Professor of Biology
Office: Watson 274
Lab: Watson 260
Current Teaching Interests
Introductory biology, ecology, evolutionary biology, biostatistics and experimental design, dendrology (taxonomy of woody plants), environmental science, and ecology of disease. All courses require independent library and/or laboratory/field projects and are writing intensive.
View the Bio 112 (Introductory Biology II) Lab Manual
B.A., SUNY College at Plattsburgh
M.S. (Library), SUNY at Albany
M.S. (Biology), Bucknell University
Ph.D., Duke University
- Science Reference Librarian, Bucknell University
- Postdoctoral Teaching Fellow and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biology, UNC Greensboro
Professional Organizations: Sigma Xi, Association of Southeastern Biologists, Torrey Botanical Society
Current Research Interests
- Microbiome effects on human health and agriculture
- Demography and ecological genetics of seed banks in a white campion (Silene alba) metapopulation
- Seed bank density and genetic composition
- Effects of seed banks on metapopulation dynamics
- Evolutionary implications of dormant seed banks
*indicates undergraduate coauthor
- Budischak, S.A.*, P.A. Peroni, and J.N. Ripperton. In prep. Effects of seed age on viability, germination, and seedling performance in white campion (Silene latifolia) from a southwestern Virginia meta population.
- Peroni, P.A. 2012. Spatial Environmental Variation Affects Seed Survival and Germination of Artificial Seed Banks in a White Campion (Silene latifolia) Metapopulation. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 139:290-298.
- Ripperton, J.G.*, P.A. Peroni, and S.A. Budischak*. 2006 Effects of burial on seed germination and seedling performance in white campion (Silene latifolia). Journal of the North Carolina Academy of Science 122:29-38.
- Peroni, P.A. and R.T. Armstrong*. 2001. Density dispersion and population genetics of a Silene latifolia seed bank from southwestern Virginia. Journey of the Torrey Botanical Society 128:400-406.
- Peroni, P.A. and R.T. Armstrong*. 1999. Demystifying Hardy-Weinberg: population genetics of the Lap locus in white campion (Silene latifolia) populations. In: Proceedings of the 1998 Conference of the Association for Biology Lab Education (ABLE).
- Steven, J.C.*, P.A. Peroni, and E. Rowell*. 1999. The effects of pollen addition on fruit set and gender expression in the andromonoecious herb horsenettle (Solanum carolinense). American Midland Naturalist. 141:247-252.
- McCauley, D., J. Stevens*, P.A. Peroni, and J.A. Raveill. 1996. The spatial distribution of chloroplast DNA and allozyme polymorphisms within a population of Silene alba. American Journal of Botany 83:727-731.
- Peroni, P.A. 1994. Seed size and dispersal potential of Acer rubrum (Aceraceae) samaras produced by populations in early and late successional environments. American Journal of Botany 81:1428-1434.