Charles Ernest Edgar Jr. ’28, a Mobile businessman and civic leader who was the Mobile Rotary Club’s 2003 Rotarian of the Year, died August 1, 2007. He was 100 years old. Born two weeks after the hurricane of 1906 blew through town, he lived through a century of Gulf Coast changes. A student in Mobile’s public schools through seventh grade, he transferred to University Military School and graduated in 1924, later becoming one of the 15 original members of the school’s board of trustees. He attended Davidson for two years, returning to Mobile to work in a prospering business, Coca-Cola. He eventually worked his way up to the position of treasurer. Edgar and his lifelong buddy, Augustine “Gus” Meaher Jr., spent many an afternoon after school, Edgar said, heading out to Belle Camp, the Bellingraths’ property prior to its opening as Bellingrath Gardens, to hunt and fish. They hunted together every Saturday until Meaher’s death in 2001. A former member of the Mobile Junior Chamber of Commerce and the board of the Bellingrath-Morse Foundation, Edgar’s sense of Bellingrath history was treasured by many. He was preceded in death by his first and second wives, Amelia Lyon Moore, then Mary Leila Williams. Survivors include his two sons, Maj. Gen. Ernest Edgar III of Auburn and Walter Bellingrath Edgar ’65, 1731 Hollywood Dr., Columbia, S.C .29205; a daughter, Serena Edgar Willcox of Mobile; five grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, including Elizabeth Rean Edgar ’96.
William Kendrick Pritchett ’29, one of the nation’s foremost scholars on Greek language, culture and literature, died May 29, 2007, in his Berkeley home after a fall. As a UC Berkeley professor of Greek he patiently helped students beginning to learn a difficult language. But in the academic world, he reveled in his reputation as a combative scholar, eager to challenge other academics and long-accepted beliefs. During his 28 years as a professor in the department of classics—including four as its chairman—and after his retirement, he wrote more than 30 books and 100 articles. The topics included ancient Greek grammar and syntax, literature and historiography, topography, war, religion, political institutions, chronography and the study of inscriptions carved into marble. But he always loved teaching, and despite his experience and reputation, insisted on teaching elementary Greek as often as possible. At Davidson he was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. He earned a master’s from Duke University in 1930. He earned a doctorate in 1942 from Johns Hopkins University. From 1936 to 1942, he was a researcher in the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps shortly after Pearl Harbor and rose to the rank of captain before leaving the military and returning to Princeton. In 1948, he was hired as an associate professor of Greek in the UC Berkeley classics department. At UC, he distinguished himself as an authority in the fields of Greek typography, military science and practice, and the intricacies of the Athenian calendar and time-reckoning. He traveled extensively in Greece to establish the veracity of such historians as Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon and Polybios, whose accounts were often viewed with skepticism by modern academics. He was preceded in death by his wife, Elizabeth Dow, and daughter, Katherine. He is survived by two grandchildren.
T. Russell Nunan ’30, retired Presbyterian minister of Atlanta, Ga., and Greenville, Miss., died December 8, 2006. At Davidson, he was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary, a Fellow of Yale School of Alcohol Studies, and was awarded an honorary doctor of divinity degree from Belhaven College. He was ordained into the ministry in 1936 and served pastorates in Georgia, Louisiana, and Alabama. He was minister emeritus of Greenville (Miss.) Presbyterian Church. He retired in 1972 to serve small churches. He served as a U.S. Navy chaplain in World War II and the Korean War, and in the U.S. Navy Reserves until retirement. On his ninetieth birthday, the Mississippi legislature honored him for his contributions to Mississippi. He served as a member of the board of directors of French Camp Academy, Mississippi Fire Fighters Memorial Burn Center, Lighthouse Lodge, Mississippi Library Association, and the Bessie J. Taylor Home. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Genevieve Hill Nunan, c/o Norma Hill, 1468 Fairview Ave., Greenville, Miss. 38701.
