Robert R. Gregory, Sr. ’36, World War II Army veteran of Westfield, N.J., died on March 23, 2007. For forty years he was employed as an insurance claims manager for the Home Insurance Company in New York City. He retired in 1976. An eighty-two year member of The Presbyterian Church in Westfield, he joined the church at the age of twelve and had served as a deacon and an elder. He also was a member of the Westfield Tennis Club. He was preceded in death by his wife Helen Frick Gregory in 1999. Survivors include two sons, Robert R. Gregory, Jr. and Richard Gregory, 8 Canterbury Ln., Westfield, N.J. 07090; and a brother, David Gregory of New York.
Charles F. Hamrick ’36 of Asheville, N.C., and Delray Beach, Fla., died on July 11. Born in Gaffney, S.C., in 1915, he was the son of the late Waite C. and Florence Martin Hamrick. He graduated from Davidson College in 1936, and was associated in the textile business with Hamrick Mills until 1939, when he joined Hamrick's sales agency, Wilson and Bradbury in New York City, where he was president for twenty-five years. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy in the Philippine Islands from 1943–46. He was a resident of New York City for the balance of his textile career, retiring in 1986, and moving his residence to Delray Beach, Fla., where he was a member of First Presbyterian Church. His summer home was in Asheville, and even in retirement he continued to serve as a director of The Fullerton Foundation and Hamrick Mills. Survivors include his wife of sixty-seven years, Marguerite Darnell Hamrick, 7 Bourne Ln., Asheville, N.C. 28803-2953; daughter, Elaine Shields, her husband, Day, and their children, Samantha and Charles; and daughter, Pamela Huber and her husband, Dan; and sisters, Florence Hamrick Reaves and Mary Waite Hamrick McLeod. He was preceded in death by his brothers, Waite C. Hamrick, Jr. and John Martin Hamrick.
William David Hobbs ’38, retired chairman, president, and chief executive officer of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. and executive vice president and director of R.J. Reynolds Industries, died November 14 at Forsyth Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C., after a brief illness, surrounded by his loving family. He was born December 22, 1915, in Eden to Edward Victor and Grace Stocks Hobbs, attending public schools in Eden and later in Asheboro. He served his alma mater, Davidson College, as a member of the Board of Visitors and the Ne Ultra Society. He served as a captain in the U.S. Army during World War II, attached to artillery and armored units. Bill saw action in the North African and European Theaters and was decorated with a Bronze Star. As a tank commander, Bill’s unit fought against German units commanded by Gen. Erwin Rommel. Bill began his forty-three year career with R.J. Reynolds in the leaf department and progressed to director of manufacturing before being elected president in 1972. He was elected chairman and chief executive officer in 1975. He received various industry honors during his career including Tobacco International magazine’s Man of the Year, the Tobacco and Allied Industry Human Relations Award, the Giant of the Industry Award by the California Association of Dealers, and the Humanitarian Memorial Award from the National Association of Tobacco Dealers. After retiring from R.J. Reynolds on December 31, 1980, he continued to serve the tobacco industry for ten more years as chairman of the Council for Tobacco Research. Bill’s civic and community activities included serving as an officer and director of the following organizations: United Way, Old Salem Inc., Winston-Salem Urban Coalition, Northwest North Carolina Development Association, Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities Commission, City Board of North Carolina National Bank, First Federal Savings Bank, Winston-Salem Kiwanis Club, Salvation Army, Peace College, Babcock School of Management, Arbor Acres, and Cannon Memorial Hospital in Banner Elk. He was a longtime member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and served in various capacities. He was preceded in death by his wife of sixty-four years, Jane Farr Hobbs. He is survived by his son, W. David Hobbs, Jr. (Gail Lybrook), 2810 Bartram Rd., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106; his daughter, Jane (Janie) Hobbs Dean (Gary); six granddaughters, Gennifer Hobbs, Angela Hobbs Dixon (Scott), Courtney Hobbs Cashin (Mike), Katherine Dean, Shannon Dean Gutierrez (Josh), and Lauren Dean; and great-grandchildren, Maggie Acree Dixon and William Dean Gutierrez.
Henry A. Sigmon ’38 of Newington, Conn., died on April 14, 2006. He was preceded in death by his wife of fifty-five years, Margaret Smallman Gates Sigmon. Born in Denver, N.C., the son of John and Mamie (Gabriel) Sigmon, he was a Newington resident for the last 54 years and was a member of the Church of Christ, Congregational. He was a graduate of Rock Springs High School, Denver, N.C., and had been the salutatorian of the Class of 1934. He graduated from Davidson College with a B.A. in history in 1938. He was a history teacher at Rock Springs High School before going to Officers Candidate School in 1941. He became a captain in the 5th Army, 91st Division, 363 Infantry Regiment, and was awarded the Bronze Star in 1944 for meritorious service in action on the Fifth Army Front in Italy. He is survived by his three children, Debra A. Sigmon, Steven H. Sigmon, and David G. Sigmon; his three grandchildren, John A. Sigmon, Michael S. Sigmon, and Kara E. Sigmon; his sister Margaret Dellinger; and many nieces and nephews. He was also preceded in death by five brothers and one sister. Memorial donations may be made to Davidson College.
Dr. Lemuel W. Kornegay, Jr. ’39 of Rocky Mount, N.C., died on October 2 after a brief battle with cancer. He was born in Rocky Mount, on March 5, 1919. He was a graduate of Rocky Mount Senior High School, Davidson College, and Duke University Medical School. In 1944 he entered the United States Army as a captain and served with the 115th General Hospital in England, France and Germany. After returning from Europe, he continued his graduate training in Texas and Missouri. In 1950, he became the chief of staff and surgeon of the Warren General Hospital in Warrenton. He served in that position until 1962, when he returned to Rocky Mount to practice at the Rocky Mount Sanitarium and The Community Hospital. He remained in private practice until 1998, when he retired at the age of seventy-nine. Dr. Kornegay was a member of the National Board of Medical Examiners as well as serving as a diplomat for the organization. He also belonged to The Nash-Edgecombe Medical Society, The North Carolina State Medical Society, and The Southern Medical Association. He is survived by his wife of fifty-four years, Nancy Gillam Kornegay, 500 Shady Circle Dr., Rocky Mount, N.C. 27803-1715; his son, Lemuel W. Kornegay III; daughter Jane Kornegay Ing; and two grandchildren, Lemuel W. Kornegay IV and Abigail T. Kornegay. He was preceded in death by his parents, Dr. Lemuel Weyher Kornegay, Sr. and Leonomie Dumais Kornegay, and his brother, Dr. Robert Dumais Kornegay, Sr ’35.
