Reference Checks: Careful and objective reference checks can help in evaluating potential staff members whose prior education, experience, and/or performance constitute significant qualification for employment. Reference checks must be performed on an equitable and nondiscriminatory basis. Hence, if any candidate’s references are to be checked, then those of all serious candidates for that job should be checked.
POSSIBLE REFERENCE QUESTIONS
- How do you know the applicant?
- Describe how they interact with their team members, as well as other employees.
- Name 3 Assets/Strengths
- Name 3 Weaknesses
- Give some examples of how the applicant acts under pressure and how they deal with multiple tasks.
- Describe the applicant’s ability to learn new skills (Can be position specific).
- Give examples of the applicant’s ability to work with details.
- How does the applicant deal with problems/conflicts? How did they overcome
- If you had to describe the applicant in a sentence or two, what would that sentence be?
- If you were making the decisions, give reasons why you would hire this person.
Telephone Interview Tips:
- Be relaxed, calm and courteous
- Explain the purpose of the call
- Ask permission to continue the call
- Expand your information
- The voice’s body language
- Dealing with resistance