Leonard Dickinson Hooks ’32 died June 2, 2007 in Goldsboro, N.C. He attended Davidson and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was a farmer and insurance agent in Fremont and a tobacconist on the bright leaf and burley markets in North Carolina and Tennessee until his retirement. Leonard was a longtime member of Fremont United Methodist Church and served as a town councilman for several years. His wife of 66 years, Edith Griggs Bowman, preceded him in death. Survivors include his daughters, Betty Hooks Henderson of Raleigh and Lynn Hooks Alexander, 119 W Keeling Rd., Greensboro, NC 27410; son-in-law Barry Alexander of Greensboro; brother George Leon Hooks Jr. of Rocky Mount; grandchildren, Johanna Henderson Reese of Cary, Amy Henderson Hoglund, Christopher Hooks Alexander of Raleigh, Douglas Leonard Henderson of Durham, and Walter Leonard Alexander of Portland, Ore.; five great-grandchildren; and nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Edith Bowman Hooks; sister, Mary Hooks Brown; and brother, William Robert Hooks.
Arnold Ray ’34 of Lexington, N.C., died July 7, 2007. He retired from the U.S. Postal Service. He served in the Navy during World War II and was a member of American Legion Post 8 and VFW Post 3074. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church. His wife, Mary Blue Ray, preceded him in death on March 1, 2007, as well as a sister, Charlotte Ray. Survivors include his daughters, Ann Ray Parks and her husband, Charles Parks Jr., 101 Cherokee Drive, Lexington, N.C. 27295; and Mary Blue Ray of Charlotte; his grandson, Charles C. Parks III and his wife, Melissa, of Lexington; and his great-grandson, Charles Parks IV.
Sarah Elizabeth Jetton ’35 of Davidson, N.C., died May 29, 2007. She retired from her business career in 1978, where she was employed by predecessor companies of Barclays/American Corporation as executive secretary to Edwin P. Latimer and Herman A. Moore for more than 30 years. Since her retirement she had been active in the community, especially the Davidson Senior Services and the Davidson Retirement Community. She served as a board member of each of these organizations. She was a lifelong member of the Davidson College Presbyterian Church. Her cousins, Betty J. Liffrig and Hugh Jetton, survive her. Her parents and her brother, William Howard Jetton ’30, preceded her in death.
Edwin Lee Ellis ’39, longtime high school educator and former dean of students at The Athenian School in Danville, Calif., passed away June 15. He was 90 years old. The cause was a combination of complications from stroke, prostate cancer, and pneumonia. As a former wrestler, it took three heavyweights to pin him down. His passing was as he wished: peacefully, naturally, in his own home, and surrounded by his friends and loved ones. He was born in Uremia, Persia, and came to live in the United States at 15 and attended the Stony Brook School in Long Island, New York. He taught at the Chadwick School on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California from 1939 to 1942, went back to teach at the Western Reserve Academy to coach wrestling in Hudson, Ohio, from 1942 to 1949, and returned to Chadwick to be the dean of students and director of athletics there from 1949 to 1966. Then, he was invited by Dyke Brown to be dean of students at the newly founded Athenian School, nestled in the foothills of Mount Diablo. He helped build the school from the ground up, and particularly contributed to the development of Athenian’s facilities and sports programs. In his retirement, he remained very active with the alumni associations for all the schools where he taught and attended, and was very highly regarded by the students whose lives he touched over his 68-year career. He was always an example of strong moral character, loyalty, trust, dedication, and perseverance. He was a pillar in his community, and will always be remembered lovingly by his family, friends, students, and colleagues. Among his survivors is a daughter, Ms. Jean An Ellis, 220 Milo Pl., San Ramon, Calif. 94583.