Herbert E. Miller, Jr. ’39 of Teachey, N.C. died April 16. Born in Sampson County on January 13, 1919, he was the son of the late Herbert Edgar, Sr. and Emma Bronson Miller. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II, and later was self-employed as a building contractor. He was also a member of the First Baptist Church of Wallace. He was preceded in death by his wife, Eleanor Chestnutt Miller on October 20, 1993. He is survived by his four loving daughters, Dr. Linda Barrow (Jerry), Carolyn Herbert (Rick), Nancy Gantt, and Ann Williams; eleven grandchildren, Geoff Barrow, Michelle Hunter (Ian), Stefanie Herbert, Greg Herbert, Amy Gantt (Richard Edgar), Kevin Gantt, Patrick Gantt (Amanda), James Gantt, Kyle Williams, Ross Williams, and Tyler Williams; two great-granddaughters, Amber Barrow and Abigail Hunter; and sister, Ruth Brewster (Ray).
William W. Telford ’39 of Brenham, Texas, died on August 14. He served as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Naval Reserves. He was preceded in death by his son, Kendrick Lee Telford ’69. He is survived by his wife, Eloise Wheeler Telford, 120 Ahrens Ave., Brenham, Texas 77833; his son, William W. Telford, Jr. ’71 (Marcia); and two grandsons, Clifton L. Telford and Johnson C. Telford.
The Rev. Joseph M. Gammon ’40, former U.S. Navy chaplain of Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center, died on August 27 in Knoxville, Tenn. A member of First Families of Tennessee, Rev. Gammon was born in Lavras, Minas-Gerais, Brazil in 1918, on the campus of Instituto Presbiteriano Gammon, the school founded by his missionary parents, Samuel Rhea Gammon and Clara Moore Gammon. A 1940 graduate of Davidson College, he was a veteran, serving in the U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps in the Pacific Theater of World War II and in the Korean War. He spent many years in the Naval Reserves, retiring at the rank of Commander in 1975. He was ordained as a Presbyterian minister on July 31, 1949, after graduating from Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. After serving pastorates in Morgan City, La.; Madison, Fla.; and Lake City, S.C., he was chaplain at Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center from 1965 to 1986. The Joseph M. Gammon Series on Ministry was established in 1981 in his honor. In October 2006, he was awarded an honorary doctorate by Brazil's Instituto Presbiteriano Gammon. Following his retirement, Gammon served interim pastorates at First Presbyterian Church in Etowah, Tenn., and at First Presbyterian Church in Knoxville. He worshipped at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Knoxville. He is survived by his wife of sixty-two years, Vivian Isabel Iverson Gammon, 7531 Turnbrook Way, Apt. 115, Knoxville, Tenn. 37919; daughter, Vivian Genet Gammon Weber (David); son, Daniel Iverson Gammon (Sandy); daughter, Lalla Gammon Phillips (John); grandchildren, Jacob R. Potts (Jessica); Anna Gammon Jarvis (Greg); Luke Gammon Weber (Ashlie Bitner); Hannah Gammon Disney (Matt); Rachael Erin Gammon; John Alexander Phillips; and Forrest Christopher Phillips; and great-grandchildren, Joseph Daniel Jarvis and Madelyn Elizabeth Jarvis. He was preceded in death by his son, Joseph Moore Gammon, Jr; sisters, Alicia Gennet Coriolano and Billie Gammon; and brothers, Audley Anderson Gammon ’35 and the Rev. Richard Rhea Gammon ’40.
John A. Purdie ’41 died peacefully July 21, following several years of declining health. He was born in Fayetteville on October 27, 1919, to Agnes Malloy Purdie and John Alexander Purdie. He graduated from Fayetteville Senior High School in 1936, serving as class president, and from Davidson College in 1941. He served in the Army in World War II and in the Korean War. After several years in the insurance business, he returned to Fayetteville in 1950 and joined his mother and stepfather, Arthur K. McCallum, in their boating and fishing business, A.K. McCallum Co., retiring in 2002. He was a longtime member and admirer of First Presbyterian Church, joining while in high school when he wasn’t good enough to make the Baptist church league basketball team and the Presbyterians only had four players. He served as a deacon, an elder, and was a member of the Calvin Sunday School Class. He is survived by his wife of fifty-nine years, Celia Grantham Purdie, P.O. Box 3128, Bald Head Island, N.C. 28461-7000; sons, John A. Purdie, Jr. (Barbara) and Alan Purdie; grandchildren, Matthew C. Purdie (Elizabeth) and Joanna Jenkins (Joe); and two great-granddaughters, Caroline and Sarah Purdie.
Charles R. Linville ’42 died April 15 at Salemtowne Moravian Retirement Community in Winston-Salem, N.C. He was born in Winston-Salem on June 9, 1921, to the late Marguerite Ellison and Emory Roscoe Linville. A lifelong resident of Winston-Salem, he was a well-known community leader for many years. His wife of forty-three years, Margaret Hine Linville, preceded him in death in 1991. They were 1938 graduates of R.J. Reynolds High School He attended Davidson and Guilford Colleges and then worked for Security Life and Trust Corp. In 1942, he left to serve in the Armed Forces during World War II, where he was stationed in England and Germany as a radar specialist with the Signal Corps. He returned in 1946, married Margaret and moved to Chapel Hill to continue his education. He graduated from the University of North Carolina with a bachelor’s degree in business administration and was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. In 1949, he began work for his father-in-law, Ira W. Hine, at Hine-Bagby Co., became president in 1955, and served as manager of the Thruway store which opened in 1958, having gained ownership by the time of its closing in 1992. Among the many community boards on which Charlie served were the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association of Forsyth County, and the Red Shield Boys' Club. He was also the president of the Winston-Salem Host Lion’s Club, where he worked tirelessly for the visually impaired and received the Melvin Jones and Jack Stickly Fellowship Awards. He also was president of the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce, Jaycees, Thruway Merchants Association, Winston-Salem Retail Merchants, Carolinas Association of Retail Clothiers, and a longtime member of Forsyth Country Club. He served on the Board of Directors of the Bank of North Carolina (now Bank of America), as well as Triad Life Insurance. As a member of the UNC Morehead Scholarship Committee and presiding as Forsyth County chairman for ten years, he enjoyed entertaining the nominees in his home and helping young people with their career plans. Charlie grew up in Centenary United Methodist Church and then joined Knollwood Baptist Church with his wife in 1960, where he served as deacon as well as many other positions. He especially enjoyed the Roddick Sunday School Class and hosted the yearly picnic at his home for years. Mr. Linville was preceded in death by an infant brother, William Robert Linville. He is survived by his son, Richard Linville (Kathy), 628 Yorkshire Rd., Winston-Salem, N.C.27106-5542, and their children, Mary Kathryn Linville Vernon (Jeff) and Matt Linville; daughter, Kathy Robinson (Neal) and sons, Will and Nelson Robinson; and a sister, Ann Linville Burns (Kent).
