Gamble, Mary E. Gamble, and Hilda G. Grosse (late husband, William Maurice Grosse, Jr. '43), and brother, Wayne W. Gamble '48. Memorials may be made to Connie Williamson Gamble Library Fund at Davidson College Library, Box 7200, Davidson, NC 28035-7200.
Langley Preston Land '43, 87, of Virginia Beach, Va., passed away July 23 in Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital. Land was born Aug. 14, 1922, in Virginia Beach, and was the son of the late Langley and Marie Land. After a short illness, he joins his wife, Beverly Neal Land, in heaven. Land was a graduate of Davidson, served in the Merchant Marines, and was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Virginia Beach. He was an embellished storyteller and an avid golfer. He loved to be outdoors in the sun, and was well-known for his beach rental services at the Cavalier Hotel and the Capes Beach Club. Survivors include his two daughters, Neale Ford (John), 2944 Couples Ct., Virginia Beach, VA 23456-7230, and Heather Alexander (Ian Morris); four grandchildren, Rogers and Caroline Ford and Grayson and Landon Alexander; one brother, Richard Bernstrom; and a sister, Jeanne Crockett. Besides his wife, he was also preceded in death by son, Beverly Preston Land; a sister, Preston Coleman; and a son-in-law, Michael Alexander.
John Alexander Lusk III '43, of Greensboro, N.C., died peacefully on June 9 surrounded by his family. He was 87 years young and lived a very full and giving life. Lusk was born April 9, 1923, in Gadsden, Ala., the elder son of John Alexander Lusk, Jr. and Sarah Bellenger Lusk. He entered Davidson as a member of the Class of 1944. He accelerated his studies in order to graduate early and serve his country in WWII. He earned degrees in chemistry and mathematics from Davidson in 1943. Within days of graduation, he joined the U.S. Army. He was assigned to Italy and participated in the invasion of southern France. After sustaining wounds that prevented him from returning to combat, he joined the Military Police Battalion in France. For his service he received the Combat Infantry Badge, as well as the Purple Heart. After returning to the U.S. in the summer of 1946, Lusk earned his M.D. degree from the Medical College of Alabama in Birmingham in 1951. In 1958 he met his future wife, Barbara Angele, who was finishing her postgraduate degree in medical technology. Lusk moved to Greensboro in 1958, opening an internal medicine practice with his brother, Walter. As he completed his hematology fellowship, the new specialty of oncology was added to his training. He introduced these specialties to the Greensboro medical community. Soon after his practice was set up, he became a clinical associate with Dr. Wayne Rundles, chief of hematology and oncology at Duke University. He earned his fellowship in the American College of Physicians in 1972. He served as chairman of the pharmacy committee at Moses H. Cone Hospital for 25 years, at which time he was elected chief of medicine at Cone Hospital, serving until 1992. He spent the first 36 years of his career serving Greensboro as a hematologist/oncologist and was one of the first physicians to recognize the need for hospice (end-of-life) care. He went on to become a founding board member of Hospice and Palliative Care of Greensboro and was the first physician in the community to make a patient referral to Hospice. Lusk retired for two weeks in 1993. For the next 17 years, he served with HPCG as the first medical director and then as medical director emeritus. In 1998 he became certified as one of the first Hospice and Palliative Medicine specialists in North Carolina. At the time of his death, he and Barbara co-chaired the 2010 HPCG Annual Campaign. Lusk was very proactive in medicine, which was recognized by numerous honors, awards, and leadership roles on local, state, and national levels. A few of Lusk's honors include the Sword of Hope from the American Cancer Society (ACS), the St. George's Medal from the ACS, Physician Laureate award from the N.C. chapter of the American College of Physicians, and the Spirit of Hospice Award from HPCG. He was also was on the cutting edge of medicine, as well as technology, helping to establish a computer system at Moses H. Cone Hospital. When praise was given of his determination and dedication, his reply would be: "That's just what you do. Give your best." He was always quick to note that Greensboro has given him many opportunities and that it was natural to give back to the community. Lusk is survived by his wife of 50 years, Barbara Angele Lusk, 3113 Northampton Dr., Greensboro, NC 27408-5220; their two children, John Alexander Lusk IV '83 and Elizabeth Lee Lusk '85; his brother, Walter Coles Lusk II (Nancy McKelvey Lusk); two grandchildren, Conrad and Albert Lusk; and many loved family members and close friends. Memorials may be made to the Lusk Family Scholarship at Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035.
Henry Baxter Roney, Jr. '43, 86, of Mebane, N.C., and formerly of New York City, died Aug. 25. A native of Alamance County, he was the son of Henry Baxter Roney, Sr. and Carrie Anderson Roney, both deceased. Roney was preceded in death by his brother, James A. Roney, Sr., and two sisters, Nancy Roney Covington and Caroline Edith Roney. He is survived by one niece, Carolyn Roney Turner (Leonard); one nephew, James A. Roney, Jr. (Carolyn), 2334 Barnett Rd, Mebane, NC 27302; two grand-nieces, Carrie and Jennifer; two grand-nephews, George and Jeff; two great-nieces, Sarah and Emily; and four great-nephews, Mark, Matthew, Lee, and James. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Davidson, where he held student assistantships in Bible, English, and psychology, he earned a degree in history and psychology. He held graduate degrees and professional diplomas from Columbia University and the University of the State of New York in history, English, and educational administration. In a career in education spanning 44 years, he held the following positions: professor of history and director of admissions of Darlington School for Boys, Rome, Ga.; headmaster of St. Thomas Church Choir School, New York City; headmaster of Presbyterian Day School, Memphis, Tenn.; professor of history at Scarsdale Senior High School, Scarsdale, N.Y.; and educational consultant for New York Public Schools. He received national recognition for his leadership in teacher training and evaluation, and he was honored for volunteer work in English-as-a-second-language programs in both New York and North Carolina. He was a member of the American Historical Association, the National Association of School Administrators, the American Academy of Philosophy, the Metropolitan Opera Guild, and numerous societies for the arts, history, and literature. He was a U.S. Army veteran from WWII. Although an Episcopalian by faith, in his retirement years in North Carolina, he attended Cross Roads Presbyterian Church in Mebane, where he taught the covenant class and chaired the witness and service committee. He recently retired from teaching Sunday school after faithfully serving 71 years. Memorials may be made to Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035.
Homer Ashley Spencer '43, 89, of Lakeland, Fla., a Presbyterian missionary and minister, passed away after a stroke on April 18. He was born in Spartanburg, S.C., on Dec. 6, 1921. After receiving degrees from Davidson and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va., he and his first wife, Patricia Patterson, were commissioned as missionaries to Mexico. He served as hospital chaplain at Sanatorio la Luz in Morelia for 16 years. Patricia died and Spencer returned to the U.S. with his two children, Harriet and Homer, Jr. In 1971, he married Barbara Sue Nichols. He served Presbyterian pastorates in Virginia, North Carolina, and Florida, his latest one in Lehigh Acres. Anticipating retirement, he and his wife signed up as volunteers in Mission (Presbyterian VIMs) and were assigned in border ministries along the Mexican border. They helped start Project Amistad during their two-year term. Upon retirement, he was described as "a warm and kind person, always diligent in his work for the Kingdom-a very loyal presbyter-emanating happiness." His work for the Kingdom included playing a part in getting a public water system for Milford, Va.; getting brown lung established as a distinct disease so that those afflicted could get compensation; under Habitat for Humanity, teaching household finance in Immokalee; and managing the art group at the Presbyterian Homes. He and Sue have lived at the Presbyterian Homes for 19 years. Spencer is survived by his wife, Sue Spencer, 519 Cresap St., Lakeland, FL 33815-4709; daughter, Harriet Brown (Robert); son, Homer Spencer, Jr.; granddaughters, Abigail Brown and Sarah Dayton (Charles); and grandson, Andrew Brown.