William C. “Bud” Gilmore, Jr. ’40 of Tampa, Fla., went to be with his Lord, June 4, 2007. At Davidson he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. In 1941 he completed his master of science degree in physics at Vanderbilt University. He also completed a graduate degree at the Graduate School of Banking at Louisiana State University. During World War II, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps to serve as a meteorologist. When he was stationed at Drew Field in Tampa, he met Betsy McMichael, and the couple fell in love. Shortly thereafter, Bud was sent to China, where he forecast the weather for bombers flying over “The Hump” the Himalaya Mountains. After his discharge in fall 1945, Lt. Colonel Gilmore and Betsy were married. He worked for two years with Delta Airlines in Atlanta, Ga. Later in Tampa, he took a position with I.W. Phillips, designing air conditioning and heating systems. In 1962, he was employed by the Tampa Chamber of Commerce Committee of 100 in charge of industrial development. In 1966, he went to work at the First National Bank of Tampa, and he retired from the bank in March 1987, as senior vice president in charge of national accounts. He was a member of the American Bankers Association, the American Meteorological Association, Hillsborough Lodge #25 Free and Accepted Masons, Scottish Rite, and Egypt Temple Shrine. He was on the board of directors for Tampa General Hospital and the board of directors of the Southwest Florida Blood Bank in Tampa from 1976 to 2000. He also worked tirelessly for almost sixty years as a Sunday school teacher, deacon, and elder at Hyde Park Presbyterian Church. His extended Tampa family looked to him for guidance in managing their family groves and businesses. He was a servant to all, was never afraid to get his hands dirty and would let no job go undone. Survivors include his wife of sixty-one years, Betsy McMichael Gilmore, 4902 Bayshore Blvd., Apt. 501, Tampa, Fla. 33611-3864; his daughter, Susan Gilmore McSwain (Randy) of Bradenton, Fla.; his son, William C. Gilmore III of Dallas, Texas; his daughter, Beth Gilmore Reineke (Mike) of Lutz, Fla.; his grandchildren, Gil (Anna) McSwain, Matt (Becky) McSwain, Billy (Mary Beth) McSwain, and Jordan and Nathan Reineke, and his great-granddaughter, Abigail Joy McSwain.
George Laing Milne ’40 of Barrington, Ill., died June 23, 2007 in Long Grove, Ill. After college he traveled to Korea on a teaching mission, but was sent back to American shortly after arriving due to the outbreak of the war. He attended Columbia University and enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve. He was one of the “90 Day Wonders” who completed Northwestern University’s Midshipman School at Abbott Hall in Chicago in 1941. He served on a destroyer escort in the Pacific, the USS Marsh, and attained the rank of Lt. JG. He was married to Elizabeth Brookfield Milne of Chicago for fifty-nine years and they made their home first in Riverside and then in St. Charles for over forty years. He served on the school board for Community District 303. George spent his career in publishing in Chicago, first with Domestic Engineering Company, of which he became president, and then as senior vice president of Vance Publishing, until his retirement in 1983. He was initiated into the Home Center Hall of Fame in its first year for his contributions in publishing to the Home Center Industry. He and Elizabeth retired to Hilton Head Island, S.C., for fifteen years until health considerations brought them to Barrington in 1998. In Barrington he was a member of the Presbyterian Church and the Lions Club and a fixture on Main Street, walking home everyday from Egg Harbor Restaurant, his home away from home. His wife, Elizabeth Brookfield Milne, preceded him in death. He is survived by his daughters Carol (David) Nelson, 210 East Liberty, Barrington, Ill. 60010, and Susan (John) Ritter of Vientiane, Laos; and three grandchildren, Claire (Francis) Grunow of Detroit, Brooke (Timothy) Graham of Portland, Oregon, and Dylan (Kelly) Nelson of Barrington. Memorial gifts may be mailed to the Davidson College Annual Fund for the Class of 1940, Box 7170, Davidson, N.C. 28035-7170, or made by calling 704-984-2103.
