Art majors may receive up to two credits towards their major for courses taken elsewhere.
- The student should have his/her transcript sent from the school to the Registrar’s Office at Davidson.
- If the Registrar awards Art 198 or 199 credit(s) for the studio and/or art history courses, then the student will need to submit documentation of work done to the department assistant, Brenda King.
- Submissions should be made by October 10th for the previous spring semester’s courses, or by March 10th for the fall semester’s courses.
- Documentation includes the syllabus, class notes, any papers written, projects undertaken, tests and the final examination.
- For a studio class, all two-dimensional work and documentation of three-dimensional work should also be submitted.
- A Review for Credit form, available through the department assistant, should accompany each set of materials.
- A copy of the notification of Art 198 or 199 credit should also be included.
- The material will be evaluated by a committee of either studio or art history faculty, as appropriate, in order to determine whether the work meets department standards for credit toward the major. If so, the course number will be converted to 298 (Art History) or 299 (Studio).
- If, in the faculty’s opinion, the case is borderline, the student will be asked to pass a test to verify her or his competency in the subject matter of the course in question.
REMINDER: The department does not assign credit for graduation. That is the Registrar’s responsibility.