Bernice B. Turnage ’42 died October 9 in Farmville, N.C. He was born November 1, 1921, the youngest son of Cora Payne Moore Turnage and Theodore Carlyle Turnage, Sr. He was educated in the public schools of Farmville, and graduated from Farmville High School in 1938. He graduated from Davidson College in 1942. While at Davidson, he played a variety of intramural sports, was on the wrestling team, and was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order.After graduation from Davidson, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and attended Naval Pre-Flight School at The University of North Carolina. He served as a fighter pilot with Marine Squadron VMF 217 in the Pacific. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for valor in combat, and remained, for his entire life, a Marine at heart. When the war ended, he returned to Farmville where he took an active role in running The Turnage Company, Turnage Implement Company and, later, Turnage Farms. His civic activities included decades of service as a volunteer firefighter with the Farmville Fire Department, service as secretary/treasurer of the Rural Fire Association, several terms as a commissioner for the town of Farmville, and chairmanship of both the Centennial Parade and the inaugural Farmer's Day Parade. From 1982 to 1988, Bernice was a member of the Pitt County Memorial Hospital Board of Trustees. He served as treasurer to the Board from 1984–1987. Turnage maintained a lifelong membership in and commitment to Farmville Presbyterian Church, a church his mother had been instrumental in founding. He served the church as a deacon, an elder, and as clerk of the Session. He was a member of Committee on Ministry and occasionally served as a lay preacher to congregations with no full-time minister. B.B. was a Trustee for the Davis Trust Fund, and served as a director for, in succession, The Bank of Farmville, First Union National Bank, and Southern Bank. His wisdom and measured judgment in matters financial were highly valued by those who knew him. Bernice enjoyed, and was skilled at, things that involved tools, patience, and manual dexterity. He was active in the Amateur Radio Relay League and enjoyed teaching young Boy Scouts about ham radio. He is survived by his wife of fifty-nine years, Rosemary Holmes Turnage, 4336 W. Church St., Farmville, N.C. 27828; his three children, Laura Lee Turnage McNair (Frank), T. Carl Turnage III, and Beth Turnage Biesel (Bill); and three grandchildren, Laura Elizabeth Biesel, William H. Biesel III, and Emily Carlyle Biesel. He was preceded in death by his brother, T. Carl Turnage, Jr., and his sister, Serene Turnage McLean.
John Montgomery Belk ’43, noted business and civic leader and philanthropist, died August 17. He was born in Charlotte on March 29, 1920, to the late Mary Irwin Belk and William Henry Belk. He was chairman emeritus of Belk, Inc., the nation’s largest privately owned department store company that was founded by his father in Monroe, N.C. in 1888. Mr. Belk retired as chairman and chief executive officer of the company on May 26, 2004, after a distinguished career during which he served for fifty years as chief executive officer. Mr. Belk joined the company in 1945, following his service during World War II in the U.S. Army infantry. He began his career working in the Belk store in uptown Charlotte, and subsequently held key top management positions in the company’s central buying office organization, the predecessor of Belk Stores Services, Inc. He became president of the various Belk store corporations in the early 1950s and served at the helm of the company until his retirement. His leadership and vision during his tenure at the helm of Belk enabled the company to become one of the South’s most successful and respected retailers. John attended Charlotte public schools and McCallie School in Chattanooga, Tenn., and received a bachelor of science degree in economics from Davidson College in 1943. Immediately following graduation from Davidson, he served in World War II in the U.S. Army infantry, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He was discharged in October 1945, but was recalled to active duty during the Korean War. Throughout his career, Mr. Belk was involved in numerous activities to improve the business climate and the quality of life in Charlotte and the Carolinas. This included serving as president of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce in 1964, and serving as Mayor of the City of Charlotte from May 1969 to December 1977, one of the longest tenures of any mayor in Charlotte's history. Under his leadership, Charlotte grew rapidly and emerged as a major financial and distribution center in the Southeast and a shining star among the nation’s cities. He was an avid promoter of Charlotte as a center for air travel and following his service as mayor served on the Charlotte Airport Advisory Committee and was its chairman in 1980. Among his many leadership positions, Mr. Belk was chairman of The Belk Foundation and a member of the board of directors and a past chairman of the National Retail Federation. He has held national leadership positions with the World Presidents Organization, the American Management Association and The Conference Board, and was a member of the board of directors of the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. During his career, he served as a director of a number of public corporations, including PMC, Inc., Wachovia Corporation, Quantum Chemical Corporation, Texas Industries, Inc., Lowe's Companies, Inc., and Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated, Inc. Mr. Belk served on the board of visitors of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the North Carolina Council on Management and Development and was a former member of the board of trustees of Union Theological Seminary. He served for nearly fifty years as a member of the board of trustees of Davidson College. Additionally, Mr. Belk was a long-time member and former president of the Presbyterian Hospital Foundation, a member and former director of the Charlotte World Affairs Council, and served as honorary chairman of the USS Charlotte Commissioning Committee. In 1995, he established the John Montgomery Belk Scholarship program at Davidson College with a $28 million pledge, the largest gift ever to Davidson by an individual. Mr. Belk announced the creation of the Claudia W. Belk International Scholarship Fund at her alma mater, Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia, on the occasion of her birthday on July 10, 2007. Long active in Scouting, he was a Distinguished Eagle Scout and had been awarded Scouting’s highest honors, including the Silver Beaver, Silver Antelope, and Silver Buffalo awards. He was a past president of the Boy Scouts of America Southeast Region, and served on the Advisory Council of the BSA National Executive Board. In 1988, the BSA named him a Baden-Powell Fellow. The former Mayor received numerous local, state, and national awards for his business and civic achievements and contributions. They include: the Gold Medal Award from the National Retail Merchants Association in 1973; the North Carolina Distinguished Citizen Award from N.C. Governor James B. Hunt, Jr.; the Brotherhood Award from the National Conference of Christians and Jews in 1981; the Citizen of the Carolinas Award from the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce in 1992; the University Award from the University of North Carolina Board of Governors in 1993; the World Citizen Award from the Charlotte World Affairs Council in 1997; the Excellence in Management Award from the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, Charlotte Rotary Club, and The Charlotte Business Journal in 1998. He was inducted into the North Carolina Business Hall of Fame sponsored by the North Carolina Citizens for Business and Industry and Junior Achievement in 2000. In 1990, Davidson College dedicated the John M. Belk sports arena in recognition of his leadership and participation in sports at his alma mater. In 1981, the U.S. Interstate 277 loop around uptown Charlotte was named the John Belk Freeway in honor of his civic and community leadership. He was awarded honorary Doctor of Laws degrees from Johnson C. Smith University and Davidson College in 1980, and Queens University in 1998. In addition, he was an Elder at Myers Park Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, and a devoted member of the Rhodes Johnson Sunday School Class. He also was a member of the Masonic Order and the American Legion. He is survived by his wife of thirty-six years, Claudia Watkins Belk, 435 Hempstead Pl., Charlotte, N.C. 28207; daughter, Mary Claudia Belk Pilon (Jeffrey); three grandchildren, James M. Pilon, John M. Pilon, and Katherine B. Pilon; brothers, Irwin Belk ’45 and Henderson Belk ’45; sister, Sarah Belk Gambrell; and niece Katherine Belk Morris ’04. He was preceded in death by his brothers, William H. Belk, Jr.’38 and Thomas M. Belk ’46.