George Washington Stowe, Jr. ’40, of Gastonia, N.C., died June 9, 2007. At Davidson he was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He continued his education at N.C. State University, earning a master’s in textile engineering. During World War II, he was a captain in the U.S. Army Air Corps, flying B-25 Bombers for the Fourteenth Air Force as a member of the Flying Tigers Squadron in China. After completing his training, George flew his new B-25 from Greenville, S.,C. across the Atlantic Ocean and North Africa to his base in Kunming, China. He flew fifty-two missions, and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service. After the war, George married his college sweetheart, Kathryn Crosby from Leland, Miss. The newlyweds moved back to Belmont and George joined his father in managing Crescent Spinning Company. He took over as president in 1958, and led a profitable company until sale to Pharr Yarns in 1972. He was an officer of the Combined Yarn Spinners Association, and served a term as president. He was a longtime board member of the Bank of Belmont, and later served on Wachovia’s Belmont Advisory Board. He was also a member of the boards of directors of several Gaston County textile companies, including Eagle Yarn Mills and Belmont Heritage Corporation. George was a faithful member of First Presbyterian Church of Belmont and served several terms on both the diaconate and the session. Survivors include his wife of sixty-two years, Kathryn Crosby Stowe, 1351 Robinwood Rd., Gastonia, N.C. 28054; sons and daughters-in-law, Harold Crosby Stowe and wife Claudia of Pawley’s Island, S.C.; George W. Stowe, III and wife, Jill of Asheville, N.C.; daughter Merrilyn Stowe Williams and husband Bill of South Windsor, Conn.; eight grandchildren whom George especially enjoyed, Crosby, Maya, Blair, Patrick, and Judson Stowe, and Eli, Jake, and Matthew Williams; and two great-grandchildren, Jack and Noelle Williams. In addition to his parents, his stepmother, Hazel Stowe, and two sisters, Mary Margaret Stowe Hunter of Belmont and Mabel Stowe Query of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., preceded him in death. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the George W. Stowe, Jr. Scholarship Fund supporting Gaston County students at Davidson College, in care of The Community Foundation of Gaston County, P.O. Box 123, Gastonia, N.C. 28053.
George Wright Jr. ’40 of Asheville, N.C., died on October 30, 2006. At Davidson, he was captain of the basketball team. He was an aerial photographer during World War II and served as an army captain in the Burma Theater of Operations. He spent his career in sales serving as vice-president of sales for Arbor Acres Farms and Ross Poultry Breeders. George prided himself on maintaining good relationships with both his customers and his salesmen. George called everyone “Good Buddy” and he meant it. George was an avid golfer and enjoyed playing at Biltmore Forest Country Club with his three sons and many friends. In later years, George and Martha lived in Oak Forest where he developed a love for gardening and grew many varieties of lilies. He was husband of sixty-one years to the late Martha Wright. Survivors include daughters Jane Youel (John), Janet Wright; and sons, George Wright III, Edward Wright (Sheila), and Jim Wright (Trudy) He was a wonderful grandfather to Lesley Caetta, Jason Gantt, Kacy Depenbrock, Matthew Wright, Joseph Wright and Jenna Wright; great-grandfather to five; brother of Irene Anderson of West Asheville; and a loving uncle and great uncle.
