Energy Efficiency Commitment
With the President's commitment pledging to reduce Davidson's greenhouse gas emissions and conserve energy, Davidson has adopted an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring the purchase of Energy Star certified products where such ratings exist.
Therefore, we're asking students and parents to assist in the College's efforts by purchasing Energy Star rated products for use in residence hall rooms. Computers, televisions, DVD players, audio sound and theater systems, game stations, etc are a huge draw on electricity. Any assistance provided by bringing Energy Star rated electronics to campus will be greatly appreciated.
- Microwave (limited to 10 Amps or 1200 Watts)*
- Mini-fridge (limited to 6 cubic feet; 1 per room)*
* For a good fridge/microwave solution check out the MicroFridge product from Standards for Living - includes delivery and pick up.
- Hot air popcorn poppers
- Slow cookers/crock pots
- Electric coffee pot
- Can openers
- Hair dryers
- Electric shavers
Items Not Allowed
The following is a list of items that are not permitted in the residence halls, so please do not bring them with you when you come to campus:
- Full-size refrigerators
- Cooking or heating units with exposed heating elements (e.g. Toaster, hot plate, Foreman, etc.)
- Sleeper sofas
- Wall-to-wall carpeting
- Electric blankets
- Homemade Lofts - The college-owned beds are loftable.
- Candles, incense and other items that burn
- Halogen lamps
- Dart boards, including those with magnetic darts
For a complete list of items that are not allowed in the halls, please refer to the Residence Life Policies and Procedures section of the Student Handbook.