James Lauder Morgan ’45, former Davidson College trustee, died at his home in Laurel Hill, N.C., August 27. Jimmy was born December 31, 1924, in Charlotte, a son of the late Edwin and Elise McKinnon Morgan. He grew up in Laurel Hill and Laurinburg and attended public schools in Laurinburg before graduating from the McCallie School in 1941. He attended Davidson College from 1941 to 1943, and served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as a first lieutenant and B-29 bomber navigator in the Pacific Campaign, World War II. Following the war, he graduated from UNC Chapel Hill in 1949 with a B.S. degree in commerce. Upon graduation, he joined Morgan Mills (now the Morgan Company) in 1949. He was presently chairman of The Morgan Company and The Morgan Foundation. He served as a member of the Scotland County Board of Education and was a member of the Scotland County Board of Commissioners. Jimmy also volunteered for Scotland County United Way, where he served as past president in 1973-74, the Scotland County Arts Council, Community Concert Association, North Carolina Symphony Society, and was past a chairman of Scotland Memorial Hospital. He also served as a trustee for St. Andrews Presbyterian College from 1967 to the present and served as chairman from 1987–90. He was also a past trustee of Davidson College, Montreat College, and Union Theological Seminary. An active Presbyterian, he was a member and elder emeritus at the Church in the Pines in Laurel Hill, a former board member of Presbyterian Homes of North Carolina, was serving as a trustee for Scotia Village Retirement Community from 1984 to the present, and was the president of the Scotia Village Foundation from 1993 to the present. Jimmy studied piano with his aunt, Bessie Gibson Morgan, and clarinet from her son, Harold Gibson, and also learned to play saxophone. With various bands he played at McCallie School, Davidson College, and at the 1942 Rose Bowl, which was played in Durham. His love of jazz and swing music of the 1930s and 1940s kept him active playing in various bands for numerous charitable causes on a statewide and local basis. He is survived by his wife of fifty-eight years, Elizabeth Evans Morgan, P.O. Box 1167, Laurel Hill, N.C. 28351; son, the Rev. Dr. James L. Morgan, Jr. (Annette); three daughters, Dr. Patricia Elise Morgan ’74 (Terry L. Wright), Kay Morgan Anderson, and Susan Morgan Farrell (Charles); and ten grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother, Marcus M. Morgan ’50.
William H. Morrow, Jr. ’46 of Montgomery, Ala., died August 27. He was born January 11, 1923, in West Point, son of the late William H. Morrow and Annie Laurie Neville Morrow. A graduate of West Point High School and Davidson College, he was a veteran of World War II who volunteered for military service in 1943 after three years at Davidson. He entered the Infantry, but transferred to the Army Air Corps, where he attained the rank of second lieutenant. He served as a navigator on the B-17 Flying Fortress, and flew more than twenty combat missions, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. After the war, he returned to Davidson, where he became president of Phi Gamma Delta social fraternity, and in 1944 was initiated into Phi Beta Kappa honorary scholastic fraternity. After graduation he entered Harvard Law School, where he graduated in 1952. He practiced law in California for a short time before joining the Miami, Fla., firm of Patton & Kanner, where he worked until 1965, when he came to Alabama to serve as general counsel for the Alabama State Bar, a position he held until his retirement in1987. He was preceded in death by his wife of twenty-five years, Glenice R. Morrow. Survivors include a stepson, David Knapp; and two nephews, Charles A. Nix III and William L. Nix, P.O. Box 466, West Point, Ga. 31833.
Robert K. Richards ’46, of Hendersonville, N.C., died September 6 at his residence after a long battle with emphysema. He was born in Scranton, Pa., to the late Richard and Anne Kiser Richards. He worked as a building contractor for most of his life. Among those that he did work for were the playwright Arthur Miller and television variety show host Ed Sullivan. He received a bachelor of science degree from Springfield College in Springfield, Mass. Prior to attending Springfield, he took courses at Davidson College. He was a Navy veteran of World War II, serving in the Pacific Theater. He is survived by his loving wife of fifty-three years, Shirley B. Richards, 1210 Maple St., Hendersonville, N.C. 28792-3770; two sons, David T. Richards and Robert W. Richards; and daughter, Sandra J. Peschl.
Richard E. Arey ’48, of Blowing Rock, N.C., died August 20. He was born June 4, 1927, in Shelby, N.C., son of the late William Griffin Arey and Catherine Roberts Arey. He was a retired hotel executive, and during his career, he managed the Robert E. Lee Hotel in Winston-Salem, N.C., The Washington Duke Hotel in Durham, N.C., and was the vice-president of operations of the Hilton Plaza Inns in Kansas for twenty-one years, before his retirement in 1990. He was a past president of the North Carolina Hotel and Motel Association, the North Carolina Restaurant Association, the Kansas City Hotel and Motel Association, and the Kansas City Restaurant Association. He was currently serving as an honorary life board member of the North Carolina Restaurant Association. During his retirement years, he was vice chairman of the Unifor Chapter of SCORE, director of the Blowing Rock Rotary Club, Elder of Rumple Memorial Presbyterian Church, director of Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce, president of the Blowing Rock Country Club, and director of Blowing Rock Hospital. He was preceded in death by his wife, Anice Graham Miller Arey, and his brother-in-law, Joseph S. Dorton, Jr. ’52. He is survived by his daughter, Ann Mason (William), 5104 Harlon Circle, Richmond, Va. 23226; two granddaughters, Catherine and Susan Mason; two brothers, Will Arey (Jean) and Bob Arey (Loraine); and one sister, Mary Alice Dorton.