Jamie Douglas Stimson '44, 87, of Statesville, N.C., died May 4 at Gordon Hospice House. Stimson was born Sept. 21, 1922, in Atlanta, Ga. He was the son of the late Robert M. 1908 and Helen Easley Stimson. He grew up in Chattanooga, Tenn., where his father was pastor of Second Presbyterian Church. He is a graduate of Davidson and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. He was preceded in death by his wife of 54 years, Nellie Gray Sides Stimson. A minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) until his retirement in 1983, Stimson served congregations in Hickory, N.C.; Fort Mill and Iva, S.C.; Washington, D.C.; Charlotte Court House, Drakes Branch, and Richmond, Va.; and Knoxville and Roan Mountain, Tenn. He is survived by two daughters, Eva Stimson (Jerry L. Van Marter), 2220 Woodbourne Ave., Louisville, KY 40205-2106, and Anne Wolf (Eric); two sons, David Stimson and Timothy Stimson (Marianne); five grandchildren, Sarah and Natalie Wolf, Rachel and Luke Van Marter, and Daniel Stimson; one sister, Harriet Davis; and two brothers, Thomas F. Stimson '43 and Bailey E. Stimson.
James Edwin Wood III '46, 85, a physician who served as chairman of the department of medicine at Pennsylvania Hospital and professor of medicine on the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine for 21 years, died Aug. 15 of cancer at Beaumont, a retirement community in Bryn Mawr, Pa. Wood, a Virginian and the epitome of a Southern gentleman, spent over 50 years of his medical career in Boston and Philadelphia. Wood received many honors for his distinguished career in cardiovascular research and academic medicine. He served as a faculty member at Boston University School of Medicine, the Medical College of Georgia, the University of Virginia School of Medicine, and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He held numerous professional, academic, and editorial positions at the state, regional, and national levels. He was a fellow in the American College of Physicians and was widely known for his publications, which numbered near 50. He was president of the Federation for Clinical Research-Southern Section, and president of the American Clinical and Climatological Association, serving 10 years as secretary-treasurer and 21 years on the board of the association. He served on the board of directors of the American Heart Association from 1968-69, was president of the American Heart Association's Health Promotion Council of Southeastern Pennsylvania for six years, and president of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter. Wood was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha in 1967. He was presented an award as the Outstanding Medical Alumnus of the year at the annual meeting of the University of Virginia Alumni in 1990. Wood grew up in Charlottesville, Va., where his father, a cardiologist, was a professor of medicine at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He played saxophone in the Davidson College band. In the summer he was age 14, he worked as clean-up man in the physiology research lab of the School of Medicine at the University of Virginia. It was during this time under the guidance and friendship of the famous physiologist, Dr. Eugene Landis, the start of his interest in medical research began. After high school, he spent a year at Davidson, then entered the Navy's V12 program, which assigned him to Duke University for his pre-medical training and then to the University of Virginia School of Medicine for the first two years of medical school. After being discharged from the Navy, he transferred from the University of Virginia School of Medicine to Harvard Medical School, from which he earned his medical degree in 1949. He stayed in Boston for his resident training and fellowships at Boston University School of Medicine. He became chief resident and later a special research fellow for U.S. Public Health Service. During the Korean War he was captain and flight surgeon at the U.S. Air Force School of Medicine at Randolph Field, Tex. He worked on aircraft oxygen systems, high altitude survival, and other classified top secret research, receiving the Air Force Commendation Ribbon for meritorious service. He presented his work to General Curtis Lemay, USAF chief of staff, Strategic Air Command in WWII. His wife, Ann Jones Wood, said he considered his research at Randolph Field his greatest achievement. In 1951 he took part in experiencing from an aircraft 10 atomic explosions and testing the effects on the eyes of the men who watched. In 1958, he joined the faculty at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta as director of the Georgia Heart Association Laboratories for Cardiovascular Research. While in Augusta he published many papers on vascular disease and wrote a book, The Veinsâ, published in1965. After six years in Augusta, he was offered and accepted a professorship in medicine and the Virginia Heart Association Research Professor of Cardiovascular Research, and the opportunity to go home to Charlottesville. While at Virginia he coauthored a paper on high altitude pulmonary edema with S. R. Roy, physician to Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. This research involved living with the Indian army in the high altitudes of the Himalayas at the Indian army base at Leh. Prime Minister Gandhi had to give her consent for an American to go to this sensitive Indian army base on the border of China. During his five years at Virginia he also served one year as acting chairman of the department of physiology, was appointed associate dean of medicine, and then was acting dean for a brief period. Knowing that Virginia would be looking for a full-time dean, he chose instead to accept an offer by the University of Pennsylvania to take a professorship in medicine and become the chairman of medicine at the Pennsylvania Hospital, positions he held for 21 years. Under the direction of Wood, the medical residency program from 1969-90 greatly increased in size, drawing doctors from well-known medical schools, many of whom continue to practice there today. In the tradition of the hospital's motto "Take care of him and I will repay thee," Wood established the J. Edwin Wood Clinic, an independent, nonprofit, full service medical and surgical facility that provides quality health care to adults without regard to their ability to pay. In 1990, he retired from Pennsylvania Hospital and from the Medical School of Pennsylvania as emeritus professor. He then worked for Correctional Healthcare Solutions, Inc. until he retired in 1996. He and his wife met in high school and were married in 1948. He was interested in all sports, but his love was sailing, especially sailing on the Chesapeake Bay. Later in life he took up running and completed five marathons. At age 54, he ran the Boston Marathon in four hours and 15 minutes, and then nine years later completed running it again. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Ann Sherwood Jones Wood, 74 Pasture Ln., Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-1775; two sons, Edwin Duncan Wood and James Barker Wood; two daughters, Emily Battle Wood Starkey and Ann Jones Wood Gregg; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Joseph Glenn Abernethy '47, 84, of Charlotte, N.C., died peacefully at his home on July 31. He was born in Alexis, N.C., on Jan. 15, 1926, the son of Joseph Arlington and Evelyn Lewis Abernethy. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife of 34 years, Margaret Shamburg Abernethy. He never remarried. Abernethy attended Davidson before enlisting in the U.S. Navy to serve his country during WWII. He was a lifelong member of Sugaw Creek Presbyterian Church, where he served tirelessly as an elder, deacon, and chairman of the board of deacons. He was co-owner of Abernethy Lumber Company, the family business founded by his grandfather. With an attention to detail and exactness, Abernethy was a skilled craftsmen in all aspects of woodworking. He lovingly built the homes in which he and his wife "Mag" raised their four children. He was devoted to his family and enjoyed cooking, fishing, watching NASCAR racing on TV, and spending time with his faithful dog, Dinky. Surviving Abernethy are his daughters, Glenda Abernethy, 840 Mineral Springs Rd., Charlotte, NC 28262-4906, Christy Nixon (Reggie), and Lisa Poole (Bob); son, Joseph Glenn Abernethy, Jr. (Patti); brothers, Hal Abernethy and Tony Abernethy; sisters, Arline Greene, Fran Privette, and Kay Wiggins; and grandchildren, Joseph Glenn Abernethy III, Patrick Harrison Abernethy, Kenneth Christian Abernethy, Dylan Fitzgerald Abernethy, Kenton Gardner Nixon, Margaret Courtenay Nixon, Holden Emerson Poole, and Margaret Reilly Poole.
Daniel S. Marshall '47, 84, died July 29 at his residence in Arden, N.C. Marshall was born on March 31, 1926, in Charlotte, N.C., to Hunter and Julia Adelaide Marshall. He received a bachelor of science degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1949. Returning to Charlotte, he married Joan Cansler in 1950 and held several jobs in the fields of business and finance, eventually becoming the business manager and treasurer at the Presbyterian School of Christian Education (PSCE) in Richmond, Va. However, Marshall came to realize that his true interest was in teaching and guiding young people, and he returned to school to earn a master's in education from the University of Richmond in 1965. He spent the remainder of his career teaching math and psychology on the high school level and working as a counselor. After a number of years at John Marshall High School in Richmond, he went on to teach at Woodberry Forest School, also in Virginia, and A.C. Reynolds High School in Asheville, N.C., before retiring in 1986. He was a member of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honor society in education. Although his influence on hundreds of students over the years was incalculable, Marshall's teaching career was just one of the ways in which he affected the lives of those around him. His combination of a gentle nature with a fierce passion for justice could be seen early on during his years at PSCE, when he insisted that the women on the school's faculty receive salaries and benefits equal to those of the men. He was always engaged in the issues of the day through his writing, speaking, and activism, whether the cause was civil rights, the environment, or opposition to war. More recently Marshall, along with his wife Joan, became active in the struggle for equal rights and dignity for gay men and lesbians and people with AIDS, through their leadership in organizations such as CLOSER and P-FLAG. He was always active in church work-again, with a special emphasis on working with young people-whether as a Presbyterian, a Quaker, or most recently, as a member of the Episcopal Cathedral of All Souls in Asheville. Marshall had a lifelong enthusiasm for music and the beauty of the outdoors. He enjoyed playing the piano and organ from an early age, and occasionally played for weddings and funerals. He spent much of his summers, both as a child and an adult, in the North Carolina mountains, and thus considered it a kind of "homecoming" when he moved to Montreat with his family full-time in 1972. He enjoyed exploring the mountains in one of several beloved Jeeps that he owned over the years. He believed in engaging in life in a positive manner, and was convinced that difficulties were best met with a sense of humor and plenty of chocolate. Marshall was preceded in death by his wife, Joan; his son, Scott; and his brothers, Hunter, Charles '41, and Doug. He is survived by his daughter, Susan Bezubek (Felix), 116 Swiss Stone Ct., Cary, NC 27513-4753; his daughter, Carolyn Brodersen (Edward); his son, David Marshall (Sarah); his daughter, Kate Marshall; and a number of nieces and nephews. He is also survived by a large number of friends and former students who will remember and value how he lived his life governed by his motto of "love, laughter, and learning."
