Frank Houston Smith ’26 of Raleigh, N.C., died Oct. 23, 2005. With a B.S. in chemistry from Davidson College, Mr. Smith served as a junior chemist with the N.C. Department of Agriculture, then joined the Department of Animal Science at NCSU as assistant in animal nutrition. He graduated from N.C. State College with an M.S. in chemistry. He retired as professor emeritus in 1973 with 45 years of continuous service to NCSU. Mr. Smith was affiliated with the American Chemistry Society, the American Oil Chemistry Society, the N.C. Academy of Science, the American Institute of Nutrition, Gamma Sigma Delta, and Sigma Xi. He was a longtime member of Fairmont United Methodist Church, where he served as Cub Scout Master, Boy Scout Master, Methodist Youth Fellowship counselor, and Sunday school teacher. Survivors include his wife of 71 years, Lois Ellington Smith; two sons, Frank Houston Smith, Jr. (Gaille Rouse Smith) and David R. Smith, 7712 Tobruk Ct., Hanover, MD 21076-1641; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Harold Rawling Pratt-Thomas ’34, M.D., entered into eternal life Mar. 29. Dr. Pratt-Thomas was born in Barnsley, Yorkshire, England, June 9, 1913, the son of Dorothy Parkin and Harold Pratt. After World War I, his mother married Lee Hamilton Thomas, who adopted him. He graduated from Davidson College with an A.B. degree, and later received an honorary degree from his alma mater. He was granted his M.D. degree from the Medical College of the State of South Carolina in 1938. After serving his internship and residency in pathology at the Cincinnati General Hospital, he joined the pathology department at MUSC, where he remained for 49 years. During this time, he served as chairman of the department and dean of the School of Medicine, as well as president of the institution. He established the School of Cytotechnology, which was among the earliest in the nation devoted to this discipline. He was a fellow of the American College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Medical Society of South Carolina, the AOA, and was president emeritus of the Waring Historical Library. Among his many honors, he was awarded honorary degrees from the College of Charleston, Davidson College, and MUSC. Dr. Pratt-Thomas was twice selected by his students for the Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching, and his students commissioned his portrait by Robert Bruce Williams, which currently hangs at MUSC. He was a member of the St. Andrew’s Society, the Medical Society of South Carolina, the Medical History Club, the South Carolina Society, and the Screen Actors Guild. In addition to his devotion to his family, his avocations included being a master gardener, painting, photography, growing orchids, yachting, and being an avid outdoorsman. Dr. Pratt-Thomas is survived by his wife, Mary “Polly” Douglas Pratt-Thomas, 23 Legare St., Charleston, SC 29401; his children, Dorothy Parkin Pratt-Thomas Leonard (W.B. Chisolm Leonard), Mary Porcher Pratt-Thomas Evans, Harold Rawling Pratt-Thomas, Jr. (Lou Ann Scarborough Pratt-Thomas), and Erskine Douglas Pratt-Thomas (Leslie Darwin Pratt-Thomas); his brother, Frank Parkin Thomas; his eight grandchildren, Mary Douglas Leonard Ohl, W.B. Chisolm Leonard, Jr., Caroline Heyward Evans Johnson, George Rawling Evans, Helen Cooper Pratt-Thomas, Harold Rawling Pratt-Thomas III, Jeffrey Douglas Pratt-Thomas, and Taylor Darwin Pratt-Thomas; and his five great-grandchildren, Nelson Porter Ohl, Virginia Bailey Ohl, Dorothy Wade Leonard, Harry Locke Johnson III, and Peter Cordes Porcher Johnson. He was preceded in death by his sister, Dorothy Thomas Hunter, and his brother, Lee Hamilton Thomas, Jr.
Dr. Ralph Monroe Bell ’37 of Charlotte and Waxhaw, N.C., died on Feb. 7. He was born Sept. 3, 1916 in Mooresville, N.C., to the late Dr. Andrew E. Bell and Lilla Mann Bell. He was educated in Mooresville Public Schools and is a graduate of Davidson College, University of North Carolina Medical School, and Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. After graduating, he was an intern at Touro Infirmary in New Orleans. He served for four years in the Navy Medical Corps and was a lieutenant commander when he left the service. He then worked at Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans as part of Tulane Medical School’s graduate school. Ralph practiced medicine as an internist specializing in hematology in Charlotte from 1949 until his retirement in 1986. He was known as an outstanding diagnostician, an avid hunter, and part-time farmer. He enjoyed raising hunting dogs and horses. Ralph’s interest in people, love for his family, dedication for keeping up with new developments in his profession throughout his retirement, and his wonderful sense of humor will be greatly missed. In addition to his parents, Ralph was preceded in death by a sister, Lilla Winstead. He is survived by his wife, Mary Ann Hodge Bell, 8223 Bonds Grove Church Rd., Waxhaw, NC 28173; two stepchildren, Kimberly Holladay Faaberg (Jeff) and Kevin Holladay; four step-grandchildren, Jeffrey, Carrie, Erik, and Joshua Faaberg; four sisters, Mary Parks Weathers, Louise Moffitt, Helen Rankin, and Eleanor Alexander; and nine nieces and nephews.
Goudyloch “Giddy” Saffold Erwin Dyer ’38, of Davidson, N.C., died on Feb. 28. Mrs. Dyer will be deeply missed by the communities of Davidson and suburban Chicago, where she was a passionately committed public servant and beloved wife, friend, mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, and great-grandmother. She will be remembered for the joy she brought to all she met. She remained active and vibrant until her sudden and peaceful death at her home at The Pines. She told many family members she had accomplished all she hoped for in life—except for the chance to vote for Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election. She was born May 28, 1919, in Atlanta, Ga., and spent her childhood in Davidson. She was the daughter of the late Mary Louisa Browne Erwin and former Davidson College English professor Edward Jones Erwin (Class of 1906), who were themselves beloved pillars of the Davidson community. Her brothers, George Pfifer Erwin ’36 and Edward Jones Erwin ’43, were both killed during World War II, and her family constructed a memorial building in their honor, Erwin Lodge, which remains part of the campus of Davidson College. After completing a year at the then all-male Davidson College, Giddy received a bachelor of arts degree at Agnes Scott College in Atlanta in 1938. She spent two years as an assistant children’s librarian at the New York City Public Library. While living in Brooklyn, N.Y., she met and married Robert Campbell Dyer, who preceded her in death in 2004 after 63 years of marriage. Following World War II, they moved to the Chicago area. There, she became active in local community groups including Girl Scouts, the parent-teacher associations at her children’s schools, American Association of University Women, and the League of Women Voters. She also wrote reviews of children’s books for The Chicago Tribune. Through her involvement in the League, as well as the National Council of Republican Workshops, she entered politics in 1960 as the first woman elected to the DuPage County Board of Commissioners. She held the office until 1968, when she was elected to the first of six terms in the Illinois state legislature. While there, she focused on health, education, conservation, and issues affecting women and children. She was chief Republican House sponsor of the Equal Rights Amendment, and successfully pushed it through the Illinois House in 1975. Her many honors for her public service included being named 1973 Woman of the Year by Illinois Business and Professional Women, and in 1982, receiving the Distinguished Alumna Award from both of her alma maters. She served on many boards, including Planned Parenthood of the Chicago Area and the Elmhurst College Board of Trustees. She also served on the board to develop the Davidson retirement community that became The Pines. Through most of her retirement, she maintained residences in both Davidson and in Hinsdale, Ill., and was a talented and devoted member of bridge clubs in both communities. She is survived by her son, Colin Robert Campbell Dyer (Janet), 200 Sedelia Dr., Bessemer City, NC 28016-9752; daughter, Erwin “Wynn” Avery Graham (Michael); former daughter-in-law, Marsha Dyer Kelly (Chuck); granddaughter, Leigh Avery Dyer; grandsons, Campbell Robert Dyer (Jen), Kelly Irl Dyer (Anna), Galen Avery Graham (Amanda), William Erwin Reid Graham ’02, Robert “Ted” Edward Graham, and Kevin Milas Dyer; great-grandsons, Luke Campbell Robert Dyer and Finn Winston Dyer; and great-granddaughters, Ivy Greer Dyer and Brooke Elizabeth Dyer. Memorials may be made to the Erwin Scholarship or the Erwin Lodge Foundation, both c/o Davidson College, Box 7168, Davidson, NC 28035-7168.