Harry F. Barnett ’41 of Burlington, N.C., died November 3, 2006. He was a retired minister. He earned his B.D. from Columbia Theological Seminary. He was organizing pastor for the New Life Presbyterian Church in Sydney, Australia, 1990-91. He also served pastorates in North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. He served as moderator of Orange Presbytery in 1963. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1945–46 and from 1957–60, retiring as a lieutenant commander. Survivors include his wife, Sue Miller Barnett, 343 Baldwin Rd., Apt. A2-6, Burlington, N.C. 27217; three children, Ellen, Stephen and Timothy, nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
John Jacob Barnhardt, Jr. ’42 of Charlotte, N.C., died July 19, 2007. He enrolled at Davidson College but transferred to Cornell University after his freshman year in order to pursue his interest in chemical engineering. At Cornell, he won a McMullen Scholarship that paid his full tuition and was a member and president of Kappa Sigma social fraternity. Following graduation from Cornell in May 1942, he began active service as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army in North Africa and Italy, where he was a staff officer in Allied Forces headquarters and aide de camp to General John W. Coffey. He participated in the planning and staging of most of the Allied operations in the Mediterranean Theater, including land operations in Tunisia and amphibious operations in Sicily, Salerno, Anzio, and the invasion of southern France. He was promoted to captain in 1945 and returned to civilian life after a tour of duty as commandant of the Ordnance School in Fort Crook, Neb. He began a thirty-four year business career as a junior research chemist with the Dyes and Chemicals Division of E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Co. of Wilmington, Del. He progressed through sales and technical assignments in Deepwater, N.J., Charlotte and Greensboro, N.C., to management positions in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Wilmington, Del. His positions with DuPont included district manager, regional manager, national sales manager, and eventually divisional marketing manager. Following retirement in 1980, he divided his time between homes in Charlotte and Hilton Head Island. He and his wife moved to the Cypress Club of Charlotte in 2004. For several years he served as a volunteer tax counsel for the elderly, working with the Shepherd’s Center of Charlotte. He was a dedicated Rotarian in several cities and continued as an active member for more than twenty-five years. He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church and the Piedmont Club of Charlotte. His wife of sixty-three years, Mabel Fishburne Barnhardt, died in September 2006. Survivors include three children: John J. Barnhardt III, an attorney in Charlotte; Richard F. Barnhardt, a member of the faculty at Woodberry Forest School, and Elizabeth B. (Betsy) Sessoms, a mortgage banker on Hilton Head Island. Four grandchildren also survive him: Bradford H. Barnhardt, Amanda M. Barnhardt, John Addison Barnhardt, and Elizabeth Brookner Barnhardt.
John Hayes Crichton ’42 died May 16, 2007 after a long illness. He had resided in San Antonio, Texas, for the past eighteen years. Prior to that he lived in Palm Beach, Fla., and San Francisco, Calif. He was company commander of the 155th Infantry in New Guinea in World War II. He was a Major, G-2 Section of 6th Army in charge of intelligence gathering and was aide to Gen. Walter Krueger, the 6th Army Commander. After military service, he earned his law degree at Louisiana State University and attended New York University’s program in taxation. He was an attorney in Shreveport, La., managing director of Better Hotels of Louisiana, CEO of Computer Controls of Palm Beach, Fla., and owner and CEO of The Commonwealth Group in San Francisco, Calif., from 1973-1992. He was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Survivors include his wife Flora Cameron Crichton, 315 Westover Rd., San Antonio, Texas 78209; his daughters Kate C. Gubelmann of Palm Beach, Fla., Anne C. Clark of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, Lili C. Monell of Palm Beach, Fla.; a son John H. Crichton, Jr. of Sarasota, Fla., and a stepdaughter Megan C. Finch of Austin, Texas. Grandchildren Phoebe and Bingo Gubelmann, Tantivy Bostwick, Crichton Clark, James Clark, Peter Clark, Emily Clark, Maia Monell and John H. Crichton, III; and two nephews Thomas Crichton, IV and Scott Crichton also survive him.
J. Richard “Dick” Funkhouser ’42 of Sunnyside Retirement Community, Harrisonburg, died July 3, 2007. Dick attended Davidson College and Madison College. He was the founder and owner of Service Stationers, Inc., of Harrisonburg for forty-four years. He was a member of the Exchange Club of Harrisonburg, where he served in different capacities including president and member of the board of directors. He was a member of Asbury United Methodist Church, the Sons of the American Revolution and the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society. He was an avid reader and gardener and enjoyed traveling. He was preceded in death by his parents, one daughter, Molly L. Funkhouser, one brother, Grey Funkhouser, and five sisters, Catherine Liles, Janet Ellis, Nancy Durham, Lois Yager and Margaret Forbes. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Mary (Partee) Funkhouser, 4520 Grattan Price Dr. Apt. 3, Harrisonburg, Va. 22801-2356; two sons, Dan Funkhouser of Charlottesville, Va., and Edward A. Funkhouser of Alexandria, Va., and several nieces and nephews.