William L. McCleney '47, of Willow Springs, Mo., passed away Oct. 25, 2009. He was born April 24, 1926.
Jones Ed Hudson '48, 82, died on April 11 at his home surrounded by his loving family. Born Oct. 3, 1926, in Connelly Springs, N.C., he was the son of the late Jones Ednie Hudson and Cesarine Ribet Hudson. Hudson grew up in a close-knit, extended family, and he loved to tell stories of his childhood and of his family roots. A graduate of Davidson, Hudson enrolled at the young age of 15, and completed two years there before beginning his military service in the Navy. He graduated from Yeoman School in April 1945, and reported on board the USS Cabot (CVL-28) at San Francisco in May 1945. The Cabot was a fast carrier that had compiled an excellent war record in the Pacific during 1944 and early 1945. For his WWII service, Hudson received the following medals: American Campaign Service Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, Navy Occupation Service Medal with "Asia" clasp, and the WWII Victory Medal. Hudson received a B.S. degree in psychology from Davidson in May 1948. He married Betty Sue Newton of Hickory, N.C., on May 30, 1948. He returned to work in his father's general merchandise store, J.E. Hudson Company. After J. Ednie, Sr. died, Hudson and his brother, Lindy, opened a branch furniture store in downtown Hickory. Hudson owned and operated the J.E. Hudson Furniture store until his retirement. An avid student of navel history, Hudson wrote The History of the USS Cabot (CVL-28): A Fast Carrier in World War II in 1986, which you can find in libraries and homes across the country. Hudson, along with other family members, created historical family albums for the Hudsons and the Ribets. His personal interests included golf, bowling, bird watching, photography, butterflies, insects, and watching his beloved Boston Red Sox and Tiger Woods. He spirited many lively discussions about politics, religion, history, and current events with his family. Along with his parents, he was preceded in death by an infant brother. He is survived by his wife, Betty Hudson, 815C Wynnshire Dr., Hickory, NC 28601; their three children, Cesanne Hudson Berry (Chris Berry), Edney Hudson (Karen Bumgarner Hudson), and Grace Hudson Shuford (Hunt Shuford); his brother, Lindy Hudson; and six grandchildren, Paige and Lauren Berry, Eliza, Sayer, and Colon Hudson, and Jones Barton. He was an extremely proud father and grandfather and counted his children as his greatest achievement!
Raymond Jay Thabet '49, of Tampa, Fla., passed away March 19, 2005.
James Thomas West '49, 84, of St. Petersburg, Fla., passed away March 13 peacefully in his home. Preceded in death by parents, James Alexander and Helen Venable Bridges West, and sisters, Ann McGill West Garrett and Isabel Blair West Graham. Survived by sons, James Frazier West and Mark Thomas West (Andrea); daughters, Julia Kathryn West, 1470 Serpentine Dr. S., St. Petersburg, FL 33705-6148, and Wendi Elizabeth West; granddaughter, Julia Nichole Bower; and grandson, Nathan Thomas West; nieces and nephews; friend and former wife, Shirley "Ann" Frazier West; and many friends and colleagues. West served in the Army Air Corps during WWII. A graduate of Davidson with a B.S. in psychology, he earned an M.A. in psychology at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and a Ph.D. in clinical psychology at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. West was director of mental health education for the State of Tennessee and served as adjunct professor for both Vanderbilt University and the University of Tennessee. He was a founding faculty member of Eckerd College, formerly Florida Presbyterian College, and he served as its first director of admissions. He drove from town to town, knocking on doors and meeting with potential students to tell them about this "daring, different, and innovative" new college. He served as dean of men, director of counseling, and professor of psychology. He, along with his colleague and friend, Sarah K. Dean, designed, developed, and implemented the human development program. Upon retiring, he became director of the Program for Experienced Learners (PEL) at the college. At the 2009 Eckerd College commencement, West, a true visionary and humanitarian, was awarded an honorary doctorate and lauded for his 50 years of service to the college. He received several awards, including the Robert A. Staub Distinguished Teacher Award, during his tenure there. He trained under Ida P. Rolf, who developed a system of body structure organization called Rolfing Structural Integration, and was a certified advanced Rolfer in private practice for 37 years. Thousands have benefited from his intuitive work connecting body and mind. Known for being on the cutting edge for new ideas about psychological and alternative health, his influence is inestimable. He was an avid tennis player and had been a tennis coach in early years of his career. He was also a passionate supporter and activist for the Tibetan cause and traveled to Tibet, Nepal, and India to offer his solidarity.
William Henderson Harris '50 passed away on July 16 with his family at his side. Harris was born Aug. 16, 1925, in Rocky Mount, N.C., but has been a resident of Mobile, Ala., since retiring in 1989 from the Chicago area. As a teenager he joined the Navy and served on a PT boat in the South Pacific during WWII. Upon his return, he attended Davidson, where he took ROTC and became an officer in the Army and served in Korea. After returning from Korea, he worked at Sears Headquarters in Chicago for 20 years and then worked as a realtor/broker in the Chicago suburbs until his retirement. He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather and was respected by all who knew him. Harris was a member of Spring Hill Presbyterian Church, where he had many friends, served as an elder, and was active in committee work, Sunday school, and many other aspects of church life. He was preceded in death by his parents, Walter and Lula Harris, and also a sister, Jean Harris Andrews. He is survived by his beloved wife of 63 years, Marcy Harris, 517 Highland Cir. E., Mobile, AL 36608; a son, William H. Harris, Jr. '63; a daughter, Dianne Harris Oveson (Gerald); a granddaughter, Jennifer Oveson; and a sister, Marguerite Harris Wood.
Frank Arthur Hooper III '50, died on Aug. 27 at the Brian Center, Hickory, N.C. He was born April 17, 1927, in Atlanta, Ga., son of the late Frank Hooper, Jr. and Carolyn Newton Hooper. Hooper was a Navy veteran of WWII and a graduate of Davidson, Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Ky., and Furman University in Greenville, S.C. He served as a pastor and missionary to Israel 1956-68. He was also a science teacher and a drug abuse counselor. Most important, he was a loving husband, father, and grandfather. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a brother, Ellis Hooper. Survivors include his wife, Marjorie Foster Hooper, 3032 5th St. Pl., NW, Hickory, NC 28601; his son, Frank Hooper IV; his daughters, Elizabeth Coffey (Steve Coffey '78), Carolyn Bullen (Gary), Martha Glenn (Robert), and Laura Jaynes (David); and a brother, Charles Hooper '55. His grandchildren are Rachel, Katherine, Robert, and David Glenn; Sarah '09, Ruthanne, and Carolyn Coffey; Nathan and Erin Bullen; Elisha Bullen Scales; and Ethan Jaynes.