Thomas Franklin Morrison, Jr. ’38, of Asheville, N.C., died Apr. 14 at the N.C. Baptist Home. Mr. Morrison was a native of Concord, was a son of the late Thomas F. Morrison, Sr. and Oreen Cozart Morrison, and was married to the late Sara Dillard Morrison. He was a graduate of Davidson College and N.C. State University and was a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity. Mr. Morrison served as a captain with the U.S. Army during WW II and was a member of the Asheville First Presbyterian Church. He is survived by his daughter, Molly Morrison Steel (Charles), 3317 Devon Rd., Durham, NC 27707-4517; his son, Thomas F. Morrison III; a sister, Leila Morrison Haw; four grandchildren, Joseph Kendall Cook, Jr., Mary Mimi Cook, Elizabeth Morrison, and Thomas F. Morrison IV; and his special friend, Doris VanArsdale.
John F. Doty, Sr. ’39 died Apr. 8 at his home in Winter Haven, Fla.. Born in Kyles Ford, Tenn., on Oct. 10, 1917, he came to Winter Haven from Rogersville, Tenn., in 1954. He was the retired founder of Doty Farm and Garden Supply. He was active in the community, having belonged to Kiwanis, Elks Club, Chamber of Commerce, and American Legion. He was an active member of First Presbyterian Church for many years and served as an elder. He was a veteran of WWII, having served as first lieutenant. Mr. Doty was preceded in death by his wife, Anne G. Doty, a daughter, Frances Doty Hart, a brother, Roy A. Doty, and a sister, Ruth Doty Wheeler. He is survived by his brother, Dr. Robert D. Doty; three sons, J. Fred Seabolt-Doty, John F. Doty, Jr., William R. Doty (Cathy); three daughters, Barbara A. Doty, Susan Doty Griffis (Tom), and Helen D. Doty, 124 E. Lake Deer Dr. S.W., Winter Haven, FL 33880-2250; 13 grandchildren; 20 great-grandchildren; one great great-grandchild; numerous nieces and nephews; as well as dear family friend and longtime bookkeeper, Alpha Howe.
Philip H. Garrou ’40, of Valdese, N.C., died Apr. 20, at his residence after a period of declining health. Mr. Garrou was born Nov. 22, 1919, in Burke County to the late Henry Francis and Bessie Rector Garrou. He was a faithful member of the Waldensian Presbyterian Church, the Mimosa Hills Country Club, and the LPDA. Philip was an avid outdoorsman, gentleman farmer, and had a great love for hunting and fishing. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II serving with the 737th Tank Battalion as part of General Patton’s Tank Corps. Mr. Garrou retired from Alba-Waldensian as vice president of manufacturing with more than 44 years of service. Surviving are two brothers, Victor Garrou (Ann) and Dr. Ben W. Garrou (Annette), 808 Gardiol Ave. N.E., Valdese, NC 28690; a sister, Margaret Heilman; a stepdaughter, Sandra Labbitt (Gary); two stepsons, Steven Stump and Spencer Stump (Rosie); a brother-in-law, Dan Picou; four step-grandchildren; one step-great-grandchild; and a number of nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his first wife, Florence Warren Garrou; his second wife, Vivian Stump Garrou; brothers, Albert Garrou and Edward Garrou ’42; his sisters, Marie Wilson and Anita Picou; brothers-in-law, Harvey Wilson and John Heilman; and sisters-in-law, Doris Garrou and Audrey Garrou.
Victor R. Hollis, Jr. ’40 died on Feb. 27 after a long illness. He was born Nov. 10, 1917, in Atlanta, Ga., and raised in Sautee, Ga. He served as a first lieutenant in the South Pacific during WWII. For over 33 years he was an official of the Tampa FHA office, where he was its service office supervisor during the five years prior to his retirement. He became a member of Palma Ceia United Methodist Church in 1970, was an invaluable member of its Chancel Choir, and held many leadership positions over the years. He is survived by his sister, Janie H. Kalaf (Dr. Walter N. Kalaf), 1048 Northshore Dr. N.E. Apt. 3, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701; his niece, Lisa Kalaf; his nephew, John W. Kalaf; and great-nephews, John Kalaf, Jr., Robert Kalaf, and Christopher Kalaf.
Dr. Hugh Hiter Willis, Jr. ’40, of Penhook, Va., died peacefully Feb. 17 at CareSource Hospice in Salt Lake City, Utah, following complications of a stroke. Dr. Willis was born into a farming family and raised in Culpeper, Va. He attended Davidson for three years, but dropped out when family money became scarce. He later finished his undergraduate studies at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II as a communications officer on a destroyer in the North Atlantic and off North Africa, and later as a fighter pilot in the Pacific and in Japan. After military service, he attended the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in Philadelphia and completed his internship at Pennsylvania Hospital. Dr. Willis moved to Chatham, Va., in 1952 to practice medicine with his sister, Dr. Betty Whitehead, and her husband, Dr. Cary Whitehead. He retired at age 79. With his first wife, Mary Eleanor “Meg” Gassaway Willis, Dr. Willis raised four children. Meg died of cancer in 1969. Dr. Willis’ greatest passion was for competitive sailboat racing. He enjoyed the beach and spent many happy hours crabbing with his young children in the Chesapeake Bay and surf casting or deep-sea fishing in the Atlantic Ocean. He also loved gardening and dancing. In 2002, Dr. Willis moved from Chatham to his beloved cottage at Smith Mountain Lake, where he enjoyed boating, bird-watching, gardening, reading in front of a roaring fire, and tinkering in his workshop. He was especially fond of visits from and trips to visit his children and grandchildren. In January 2008, Dr. Willis moved to a residential facility in Salt Lake City, Utah. He is described as a humble, gentle, and kind man who was highly respected in the community. He was a member and past president of the Danville-Pittsylvania Academy of Medicine, a member of the American Medical Association, a founding member and past commodore of the Virginia Inland Sailing Association, and a supporter and assistant Scoutmaster of the Boy Scouts of America. He is survived by his second wife, Juanita Hughes Willis, who resides in a nursing home in Durham, N.C.; his sisters, Dr. Betty Whitehead and Alice Mease; his son, Hugh Willis III, 503 Edney Ridge Rd., Greensboro, NC 27408; his son Gerrish; his daughters, Sally Willis and Nell Twining; his step-daughters, Nita Gay Gladstone and Sarah Ford Bryson; 12 grandchildren and step-grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Horace Miller Sproull, Jr. ’41, of Anniston, Ala., died at his residence on Jan. 30 following a lengthy illness. Mr. Sproull, a native of Anniston, was born the son of Horace Miller Sproull, Sr. and Sara Powers Sproull on Apr. 29, 1920. His mother died five days after giving birth. As a young boy, he was a member of the Boy Scouts of America and earned the Eagle Scout badge. He received his B.S. degree in economics from Davidson College, Davidson, N.C. While at Davidson, he was a member of the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity and the varsity tennis team. He joined the U.S. Navy in July of 1941 prior to Pearl Harbor. Following his graduation from midshipman school in 1942, he was assigned to the Pacific Theatre where he served during World War II, participating in six naval battles against Japan. He was honorably discharged as a lieutenant commander from the Navy in October 1946. Upon returning to Anniston he was made vice president of The Anniston Hardware Company. In 1947, he married Barbara Crook Vaden, and they had six children. Hee became the third generation president of The Anniston Hardware Company and The Gadsden Hardware Company, family owned businesses co-founded by his grandfather, James Creswell Sproull, in 1887. He was widely known as an astute businessman and civic leader. He retired from the hardware business in 1976 when the business was sold to a local group of investors. A lifelong member of The First Presbyterian Church, he was an elder and a deacon. He was a teacher of The Sam Russell Bible Class there for 30 years. He helped found and was president of The Soup Bowl, a charitable organization feeding the hungry. In the midst of the Civil Rights Era, he was instrumental in the formation of the biracial Anniston Human Relations Council, which President John F. Kennedy later touted “should serve as a guide and model for other communities throughout the United States.” During this period, he led the peaceful integration of the Liles Memorial Library, now the Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library. Mr. Sproull served as a director of the First National Bank of Anniston for 35 years, which later became the Southern Bancorporation, then Southtrust Bank, and now the Wachovia Bank. He founded the Anniston Federal Savings and Loan in 1953 with others and served as a director and chairman of the board. He was chairman of the Calhoun County Committee for Law and Order, chairman of the Industrial Development Committee of the Chamber of Commerce, and was instrumental in bringing new industry to Anniston and Calhoun County. He was elected finance commissioner for the City of Anniston and served from 1962–66. He helped found and build The Anniston Academy, a college preparatory school, and served as chairman of the board. The school later was named The Donoho School for which he was a director emeritus. His leisure-time activities included being an avid reader, a scratch golfer, an expert hunter, a world traveler, and a civilian pilot. He is survived by his wife, Barbara V. Sproull, 100 Raemon Dr., Anniston, AL 36207; children, James Creswell Sproull IV, Sara Sproull Choquette, Eva Abel Sproull, Hunt Miller Sproull (Susan Vinsant Sproull), Barbara Sproull Snow (Gary), and Horace Miller Sproull III (Joy Martin Sproull); grandchildren, James Creswell Sproull V, Drayton Allison Sproull, Paschal Trippe Sproull, Suzanne Sproull Choquette, Sara Catherine Choquette, Justin Hunt Sproull, Marie Louise Sproull, Eva Catherine Sproull, Chelsea Caroline Sproull, Logan Sproull Snow, Shannon Wimberly Snow, Vaughn Morton Stewart III, Houston Sproull Andrews, H. Miller Sproull IV, Wimberly Elisabeth Sproull, Holly Milliken Sproull, and Gabriel Sparks Sproull; and great-grandchildren, Lucienne Sproull, Hunter Jackson Sproull, Jackson Sproull, and Reagan Sproull.
