Understand all of the basic steps that must occur to fill an open position.
Selecting the right employee goes beyond the interview process. Understand all the steps necessary not just to select the employee but to keep them.
- PeopleAdmin (pdf)--Tips and Tricks for Hiring Managers using Davidson's Employment Applicant System.
- Advertising -- Interested in advertising a position? Check out the policies and costs.
- Posting Policies -- Rules for job postings for external and internal positions
Interviewing and Selection
HR conducts a Supervisor Training course which includes Davidson hiring procedures as well as tips and tricks for successful interviews and selection. Contact Ann Todd for more information. Other useful information includes:
- Interview Question Don'ts! Review this list of questions before any interview or prescreening questioning.
- EEOC Guidelines--Before you hire, know the law! It is illegal to discriminate in any aspect of employment, including hiring.
- Questions an Applicant Might Ask--Be prepared to answer questions about the college, the position and yourself!
- Questions for References--References should be contacted for all final candidates.
- Background Check Release Form--Should be completed by all final candidates (see Inside Davidson for most up-to-date form).
Once a candidate is selected, the hiring manager must complete a number of steps.
- Steps in the Hiring Process--make sure you understand all the steps to take.
- Justify the Hire--BEFORE the job is offered, be sure to send an email to HR including a brief statement on the selection, the list of interviewed candidates, members of the interview process and the suggested pay rate.
- New Hire Form (interactive PDF). This form prompts the Human Resources and Payroll functions necessary for all new hires. Must be completed by the Supervisor as far in advance of the start date as possible.
Many new hires question their decision to change companies by the end of the first day in a new job. Employees that leave jobs within the first six months often do so because they didn’t feel welcomed.
- New Employee Resources--A wide variety of resources are posted on the HR site including perks, policies, parking and more!
- New Employee Orientation --Supervisors should release employees to attend Orientation, held the last Wednesday of every month. This is paid time and highly encouraged for all.
- New Hire Checklist (interactive PDF)--EVERY hiring manager should work through the checklist with each new hire.
Change of Status
- Employee Status Change (interactive PDF)--Use this form for submitting pay changes, job title change, departmental changes and reporting lines.
The training department in Human Resources is responsible for Supervisor Training, as well as the coordination of other training programs across campus. Contact Ann Todd, 704-894-2214 with questions or suggestions.