Sophos Anti-Virus must be installed on all student-owned Macintosh computers connecting to the campus network. These instructions are for students, but will also apply broadly to any install of Sophos. If you are a campus employee looking to install Sophos on your personal machine, you should download and install Sophos' free home edition.
BEFORE BEGINNING: Before you start this procedure, your machine must be named correctly. Open Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sharing, and in the Computer Name field, enter your College user name. If you do not name your machine correctly, Sophos installation will not work properly, and a visit to the ITS Help Desk will be required to fix it.
- Save and close any open documents and quit all running programs.
- If you have another version of Sophos Anti-Virus installed, remove it:
- Open /Library/Sophos Anti-Virus/ and double-click Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, taking the defaults and entering your administrator credentials for the computer as requested. Quit the uninstaller when it completes.
- Launch your Web browser and point it to http://sophos4.davidson.edu/.
- Click the file Install_Sophos_Mac.zip to download it. If your computer is properly configured, the downloaded file will automatically decompress and run the installer. If not, decompress the downloaded zip file and open Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg.
- Click Continue. The install will begin. Follow the instructions as presented, and provided your administrator credentials for the computer when requested.
The software is now installed and configured to receive regular automatic updates from Davidson's Sophos server.
For users directed to these instructions by a Bradford agent installer: Once the install is complete, use the Back button in your browser to return to the Bradford window, and click Re-Scan. Or, browse to an outside web page (e.g. google.com) to be redirected to it again.