Samuel P. Lineberger ’48 died September 19 in Gastonia, N.C. He was a native of Gaston County, and was the son of the late Clarence Pinkney “Pink” and Florence Gertrude Kennett Lineberger. He was a graduate of Davidson College of 1948 and fulfilled his lifelong dream with great success of following his uncle Andrew Gullick as a cotton broker. He started the Sam P. Lineberger Cotton Co., Inc. where he worked for over forty years until his retirement. He was a lifelong member of First Presbyterian Church of Belmont, former member of the Belmont Rotary Club, past president of the Cotton Association, the Men’s Golf Association, and the Eagles’ Club of Gastonia. He is survived by his wife of forty-one years, Clenda Lewis Lineberger, 3008 Imperial Dr., Gastonia, N.C. 28052; his son Jeffrey Z. Lineberger (Lynn); his daughter Terry L. Wendt (Robbie); and three grandchildren, Erica Lineberger, Chris Wendt, and Daniel Griffin. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Sue Lineberger Howe Stell, Sarah Lineberger Smith, Harriet Ruth L. Harris, and Betty Jane Lineberger Warren; a brother-in-law, J. Reid Lewis; and best friends, Andy Gullick ’49 and Joe Brown.
Irving A. Williams ’49 of Santa Clara, Calif., died on March 6, 2006. After serving as an aviator for twenty-eight years in the U.S. navy, he retired at Moffett Field in 1970 as a lieutenant commander. He is survived by his wife, Sharee Williams, 5964 Indian Ave., San Jose, Calif. 95123-4012; daughter Karen Thorp (Ron); twin sister Ermine Peeler (Herman); brother Craig Williams; six grandchildren, Krystal, Kyle, Kevin, Kris Thorp, Steven Varni (Jenny), and Patrick Varni; and two great-grandchildren, Makayla and Haley Brackensick.
William E. King, Sr. ’50 died October 23 in Bristol, Tenn. After graduation from Tennessee High School in 1945, he honorably served in the U.S. Navy before attending Davidson College and Washington and Lee University. He began his business career at the E.W. King Co., then owned and operated Bill King Clothiers in Downtown Bristol before co-founding Charter Data Systems, a national forerunner in utilizing computer technology in retail management and consulting. As a partner in Ruth King Antiques and owner of Better Services Inc., he developed an expertise in importing goods from England, including Qwicksilver and Big Tom, for marketing throughout the United States and many foreign countries. He is survived by his wife of fifty-three years, Ruth Moseley King, 1 Woods Way, Bristol, Tenn. 37620; his son, William E. King, Jr. (Ronan); his daughter, Nell King Bieger (Dan); his four grandchildren, Will and Moseley King, and Daniel and David Bieger; and his sister, Betty King Irvine (Walter) and children, Walter Jr. and Beth. He was preceded in death by his brother, Albert D. King, Jr. ’45.
Thomas L. Maston ’50 died November 29, 2005, in Franklin, Va. He was preceded in death by his wife, Margaret Mullen Maston.
Harry C. Robbins ’50 of Blowing Rock, N.C., died September 30. A native of Blowing Rock, he was a developer, entrepreneur, and leader in tourism promotion in the Blue Ridge Mountains. After service in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II, he returned to North Carolina where he attended Appalachian State Teachers College and Davidson College. In the 1950s his early career included a term as postmaster of Blowing Rock, and manager of the Blowing Rock scenic attraction. In the late 1950s, he assisted his brother Grover Robbins in the creation and operation of Tweetsie Railroad. Following the establishment of North Carolina’s first theme park, Harry and Grover began a new park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., that evolved into Goldrush Junction (a park that eventually became today's Dollywood). At the same time, the Robbins Brothers began planning and construction of exclusive resort communities in the mountains, beginning with the Hound Ears Club in 1962. Subsequent projects, among many that were created by Harry and Grover in the 1960s and 70s, included the Beech Mountain resort and the Land of Oz theme park; The Reef resort in the Virgin Islands; and Linville Land Harbor. Youngest brother, Spencer Robbins, later joined the duo in many of these ventures. After Grover's death in 1970, and on through the 1980s, Harry and Spencer continued to create prestigious resort and real estate communities in the mountains, the most notable of which was the Elk River Club in Banner Elk, which featured the state’s first Jack Nicklaus-designed golf course. The mountain region will remember him as one of the major visionaries in promoting Northwest North Carolina as a tourist destination, and a major force in bringing year-round economic success to the Appalachians. Throughout his career, he was a tireless promoter of quality tourism promotions to make the Boone-Blowing Rock-Banner Elk region a nation-wide destination. Harry is survived by his wife, Barbara J. Robbins, 300 Tweetsie Railroad Rd., Blowing Rock, N.C. 28605-9787; daughter Wendy; two sons, Christopher B. (Cathy) and Mark B. (Lyndsey); step-son Michael C. Presnell; three sisters, Lena Brooks, Peggy Sellers, and Ruth Botzis; and one brother, Spencer Robbins (Grace). He is also survived by a number of nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by one son, John Kevin Robbins; his parents, Grover C. Robbins, Sr. and Lena Miller Robbins; and one brother, Grover C. Robbins, Jr.
Dr. Robert E. Barron III ’51 of New Orleans, La., died September 17. He was born in Rock Hill, the son of the late Robert Edwin Barron, Jr. and Gladys Talbert Barron. He was a member of First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church in Rock Hill. He was a graduate of Davidson College and the Medical College of South Carolina. His internship was at Montreal General Hospital in Montreal, Canada. His residency in neurology at Charity Hospital, Tulane University, brought him to New Orleans in 1957. He began his practice at Ochsner Clinic in 1961 and later became head of the Department of Neurology. He retired in 1995. While at Ochsner, he taught at Tulane University School of Medicine as clinical professor of neurology. Dr. Barron was known for his interest in music and the arts, particularly for his expertise in the field of Chinese ceramics. His collection of Song Dynasty ceramics, created over a period of forty years, was first exhibited at the New Orleans Museum of Art in 2000. Long a friend and supporter of the museum as a board member and advisor, he contributed about two dozen Song Dynasty pieces to the museum. He is survived by his sister, Louse Barron Barnes (Ed); his brother George T. Barron (Susan); and his nieces and nephews, Susan Barnes Ellis, Frances Barnes Elliott, Edwin L. Barnes, Jr., George T. Barron, Jr., Robert G. Barron, and Louise Barron Reynolds.