Eugene Michael Vereen, Jr. ’41 died Apr. 6 at Woodlands Living Center in Moultrie, Ga. He was the son of the late Eugene M. Vereen and Wyolene Nance Vereen. He was a graduate of Davidson, where he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He was named a member of the 1941 “Senior Men of the Year” and was vice president of the North Carolina Collegiate Press Association. He had remained active with Davidson alumni and was named to the Davidson College Board of Visitors. After graduation, he was employed at Courts & Company, an investment banking and stock brokerage firm in Atlanta. In June 1942, he joined the U.S. Navy where he earned the rank of lieutenant commander, serving two years as the executive officer on the USS Shoshone. Returning to Moultrie after his military service, Vereen served as secretary and treasurer of the Moultrie Grocery Co. and was a sales representative for Riverside Manufacturing Co. in Georgia. He was a director of Riverside and of Moultrie Cotton Mills. In 1951, he purchased the Moultrie Insurance Company and served as its president until 1983. In 1971, Mr. Vereen founded and was the first president of the American Banking Co., which later became the first bank of ABC Bancorp. The Bancorp was organized in 1981 for bank expansion, and he served as its first board chairman. He also served as a member of the board of directors of each of the affiliated banks in their early stages. ABC Bancorp is now known as Ameris Bancorp and owns 45 bank branches in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and South Carolina. Parallel to his business prowess, he also served his community in many civic leadership roles. He was president of the Junior Chamber of Commerce and the Moultrie Chamber of Commerce. He also served as chairman of the Community Chest, which later grew into The United Way of Colquitt County. Vereen was president of Moultrie Rotary and was named a Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International in 1992. He served as president of the Moultrie Y.M.C.A., and served 10 years as a trustee of the Presbyterian Home in Quitman. His affiliation with First Presbyterian included serving as chairman of the board of deacons and as an elder. He also taught the Fellowship Class for seven years. He was married to the late Lauradine Baker Vereen, and is survived by his second wife, Nita P. Vereen, 52 Cherokee Rd., Moultrie, GA 31768; his sons, Eugene Michael Vereen III (Jennifer), John Cary Vereen (Azalee), and Douglas Davidson (Lisanne); daughters, Ellen Vereen Rumble (Theo), Joan Vereen Stallings, and Leigh Ann Davidson Adler (John); and grandchildren, Laura Marie Rumble, Gena Vereen Rumble, Erica Lauradine Stallings, Jonathan T. Stallings, Eugene Michael Vereen IV, Carsen Q. Vereen, Brooks McLean Vereen, John Cary Vereen Jr., Virginia Ann Vereen, Patrick Eugene Vereen, Donald M. Davidson, and James Steven Davidson.
James Wilson Kerr III ’42, of Easton, Md., died on Mar. 18 from complications of strokes. At the time of his death, he resided at the Charlotte Hall (Md.) Veterans Home. Mr. Kerr was a retired Army lieutenant colonel and nuclear physicist. Mr. Kerr was born to James Wilson Kerr and Laura Virginia Wright of Baltimore. He is survived by his wife, Janice Bain-Kerr, P.O. Box 1537, Easton, MD 21601; two children, April Kerr-Miller and Andrew A. Kerr, Sr. (Katherine); five grandchildren, Allison Almason (Steve), Diana K. Kerr, James Wilson Kerr V (Jennifer), Andrew A. Kerr, Jr., Graham Kerr, and his step-son, Alexander M. Bain; two great-grandchildren, Joseph Mitchell Almason and James W. Kerr VI. He is also survived by his sister, L.Virginia Tester. He was preceded in death by his parents; stepfather; a sister, Mary Bruce Jakway; his former wives, Mary Thomas Montgomery Kerr and June Lehman; daughter “Katie” Kerr Wood; and son, James Wilson Kerr IV. Donations may be made to the Davidson College Library, Box 7200, Davidson, NC 28035-7200.
William “Bill” E. MacLauchlin, Jr. ’42 died on Feb. 16 in the presence of his loved ones in Clermont, Fla. Born Aug. 15, 1921, in Columbia, S.C., he was the son of William Edward MacLauchlin, Sr., and Elizabeth Waddill MacLauchlin. He graduated from Columbia High School and Davidson College. After serving in the Fighting 69th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army from 1943–46, he earned an M.S.W. degree from Tulane University and became a counselor for the Y.M.C.A. in New Orleans, La. After the Y.M.C.A., Bill worked as a salesman for Moore Business Forms in New Orleans and in Montgomery, Ala. He then moved to Sanford, Fla., and achieved his longstanding goal to own a business, becoming president of Celery City Printing Co., Inc. He was a member of the board of the Printing Industries of Florida and served as president of the Graphic Arts Association of Central Florida. In 1983 he was named Central Florida Printer of the Year. He was also a member of the Seminole County Tourist Development Council, served as president of the Sanford Lions Club, served two terms as president of the Scottish American Society, and served one term as president of the Saint Andrews Society. In addition, Bill was chairman of the Seminole County School Advisory Committee, a director for the Central Florida Zoo, and served two terms as chairman of the Salvation Army Board. An active Presbyterian from birth, he served as Sunday School teacher, deacon, and elder of the First Presbyterian Church in Sanford, Fla. Bill is survived and dearly missed by his wife, Marilyn George MacLauchlin, 1713 Sunset Dr., Clermont, FL 34711-3451; his children, Ann Waddill MacLauchlin (William Lee Moore), Reid Clark MacLauchlin (Barrie Gillam MacLauchlin), Charles August George (Sarah Whittier Chabot), Catherine George Kyle (Mark Bryan Kyle), and Margaret George Ruddy (Shamus); his grandchildren, James Henry Moore, Kelli Ann MacLauchlin, Michael Emmett George, Gracie Maher George, Jolie Susanna Chabot, Jesse Chabot George, Seth William Rakow, Madeline Jane Ruddy, and Mallory Ruddy Robison (Adam); and his great-granddaughter, Barrie Brooke Rakow. Bill was preceded in death by his first wife, Ann Catherine Clark; his daughter, Lynn Bedford MacLauchlin; his sister, Ellen Kollock MacLauchlin; and daughter, Barrie George.
Dr. Eustace Henry Smith ’42, of Crossnore, N.C., passed away on Apr. 28. He was born a son of the late Rev. Roy Smith (Class of 1910) and Annie Cummins Sloop Smith. Dr. Smith was a graduate of Davidson College and the Medical College of Virginia. He served in the U.S. Navy during WWII in the South Pacific and was a member of the Medical Corps. He was a long-time member of the Crossnore Presbyterian Church, where he enjoyed singing in the choir and served as an elder. Dr. Smith’s dedication to his medical calling was evidenced by his care of patients in the community for more than 54 years. He also enjoyed spending time with his family, dancing, gardening, and farming. After his retirement, he enjoyed visiting and singing at the local hospital and nursing homes with his son, Jesse. In addition to his many contributions to area health care, Dr. Smith served on the Avery County Board of Education during the school consolidation resulting in the establishment of Avery County High School. He was active in the Chamber of Commerce and was instrumental in forming the first Christmas tree growers association in the county. Dr. Smith was a recipient of several prestigious awards including The North Carolina Order of the Long Leaf Pine and the John W. Kuykendall Award for Community Service given by Davidson College, as well as being honored by a Davidson scholarship fund to encourage students pursuing degrees to become family practitioners. The new Avery County Health Department was named in honor of him and his cousin, Dr. Emma Sloop Fink, with whom he practiced side-by-side for many years. Along with his parents, he is preceded in death by his first wife, Virginia Mildred Sutherland Smith; brothers, Roy Nelson Smith ’40 and John Guerrant Smith; and sister, Mary Emma Skinner. Left to cherish his memory are his wife, Clotta Parker Smith, P.O. Box 425, Crossnore, NC 28616; daughters, Catherine Smith Hartley and Martha Anne Smith Sharpe ’77 (Leo); sons, Eustace Henry Smith, Jr. (Cynthia) and Jesse Cummins Smith ’76 (Shirley); brothers, William Newton Smith and Rev. Franklin Smith ’49; grandchildren, Sarah Hartley Snow, Joshua Stephen Smith (Alexandria), Sharon Rebecca Smith, Nathaniel Franklin Smith, and Hannah Virginia “Ginny” Smith; and one great-granddaughter, Christina Sutherland Snow. In addition, his many nieces and nephews will also rejoice in the memory of his kind and gentle nature.