Hershey James "Jim" Longenecker '50, 82, born on Jan. 19, 1928, in Belgian Congo to the late J. Hershey and Minnie H. Longenecker, passed away on July 17 at residence in Charlotte, N.C. Growing up as the son of missionaries, Longenecker, also known as "Chick," graduated from Davidson with a B.A. in philosophy in 1950. Called of God to become a minister, he attended Columbia Theological Seminary. After an internship in Tifton, Ga., he graduated in 1955 with an M.Div. Longenecker appreciated a note his father had written three years before his birth, showing how they had planned what to name him, and prayed "that the Lord may guide us as to his future in every way, and that he may be the Lord's very own from the beginning." And so, Longenecker became a Presbyterian minister. His first pastorate was 1954-57 in a three-church field in North Carolina, and he served pastorates in South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and West Virginia. Retirement in 1994 took him back to Pulaski, Va., where he served as supply pastor until 2000. His ministry involved not only preaching, youth work, performing weddings and funerals, and administrative matters, but much hospital, sick, and member visitation, increasingly with his wife. He was active in each presbytery. He is remembered for his dry wit, godly character, concern for the souls and burdens of others, and love for family. He is survived by his dearly loved wife of 52 years, MaryGene Manning Longenecker ("If I had to do it all over again, I'd keep the wife the same!"), 5100 Sharon Rd., Apt. 316, Charlotte, NC 28210-4774; his older daughter, Susan L. Dawson (Mark); his younger daughter, Ruth L. Deligdisch (Glen); grandchildren, John and David Dawson and Amy and Peter Deligdisch; his sister, Dorothy Hopper [husband, the late Joseph Barron Hopper '42]; and many nieces, nephews, and cousins. He was preceded in death by his sister, Alice Longenecker Vail, and his stepmother, Ruth Engler Longenecker.
Samuel Davis McDaniel, Jr. '50 passed away peacefully with his family by his side Oct. 22, 2009, in Richmond, Va., at the age of 81. McDaniel was a lifelong resident of Atlanta, Ga., and a Buckhead native. He was preceded in death by his parents, Samuel Davis and Dororthy Bryant McDaniel, and his brother, William Bryant McDaniel. He is survived by his daughters, Catherine Hart, Marquerite Tyre (Keith), Susan Holland (Matthew), and Jennifer McDaniel; and grandchildren, Jake Hart, Cary Hart, Hannah Hart, Kate Tyre, Ansley Tyre, and Matthew Holland, Jr. McDaniel was a retired lieutenant commander from the Navy and spent 20 years in the Naval Reserve. Following the Navy, McDaniel went into the investment banking and brokerage industry. His two loves after his family were music and nature, which led him to be a member of the original Huff and Puffs singing group and a trail maintenance volunteer for the Appalachian Trail Club.
Robert Payne Richardson IV '50, 83, of Spartanburg, S.C., passed away on June 13. Born in Reidsville, N.C., on Feb. 15, 1927, he joined the Navy to serve in the Pacific Theatre toward the end of WWII. After returning, Richardson attended Davidson, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa. In 1950, he married Libba McGee of Spartanburg, who preceded him in death in 2002. They moved to Spartanburg in 1952, where he cofounded Hayes and Richardson Textiles. In 1958 Richardson joined the Aug. W. Smith Co., later becoming president. Richardson began a second career in 1981, joining the commercial real estate division of Coldwell Banker Caine. Throughout his years in Spartanburg, he served on numerous charities and boards, giving many volunteer hours for the betterment of the community. He was a deacon and active member of the First Presbyterian Church. He is survived by his four children, Ricky Richardson (Betsy); Tom Richardson (Beth), 116 Keith Rd., Newport News, VA 23606-1110; Scott Richardson (Carolyn); and Bibba McKemy (Hal); his six grandchildren; his sister, Jane Vieth; and his brother, G. Irvin Richardson '51.
Eugene P. Widenhouse '50, of Baltimore, Md., passed away April 21.
Samuel Craighead "Craig" Alexander '51, 80, of Haverford, Pa., an anesthesiologist and retired Hahnemann Medical College dean, died of a stroke June 23 at Penobscot Valley Hospital in Maine. A talented photographer, Alexander had been participating in the Maine Media Workshops in Rockport. From 1991 until he retired in 1996, Alexander was dean of affiliate affairs at Hahnemann Medical College, now Drexel University College of Medicine. Before that, he chaired the department of anesthesiology at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine for 20 years. Alexander grew up in Charlotte, N.C., and earned a bachelor's degree from Davidson. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and completed an internship at Philadelphia General Hospital, a residency in anesthesiology at Penn, and a fellowship in pharmacology at Penn. He was then a professor of anesthesiology at Penn for eight years. For a year, he did research in Copenhagen, Denmark, on cerebral blood flow. He then spent two years as director of the Winslow, Ariz., Navajo Indian Hospital. He was chairman of the department of anesthesiology at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine before going to Wisconsin. Alexander was active with the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Association of University Anesthesiologists and helped establish the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research. Since 1951, he had been married to his childhood sweetheart, Betty Pyron Alexander, 3300 Darby Rd., Apt. C904, Haverford, PA 19041-1065. The couple had a summer home in Wisconsin and traveled extensively in the United States and abroad, including trips with their grandchildren to England, Spain, South Africa, and Easter Island. Alexander was a passionate student of history, his family said, and he loved exploring new places. He was an elder and deacon at Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church. In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Samuel C. Alexander III; daughters, Christian Libson and Baine Alexander; a sister; and eight grandchildren. Memorials may be made to Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, NC 28035, for the Samuel Craighead Alexander '51 Memorial Fund.
Marshall C. Dendy, Jr. '51, of Cathedral City, Calif., died April 25 at the Desert Regional Hospital in Palm Springs, Calif. He was born Aug. 9, 1929. He is survived by his wife, Sandra A. Dendy, 31700 Landau Blvd., Apt. C23, Cathedral City, CA 92234-5122; son, David Wilkes Dendy '85 (Julie Keller Dendy); and daughter, Mary Jo Dendy '93.
D. Buren High '51, 80, of Whiteville, N.C., passed away June 13 at Columbus Regional Healthcare. He was born Dec.3, 1929, at Gray's Creek, to David Van High and Ruby Bramble High. He traveled widely for both work and pleasure, but returned to his boyhood home at Welch's Creek to enjoy his later years. He attended Davidson, but was extensively self-educated, challenging himself with new knowledge and skills throughout his life. He taught school at Williams Township and served in the U.S. Air Force in Japan, where he learned electronics and radar systems. Upon his return from Japan, he began a career with International Business Machines. His work took him to Cocoa Beach, Fla.; Puerto Rico; Washington, D.C.; Poughkeepsie and Hartsdale, N.Y.; and finally to Durham, N.C. In Durham he met Avis Hernwall, the joy of his life. In their 29 years of marriage, they enjoyed traveling, gardening, and learning together. After retiring from their professional lives in the Triangle area, they moved to the farm at Welch's Creek, where they assisted his mother in her declining years, as well as other relatives and neighbors. He also volunteered in the community by helping low-income individuals with income tax preparation and by documenting Columbus County cemeteries. High used his problem-solving skills to improve the lives of many. He mastered woodworking, gardening, astronomy, photography, model building, and other challenging pursuits. Throughout his life, he exhibited a keen and inquisitive intellect, and was a member of Mensa. He was a supporter and defender of the natural environment, through his own practices and his philanthropy. He is survived by his wife, Avis Hernwall High, Route 2, Whiteville, NC 28472; nephews, James Forrest Riggs (Elaine) and Brett High Riggs (Pandora); and a host of relatives and friends.
Homer Allen "Al" Lanier '51, 80, died Nov. 9, 2009, in Jacksonville, Fla. He was born in Southport, N.C., son of the late Homer Roscoe and Mildred Bennett Lanier. He was retired from a major transportation company as division chief of police and the U.S. Army as field artillery major. He was a lifelong Presbyterian, having served as deacon, elder, and Sunday school teacher at South Jacksonville Presbyterian Church. Lanier was a Mason, past president of the Civitan Club of Jacksonville, and distinguished governor of Civitan International Summit District. He was a member of the Military Officers Association of America, American Legion, and Peace Officers Associations of South Carolina and Georgia. He is survived by his current wife, Janet B. Lanier, 809 Twin Lakes Rd., Rock Hill, SC 29732-9685; his three children, David Allen Lanier, Susan Lanier Cooper, and Millie Lanier Turek; eight grandchildren, Brian and Sara Cooper, Janis, Catherine, and Andrew Lanier, Lauren Laws, Kristen Baucom, and Savannah Turek; two brothers, Julian E. Lanier and Lawrence E. Lanier; and a sister, Jane Lanier Knight. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Loetia "Bunny" Holland Lanier.
