Please refer to the "Supervisors of Students" section of Inside Davidson for the most up-to-date information.
Departmental student employee positions are posted online. Those students receiving a financial aid package with an employment award will continue to be processed and assigned through the Financial Aid Office.
Hiring a Student Employee:
1. Post positions using the jobs website. Click on the “Supervisor Site” link and login. From there, you will be able to search job templates or create job postings based on previous postings.
2. Create/edit the job and submit to HR for approval.
3. Once posted, you will receive student applications and can hold interviews.
4. Complete the hiring process online for those students whom you wish to have work for you, and send an e-mail to unqualified students thanking them for their interest. Please send HR the completed Student Employment Authorization Form (available on Inside Davidson) so they can begin the Banner process and take the position off the website.
5. Once you hire a student, there are forms that must be completed BEFORE they can begin working in your department. Please ask the student come by the HR Office to complete these forms (I9 Employment Eligibility Form and Direct Deposit).
International Students: Foreign Nationals on non-immigrant visas are strictly limited in their ability to work. Employment is permitted based on visa classification or by receiving special permission from DHS. Students with an F-1 Visa are allowed to work 20 hours per week while school is in session or full time when classes are not in session. Special forms are needed before they can begin working, so please have them report to the HR Office as soon as possible.
Pay: Students will log time using Banner Self-Service. Students are paid on the 15th of each month. First pay date is October 15th for September and any hours they worked in August. Timesheets are due by the 6th of each month for the previous month’s hours. Timesheets must be submitted and approved by noon on the Monday following the pay period end date.
Students assigned to your department through the Financial Aid Office are able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
Student Employee Evaluations: Students and their supervisors will be evaluated based on performance informally and formally throughout the year. Students are expected to follow Davidson College policies and standards of performance as stated in the Employee Handbook. The Supervisor's Evaluation of Student Employees (pdf) should be completed and returned to the Human Resources Office in May.
Discipline Policy/Procedures: Students are expected to adhere to the same standards as regular staff regarding attendance and conduct within the department. Be sure to have detailed expectations of the student from the beginning to minimize conflicts. If the student’s behavior warrants action, progressive disciplinary steps will be taken – a verbal warning, a written warning, and/or termination from employment.