Sophos Anti-Virus must be installed on all student-owned Apple computers connecting to the campus network.
BEFORE BEGINNING: Before you start this procedure, your computer must be named correctly. Instructions for naming your computer are here. If you do not name your computer correctly your Sophos installation will not work properly, and you must contact Student Technology to fix it.
- Save and close any open documents and quit all running programs.
- If you have another version of Sophos Anti-Virus installed, remove it:
- Open /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/ and double-click Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, taking the defaults and entering your administrator credentials for the computer as requested. Quit the uninstaller when it completes.
- Launch your Web browser and point it to http://sophos4.davidson.edu/.
- Click the file Install_Sophos_Mac.zip to download it. If your computer is properly configured, the downloaded file will automatically decompress and run the installer. If not, decompress the downloaded zip file, open the resulting Install Sophos Mac folder, and double-click Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg.
- Click Continue. The install will begin. Follow the instructions as presented, and provide your administrator password for the computer when requested.
The software is now installed and configured to receive regular automatic updates from Davidson's Sophos server.
Use the Back button in your browser to return to the Bradford window, and click Re-Scan. Or, browse to an outside web page (e.g. google.com) to be redirected to it again.
Having trouble? Contact StudentTech at 704-894-2900, option 2, then option 1.