Sustainability programs and projects at Davidson have exploded over the past few years, mostly due to the dedication of faculty, staff, and students to keep Davidson red, black, and green. We are proud of these projects and the individuals and groups behind them. You can lend a hand every day in lots of simple ways--it all adds up!
- Plastics #1-#7 (Except #6)
- Paperboard (cereal boxes, milk cartons, juice cartons, etc.)
- Cardboard--stack next to paper bin
- Batteries--Union, next to the Post Office
- Ink Cartridges--Union, next to the Post Office
- Plastic Bags--Union, next to the Post Office
For more information on recycling on Davidson, check out this article. For information on how to recycle more items, check out this article.
Bins in the Union Cafe
- Food waste
- Paper food containers
- Paper condiment cups
- Utensils (they're made of corn starch!)
- Salad containers (they're made of corn starch!)
- Coffee cups & lids
- Cold drink cups (NOT lids or straws)
DO NOT Compost These Items!
- Aluminum or other metals
- Butter containers
- Plastic cold drink lids
- Milk cartons (they're coated in wax)
- To class or work
- To Main St for amenities like a pharmacy, coffee shop, restaurants, and shopping
- To Sadler Square for amenities like a grocery store, restaurants, and movie theater
- To Davidson Commons for amenities like a grocery store, restaurants, and more!
Ride a Bike
- To all of the above locations!
- Park your bike at one of the many bike racks around campus
- Freshen up in the locker rooms at Baker Sports Complex or the Nisbet Fitness Center in the Union
- For errands like grocery shopping
- On trips to area attractions like the lake campus or movie theaters
- The CATS bus can take you into Charlotte!
- Once in Charlotte, the Light Rail can take you where you want to go
- Turn off the lights when they're not in use--even if you're only leaving for a minute
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) in your desk lamps
- Order Big Oak Beef burgers at the Union (They're local and grass-fed!)
- All eggs served on campus are now cage-free.
- Drink organic milk in the Union.
- Check out the local specials at the Davis Cafe and in Common's.
- Bring a reusable mug to the Union Cafe or Commons and save big bucks!
- Take only what you CAN eat at Commons to reduce food waste
- Turn off the faucet unless you are actively using it