Dr. Richard E. Rankin ’42, formerly of Mt. Holly, died July 5, 2007, in Cramerton, N.C. During World War II, he served as a laboratory technician in the Army Medical Corps, attached to the U.S. Air Force. After his first military service, he attended the two-year medical school at UNC Chapel Hill, and received his M.D. from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in 1950. He completed his internship at Tripler Army Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii, serving during the Korean War. In 1951 he returned to Mt. Holly to establish his family practice, which he continued until his retirement in 1998. The Rankin Clinic was a close-knit group, and he was always grateful to God for the staff that served so long and faithfully: Ellen Featherstone, laboratory technician, for the entire 48 years; Gladys Reece, secretary/receptionist, for 38 years; and Joan Featherstone, nurse, for the last five years. He was a devoted member, deacon, and elder of First Presbyterian, Mt. Holly. He was chairman of the Mt. Holly and Gaston Day School boards, president of the Gaston County Medical Society, and member of the Gaston County Library, Public Health Department, and BB&T, Mt. Holly branch, boards. He was a great admirer and supporter of the Mt. Holly Life Saving Crew. In 1992, he was honored as Mt. Holly Man of the Year. Survivors include his wife Julia P. Rankin, 500 Cramer Mountain Rd., Rm. D5 Cramerton, N.C. 28032-1663; daughter Rev. Kitty Rankin of Dadeville, Ala.; son Dr. Richard Rankin, Jr. and wife Sarah Park of Gastonia, N.C.; and son-in-law John Civils and wife Debbie of Birmingham, Ala. His daughter, Julie Rankin Civils, preceded him in death. His sisters Mary Delia R. Jarman and Jean R. Roberts survive him. His brother Frank B. Rankin and sister Kitty R. Watson preceded him in death. His grandchildren are Stewart Civils, Isaac Rankin, and step-grandchildren are Louisa and Emily Sloan, Katherine Civils, and Khoury and Angel Wood. He also had a number of nieces and nephews, to whom he was devoted.
William H. Shannon ’42 of Jessup Md., died on October 22, 2004. He was a former high school teacher and professor of history at University of Maryland, Western Maryland, and Frostburg State University. He was also director of the board of education, Annapolis, Md. He retired in 1978.
Thomas G. Lane, Jr. ’43 of Charlotte died July 1, 2007. A graduate of local schools, he attended McDonogh School in Maryland, Hampden-Sydney College and graduated from the Law School of the University of North Carolina with a J.D. degree. During World War II, he was in the U.S. Naval Reserve on active duty and in command of a LCT with Sherman tanks and personnel to land at H Hour on D Day, June 6, 1944, at Omaha Beach on the Coast of France and later on the USS LSM 425, returning from the Marianas as skipper to Seattle, for decommissioning in 1946. Upon finishing law school, he entered the practice of law in Charlotte in 1948 and practiced with H. Parks Helms from 1961 to 1988 when he retired. He was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha and Phi Alpha Delta fraternities, and was solicitor of the Charlotte City Recorders Court from 1949–53, and judge pro tem of that court from 1957–59 and was the public administrator of Mecklenburg County from 1955 to 1983. He was an active member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church since joining in 1933. He served as a deacon, elder, Sunday school teacher and president of the men’s Bible class. He volunteered at Presbyterian Hospital. He was a former member of Sharon Civitan Club and was an active member of the Rotary Club of Charlotte. He had been active in the American Cancer Society, the American Diabetes Association, the United Way, Mecklenburg Historical Association, Hugh Torrence House and Store, the Levine Museum of the New South, the Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society, and the Navajo Club. Survivors include his wife of sixty years, Mary Caroline, 2040 Hopedale Ave., Charlotte, N.C. 28207; and daughter, Carol L. Dawson and her husband, Dr. Alfred G. Dawson of Florence S.C., and their children, Dr. Catherine D. Tobin, Alfred G. Dawson, Jr., Caroline Dawson and Melody Dawson; son, Thomas G. Lane, III and his wife, Jane of Bargersville, Indiana and their children, Alex Lane and Kevin Lane; daughter, Katie L. Price and her husband, Timothy of Winston-Salem, N.C. and their children, Christine Price and Carey Price.
