Each October, the College Union and Residence Life Office present an intramural quiz bowl tournament. In a typical year, between 100 and 150 students play in the campus tournament, competing for fun and a chance to represent Davidson on our varsity team. The campus tournament is open to every Davidson student. Teams represent fraternities, student organizations, residence halls, and groups of friends. Selection to the Davidson varsity squad is determined from this intramural tournament based on quickness of mind, breadth of knowledge, and sportsmanship, as displayed in the tournament.
General Intramural Tournament Info
- Registration for the 2012-2013 tournament begins September 19, 2012. Registration forms can be found here and in the Student Activities Office. Forms can be submitted to the Student Activities Office between 8:30 am - 5:00 pm each business day.
- This year in addition to registering as a team, students will also be able to register as free agents. Participants who register as free agents will be assigned to a team with other free agents at the end of tournament registration. Note: If you register as a free agent you do not need to complete a team registration form. To register as a free agent please complete the Free Agent Registration Form.
- Registration Deadline: October 12, 2012 @ 5:00 pm.
- A full tournament schedule will be emailed to all players by October 17, 2012.
- Tournament play begins October 24, 2012 and concludes November 18, 2012 with games on six Sunday and Wednesday evenings.
- Typically teams will play one match per night, with the exception of the final playoff matches on November 18, 2012. Each match will take approximately 25 minutes.
- Teams consist of up to 5 players, but only 4 will play at any given time during a match. Those who were on the Varsity Team in 2011-2012 may not play on a team with any other members of last year's varsity team.
- At least 3 people must show up for a team to play and at least one of those people must be on the original team roster submitted at registration.
- You may add members to your team as the season continues, but they must not play for any other team during the season.
- A team of tournament All Stars will be selected to represent Davidson in the Regional Tournament in February and the Nationals, if they win Regionals.
Rules of Play
Davidson's campus tournament follows the National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT) guidelines for its matches.
Dates of Play
*Note: Not all teams will play each of these nights and each match only lasts approximately 25-30 minutes. A detailed schedule will be given to the teams once the registration deadline has passed, divisions are created, and a match schedule is finalized. However, all play will take place within these time windows below and in the following locations.
- Wednesday, October 24, 5 PM - 8:30 PM in Alvarez 302 and Alvarez 313
- Sunday, October 28, 6 PM - 9 PM in the Sprinkle Room
- Sunday, November 4, 6 PM - 9 PM in the Sprinkle Room
- Wednesday, November 7, 5 PM - 8 PM in Alvarez 313 and Alvarez 302
- Sunday, November 11, 6 PM - 9 PM in the Sprinkle Room
- Sunday, November 18 - Playoffs, 6 PM - 9 PM in the Sprinkle Room (Playoffs are typically single elimination. Typically, teams must win at least one game to go into the playoffs [with a max of 12 teams] and seeding is determined by record, head-to-head, and point differential, in that order).
If you have any questions about the tournament, please contact William Brown. If you are a faculty or staff member who would like to serve as a moderator or scorekeeper, please email Michelle Navas.
Click here to return to the Quiz Bowl Home Page.