The Department of Chemistry provides a rich learning environment in which students:
- Acquire a strong foundation in basic concepts and principles of modern chemistry and gain an appreciation of chemistry's central role in human endeavors;
- Develop laboratory, computer, data acquisition and analysis, critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills;
- Seek to answer questions about chemistry by designing and performing experiments, by analyzing and interpreting results, and by communicating results through written and oral means;
- Participate in the process of scientific discovery through student-faculty research; and
- Foster connections within broader scientific and educational communities, both as recipients and disseminators of scientific knowledge.