Gray W. Hampton, Jr. ’51 died September 10 in Huntington, W.Va. He was born on April 10, 1928, in Huntington, W.Va., son of Gray Watson Hampton and Lucile Benn Kilby. He graduated from Woodberry Forest Prep School in 1947 and Davidson College in 1951. Later that year, Gray joined the U.S. Navy Reserve. He was called to active duty in December 1952 and graduated from Navy Officer Candidate School shortly thereafter. He continued his active service with the Navy until late 1956, including tours of duty in both the Far East and the South Pole, and was in the reserves through 1959. After completing his active service, he attended both the Presbyterian School of Christian Education and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va., and graduated in 1960. The year before graduating, Gray married Julia Long Rolston. His first call to the pastorate was to Sunset Hills Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, N.C., in 1960. In late 1962, he became pastor of Buffalo Presbyterian Church in Greensboro, N.C. In 1968, he returned home to become associate pastor at First Presbyterian Church, where he served for the next eleven years. After that, Gray continued his ministry by serving as an interim pastor for several other local churches, while also selling commercial and residential real estate. In 1981, he joined the Foster Foundation Board of Directors, and in 1988 he became the administrator of Foster Memorial Home. He retired in 1997. Gray had long dreamed of having a retirement community in Huntington and proposed the idea to the Foster Foundation in 1988. In August 1996, Woodlands Retirement Community opened and within a few months every apartment was occupied. Gray served as trustee of the Huntington Symphony Orchestra, president of the Family Service Board, a member of the Ethics Committee at Cabell Huntington Hospital, and a member of the West Virginia Personal Care Task Force which assisted with the development of enabling legislation passed by the West Virginia Legislature in 1997. In recent years, he was also a parish associate at First Presbyterian Church and made many pastoral calls. He is survived by his wife, Julia R. Hampton, 33 N. Bradley Foster Dr., Huntington, W.Va. 25701-9457; his children, Gray W. Hampton III ’83 (Lauren), David R. Hampton, Mary Lou Daly ’88 (Michael ’88), and Jacqueline R. Hampton; and his grandchildren, Michael G. and Tyler J. Daly.
William J. Williamson, Jr. ’51 of Blowing Rock, N.C., died October 27 at his home, surrounded by his loving family. He was born May 2, 1926, in Charlotte, N.C., a son of the late William Jordan Williamson, Sr. and Lilla Sue Wright Williamson. He was a graduate of Davidson College. He served his country in the Army Air Corps in World War II. He was a member of Joppa Masonic Lodge #530 and Oasis Shrine Temple. He was a charter member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Charlotte, N.C., where he served as a deacon and an elder. He also served as an elder of Rumple Memorial Presbyterian Church in Blowing Rock, N.C. He began his career in classified advertising at the Charlotte News. He was vice president and advertising director of Eckerd Drugs of North Carolina for nineteen years. After 'retiring' to Blowing Rock, he served as General Manager of Tweetsie Railroad and owner of Stephen's Restaurant. In 2006, he was honored for twenty-five years of service on the Blowing Rock Hospital Board of Trustees. He served for many years on the Board of the Blowing Rock Stage Company. Bill was a tireless advocate of travel and tourism in North Carolina, as one of the founders of North Carolina High Country Host, chairman of the North Carolina Travel and Tourism Board, member of the North Carolina Travel Council, and the 1989 recipient of the Charles J. Parker Travel Award. He is survived by his loving wife of fifty-nine years, Jean Barrett Williamson, P.O. Box 108, Blowing Rock, N.C. 28605-0108; daughter, the Rev. Betsy Williamson; sons, Bill Williamson III (Cathy) and Steve Williamson (Claire); grandsons, Jordan Williamson IV and Patrick Williamson; step-grandchildren, Mark Trivett (Hannah) and Elizabeth Trivett; sister-in-law, Sally T. Williamson; nephew, Jeff Williamson (Paula); and niece, Melissa Russell. He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Dukes W. Williamson; and nieces, Mary Jane Williamson and Susan W. Rowe.
Richard F. Ferguson, Jr. ’52, U.S. Army veteran of Flowery Branch, Ga., died October 6. He loved his family and lived life to the fullest. He was a member of the Church of the Holy Trinity. He was a national sales manager for Sperry-Remington Office Systems and the owner and president of Southern Business Systems. He was preceded in death by his wife of fifty-four years, Elizabeth W. Ferguson. He is survived by his son, Richard F. Ferguson III; daughters, Elizabeth F. Butler (Scott) and Gail Tyler (Bobby), 554 Avon Glade Pl., Sanford, Fla. 32771-6462; and sister, Florence Dickey.
Bob G. Gibson ’52 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died August 22. Bob graduated from Hanes High School in Winston-Salem in 1948, winning an athletic scholarship to Davidson College. He met and married Dorothy “Dottie” while attending Davidson and graduated in the class of 1952 with a bachelor of science in business administration. After serving in the Army during the Korean Conflict, Bob and Dottie returned to Winston-Salem. Bob’s career move into life insurance took him to Charlotte and finally to Raleigh where for many years he was general agent for the Lincoln Financial Group serving eastern North Carolina. He was active in Jaycees and Lions Clubs and also served as president of the N.C. Life Underwriters Association. After retiring from the life insurance business, Bob invested in commercial properties and owned and managed several restaurants. At the time of his death, Bob was a co-owner in Billy Bob’s Silver Diner. He was a native of Winston-Salem and is survived by his wife, Dorothy W. Gibson, 1010 Kent Mews Ct., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27104; his daughters, Sharon and Theresa Gibson; his son, Michael Gibson ’76 (Martha); and his grandsons Jon and David Gibson.
William D. Reynolds, Sr. ’52 was called home by his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on November 24 in Raleigh, N.C. Through many years of health issues, Bill continued to look to Jesus as his hope and peace for eternal life. A faithful dependence and trust in God was evident as God was praised for every blessing and every suffering in his life. He was a man of eternal optimism and deep compassion for his Lord Jesus, his family, church, friends, and the pastors that he was blessed to minister with and to through Biblical Wellness Ministries which he co-founded in 1986. He served as Elder in Calvary Presbyterian Church in America. A passionate love of God and a desire to share that love led to service with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Camp Oak Hill Fellowship. Born to James A. and Bay I. Reynolds on September 14, 1930, Bill grew up in Shelby, attending Davidson College, and graduating in 1952 in business administration. He was recruited by Southern Bell Telephone Co., where he worked for 15 years. His work was interrupted by two years of service in the Army. In 1967, he established his own successful business, General Business Services, and served GBS as a regional director. His delight was to counsel other business owners helping them to become more successful. He is survived by his wife, Marianne Weathers Reynolds, 5539 Hamstead Crossing Dr., Raleigh, N.C. 27612; son, William D. Reynolds, Jr. (Karen); daughters, Anne Reynolds Owens (Gary) and Patricia Reynolds Schmitt (Thomas); seven grandchildren, Elise and William Reynolds, Jennifer Owens Clark (Michael), Sarah Owens, Matthew Schmitt, Rachel Schmitt McConnell (Jason), and Joey Schmitt; a sister, Dorothy Rosser; a brother, Robert Reynolds (Katherine); as well as nieces and nephews.