James Merritt Fickeisen '52, 80, died May 6 due to complications from Parkinson's disease. Born March 11, 1930, in Weston, W.Va., Fickeisen graduated from Davidson in 1952. He served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army Counter Intelligence Corps in Korea and Japan during the Korean War. He worked in advertising in New York in the 1950s and 1960s, where he met and married his wife. He graduated from the University of Oregon with a master's degree in architecture in 1972. He is survived by Mary Merritt, 15730 SW Greens Way, Portland, OR 97224, his wife of almost 50 years; sons, Bob and John; daughter, Jenny; and eight grandchildren. He was a man after God's own heart, and he will be remembered for his wide smile, selfless humility, and incredible wit.
Marshall Prince James, Jr. '52, 80, of Maxton, N.C., died Aug. 14 at his home. Born May 5, 1930, in Hamlet, he was the only son of the late Marshall Prince James, Sr. and Mary Lois McRae James, formerly of Maxton. A graduate of Davidson and the U.S. Naval Officers Candidate School, he subsequently served as navigator of the USS Okanogan during the Korean War. While stationed in Charleston, S.C., he met Jane, his wife and faithful companion of 51 years. The two married June 20, 1959, in Centenary, S.C., and raised three daughters, Frances, Eliza, and Mary McRae. While engaged in the cotton business, farming, and real estate, James found ample time to enjoy his greatest loves of family, friends, and fellowship. A teller of tales, his keen intellect and sense of humor enriched many gatherings. James possessed an enormous recall and passion for all types of history. Other main interests included bird hunting, fishing, gardening, and fine craftsmanship. James was a lifetime member of the First Presbyterian Church of Maxton, where he served as deacon and elder. Other memberships included the Carolina Yacht Club of Charleston and the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. He was a crackerjack shot, a font of knowledge, and he was generous and faithful to his friends. He is survived by his wife, Jane Leftwich Davis James, 301 N Florence St., Maxton, NC 28364; daughters, Frances James Willis (Jim), Eliza Patterson James, and Mary McRae James Stevenson (Mike); grandchildren, Thomas Marshall Willis, Walter McBryde Willis, Hallie Covington Willis, Alexander McRae Stevenson, and Jane McRae Stevenson; sisters, Sally James Bass and Mary Lois James Hilliard; and four nephews.
Edgar Morrison Richardson '52 died June 1 at age 79, succumbing after a decade with Alzheimer's disease and cancer. Richardson took early retirement from teaching English at the University of Cincinnati (1961-87) and continued many additional years of international volunteer work through Travelers Aid International. Richardson is survived by his wife, Kathy Richardson, 2444 Madison Rd., Apt. 1209, Cincinnati, OH 45208-1277, daughters, Lisa Henske (Brad) and Julianne Wagner (Scott), and other family and friends. Born in 1931 to Presbyterian missionaries in China, Richardson lived 10 years as a minority person, and he never forgot his concern for minority groups. After graduating from Davidson, he discovered his love of teaching during military service in the '50s. Richardson earned advanced degrees from Vanderbilt University, George Peabody College, and the University of Cincinnati. Beginning his teaching in a boys' prep school in Memphis, later Richardson immersed himself in Warren Wilson College outside Ashville, N.C. He loved his years of teaching, coaching, and leading student work crews there, with students primarily from Appalachia and abroad-both minority groups he thoroughly enjoyed. After marrying Kathy in 1961, Richardson spent most of his career in University College, the open admissions arm of the University of Cincinnati. Again, he relished working with his students, many of them underprepared or the first in their families to go to college, as well as with police cadets and evening college adults. When he took early retirement from UC, he was not ready for his life of service to end. Richardson became a full-time volunteer at Travelers Aid (now part of Family Services). There he taught ESL to immigrants and refugees-again, minority groups. He also researched and compiled three editions of a widely-used international sourcebook. During his 49 years in Cincinnati, Richardson worked for racial understanding and healing and for international peace. His love for China led to his and Kathy's teaching English in Wuhan, China, in 1982 as well as to work with Liuzhou Sister Cities committee and hosting of Chinese students. He also volunteered with or served on the boards of the Human Relations Council, NCCJ, Sister Cities, World Affairs Council, and other groups concerned with justice, peace, and international affairs. His contributions were recognized in a Bell Telephone Bridges Award, a Global Citizen Award and placement on the International Wall of Fame, and an Applause Magazine Award of Distinction. Richardson also leaves five grandchildren as his legacy: Lauren and Alexander Henske and Drew, Avery, and Charlie Wagner. He is survived by three much-loved Richardson siblings and their wives: Susan, Robert (Patricia), and William '50 (Mary). He also leaves mother-in-law Eleanor Fjone, sister-in-law Gloria Darke, 14 nieces and nephews and their families, and many very dear friends and relatives.
Thomas S. Abel, Jr. '53, of Volcano, HI, passed away March 1.
Charles Leonard Geiger '54, of Gainesville, Ga., passed away peacefully at home and in the presence of his family July 14. Geiger was born in 1932 in Boaz, Ala., to William Marlin and Leah Tolbert Geiger. He spent his childhood in Gadsden, Ala.; Portland, Ore.; Atlanta, Ga.; and Panama City, Fl. He attended Davidson, graduating in the Class of 1954 with a dual major in physics and premedical studies. He was a member of the Physics Honor Society and was a tenor soloist for three years in the Davidson Male Chorus. Geiger attended Emory School of Medicine in the Class of 1958. He completed his internship in pathology and his two year residency at Emory Hospital, and spent his third year of postdoctoral pathology at Emory as a fellow of the National Cancer Institute. For the next two years he was appointed to the Emory Medical School faculty as assistant professor of pathology and served as assistant director of the laboratory at the Atlanta Veterans Administration Hospital. In 1963 he joined the U.S. Air Force Medical Service, serving as captain at Eglin Air Force Base. During this time he became a member of the American Society of Clinical Pathology as a fellow of the College of American Pathology. On leaving the Air Force, he moved with his family to Gainesville, Ga., to work with Dr. Hamil Murray. After studying at Oak Ridge, he obtained a license from the Atomic Energy Commission and opened the first radioisotope laboratory in North Georgia. During this time he remained on the Emory Medical School Faculty as professor of clinical pathology. He later moved his practice to Lanier Park Hospital in Gainesville, where he continued to work for the next 14 years until his retirement from medicine in 1991. Upon his retirement he began a long-term study of the natural world and volunteered several thousand hours as a naturalist at Elachee Nature Center. While he was still physically able, he devoted his time and study to paleontology. He often referred to these years as the most enjoyable in his life. He considered the most fortunate event in his life meeting Rebecca "Becky" Deal on a blind date in 1953. They married in 1956, and their marriage continued to grow in joy and meaning until his death. He was preceded in death by his eldest son, William Marlin Geiger '79. He is survived by his wife, Rebecca Geiger, 715 Mountain View Cir., Gainesville, GA 30501-1672; his daughter-in-law, Catherine Brooks Geiger, and grandchildren, Caitlin and Christopher; his son, Leonard Geiger, Jr., (Christina) and daughter, Ava; his daughter, Beth Geiger Bolstad '85 (Arlen) and children, Joanna, Emma, and Thomas; and his son, Ralph Geiger. Geiger was a man who lived in awe of the mysteries of the natural world and of the human heart.
Archibald "Archie" Thomas Reeves III '54, of Selma, Ala., died on May 3, 2009, of complications following cancer. He was born in Selma on June 6, 1932, to Archibald Thomas Reeves, Jr. and Martha Mallory Reeves. He attended Davidson and the University of Alabama, and earned his law degree at the University of Alabama School of Law. He practiced law in Selma at his family firm of Reeves & Stewart, where he began his career in 1956 with his father and where he was later joined by one of his sons. He was active in St. Paul's Episcopal Church and numerous community and civic organizations. He loved fishing, and he passed the joy he took in that pastime onto his children and grandchildren. His other passions were his family, his church, and his beloved city. He will always be remembered for his intellect, his wit, his enthusiasm, his distinctive voice, and his unfailing kindness. He is survived by his wife, Anne "Bebe" Smith, 102 Winthrop Ct., Selma, AL 36701. Other survivors include his brother, H. Mallory Reeves; his sister, Claude Reeves Baniakas; his cousin, Hugh Mallory; his sister-in-law, Sally Smith Carrington (David); his sons, Archie T. Reeves IV (Shannon), Allen Smith Reeves (AC), and Edgar Stewart McNeil Reeves (Amy); eight grandchildren; dozens of nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grandnephews; and other relatives.
