- Decide roughly what you want. You may think you already know, but we encourage you to look through the recommended systems anyway, to see what is now available. There may turn out to be new options that would be very helpful to your situation, that you never would have thought to ask about otherwise.
- Request an individual purchase consultation. Mention whatever decisions you have already made, and any areas you would like to explore further. If you can provide some detail about how you work or plan to use the system, we may be able to point out useful options or alternatives.
- A consultant will contact you to further discuss your needs, answer any questions you may have, and provide price quotes. (As prices are subject to change daily, they are not listed on this web site.)
- When the consultant provides you with a final quote, forward the message back to the consultant to confirm that this is the system you want. Include the budget account number to be charged. (Please don't send the account number until you are ready to finalize the order.) Once you have provided this information, we will submit the order to the vendor and it becomes final. Our vendors generally begins processing orders within hours of submission, and the order cannot be changed or cancelled once processing begins.
- Orders usually arrive in one to two weeks, though they can take several weeks longer if a component is in short supply or if you have ordered a new or high-demand model.
- While you are waiting, take the opportunity to "clean house": remove or archive old data files which are no longer needed; make sure you know where all of your data files are located, so they can be moved to the new computer; and locate the disks or download locations for any non-standard software or drivers which you will need to reinstall after the delivery.
- When your system has arrived and the operating system and software have been installed, someone from ITS will contact you to schedule delivery.
- During your delivery appointment, we will: back up your data to the network; physically disconnect the old computer; physically set up the new computer; and restore your data, printer connections, and any supported peripherals to their new home. It is up to your department or division to decide where the old computer is going next.
- After delivery, you may reinstall any non-standard software or hardware you wish to continue using.
- Contact the Help Desk with any questions about using your new computer system.