David Wallace Robinson II ’53 of Columbia, S.C., died August 9. A son of the late Henry Burton Robinson and Lyda Studdert Robinson, he was born in Columbia and grew up in Raleigh, N.C. A 1949 graduate of Needham-Broughton High School and 1953 graduate of Davidson College, he served in Austria as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Army. He received his law degree from Harvard Law School in 1958. He was first married to Isabelle Magnus Pilskaln of Easthampton, Mass. For over forty-two years, he practiced law with Robinson, McFadden and Moore law firm. From 1970-1975, he also served as General Counsel for Liberty Corporation and Liberty Life Insurance Company in Greenville, S.C. He was active in local, state, and national professional organizations, including the American Law Institute. He handled trials and appeals in state and federal courts including the United States Supreme Court. He was active in social and charitable organizations. He enjoyed travel and support of the arts. Mr. Robinson was a member of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. He was preceded in death by his wife, LeDare Hurst Robinson. Survivors include his daughter, Ames “Amy” R. Cameron ’81; son, Clay D. Robinson (Ellison); stepsons, Harrison Thompson (April), John Thompson (Hope), Broadus Thompson (Mary), and Charlie Thompson; grandchildren, Greg and Maggie Cameron; Henry, Meredith and Sam Robinson; and Bryan, Sara, John, and Andrew Thompson; former son-in-law, Alan Cameron; and sister-in-law, Margaret Robinson. He was preceded in death by a brother, Burton Robinson, Jr.
Wycliffe Vance Rountree, Jr ’54 died October 9 at his home in Flagler Beach, Fla. a retired high school English educator of thirty-eight years, taught in North Carolina and Pennsylvania. He graduated from Davidson College in North Carolina, received his master of divinity degree from The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Ky., and his master of education degree from The University of North Carolina, Greensboro. He was born in Atlanta, Ga. He moved to Plymouth Meeting in 1962, where he taught English at Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School until his retirement in 1997. Upon retiring, he moved to Flagler Beach, Fla. He was an active member of Flagler Beach United Methodist Church, teaching an adult Sunday school class, serving on church council and multiple committees. He was an active board member of his homeowner’s association and will be greatly missed by his family and friends. He enjoyed reading, following college football, and rail-fanning. He is survived by his wife of twenty-four years, Bette Rountree, 47 Pebble Beach Cir., Flagler Beach. Fla. 32136-4013; two sons, Wycliffe V. Rountree III (Gaye) and Wallace M. Rountree (Donna); four stepchildren, Kenneth Debus (Joy), Kathleen Smith (Michael), Brian Debus (Helen), and Patricia Debus; eight grandchildren, Emma, Nicole, Kristen, and William Rountree; Nicole Bani; Kevin, Sean, and Megan Debus.
Roy A. Barrow ’55 died October 22 in Marietta, Ga. He was born in Fulton County July 21, 1932. He attended Hapeville High School and Davidson College in North Carolina. He was a beloved husband, father, grandfather and friend. He began his flying career in the Air Force in 1951. He was enrolled in the 54 G cadet program. His experience with the Air Force provided him with the opportunity to fly B17s and B29s. He then became a pilot for Delta Airlines in 1957. Roy started flying the DC-3 working his way to the popular wide body L-1011 for which he served as captain. He enjoyed flying many times to Europe. Roy was lucky to love the job he chose. He was very proud to be a pilot for thirty-two years. He retired in 1988. His hobbies were tennis, boating, and skiing. He was also an excellent builder. Roy enjoyed being with his friends and family at Lake Burton. He is survived by his wife of fifty-two years, Elaine Barrow, 3715 Oak Ln., Marietta, Ga. 30062; his children, Robert Barrow (Tzippe), Diane Resse (Michael), Judy Patterson (Stacy), and Lynn Barrow; grandchildren, Caroline and Julianne Reese and Drew and Kathleen Patterson; step-grandson, Sam Barrow; his sister, Anne Bailey
Dr. Wilfred Duffield Little, Jr. ’55 died May 30, 2006, at his home in Dayton, Wash. He is survived by his wife, Susan S. Little; and his sons, Wilfred D. Little III and Michael E. Little.
Kenneth P. Forester, Jr. ’58 died at his Charlotte home of an apparent heart attack on September 3, 2007. Born in Sumter, S.C., January 20, 1936, he was the son of K.P. Forester and Louise Joye Forester. He graduated from Davidson College in 1958, where he was a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, was tapped into ODK, the honorary national leadership society, and was a distinguished military student. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the United States Army (artillery) in 1958, and served on active duty until 1959. He served in the U.S. Army Reserves until 1969, achieving the rank of captain. He took great pride in his military service to his country. After a brief stint with the family business in Sumter, he moved to Charlotte in 1963 and began a distinguished career in real estate, focused on commercial and residential development and property management. Among his many accomplishments in real estate were his fifteen years of service as executive vice-president of SYNCO, Inc. and his twelve years as president of the Lake Norman Company. He was a charter member of the Charlotte Property Management Association and a long-time member of the Charlotte Board of Realtors. A lasting legacy of his vision and skill in real estate development is the Davidson Landing Community on Lake Norman. Ken frequently said that the most important transaction he ever negotiated was convincing Barbara Boyd of Lenoir, N.C., to marry him on June 19, 1965. Beyond his devotion to family and career, Mr. Forester was committed to public service and to his church. He was for many years an active Presbyterian Elder at Covenant Presbyterian Church, serving as chairman of the Finance Committee and in other capacities, and was honored for that service by being named Elder Emeritus. Among his civic activities, most prominent was his twenty years of service on the Board of Spirit Square, and as its chairman during the period 1990-1991. In recognition of his service to East Carolina University, he was named an honorary alumnus in 1992. His dedication to good causes will be missed by a wide spectrum of the Charlotte community. He is survived by his wife, Barbara Boyd Forester, 100 Amrita Ct., Charlotte, N.C. 28211-4019; his children, Michelle F. Cole (Justin) and Kenneth P. Forester III; his granddaughter, Lydia G. Cole; a sister, Ellen Forester Perkinson (A.P.); and four nephews and numerous grand-nephews.
John Tabor Drew ’59 passed away suddenly at his home on November 16 in Winston-Salem, N.C. He was born on February 9, 1937, to Thomas Champion Drew and Ella A. Tabor Drew in Spartanburg, N.C. He spent his early days in Gaffney, S.C., and graduated with honors from Gaffney High School. He was in varsity football and participated in many organizations. He was an Eagle Scout. He attended Davidson College and later transferred to UNC Chapel Hill where he graduated with a BS degree in business management. He was employed by GMAC and retired after thirty-seven years with BB&T. He held many offices, among those, loan officer and vice president. He was also a graduate of the School of Banking, UVA, Charlottesville, Va. Among his interests, he enjoyed history, golfing, and fishing. He was a member of Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church in Winston-Salem, N.C. He is survived by his loving wife, Twila Jean Rath Drew, 5001 Meadow Hill Ct., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106-4279; daughter, Deborah Jean Drew Streett (Donald); grandson, Tyler Dale Streett; his brother, Thomas Champion Drew III (Nancy); and four nephews and a niece.