Harry “Ned” Edwin Pollock, Jr. ’43, of Charlotte, N.C., died on Apr. 1. He was born on Apr. 30, 1920, in Pittsburgh, Pa., the son of the late Harry Edwin Pollock and Sara Brockman Pollock. The Pollock family moved to Asheville, N.C., in June 1934. Mr. Pollock received his education at Asheville School, Staunton Military Academy, and Davidson College. He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the 2nd Infantry, landing at Utah Beach in France on D-day. For his valor he was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Verdun Medal, and the Presidential Unit Citation. He also served in the Korean War as head of the Heavy Weapons Department of the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Ga. After the war, Mr. Pollock returned to Asheville where he had been president of the Asheville Jr. Chamber of Commerce, board of directors of the Salvation Army, three-year chairman of the City Board of Elections, and was chairman of the successful bond referendum to allow jets to land at Asheville Municipal Airport. For nine years Mr. Pollock lived in Baltimore, Md., where he was president of sales and marketing for American Express Financial Advisors (now Ameriprise Financial), and in 1972 he moved to Charlotte where he finished his 30-year tenure as eastern regional VP of sales in 1983. Active in civic affairs, Mr. Pollock was president of Boys Town of North Carolina and Big Brothers of Charlotte, the board of visitors of Elon Home for Children, served seven years on the Airport Advisory Committee and founded the Charlotte Boxing Academy where he served as its executive director. His efforts helped produce a member of the 2000 U.S. Olympic Team. Mr. Pollock is survived by his wife, Eugenia “Gene” Wright Pollock, 2001 Meadowood Ln., Charlotte, N.C. 28211; a son, Harry Edwin Pollock III (Cathy); two grandsons, David Bauman Pollock and James Andrew Pollock; and one great-granddaughter. Mr. Pollock was preceded in death by his wife, Mary Bauman Pollock; his youngest son, Andrew Bauman Pollock; and his three sisters, Joan Pollock Beverly, Ruth Pollock Underwood, and Mary Pollock Austin.
Pastor Robert Lee Turner ’44 passed away Mar. 26 in Eden, N.C. Mr. Turner was born Dec. 29, 1919, in Leaksville, N.C., (now Eden) to the late John Tyler and Lillie Ann Martin Turner. He was a graduate of Leaksville High School, of Davidson College, and of Union Theological Seminary (1947) in Richmond, Va., where he earned his Bachelor’s of Divinity degree. Pastor Turner began his 60 years of service to his Lord during his fieldwork while in seminary, which included 17th Street Mission, Forest Hill Presbyterian Church, Neuse Forest, First Presbyterian Church (New Bern, N.C.), and the William Byrd Community House. After graduation from seminary he served in 12 churches, four of those he served twice, in the next 35 years. After his retirement he pastored five additional churches. Pastor Turner served as chaplain to the Loris Marching Lions in Loris, S.C., and for the Civil Air Patrol in Fayetteville. During Mr. Turner’s lengthy ministry he was honored to have performed 583 marriages. In the Rockingham County area he ministered to those attending the local nutrition sites and performed his “Hat Man” presentation. He was known as the “Fix-it Man” for anyone in need throughout his life, always seeming to come through with whatever was needed at just the right time. Surviving are his children, Tyler Trogdon Turner (Dena), Claire “Alyce” Turner Johnson (Kyle), Ruth “L’Vonne” Turner Parnell (Donnie), Terry Gordon Turner (Diane), and Miriam Elizabeth Turner Tobias (Ron); grandchildren, Robert Gordon Edge (Jennifer), Daniel Edge, Christopher Turner (Allison), Jennifer Turner (fiancé, Matthew Christopher Gee), Joshua Tobias, Calvin Tobias, and Hannah Tobias; two great-grandchildren, Christin and William Edge; and his beloved cat, “Dee Dee.” In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife of nearly 62 years, Cora Anne Trogdon Turner, and seven siblings, John Wallace Turner, Ila Ann Turner, Morris Edwin Turner, Walter Martin Turner, Lloyd Hunter Turner, Oscar Otis Turner, and Nell Gray Turner.
Dr. George R. Wilkinson, Jr. ’45, a lifelong resident of Greenville, S.C., and Cedar Mountain, N.C., died Mar. 19. He was born Feb. 11, 1924, the son of parents, Mary Lydia McAllister Wilkinson and Dr. George R. Wilkinson, Sr. Dr. Wilkinson dearly loved the people of the mountains of South Carolina, was a devoted physician to his patients, an avid reader, loyal alumnus to The McCallie School, Presbyterian College, and Johns Hopkins University, and was fiercely dedicated to his wife, children, grandchildren, and his animals. Dr. Wilkinson was the last surviving physician in the Wilkinson medical family, which began with his grandfather, Dr. James R. Wilkinson (1863–1935), who came to Greenville in 1888. Dr. Wilkinson’s own father, Dr. George R. Wilkinson, Sr., the first internist in South Carolina and president of the South Carolina Medical Board, practiced medicine from 1920–64 as well as his great-uncle, Dr. Henry Brookwood Wilkinson, and uncle, Dr. Louis Barr Wilkinson. Dr. Wilkinson was a graduate of The McCallie School; attended Davidson College for a year and a half; graduated from Presbyterian College, where he was student body president, president of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, and president of the Inter-fraternity Council. He did graduate study at University of Georgia and in 1949 graduated John Hopkins University School of Medicine at the top of his class. He did his internship and residency at The Foss Clinic at Geisinger Hospital in Danville, Pa., and a three-year fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. He also received a B.S. degree in medicine from the University of Minnesota. He served as the chief of the Department of Medicine for U.S. Army at Camp Leroy Johnson in New Orleans, La. In 1956 Dr. Wilkinson joined his father in private practice at the Wilkinson Clinic in Greenville. He later was appointed head internist at the Veterans Administration Clinic in Greenville, where he retired in 1998. Dr. Wilkinson was a member of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Faith Memorial Chapel, South Carolina Historic Society, Sons of Confederate Veterans, Greenville County Medical Society, Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity, and Retired Physicians Tuesday Morning Breakfast Group as well as many social organizations. He served as chairman for several years of Table Rock Laboratories, chairman of the board of Covington Grocery, and was a member of the internal medical staff of Greenville Memorial Hospital, South Carolina Medical Association, American Medical Association, and a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine. In 1995 Dr. Wilkinson fulfilled a lifelong dream and found the hospital his grandfather built in Soochow, China, now called Suzhou, and was appointed a director of that hospital. He and his wife, Millie, owned and operated Tall Pines Farm in Cleveland, S.C., and bred Angus beef cattle and American saddlebred horses, one of which won the world championships in 1979, named Winged Solo. He is survived by his wife of 63 years, Mildred Roper Wilkinson, 113 Ridgeland Dr., Greenville, SC 29601; his daughters, Richie Roper Wilkinson Bologni (John Louis Bologni), MaryEllen Wilkinson, and Milicent Anne Wilkinson; his sons, George Richard Wilkinson III and William McAllister Wilkinson; his 10 grandchildren, John Fabio Richard Bologni, George Richard Wilkinson IV, Thomas Albert Goode, Mary Lydia Wilkinson Fisher, William McAllister Wilkinson III, Anne Busche Wilkinson, Hayley Wilkinson Whatley, Max Edwin Whatley, Holly Roper Whatley, and Virginia Anne Hunt; one great-grandchild, Mary McAllister Fisher.
