The Chemistry Department occupies the four-story, 23,000-square foot Martin Chemical Laboratory, which underwent a $1.5 million renovation in 1997 and is tenatively scheduled for further renovation and an addition in the next several years.
The building houses teaching and research laboratories, dedicated instrument rooms, a technology-equipped lecture hall and classroom, a chemical library with web access to hundreds of journals, and a computer lab. A well-equipped laser lab is shared with the Physics Department.
During the academic year Martin Chemistry Laboratory is open to the public
Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 7:00 pm
CLOSED Saturday, Sunday, and over College breaks
Summer hours (mid-May to mid-August)
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
Chemistry majors have extended card access (6 am - 1 am). Other CatCard holders have card access Monday - Friday, 7:00-11:00 pm and Saturday/Sunday, 2:00-11:00 pm.
Major instruments include the following:
- Gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer
- 400 MHz FT-NMR spectrometer
- FT-IR spectrometer
- Atomic absorption spectrometer
- Photodiode array and scanning UV-Vis spectrophotometers
- Circular dichroism spectrophotometer
- Capillary gas chromatograph
- Ion chromatograph
- High performance liquid chromatograph
- Time-correlated single photon counting spectrophotometer
- Laboratory microwave reactor