Charles Williams '54, 78, of Burlington, N.C., died May 24 at his home. A native of Halifax County, N.C., Williams was born on July 1, 1931, to Rosa A. and Carey A. Williams, who preceded him in death. He grew up in Rocky Mount, N.C. Williams is survived by his wife, Nancy Lavender Irwin Williams, 505 Edgewood Ct., Burlington, NC 27215; his two daughters, Nancy Anne Williams (Bryan Pennington) and Mary Katherine Williams (Marc Dreyfors); his two sisters, Elise Williams Blackwell (Bill) and Ellen Williams White; and many nieces and nephews. Williams received his undergraduate degree from Davidson and his master of theology degree from Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. While a student at Davidson, he served as moderator of the N.C. Synod of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) youth group and also as moderator of the general assembly for youth groups of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). He was awarded an honorary doctor of divinity degree from King College, Bristol, Tenn., and an honorary doctorate in humane letters from Elon College (University). Williams served pastorates at Mt. Olive Presbyterian Church and Baker Memorial Church in Mt. Olive, N.C.; Westminster Presbyterian Church in Durham, N.C., where he served as the organizing pastor; First Presbyterian Church, Bristol, Tenn.; and came to Burlington in 1980 as senior pastor and head of staff of the First Presbyterian Church. He served on the board of the William Black Home in Montreat, N.C., president of the board of directors of the alumni association at Union Theological Seminary and board of trustees at Union Theological Seminary, Davidson College, and Barium Springs Home for Children, Barium Springs, N.C. Williams believed strongly in volunteer work, in giving something back to a community in which you live, and earning your living. He, with other members of the Downtown Ministers Association, envisioned and started Allied Churches Food Kitchen and Shelter, Alamance Cares, and Habitat for Humanity. Williams played a major role in the Civil Rights Movement in Durham in the 1960s, believing all of God's children are created equal. He also believed women had a right to be ordained in ministry. He had the first woman pastor on his staff to serve in a downtown church in Burlington. He also had a woman pastor on staff at First Presbyterian Church in Bristol. He became active in the Burlington community and served for many years as chaplain of the United Way. He was on the board of the Burlington chapter of the Red Cross, Allied Churches, Alamance Human Relations Committee, Downtown Ministers' Association, CROP Walk, Alamance Cares, and Presbyterian Local Ministries. Williams also helped in organizing the local Habitat for Humanity ministry. He and Mrs. Williams were honored by the First Presbyterian Church by naming a Habitat for Humanity home for them and creating an ongoing Habitat fund in their names at the First Presbyterian Church. At his retirement the chapel at the church was named the Charles Williams Chapel. Williams served on several committees of the newly-formed Salem Presbytery. Locally he participated in the ARMC chaplain's program, Lenten services in downtown churches, an ecumenical outdoor Palm Sunday service with the Blessed Sacrament congregation, and Boy Scout Troop 17 Eagle Award ceremonies and graduation services at area high schools. He extended an invitation to Hospice of Alamance for office space when the agency began their service in this county. The local Meals on Wheels program was also housed at the church while Williams served as pastor. While serving with the First Presbyterian Church in Burlington, he worked with the capital projects committee in the late '80s to enlarge parking and renovate office space, Calvin Hall, the sanctuary, the John Knox Room, the library, and the children's area. A sacristy was created, as well as two elevators, a new entrance, and office space. He loved teaching children and developed the "Children in Worship Too," which included weekly worship services and a weekday playschool.
Allie L. Cone, Jr. '55, of Atlanta, Ga., passed away Nov. 29, 2007.
Joseph Marion Garrison Jr. '56, 75, husband of Sandra Bond Garrison of 265 Thornrose Ave., Staunton, VA 24401, died May 9 in Augusta Health in Fishersville, Va. He was born July 25, 1934, in Columbia, Mo., a son of the late Joseph Marion Garrison, Sr. '26 and Evelyn Hawkins Garrison. Garrison received his bachelor's degree from Davidson in 1956 and his master's and Ph.D. from Duke University. He taught at St. Andrews Presbyterian College from 1962-1965 and taught American literature and poetry at Mary Baldwin College from 1965-2000. He attended Covenant Presbyterian Church. In addition to his wife, family members include a son, Alan Garrison (Kathleen); a daughter, Kathryn Paige Kullman; a sister, Terry Garrison Lashley; and five grandchildren, Sarah and Emily Kullman and James, Nellie, and Daniel Garrison. He is also survived by the children of Sandra Garrison, William Conrad Hicklin (Karin) and children, Benjamin, Christopher and Isabella, and James Lawrence Hicklin (Kristin) and daughter, Kate. He was preceded in death by a daughter, Kathryn Scott Garrison, and a brother, David Hawkins Garrison.
William Waters Duke '57, 74, of Lancaster, S.C., passed away Aug. 14 at his home. He was born Oct. 3, 1935, in Charlotte, N.C., a son of the late Charles Moss and Willie Catherine Waters Duke. Duke's family moved often during his youth, settling in Lancaster in 1945. Duke received his B.S. degree from Davidson and was a 1961 graduate of the University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine. His postgraduate training was at the University of North Carolina and the University of Alabama following medical school. He practiced medicine for almost 40 years. He was a fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP) and was a fellow of the American College of Gastroenterology (FACG). Duke was a founding member of Covenant Baptist Church of Lancaster, and he was a member of the Lancaster Gideon Camp and the Lancaster Rotary Club. Duke is survived by his wife, Georgianna Beckham Duke, The Wade-Beckham House, 3385 Great Falls Hwy., Lancaster, SC 29720; three sons, Jonathan Waters Duke (Beverly), William Derrick Duke (Valrie), and Charles Wessinger Duke (Elizabeth); a daughter, Georgianna Scott (Philip); 10 grandchildren, Paige Duke, Meg Duke, Katie Duke, Emily Duke, Dallas Duke, Wilson Scott, Anna Scott, Gracie Scott, James Wessinger Duke, and William Alexander Duke; a great-grandchild, Railee Brown; a brother, Charles M. Duke (Dotty); and a sister, Elizabeth D. Jones (Chris).
Jerry David Kivett '57, 75, of Washington, N.C., died on June 26 from lung and brain cancer. Kivett is survived by his wife, Ann Kivett, 222 Austin Point Dr., Washington, NC 27889; their three sons, Dave (Beth), Mike (Kara), and Josh (Brooke); and their seven grandchildren, Durham, Sophie Ann, Jerry, Grace, Michael, Ryan, and Caroline. Kivett was born in 1935 in Greensboro, N.C., the only child of George Low Kivett of Ramseur, N.C., and Mary Decie Teague of Siler City, N.C. He graduated from Davidson in 1957, where he earned a bachelor of arts degree in psychology. Following college, Kivett served in the U.S. Army for three years, much of that time in service with the Army Counter-Intelligence Corps. On July 15, 1960, he married Mary Ann Tayloe of Washington, N.C.-the beginning of a union that would last 50 years. After an honorable discharge from the Army, Kivett worked for Wells Fargo Armored Service before joining the U.S. Secret Service in September 1961. Just seven months after joining the Secret Service, Kivett was assigned to the protection detail of Vice President Lyndon Johnson in May of 1962. The following year, he was in the vehicle behind the vice president when President Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. During President Johnson's time in the White House, Kivett continued his service to the first family, serving as the lead agent for Lady Bird Johnson's protective detail. Following his years in the White House, he served as special agent in charge of the Richmond and then Atlanta field offices. After retiring from the Secret Service in 1982, Kivett worked in corporate security with the Georgia Power Company. He retired from Georgia Power in 2000, but continued his service to others through community service and volunteer work. Kivett will be remembered as a man of unquestioned honesty, integrity, loyalty, and faith. His devotion to, and respect and abiding love for Ann will be forever honored by his family, especially his sons.