William Sykes Forbis, Sr. ’62 of Thomasville, N.C., died August 11 at his residence. He was born December 30, 1939, in Rocky Mount, N.C., a son of the late Rev. Robert Lee Forbis, Jr. and Elizabeth Sykes Forbis. He spent his early childhood years in Moultrie, Ga. He was a veteran of the U.S. Air Force, serving in Air Weather Service at Gunter Air Force Base in Montgomery, Ala. He was a 1968 graduate of Davidson College and earned a Masters Degree in social work from the University of Georgia School of Social Work in 1970. His career of service began as a counselor with Foothills Mental Health Center in Lenoir, N.C., where he served from 1970–1974. He served as director of the Foothills Mental Health Center in Marion, N.C., from 1974–1976. From 1976–1980 he served as director of Davidson County Mental Health Center, and under his leadership, The John Varner Mental Health Center was built in Thomasville. Bill worked in private practice from 1980–84, then served as a therapist with children and youth in Guilford County. He retired as an LCSW with Guilford County Mental Health in 2003. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Thomasville since 1976, and served as a Deacon and Elder and was actively involved with “Pennies for Hunger” and the church's Centennial celebration. He was preceded in death by his parents, Robert L. Forbis, Jr. ’33 and Mary Elizabeth Sykes Forbis. He is survived by his son, William S. Forbis, Jr. (Valerie); daughter, Heather Forbis Marks ’90 (John); grandson, Jonathan Marks; sister, Mrs. Mary Forbis Root (Dave); brother, Robert Lee Forbis III (Betty); and a great-aunt, Judy Forbis.
Thomas M. Patrick, Jr. ’62 died suddenly at his home in Greenville, S.C., on October 23. A native of Greenville County, he was the son of the late Thomas Moore Patrick, Sr., and Margaret McLeod Patrick. He was the 1958 student body president of Taylors High School and class valedictorian. He was also an Eagle Scout. He graduated from Davidson College in 1962, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Omicron Delta Kappa, and from the University of Virginia JD class of 1965, where he was a member of the Coif and the Raven Society. He served thirteen months in Vietnam as a military Intelligence Army officer. He was a lieutenant colonel in the Reserves. From 1971 to 1998 he was a lecturer of law at Clemson University. He served on numerous boards, including the Greenville Housing Authority Board, Habitat for Humanity, and Western Carolina Legal Services Board. He was a member of the Downtown Greenville Rotary Club, Torch Club, the St. Andrew Society of the Upstate, and the Poinsett Club. He was a former member of First Presbyterian Church of Greer, serving as secretary of the Board of Deacons. He was a communicant of Christ Church, Greenville, and summer member of the Church of the Transfiguration in Saluda, N.C. He was a past chairman of the Greenville Historic Preservation Commission and coordinator of historic highway markers for Greenville County. He was an active member of the American Boxwood Society and patented a boxwood variety named for Thomas Jefferson. He is survived by his wife, Frances (Hedi) Hearon Patrick, 14 Woodvale Ave., Greenville, S.C. 29605; daughter, Frances Hedrick Patrick Lewis (Derek); sister, Jane Patrick; brother, Dr. Alexander Patrick; and a number of nieces and nephews.
Orvin Reese Coppage, Jr. ’64 of Tampa, Fla., died September 21 after suffering from ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) for several years. He was born January 14, 1942, in Columbus, Ga., son of the late O.R. (Buster) Coppage and Mary White Coppage. He graduated from Columbus High School, Davidson College, and earned a graduate degree from Georgia State College. From 1966 to 1990, he was chief executive officer of several periodical wholesale distribution agencies and was active in several related trade associations. He was also a member of the Rotary Club of Tampa. In the last several years, he became involved with various Community Foundation of Tampa Bay committees and philanthropic endeavors. He is survived by his wife, Martha Ann McConnell Coppage, 1112 Culbreath Isles Dr., Tampa, Fla. 33629; son, Christopher R. Coppage (Evelyn); daughter, Catherine Bingham (David); two grandsons, Caleb Stricklen and Carter Bingham; his brother, James T. Coppage (Janet); and his sister, Lynn Land (A.J.).
Dr. Michael L. Harrington ’66 of Oxford, Miss., died October 4. He was born in Portland, Ore. A graduate of Davidson College, he completed both his master’s and Ph.D. at Emory University. He joined the Department of Philosophy and Religion at the University of Mississippi as an assistant professor in 1970, and spent his entire career there and retired as chair in 2006. He is survived by his wife, Mary Mathison Harrington, 217 Colonial Rd., Oxford, Miss. 38655; two daughters, Elizabeth and Emily Harrington; and two brothers, Peter Harrington and Lee Harrington.
The Rev. Dr. William J. Wiseman, Jr. ’66 died October 17 when the plane he was piloting crashed near Glenpool, Okla. Elected to the House of Representatives in 1974 at the age of thirty, he served three terms making him a rising star in Oklahoma politics. After a career in politics, he earned a divinity degree while living in Tulsa, Okla., and working at the University of Central Oklahoma. For the last year, he had been vicar of the Church of the Holy Cross of Owasso while continuing as UCO’s director of university relations. He is survived by his sons, John William Wiseman and James Patrick Wiseman, 15 E. Putnam Ave., Apt. 343, Greenwich, Conn. 06830-5424; his parents, Mavis and William Wiseman, Sr.; and two sisters, Jennifer Wiseman and Mary Wiseman.
William V. Youkey ’71 died September 13 in Birmingham, Ala., after a courageous battle against Gillain-Barre Syndrome. A graduate of Davidson College and Central Michigan University, he retired from the U.S. Army as a Lt. Col. with 21 years of active service. He was employed with DRS-Test and Energy Management Inc. for the last thirteen years. He was an active volunteer in the community, providing hours of service to churches, to The Ark, a local animal shelter, and to the South Hampton Nursing Home. Through the years, he supported the First Presbyterian Church of Huntsville, the Big Cove Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Universalist Church of Huntsville. He had many interests and hobbies including golf, racquetball, music, writing, and Alabama football, but the most important thing to him was spending time with family and friends. He is survived by his wife, Carol Youkey, 2970 Hampton Cove Way, Owens Cross Roads, Ala. 35763-9330; sons, Dec Youkey (Leslie) and Steven Youkey; daughter, Stafford Youkey; grandson, Declan Youkey; mother and stepfather, Dorothy and Robert Gruen; sister, Marti Hawkins; niece, Jennifer Whyte; and nephew, Chad Hawkins.