Check out these ideas to make your dorm room an eco-friendly space!
1. Energy Boost
Davidson has a commitment to purchasing only Energy Star appliances. Support our commitment by choosing Energy Star when you have the option.
2. Light up your life!
Compact fluorescent light bulbs are now available in all sorts of shapes and wattages, including dimmable designs. CFLs use 1/5 to 1/3 as much energy as a traditional bulb! Be sure to choose a lamp that is compatible.
3. 2nd Chance
Check out one of the area's many secondhand shops for furniture, appliances, and clothes. Try Goodwill or the Habitat ReStore!
4. Catch some ZZZ's...
Choose linen products with natural and even organic fibers. Wool and cotton are often healthier alternatives to synthetic blends.
5. Power Play
Use a powerstrip to prevent phantom loads from electronics and appliances that draw energy even when they are turned off! Not to mention, you'll clear up that tangle of chords. Make sure you still switch off your powerstrip when you leave the room.
6. Dirty Duds
Use phosphate-free laundry detergent made with natural products instead of harsh chemicals to help keep local waterways clean.
7. Drink to your health!
Avoid plastic water bottles by using a water filter and a reusable canister. Get a Cat CUPPS sticker and put it on a reusable mug or bottle to use in your room, Commons, and the Union Café--it saves you money!
8. Just Breathe
Get a house plant! Choose one that promotes good air quality, like Areca palm, Reed palm, Dwarf date palm, Boston fern, Janet Craig dracaena, English ivy, Australian sword fern, Peace lily, Rubber plant, and Weeping fig.
9. Grab some Grub
Get inexpensive metal or plastic plates, bowls, and utensils that can be washed and reused. Check the camping section at local hardware stores.
10. Snack Attack
Choose whole food snacks like fresh fruit, cheese, and veggie sticks.. Check out the Davidson Farmers Market for fresh local produce! Every Saturday, 8am-noon behind Summit Coffee and Ben & Jerry's, year round!
Want to do more? Follow these tips to make eco-friendly choices for your room!
- Turn off your lights when you leave the room.
- Use a desk lamp or natural light instead of the overhead light.
- Keep the lights off in your bathroom and Common Room when not in use.
- Turn your computer off when you don't need it.
- Unplug coffee makers, microwaves, and other small appliances when not in use. They draw electricity even when they're not being used.
- Walk or ride your bike around campus and in town. If you do need to drive, carpool!
- Take a reuseable bag to the bookstore, the supermarket and other shopping excursions so you don't need paper or plastic ones.
- There are recycling bins on your hall and all over campus for paper products and for plastic, glass, and aluminum.
- The Union has recycling receptacles for plastic grocery bags, batteries and used printer cartridges next to the Post Office boxes.