John "Jack" W. Daniel III '59, 73, of Raleigh, N.C., passed April 30. Surviving are his two daughters, Elizabeth Brauns and Stephanie Semke, and seven grandchildren.
William Henry Cobb V '60, 72, of Greenville, N.C., died suddenly at his home on Aug. 1. He was born April 19, 1938, in Little Rock, Ark., to the late William Henry and Faye Johnson Cobb. Cobb attended Davidson and the University of Arkansas, where he earned a B.A. degree in 1960 and an M.A. degree in history in 1962. He then earned a doctorate in history from Tulane University in 1969, specializing in 17th French diplomatic relations. He taught history at Memphis State University, Memphis, Tenn. (1963-65); Xavier University of Louisiana, New Orleans, La. (1967-69); and East Carolina University from 1969 until his retirement in 2004. Cobb was also a guest lecturer and author of numerous grants, articles, papers, and the book Radical Education in the Rural South: Commonwealth College, 1922-1940, which won the Arkansiana Award for Best Nonfiction in 2001. As a second lieutenant, he served in the Armor XII U.S. Army Reserves. He was a lifetime member of the Arkansas Alumni Association and an avid supporter of the University of Arkansas Razorbacks. Being a firm believer in the electoral process, he supported the Democratic Party in every election. Cobb was an active member of First Presbyterian Church, Greenville, N.C., where he served as elder, deacon, Sunday school teacher, and in many other capacities. He served on both local and state campus ministry boards. He was also a member of Greenville Golden K Kiwanis Club. He is survived by his wife, Cecilia Moore-Cobb, 104 Pineview Dr., Greenville, NC 27834; sons, William Henry Cobb VI '84 and Richard Hutton Cobb (Tara Berkey); grandchildren, Mason, Caton, Emmye, Chloe, and Sullivan; stepdaughters, Peyton Hope Allain and Georgia Moore Brown (Will) and son, Hayes; adopted son, Lesley Thibodeaux; and his faithful dogs, Soo-iee and Daisy the beagle.
Dan Orr Clemmer '61, 71, a career librarian who retired in 2002 as director of the State Department's main library in Washington, died April 5 at his home in Chevy Chase, Md. The cause of death was multiple systems atrophy. Clemmer worked for the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian Institution before joining the State Department library in 1973. He became chief of the reader services branch and then library director. He helped supervise the automation of operations and modernize the library by bringing many vital services online. He was a recipient of State Department honors for his work. He was involved in several professional associations and was a past president of the D.C. Library Association. Clemmer was born in Etowah, Tenn., and raised in Benton, Tenn. He was a 1961 graduate of Davidson, and received a master's degree in teaching from Brown University in 1964 and a master's degree in library science from Columbia University in 1967. Early in his career, he taught English in Tanzania through a U.S. Agency for International Development program. Clemmer had been a member of Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church and Celebration, a home-based Church of the Brethren group. In the late 1980s, he wrote a humor column for the Montgomery County Sentinel. In one column, he observed, "An imaginary number is the time your daughter tells you she will get home from Georgetown. A real number is the time she actually gets home." Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Elizabeth Campbell Clemmer, 5527 Trent St., Chevy Chase, MD 20815; three children, Nancy Clemmer, Helen Rolston-Clemmer, and Stephen Clemmer; and three grandchildren.
James "Jim" Clarence Smith, Jr. '61, 70, died May 8 at the Montgomery Regional Hospital in Blacksburg, Va. A lover of life from the start, Smith was born on Aug. 16, 1939, in Martinsville, Va., to James Clarence Smith, Sr. and Florence Hunt "Yonnie" Pannill Smith. It was during his youth in Martinsville where he met the love of his life and wife of 47 years, Linda Flora Smith. Smith earned his undergraduate degree at Davidson, his master's degree at William and Mary, and his Ph.D. at Duke University. On June 23, 1962, he married Linda Sue Flora, his high school sweetheart. During the next five years, he and Linda had their two daughters. His professional career was diverse and included working with NASA in Newport News, Va., over 30 years with Virginia Tech as a math professor, co-authoring a calculus textbook, and building and managing two athletic clubs located in Martinsville, Va., and Myrtle Beach, S.C. In addition to his career and accomplishments, Smith was known for his love of life and sense of humor. He loved his family, his friends, golf, Elvis, sausage biscuits, running on the beach, light beer, parties, coupons, and adventures of all kinds. He never lost his sense of wonder with the world or the desire to learn and create. He was a member of many boards and organizations and was very quietly philanthropic. He made numerous donations in the form of educational scholarships and gifts to meet the individual needs of others. He is survived by his wife, Linda Flora Smith, 511 Wood Haven Ct., Blacksburg, VA 24060; daughters, Mary Hunter Goss (Robert A. Goss) and Stacy Pannill Rice '90; and grandson, Robert Hayden Goss.
William "Bud" Evans Wyche, Jr. '64, 67, died June 27 at his home in High Point, N.C. He had been in declining health for the last three years. Wyche, although born in Los Angeles, spent most of his years as a North Carolinian. He was the son of William Evans and Jennie Tomlin Wyche of High Point. He attended Davidson, where he was a member of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity. A retired career Coast Guard officer, he taught SAR at OCS in Yorktown, Va., and his commands included the four bases that made up the U.S. Coast Guard Group Atlantic City: commanding officer of USCG Cape Fox in Miami, OPS officer on USCG cutter Alert in Cape May, and OPS on the USCG cutter Hollyhock in Miami. He also taught sonar navigation at Officer Candidate School in Yorktown, Va. He served in Vietnam as CO USCG of cutter Point Welcome in Da Nang, Vietnam, where he received the Bronze Star with V Device for Valor; CG Unit Commendation Ribbon, Armed Forces Meritorious Unit Citation (Gallantry Cross with Palm, Command at Sea, etc.). Before civilian retirement, he was formerly owner of Wyche Enterprises and co-owner of Wilden Company LLC in High Point. He was a member of St. Mary's Episcopal Church, the Brotherhood of St. Andrew at St. Mary's; the Military Officers Association, High Point American Business Club, and the American Legion. He is survived by his wife, Ann Swindell Wyche, 104 Brantley Cir., High Point, NC 27262; two sons, William Evans Wyche III and Jonathan Gilbert Wyche; four grandchildren, William Evans Wyche IV, Victoria Guard, Ryan Alexander Wyche, and Jeffrey David Wyche; a sister, Lucy Wyche Rapp; and a brother, Herbert Tomlin Wyche.
John Steven Bunch '65, 66, of Mauldin, S.C., passed away Aug. 10 after a courageous, 10-month battle with acute leukemia. Born in Jacksonville, Ill., and having grown up in Jacksonville, Fla., Bunch was the son of the late Wiles Burnett Bunch of Atlanta, Ga. A graduate of Davidson, Bunch retired after 35 years of service with IBM. An active community leader, Bunch served on the Mauldin City Council for 16 years, on the long-range planning committee for the School District of Greenville County, and was a graduate of Leadership Greenville. As a member of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church PC (U.S.A.), he served as an elder, deacon, treasurer, and Sunday school teacher over the years. Surviving are his wife of 43 years, Linda Boland Bunch, 223 Edgewood Dr., Mauldin, SC 29662-1945; a son, John Steven Bunch, Jr. (Jane Marie Bunch); two grandchildren, Megan and John III; a daughter, Catherine Boland Bunch; a brother, Andy Bunch; and two sisters, Jo Varney and Beth Piver (Blake).
Thomas Bart Peaden '66, 65, of Philadelphia, Pa., died of heart disease Aug. 27 at home. Since the mid-1970s, Peaden taught basic, advanced, and business French at the Alliance Française de Philadelphie, a not-for-profit French school and cultural center. Besides teaching, Peaden assisted with administrative duties and with social events. Peaden also taught French for many years at the University of Pennsylvania and recently taught at La Salle University. He was a literature, film, and music enthusiast. His favorite reads included the Inspector Maigret series by the French writer Georges Simenon and works by Italian writer Umberto Eco. His favorite musician was the late gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Other musicians who were in heavy rotation on his iPod included Wanda Jackson, Etta James, Zap Mama, Fine Young Cannibals, and Elvis Presley, and he recently attended a performance by Natalie Merchant. A lifelong dog lover, Peaden's first magazine subscription was to Dog World when he was 10 years old. As a youngster, he made model cars from kits with his brother Bret. Later, he found car kits and assembled cars on eBay and sent them to his brother as gifts. He "thrilled" his friends with other eBay finds, such as vintage postcards, jewelry, and religious icons. Peaden grew up in Florida and spent summers at his family's cabin in Boone, N.C. He discovered the beauty of the French language at Landon High School in Jacksonville. After earning a bachelor's degree in French from Davidson, he earned a master's degree in French from the University of Pennsylvania and completed course work for his doctorate at Penn. For three years he lived in Lyon and Avignon, France, and taught at the University of Lyon. In addition to his brother, Bret Peaden, P.O. Box 63, Keysville, VA 23947, Peaden is survived by a brother, Greg; a sister, Sarah Thogode; three nieces; and three nephews.
