Hiring Managers should understand all of the steps that must be taken to fill an open position at Davidson.
- Send HR the resignation letter or termination documentation for the process to begin.
- Determine your needs for a new employee--review the job description and make any necessary changes. Send changes to HR.
- Discuss any salary changes with HR prior to the job posting.
- Post the position at https://jobs.davidson.edu. (see People Admin Tips and Tricks (pdf) for help on the administrative side).
- Review the resumes and applications that are submitted online.
- Set up interviews with the top candidates.
- Call references.
- Once a selection is made and approved by the department head, send an email to Michelle Gruslin justifying the hire. This email should include:
- position title,
- hire selection with brief supporting statement,
- names of other candidates interviewed,
- names of those from Davidson College involved in the interview process, and
- suggested pay rate.
- HR will review the information and approve the hire contingent upon the results of the background check.
- At this time, a verbal offer can be made by the supervisor. Supervisor must tell applicant the offer is contingent upon the results of the background check.
- When the results of the background check are received, HR will review the results and confirm or deny the hire.
- Supervisor should contact personally all interviewed candidates. Update the applicant pool by changing their status in the Applicant Tracking System to either "Hired", "Not Hired" or "Not Hired - Send Regret". HR will prompt the system to send the automated regret emails once all statuses are changed.
- Once the hire is approved, complete the New Hire Action Form.
- Send the New Hire to HR on day one to complete the I-9. Review time entry procedures.
- Refer to the New Hire Checklist and Orientation information to best welcome the new employee.