Archibald “Buck” W. Archer ’47, a long-term resident of Shelby, N.C., died Mar. 5 at Wendover Hospice following a short illness. He was born in 1922 in Charlotte, N.C., to the late Archibald W. and Mabel W. Archer. He was a partner in the J.L. Suttle Insurance Company, Inc., for 50 years, where he served as president until its sale to First Charter in 2000. Hecontinued as a consultant until his retirement in 2004. Archer was a graduate of Shelby High School, lettering in tennis, football, and basketball and spent one year at Darlington School in Rome, Ga. He was a graduate of Davidson College where he lettered in football and tennis, serving as captain of the tennis team in his senior year. He also served as editor of the annual at Davidson his senior year. His college years were interrupted by service during World War II where he served in the U.S. Army in the European Theater. Archer was an avid tennis player and enthusiast his entire life. He was ranked number one in the U.S. for two years in both singles and doubles in the age 55 division. Additionally, he represented the U.S. in a number of international cup matches—the Gordon Cup with Canada, the Austrian Cup, the Crawford Cup, and the Osuna Cup with Mexico, where he served as team captain for four years. He won the U.S.T.A. National Clay Court 55s Championship in both singles and doubles and won the U.S.T.A. National Clay Court 65s. He was inducted into the Southern Tennis Hall of Fame, the N.C. Tennis Hall of Fame, Davidson College Athletic Hall of Fame, and the Cleveland County Sports Hall of Fame. During the 1960s, Archer developed a junior tennis program in Shelby, which produced many fine amateur and professional players over the years. His community service was as extensive as his athletic accomplishments. Among his accomplishments, he headed the Industrial Development Committee of the Chamber of Commerce when key industries were recruited to Cleveland County and served as president of the Chamber and was on their board of directors for 18 years. Additionally, Archer chaired the fund-raising committee for the construction of the Cleveland County Memorial Library. He was a life-long member of the Shelby Presbyterian Church, where he served as deacon, elder, Sunday school superintendent, and was a member of the men’s Bible class. His special community service interest, however, was the Boys and Girls Club where he served as president and received service awards in 1984 and 1988. He was dedicated to their fund-raising efforts for more than 25 years and believed that all boys and girls deserved an opportunity to make something of themselves. Archer was preceded in death by his stepfather, James S. LeGette, and is survived by his wife, Patricia Maxwell Archer, 1358 E. Marion St., Shelby, NC 28150; their two daughters, Dr. Ann Gray Archer (Anderson Cobb) and Kay Archer Price (Kim S. Price); and four grandchildren, Grayson Archer Cobb, Quincy Archer Cobb, Archer Maxwell Price, and Avery McClure Price.
Dr. Edward Simmons Barnwell ’47, of Easley, S.C., and formerly of Greenville, S.C., died Jan. 24 at Foothills Presbyterian Community in Easley. Born in York, S.C., on Sep. 27, 1922, he was the son of the late James E. and Iva E. Brison Barnwell. A 1939 graduate of York High School, Dr. Barnwell majored in physics at Davidson College and earned a degree of D.D.S. from the Medical College of Virginia. He practiced for 36 years in Lewis Plaza, Greenville. While at Davidson, he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order, the physics honorary society, and Sigma Pi Sigma and Delta Sigma Delta at the Medical College of Virginia. He was past president of the Greenville County and Piedmont Dental Societies. He chaired the Piedmont District Dental Ethics Committee and the South Carolina Dental Association’s Ethics Committee. During his life, he was an active participant in Westminster Presbyterian Church, where he served as Sunday school teacher, deacon, treasurer, elder, clerk of session, member of the building council for sanctuary, and a choir member for 31 years. Dr. Barnwell served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Surviving are his wife, Nancy Dozier Barnwell, 205 Bud Nalley Dr., Easley, SC 29642-3570; two daughters, Mary Barnwell and Virginia Barnwell Maclure; a stepdaughter, Nancy Octavia Prevatt; a step-granddaughter, Kelsey Prevatt; and a brother, Eugene L. Barnwell ’41 (Belinda). He was preceded in death by a stepson, John Douglas Prevatt.
Wayne Williamson Gamble, Sr. ’48 died peacefully at home surrounded by family on Feb. 10. He was the son of Connie Williamson Gamble and Joseph Gillespie Gamble, Sr. He was educated in Davidson schools, Davidson College, and graduated from N.C. State with a B.S. degree in engineering. He joined the Air Force and was a skilled navigator during WWII, stationed in England, flying missions in Europe and Asia. He was later called to service during the Korean War. He returned to the U.S. and back to Davidson, N.C., where he met his bride-to-be of 51 years in Charlotte, N.C., Sue Moss. They married Jan. 6, 1957, at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Charlotte, N.C. He was employed by Package Products Co., WA Buening Engravers, and was a real estate broker during his professional life. Growing up on a farm, he had a great love of nature, birds, animals, and gardening, which was his hobby up to the day of Feb. 6, where he was in his yard, pruning for spring. Other hobbies included playing bridge. He was a self-taught computer expert and will always be remembered by his friends for his electronics ability and his many humorous emails. During January, he brought roses to his wife of 51 years on their anniversary and celebrated his 84th birthday with his brothers and family by his side at Red Rocks hosted by his son. He was a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, and brother to his family and loved by all of them. Wayne is survived by his wife of 51 years, Sue Moss Gamble, 432 Scofield Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28209; son, Bill Gamble; daughter, Elizabeth Bryant (Michael); granddaughter, Kristen Bryant; brothers, Joseph G. Gamble, Jr. ’38 and Wallace M. Gamble ’43; his special sister-in-law, Jo Moss Jones; as well as many nieces and nephews who were very special to him. He was preceded in death by three sisters, Laura Mae Gamble, Mary Emma Gamble, and Hilda Gamble Grosse.
Gene Ashton Purvis ’49, a resident of Belhaven, N.C., died Feb. 26 at Pitt County Memorial Hospital in Greenville, N.C. Mr. Purvis was born in Belhaven on Nov. 21, 1928, son of the late Julius H. and Sophronia Topping Purvis. He was a 1945 graduate of John A. Wilkinson High School in Belhaven. He served his country as a communications technician 2nd Class in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. Following his military service, Mr. Purvis attended Davidson College from 1945–47. He earned his B.S. and M.A. degrees from East Carolina University and continued his Ph.D. studies at UNC Chapel Hill and the University of Northern Colorado. Mr. Purvis was a teacher at John A. Wilkinson High School and served as principal from 1957–61. Following his high school teaching career, he transferred to Atlantic Christian College, now Barton College, as an associate professor from 1961 until his retirement in 1988. Survivors include a brother, Julius Henry Purvis, Jr. (Barbara), 371 Lamont St., Belhaven, NC 27810-1615; a niece, Julie P. Robinson; and her son, Casey.
David Reynolds Koontz ’50, of Burlington, N.C., died Feb. 20. Mr. Koontz was born Oct. 26, 1929, in Lexington, N.C. He was the son of David Kermit Koontz and Colleen Leonard Koontz, both deceased. David was a faithful member of Front Street United Methodist Church, where he served as an honorary member of the administrative board, a member of the Methodist men’s Bible study group, the Christian Service Scholarship Committee, the Helper’s Sunday school class, and past president of Front Street UMC Senior Citizens. He was an Eagle Scout and a graduate of Davidson College with a B.S. degree in business and economics. He holds a master’s degree in quantitative mathematics from UNC Greensboro (1972) and studied further at N.C. State University at Raleigh. Mr. Koontz was a Mason for 55 years, serving in many capacities and honored with several awards. Mr. Koontz served as a past president and chaplain of the Alamance Battleground Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), a past historian and genealogist emeritus of the North Carolina Society SAR, and a member of the Genealogical Society of Davidson County, N.C. He was a member of Wake County Historical Society and a trustee of Cherry Hill Foundation, Inez, N.C. Mr. Koontz was an avid genealogist of Davidson and Warren County, N.C., families and was instrumental in locating and obtaining the early German records of Frieden Lutheran Church. Mr. Koontz published “Johannes Kuntz Family in Davidson County” and transcribed and edited “Early Pilgrim German Records (Leonard’s Church).” Mr. Koontz was a special agent in the U.S. Army with counterintelligence corps (CIC) during the Korean War. When General Douglas McArthur spoke to the Mississippi State Legislature in January 1952, Mr. Koontz was one of the CIC agents who conducted a protective surveillance for General McArthur. Mr. Koontz worked in the hosiery industry for 18 years as an industrial engineer and retired from AT&T in 1989 with 19 years in industrial engineering, human resources, and contract engineering. He taught mathematics and economics for one year at Elon College and Alamance Community College. During his retirement he worked as an on-call assistant at Edward D. Jones. He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Mrs. Sara Elizabeth Davis Koontz, 518 Shadowbrook Dr., Burlington, NC 27215; a brother, Dick Koontz (Jan); three daughters, Sara Rebecca Koontz Lee (Barry), Deborah Reynolds Koontz Snider (David), and Cynthia Elizabeth Koontz Smith (Jerry); three grandsons, Chad Smith, Alex Snider, and Jeffrey Lee; and a granddaughter, Allyson Snider.