James Stuart Chandler Jr. '72, 60, of Pawleys Island, S.C., died Aug. 7 at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, S.C. Chandler was born in Conway on Dec. 4, 1949, a son of the late James Stuart and Sara May McKinney Chandler. Chandler graduated in 1972 from Davidson with a B.A. in economics and received his master's in business administration from the University of South Carolina in 1973. He received his law degree from the University of South Carolina in 1977. He married Rebecca McCarthy in 1976. Chandler returned to Georgetown County, where he was an environmental attorney and founder and president of the S.C. Environmental Law Project (S.C.E.L.P.). He was a member of the Sierra Club and the League of Women Voters. During his career, he was awarded the Sierra Club's William O. Douglas Award, the S.C. General Assembly's Environmental Awareness Award, and the S.C. Wildlife Federations' Conservationist of the Year Award. Chandler was fully dedicated to his family, his passion for the protection of the environment, and his participation in a local band. Chandler was preceded in death by a brother, Wayne McKinney Chandler. Surviving are his wife, Rebecca McCarthy Chandler, P.O. Box 1380, Pawleys Island, SC 29585-1380; a daughter, Leigh Caroline Chandler; two sisters, Sara Ann Chandler Hooks (Jim) and Lucile Chandler Cook (Rodney); a brother-in-law, Michael McCarthy (Linda); and numerous nieces and nephews.
Marianna "Missy" Boaz Woodward '73 passed away unexpectedly on July 25 in Fairbanks, Alaska. She is remembered and mourned by countless family and friends in Alaska and on both coasts of the United States. Born in Charlottesville, Va., on Jan. 27, 1951, Woodward grew up on her family's apple farm south of town in Covesville. She attended Agnes Scott College in Atlanta one year before transferring to Davidson. When she graduated with honors in 1973, she was the first female graduate in the school's history. She and her husband, Kes, who graduated with her from Davidson the same year, were married in 1971. The couple moved to Alaska in 1977, living in Juneau and Anchorage before moving to Fairbanks in 1981. An art major at Davidson and fulltime studio potter during her first few years in Alaska, Woodward decided to become a doctor and completed three years of undergraduate science courses in Juneau and Fairbanks before entering the WAMI medical program. She received her medical doctor's degree from the University of Washington in 1987 and completed her pediatric residency at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Hanover, N.H., in 1991. Woodward joined Tanana Valley Clinic in 1991, and in addition to seeing pediatric patients, served as the clinic's president and for several years as its first medical director. She was practicing with the remarkable staff of TVC and Fairbanks Memorial Hospital at the time of her death. Woodward was preceded in death by her father, Emmett Daniel Boaz, Jr.; her mother, Marianna Wilson Boaz; and her sister, Ada Cornelia Boaz. She is survived by her husband, Kesler Woodward '73, P.O. Box 70892, Fairbanks, AK 99707-0892; son, Eli Woodward (Becca Lang); brothers, Emmett Daniel Boaz III and Wilson Ashby Boaz; sister, Emily Katherine Kroehler; treasured nieces and nephews; and her husband's family in South Carolina.
Robert Allen Wright '73, 58, of Atlanta, Ga., passed away Aug. 14 at his residence in Atlanta. He enjoyed a career in theatre and left many friends and colleagues. He is survived by a brother and sister-in-law, C. Russell Wright and Whit Perrin Wright, 2129 Grandview Rd., Jasper, GA 30143-3313.
Philip Elston Bishop '74, 58, formerly of Radford, Va., passed away on April 12 at his home in Orlando, Fla., surrounded by his family, after a brave battle with melanoma. He was born on Jan. 16, 1952, in Lawrence, Kans., a son of the late Harry E. and Verna M. Bishop. Bishop graduated from Davidson in 1974, and earned his master's and Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin Madison. He moved to Orlando in 1985 and taught English and humanities at Jones High School for four years before becoming a fulltime professor of humanities at Valencia Community College and taught night classes at University of Central Florida. Bishop was a gifted writer and published six editions of college-level textbooks and numerous journals on both art and teaching. He was passionate in the classroom and a mentor to his students and teachers. His friends and colleagues were important in his life and surrounded him with support and love. Bishop is survived by his son, Aaron Bishop (Wendy), 123 Teakwood Dr., Apt. H, Greensboro, NC 27406-8194; a daughter, Shaughna Bishop (Chris Allen); his mother, Verna Bishop; one brother, Mark Bishop (Lou Don); one sister, Elaine Brooks; two grandchildren, Lily and Cole Bishop; and several nieces and nephews.
Mary Brooks Booth '81, 52, of Durham, N.C., died peacefully surrounded by her family on July 30. Booth was born in Durham. In 1977 she was an AFS exchange student in Paris, France, returning to attend Davidson, where she graduated in 1981 with honors. For 18 years, she was employed with Whole Foods Market, the last nine years at the headquarters in Austin, Tex., as a business systems analyst. For the past four years, Booth fought a bold and selfless battle with cancer. Her humor and positive attitude were an inspiration to many and helped to sustain her through the many challenges over the course of her illness. She is survived by her parents, E. Spurgeon Booth, Jr., and Mary S. "Brooks" Booth, 416 Monticello Ave., Durham, NC 27707; sister, Carol J. Booth; brothers, Ernest S. "Tripp" Booth III and David D. Booth (Anna); nephews, Brad, Grant, George, and Sam; an uncle, aunts, and several cousins; a devoted caretaker, Rosemary; and many loving friends.
Kenneth O. Hovet, Jr. '83, of Clarksville, Md., died on June 28 after fighting kidney cancer for several months. He was born May 29, 1961. Hovet, a 1979 graduate of Oakland Mills, taught and coached for more than 20 years in the county he grew up in. During his 11 years as head coach at Oakland Mills, he went 72-48, won three county titles, and captured the school's only football championship in 1998. He most recently served as football coach at Marriotts Ridge and was a teacher at Marriottsville Ridge High School. He is survived by his wife, Maria Hovet, 6565 Autumn Wind Cir., Clarksville, MD 21029-1277; daughters, Christi, Ali, and Anna Hovet; brother- and sister-in-law, Kevin and Rosa Maria Smith; and nephew and niece, Michael Smith and Krista Smith.
Andrew Tibbals Graves '88, of Jackson, Wyo., peacefully passed away May 13 at the same hospital where he was born on May 17, 1966. Throughout his life, and especially during his fight with multiple cancers in recent years, he showed the power of boundless optimism, clarity of faith, and love of life. His humor, strong will, and creative opinions will be long remembered by his family and many friends and associates. Graves is survived by his son, Miles Alexander Graves; his parents, Thomas Ashley Graves, Jr. and Zoe Wasson Graves, 3001 Downing St., Williamsburg, VA 23185; his sister, Elizabeth Graves Tector; his fiancée, Usa Pungmuang; and his stepsiblings, Thomas A. Graves III, Stephen D. Graves, and Mary Graves Vonnegut. He is also remembered and loved by his many friends and family in San Francisco, Calif., and Jackson, Wyo., both places he cherished and called home.
Garnett Janson Smith '94, of Lewis Center, Ohio, died July 1. Smith was a graduate of Davidson. He was the son of Leila Eden Evans, P.O. Box 243, Mt. Gilead, NC 27306, and Paul R. Smith, deceased, and the grandson of Clarence and Josephine Eden, both deceased. He is survived by his mother; sisters, Leila King and Eden Smith; a brother, Chris Smith; and partner, Jim Payne. Memorials may be made to Davidson College Garnett Smith Memorial Fund, Box 7170, Davidson, NC 28035.