Richard A. Mills ’50, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., beloved husband, father, and grandfather, passed away Mar. 21 surrounded by his family. Richard was born on Nov. 10, 1928, in Toledo, Ohio, to Dr. Richard A. and Dorothy Mills. He moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1940. He graduated from Fort Lauderdale High School where he played football and was captain of the high school basketball team that won the 1946 Florida State Championship. Richard attended Davidson College in Davidson, N.C., where he played basketball and helped lead his team to victory against Duke University by scoring the tying and winning points of the game. He continued his education at the University of Florida in Gainesville, graduating with a pharmacy degree. He served in the U.S. Army Nike Guided Missile Corps from 1952–54. He was a pharmacist in Fort Lauderdale. He then became an investment banker and stockbroker with Merrill Lynch, retiring in 1998. Richard was active in the community as a past Fort Lauderdale City Commissioner. Due to his untiring service to the Fort Lauderdale community and in recognition of his contributions to recreation in the city, Mills Pond Park was renamed in his honor upon his retirement from the Commission. Richard and his wife spent summers at their home in Franklin, N.C., enjoying the beautiful mountains and their many cherished friends in Watauga Vista. Richard was a member of the First Presbyterian Church for over 60 years. Community involvement included: U.S. Navy League president, Broward County Planning Council, Broward County League of Cities, Florida State Welfare Board, Little League Coach for 15 years, Phi Delta Theta; Rotary Club; Stock and Bond Club; and Honored Founder, City of Fort Lauderdale (2003). Richard is survived by his wife, Christine Mills, 2727 N.E. 18th St., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305-3605; brother, Robert Mills ’71; children, Richard A. Mills III (Ann), Casey W. Mills, Cynthia Hoffmann (Gary), and Susan Gentile (Earl). He was the proud grandfather of six grandchildren, Andrew, Allie, Bradford, Valerie, Jackson, and Haley Rose.
William Archie Murphy ’50, of Tyler, Tex., was called home on Feb. 26 after fighting a courageous battle with cancer over the last 10 years. He was born on Dec. 6, 1928, in El Dorado, Tex., to Archie and Birdie Murphy. He graduated from El Dorado High School, attended Davidson College in North Carolina, and graduated magna cum laude from the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, where he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. Bill loved the Lord and was a member of Green Acres Baptist Church in Tyler, where he taught Sunday school and sang in the choir. Bill loved people and lived life to the fullest. He worked hard and played hard. He, along with his family members, originally owned Broadway Furniture Co., and later Murphy’s Furniture Gallery. He loved playing golf. He always kept up on current events and enjoyed playing the stock market. Family and friends alike enjoyed his quick wit and sense of humor. He won the respect of his family, as well as many friends, associates, and former customers. Bill was a member of the National Home Furnishings Association and a charter member of The Opus Cup, as well as belonging to other social organizations. Survivors include his wife, Cleone Murphy, 829 Colonial Dr., Tyler, TX 75701; his sons, William Scott Murphy (Marion) and Don Michael Murphy (Pam); his daughter, Kelly Murphy Hodge (Gary); “Dadoo’s” nine grandchildren, Daniel Murphy, Taylor Hodge, Matthew Murphy (Katie), Nicole Murphy, Clay Hodge, Ryan Murphy, Carly Hodge, Carson Murphy, and Lacey Murphy; his sister, Ruth Wilson (John); as well as many nieces and nephews.
Donald L. Sasser, Jr. ’50, of Columbus, N.C., passed away on Nov. 1.
William Fredrick Austin ’51 died Apr. 29 at home. “Willie” was born June 21, 1928, in Charlotte, N.C., to William Pharr and Willie Rose Austin. He was a 1946 graduate of Harding High and played in the 1945 Shrine Bowl. He attended Davidson College on a football scholarship and graduated from N.C. State University in industrial engineering. He was an Air Force veteran serving four years during the Korean conflict. Willie worked for Charlotte Pipe and Foundry for 37 years, retiring as senior VP of foundry operations in 1993. He loved working for what he said “was a great company with even greater people.” He was an avid golfer was part of the Fowler Group and the Neff Group. Willie loved spending time with his children and grandchildren. He especially cherished the time he spent with his wife, Minnie, in their mountain home watching her garden flowers and plants grow. They shared many special moments together. Willie was a sweetheart of a man, kind and gentle to all who knew him. He will be missed. Willie was preceded in death by his wife of 50 years, Minnie Besser. He is survived by his daughter, Cynthia Redman, and grandchildren, Lucas and Ellie; son, William F. “Rick” Austin Jr., and grandson, Will, 7512 Hurstbourne Green Dr. #D, Charlotte, NC 28277-2506; daughter, Allison Olive (Lee Olive), and grandchildren, Allee, Austin, and Addis; sister, Sue Galayda (George); and sister, LaRue Dill.
Harry Edward “Ed” Hilliard ’52, of Greenwood, S.C., died Mar. 8. Born in Little Rock, Ark., Mar. 15, 1930, he was a son of the late Harry E., Sr. and Ellen Copeland Hilliard. He was a graduate of Davidson College and retired from Smith Kline & French Laboratories, Inc. Mr. Hilliard was a member of Main Street United Methodist Church. He is survived by his daughter, Debra H. Heath, 2001 Chatham Ave., Charlotte, NC 28205-3631: daughters, Lane H. Hood and Connie H. Blanton; a sister, Flo H. Young; and four grandchildren.
John Walker Jervis ’52, of Gulf Breeze, Fla., passed away Dec. 24, 2005, at his children’s home, surrounded by loving family. John was born March 15, 1930, in Atlanta, Ga., later moving to Gross Pointe, Mich., where he attended Gross Pointe High School. Upon graduation, he attended Davidson College in Davidson, N.C., pursuing a degree in forestry, and after two years transferred to Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, where he lettered in baseball. Following a tour of duty in the U.S. Marine Corps, John completed his degree in industrial engineering, graduating from ISU in 1957. It was there he met his future wife, best friend, and soul mate, Arlene Smith. John first worked for Conoco Pipeline, and moved his family to Gulf Breeze, Fla., in 1964 to begin his distinguished career with Chemstrand and Monsanto. John was instrumental in the formative process of the city of Gulf Breeze as we know it today. His long time participation on the city planning board and his hand in the creation and implementation of the Green Belt ordinance has helped preserve and enhance the city’s appearance since the mid-60s. John pushed for and helped create the first girl’s softball league in Gulf Breeze, serving as the original league commissioner, and coached many a boy’s little league baseball team, most notably the 1965 Kansas City Chiefs, along with good friend John Duntz. He loved the game of golf, and especially enjoyed the days spent cruising across Santa Rosa Sound on his boat with his wife, children, and grandchildren. A gentle man, first-class gentleman, and the best father anyone could ever have, John was highly respected by everyone he met, and was especially known for his wit and remarkable sense of humor. He is survived by his loving wife of 48 years, Arlene Smith; his daughter, Susan Jervis Kennedy (Gary), 1631 Monet Dr., Gulf Breeze, FL 32563; his daughter, Julie Jervis Crowell; grandchildren, Kadee Kennedy and Cameron and John Cobb; nephew, David Jervis; and niece, Elizabeth Ward.
Reverend Monsignor William Neal Pharr ’53, of Charlotte, N.C., passed away on Apr. 5 at his residence at Sharon Towers. He was born on Feb. 24, 1931, son of the late William Neal Pharr and Anne McLaughlin Heath Pharr. He became interested in Catholicism while a student at Belmont Abbey Prep from 1946–49. His interest deepened in the next few years and he became a Catholic in 1952 while a student at Davidson College. After graduation from Davidson, he began studies for the priesthood at Christ the King Seminary in St. Bonaventure, N.Y. He was ordained a priest at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Charlotte on May 26, 1960. Father Pharr spent his first year as a priest with the Missionary Fathers Apostolate as an assistant at St. John’s in North Wilkesboro. He then served as an assistant at St. Leo parish in Winston-Salem when he became temporary administrator of St. Charles parish in Ahoskie. Father Pharr became an assistant at St. Eugene’s in Asheville. He served there until he became pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes in Monroe and Sacred Heart in Wadesboro. Father Pharr also served as pastor of St. Benedict the Moor and Our Lady of Fatima Chapel in Winston-Salem, St. James in Concord, Immaculate Conception parish in Hendersonville, as well as serving as chaplain and director of Our Lady of the Hills Camp near Hendersonville, a vicar for religious of the Diocese and director of the Diocesan Planning Council and the development of parish pastoral councils. The late Pope Paul VI appointed him a Prelate of Honor in October 1976 with the title of Monsignor. Monsignor Pharr was appointed pastor of St. Pius X in Greensboro. He later served as pastor of Our Lady of Grace in Greensboro, vicar of the Greensboro Vicariate, was named to the Diocesan Seminarian Formation Committee twice, pastor of Our Lady of Consolation parish in Charlotte, and pastor of Saint Vincent parish in Charlotte. After his retirement in July 2001, Monsignor Pharr continued to assist in various parishes and ministries in the Diocese of Charlotte.
Dr. Grant L. Beardsley ’54, of Placida, Fla. and formerly of Miami, Fla., died Mar. 13, 2007. Dr. Beardsley was born Jan. 8, 1933, and was raised in Dunedin, Fla. He graduated from Darlington School in Rome, Ga., and earned his bachelor of arts degree in English from Davidson College in North Carolina. He joined the Air Force as a jet instructor for the T-33 and F-86. He retired as a major in the Air Force Reserve. After serving six years in the Air Force, he returned to school at the University of Miami School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, where he received his master’s and Ph.D. degrees. He did past research on the biology of the dolphin-fish and behavioral studies of pink shrimp. Dr. Beardsley joined the National Marine Fisheries Center, Miami Laboratory (NOAA), and was program manager of the Oceanic Game Fish Investigations and the Atlantic bluefin tuna program. He retired as a senior scientist in 1990. He is survived by his wife, Sue Beardsley, 13044 Via Cassia, Placida, FL 33946; daughters, Lynn Mitchell and Lauren; sons, Grant III and Michael; a sister, Alice Beardsley-Garber; and four grandchildren.
Thomas Oscar Mann ’57, of Charlotte, N.C., died peacefully at home Feb. 28 surrounded by loved ones. He was born Nov. 29, 1934, in Neptune Beach, Fla., to the late Charles and Martha Mann. Tom grew up in Jacksonville, Fla., where he attended and graduated from The Bolles School. He then spent two years at Davidson College where he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity. He graduated from Florida State University with a degree in business administration. During his time at FSU he served two years in the U.S. Army in Okinawa, Japan, teaching scuba, swimming, and first aid and fostering a love of the ocean that continued throughout his life. He received his captain’s license and spent several seasons bare-boating throughout the Caribbean and racing sailboats on Lake Norman. After college, Tom began his 26-year career with Aetna in Jacksonville, Fla., where he married Ruth Dale Reynolds in 1961. They moved to Hartford, Conn., where his two daughters were born. The family then moved to Charlotte, N.C. After retiring from Aetna, he joined Cameron Harris Company managing the group benefits department. He was a member of Ducks Unlimited and enjoyed many years of hunting and fishing with friends at Camp Bryan, N.C. Tom was a member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church where he served as an elder, was on the Council of Community Ministries, chaired the Community Ministries Committee, and travelled on a mission trip to Brazil. He was an active member on the board of the Emergency Winter Shelter and the board of Crisis Assistance Ministries where he received the Shirley Henry Award for outstanding volunteer service. Tom also chaired the building of a house for Habitat for Humanity, and worked with Loaves and Fishes food pantry. Tom is survived by his two daughters, Tracy Larson (Brad) and Ashley Martin (Michael); stepsons, Dawson Rhoad (Jill) and Matt Rhoad (Christie); grandchildren, Kevin Martin, Davis Martin, Grant Larson, and Gray Larson; four step grandchildren; and a brother, Reverend Charles Mann ’53 (Eleanor). He was preceded in death by his second wife, Virginia Duvall Mann, and infant son, Kirby Russell Mann.
Cecil Max Bryan ’58, of Concord, N.C., died Feb. 9, 2004, at NorthEast Medical Center. Born Aug. 25, 1936, in Sampson County, N.C., Mr. Bryan was the son of the late Della Atkins Parker and Cecil Bryan. He was the assistant director of the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and a member of First Baptist Church. Survivors include his wife, Kathryn Jackson Bryan; one son, David Parker (Delores Bryan); two daughters, Kathy Bryan (Todd Saieed) and Tracey May (Eric Walker); and six grandchildren.
L. Anderson “Andy” Hamilton ’58, of Bremerton, Wash., died Mar. 12, 2007, at his home. He was born June 13, 1936, in Washington, D.C., to Clem and Anna Foster Hamilton. He graduated from George Washington High School in Alexandria, Va., in 1954, attended Davidson College in Davidson, N.C., and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy. He earned a bachelor’s degree of science and a master’s degree in mechanical engineering from naval postgraduate school in Monterey, Calif. On June 17, 1961, he married Carol Itschner in Arlington, Va. Mr. Hamilton served in the Navy from 1961 to 1988, reaching the rank of captain. Survivors include his wife, Carol; his sons, Ed Hamilton (Sarah) and Stu Hamilton (Melissa); his sisters, Betty Cranwell and AnnaGail Blatt; and four grandchildren.
The Rev. Harry Owen Paschall ’58, of Hawthorne, Fla., died Apr. 27, 2006, at the VA Medical Center in Gainesville, Fla. He was born June 27, 1932, in Plant City, Fla., to Raymond and Rose Paschall. He was an honor graduate of Plant City High School, Class of 1950. He was a Korean War-era veteran, who served in Germany as a technical sergeant in the U.S. Air Force. He graduated from Davidson College, N.C., where he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He received a bachelor of divinity degree from Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Austin, Texas. He served Presbyterian churches in Texas, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and New Jersey. While at the First Presbyterian Church of Inverness, Fla., he also served a term as the president of the Citrus County Retarded Children’s Association and helped to dedicate the campus and first school building at the Key Training Center. For his leadership, he was named Outstanding Citizen of Inverness for 1968. Rev. Paschall did postgraduate work at Princeton Theological Seminary after leaving Inverness in 1969. Throughout his career, he enjoyed a number of teaching opportunities: he taught at the Pen Rye County Day School near Philadelphia, Pa., was an instructor at the Adult Education Center in Trenton, N.J., and was director of the learning lab at the Ford truck plant in Louisville, Ky. Survivors include, his sons, Charles Frederick Paschall (Susan) and Christopher Owen Paschall; two grandchildren, Julie Anne and Andrew Owen Paschall; three sisters, Doris Howze, Virginia Moorhead, and Helen Foreman; one brother, Dr. Homer A. Paschall; and many nieces and nephews.
Tenney I. Deane Jr. ’59, of Quincy, Fla., passed Apr. 5 at his home. He was a graduate of Gadsden High School, where he played the trumpet in the band and was also on the football team. He was a graduate of Davidson College, where he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. He also served in the U.S. Army as captain. He worked at Irving Trust Co. in New York, and was also associated with the Fireman Mutual/Allendale Insurance Co. He served as the first Republican and youngest cabinet member in modern times as secretary of commerce and later chaired the commission of low level waste disposal and the public utilities commission in North Carolina. Tenney worked in the political campaigns of Richard Nixon in 1968 as advance man and helped his college friend Gov. Jim Holshouser ’56 in his campaign for governor of North Carolina. He was a longtime member of the Quincy Rotary club and was presently serving as lieutenant governor of Rotary. He was very active also in the Boy Scouts, the Quincy Music Theater, where he served on the board, the Salvation Army, and helped find the Guy A. Race Men’s Club (Guy’s Guys). Tenney also was privileged to have spent a month in Iraq as a civilian observer for an Iraqi organization. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Quincy and served as Sunday school teacher, choir member, and deacon. He is survived by his wife, Marsha Henry Deane, 244 Glory Rd., Quincy, FL 32352; sons, Tenney Deane III ’86 (Jodi), William Van Liere Deane (Amy), and Henry Luce Deane; daughter, Lydia Ingalls Deane; brother, Bill Deane ’61 (Carol); sister, Nancy Deane (Henry Dumville); mother, Millicent Sirmons Deane Thomason; and four grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his father, Rev. Tenney I. Deane, Sr.
Dr. Charles I. Loftin III ’59, of Roanoke, Va., died on Apr. 24 after a courageous three-year battle with cancer. He retired last November from 37 years of practice with Internal Medicine Associates. He was a graduate of Davidson College and the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. He did a general medicine internship at the Medical College of Georgia followed by two years of service as a captain in the Air Force medical corps at Langley Air Force Base. He completed an internal medicine residency at the Bowman Gray School of Medicine. He was a member of the Roanoke Valley Medical Society, the Medical Society of Virginia, and the American Society of Internal Medicine. He was a member of Second Presbyterian Church where he served as deacon, elder, youth leader, Sunday school teacher, and member of the Chancel Choir. He had also sung with the Roanoke Valley Choral Society, the St. John’s choir, and the Opera Roanoke Chorus. He was a past president of the Arthritis Foundation and a founding board member of the Pastoral Counseling Center. He was on the current board of Opera Roanoke. His great loves were his family, his church, his patients, his music, and his garden. A vase of his beloved roses was always on his office desk. He was the son of the late Carolyn Highsmith and Charles I. Loftin, Jr., of Gastonia, N.C. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Alice Chatham Loftin, 2429 Richelieu Ave. S.W., Roanoke, VA 24014; his daughter, Catherine Loftin ’87 (Robert Tracy Odum Jr. ’86); son, Christopher Gwyn (Holly Bradshaw Loftin); and four grandchildren, Evelyn Gwyn Loftin, Charles Alexander Loftin, Alice Dean Odum, and Catherine Charles Odum. He is also survived by two brothers, David Highsmith Loftin and Bruce Watkins Loftin.
Joel H. Braswell ’60, an environmentalist and admirer of the colors of nature and animals—bears especially—died of colon cancer Apr. 15 in his Houston, Tex., home. Joel Braswell was born Apr. 11, 1939, in Atlanta, Ga., the son of Markley Braswell and Virginia Queen Braswell. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Davidson College in North Carolina, a master’s degree in zoology and a doctorate in botany from the University of Georgia, and an M.B.A. from the University of Houston. In the early 1960s, Joel was on active duty with the Navy in the Atlantic and took part in the blockade during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He attained the rank of captain in the reserves. He came to Houston in 1980 and worked with an environmental company before joining Williams Pipeline Co. He had a role in donating several miles of pipeline to help provide water for a wetlands restoration program in Oklahoma that became the Hackberry Flat Wildlife Management Area, near Frederick in southwest Oklahoma, a feeding and resting point for thousands of prairie birds that offers an array of outdoor experiences for nature lovers. Joel Braswell also enjoyed introducing his sons to the wilderness areas of Alaska, Wyoming, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. He especially liked photographing bears of all kinds. Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Sandra South Braswell, 13707 Welham Hester Cir., Cypress, TX 77429-6809; sons, Joel Braswell (Jeri) and Mark Braswell (Michelle); grandchildren, Julianne, Matt, and Mary; and brothers, Bob Braswell and Mark Braswell.
James Craig Clark, Jr. ’61, of Belmont, N.C., passed away Mar. 23. Jimmie was born in West Palm Beach, Fla., and moved to Charlotte in 1957. As a young man, he played in the Shrine Band. He retired from teaching after 30 years in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School system. He enjoyed golf, playing clarinet, and watching his grandsons play soccer. Jimmie is preceded in death by his parents, James C. Clark, Sr. and Mary Willie Moody Clark; and his sister, Nell Clark Byrd. He leaves behind his daughter, Mary Ellen Edwards (Doug), 7331 Pawtuckett Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28214, and their two sons, Clark and Austin, and extended family in Georgia.
David Nesbit Edwards, Jr. ’61 died Mar. 24 in the company of his family. He was born to Sadye and Nesbit Edwards on May 26, 1939. He attended R.J. Reynolds High and graduated from Davidson College with a degree in English. He participated in the ROTC program but deferred his commission until earning his J.D. from Duke University in 1964. He was stationed as captain in El Paso, Tex., for several years. Finding law practice uninspiring at first, he took a position as director of field experience at Elmira College in New York. He was a trumpet player and met his wife, Marcia, while playing in the Elmira Symphony. They married in December 1972 and lived in North Carolina where they raised their two daughters. He worked for the University of North Carolina General Administration for 28 years until he took early retirement from his position as senior associate vice president for legal affairs in November 2001. He loved music and was a member of the Westminster Presbyterian Church choir. He also served as deacon and elder at the church. He was a long-term member in the Gideons International organization and previously held the positions of president and chaplain of the Durham South Camp. After the commencement of his treatment for multiple myeloma, he felt compelled to share his faith, and so became an ordained lay pastor, committing his service to his small congregations. Some of his greatest joys were recounting stories of past times and reconnecting with old friends. He was pleased to have attended his 50th high school reunion in 2007. He was an avid Duke basketball fan and was rarely seen to raise his temper save for Duke games. He is survived by his wife, Marcia B. Edwards, 2 Breton Pl., Durham, NC 27707; daughters, Holly Edwards ’00 and Lisa Pascoe ’97 (Alan); and his sister, Martha Barringer (Paul).
Lieutenant Colonel (retired) John Landrine Eggers ’63, of Burke, Va., died Mar. 2 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. He was born in Boone, N.C., Nov. 15, 1941, a son of the late Dr. Graydon P. Eggers and Daisy Williams Eggers. Colonel Eggers graduated from Appalachian High School in Boone, N.C., and held a B.S. degree in chemistry from Davidson College. Colonel Eggers held an M.S. degree in organic chemistry from Clemson University, and an M.S. degree in management information systems from George Washington University. During his 24 years in the U.S. Army, Colonel Eggers had tours of duty in Vietnam, Germany, Korea, Wake Island, various U.S. installations, and the Pentagon. He was a graduate of the Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kans., and the Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va. At the time of his death he was working as a management consultant specializing in cost analysis. Colonel Eggers is survived by his wife of 44 years, Vivian Bullock Eggers, 10097 Marshall Pond Rd., Burke, VA 22015-3732; a daughter, Lisa Daimar Eggers; a brother, Graydon P. Eggers, Jr. (Carolyn); his mother-in-law, Margie C. Bullock; and an aunt, Mary Williams Taylor.
Richard A. Whitfield III ’64, of Attleboro, Mass., died unexpectedly on Aug. 19, 2007, in the Central Maine Medical Center in Bridgton, Maine. He was the devoted husband of 43 years of Elizabeth (Howard) Whitfield. He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., a son of the late Richard A. Whitfield, Jr. ’33 and Janet E. Whitfield. He was a lifelong resident of Attleboro and a graduate of Attleboro High School, with the Class of 1960. He graduated from Davidson, and then served as a first lieutenant with the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. He served on the board of directors of the YMCA and the former Attleboro-Pawtucket Savings Bank, and was a director and past president of the Community Health Agency, all in Attleboro. He was president of W.E. Richards Company of Attleboro until the company closed and he retired in 2002. He was an active fundraiser for the United Way of Attleboro and a former member of the board of directors of the Jewelers Board of Trade. He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth H. Whitfield, 15 Woodland Ln., Attleboro, MA 02703-6412; one son, William D. Whitfield ’89 (Laura); a daughter, Deborah W. Wiese III (Peter); a sister, Barbara W. Genge; and five grandchildren, Matthew, Brian, and Sarah Whitfield, and Hannah and Mason Wiese.
Edgar L. “Garee” Thomas, M.D. ’69, distinguished vitreoretinal surgeon and partner of Retinas Vitreous Associates, passed away April 14 at his home in Santa Monica, Calif. He was born Mar. 5, 1948. He is survived by his wife, Beth Quillen Thomas, 1202 San Vicente Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90402-2104; daughters, Amanda, Bethany, and Emily; brother, Gregg Thomas (Cathy); sister, Mary Volland (Lorrie); nephews, Bryan Thomas and Marc and Erik Volland; and niece, Jess Erin Thomas.
Elizabeth Carol Yarema ’91, of Hereford, Md., died of a pulmonary embolism at her home on Feb. 28. She was 38. Born in Baltimore and raised in Sparks, she was a 1987 graduate of St. Paul’s School for Girls, where she was yearbook editor and contributed to the school’s literary magazine and newspaper. She received the Trustee Award, given to a student with “outstanding character, good citizenship, and who contributes with service to the community.” Ms. Yarema earned an English degree at Davidson and graduated from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1995. She worked at the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office Domestic Violence Unit and later established a practice in Hereford. She focused on family law and believed in solving issues by mediation. She was also associated with a Timonium law firm, Mister Winter & Bartlett. “She was my right hand and handled all my leases,” said her father, developer Carl Yarema, also of Hereford. Ms. Yarema was involved with the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Maryland State Bar Association. Ms. Yarema applied her skills to assist clients in resolving difficult family law matters such as divorce and custody disputes. An active alumna of St. Paul’s School for Girls, she served for three years as a mentor to the Baltimore Girls School Leadership Coalition, a group of six area girls schools. Ms. Yarema led discussion groups to develop leadership skills and to provide encouragement to young women to help them build confidence. In her spare time, she enjoyed reading, photography, scrapbooking, hiking, and travel. She is survived by her parents, Carl J. and Eleanor McGinnis Yarema, 705 Indian Spring Court, Sparks, MD 21152; a brother, C.J. Yarema; and a niece and nephew.