Joe C. Nelson, Sr. ’43 of of Cartersville, Ga. died July 3, 2006. He was a veteran of World War II, having served in the U.S. Air Force. He was a retired consultant with Charter Peachford Hospital. He was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Mary (Betty) Smith Nelson, 31 Mission Hills Dr. SW, Cartersville, Ga. 30120; a daughter, Mary Elizabeth Nelson; and granddaughters, Mary Beth Tumlin and Lauren Nelson.
James H. Thomas, Sr. ’44 died August 19, 2006, at the Highlands of Fort Thomas, Ky., where he was a resident. He attended Davidson, graduated from Morris Harvey College and earned a master’s of education from the University of Florida. He was a Navy pilot during both World War II and the Korean Conflict. From 1952 to 2002, He lived in Fort Pierce, Fla., where he was a teacher, coach, and administrator in the St. Lucie County schools. He coached four different sports during his career and was the first head basketball coach at Dan McCarty High School in Fort Pierce. In his later years, Mr. Thomas was an avid golfer and an active member of Indian Hills Country Club. He was a member of Indian River Presbyterian Church. He is survived by a son, James Thomas, Jr., 735 Valleyside Dr., Cold Spring, Ky. 41076; two daughters, Pamela Thomas of New York City and Barbara Thomas Faitella of Fort Pierce, Fla., and three grandchildren, James Thomas III of Atlanta, Susan Thomas of New York City, and Virginia Faitella of Fort Pierce. He was preceded in death by his wife of fifty-three years, Virginia Dearman Thomas and by a son, Timothy Thomas.
William Frederick Rainey ’46 of Columbus, N.C. died March 17, 2007, in Inman, S.C. After graduation from Decatur Boys High, Decatur, Ga., he entered the U.S. Marine Corps and served overseas with the 2nd Marine Division in action against the Japanese at Saipan and Tinian Islands in the Pacific. Following WW II, he graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology with a B.S. in civil engineering and married the late Leila Swink Grady of Kenly, N.C. Before moving to Tryon, N.C. in 1979, he was an active member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Spartanburg, S.C., where he served on the board of deacons and was an elder. He was chief engineer at Reeves Brothers, Inc., Spartanburg, S.C., corporate headquarters from 1966 until his retirement in 1988. He was a registered professional engineer and a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Survivors include one son, William F. Rainey, Jr., P.O. Box 33878, Charlotte, N.C. 28233-3878; and one daughter, Sarah Jo Rainey Tunno, of Spartanburg, S.C.; two grandchildren, Edward Logan Rainey and Anna Kathryn Rainey Crockett both of Winston-Salem, N.C. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lelia, of forty-eight years; a brother, Hiram Watson Rainey Jr., and a sister, Sarah Gray Rainey Glausier.
William C. Wilkinson, II ’46 died May 27, 2007, at Bartow Regional Medical Center from heart failure. While attending Davidson, where he was a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, he was called into active service in the U.S. Army. As a second lieutenant he was a platoon leader in General Patton’s Army. He was wounded in service and returned to the states in 1944. After being discharged from the Army, he graduated from the University of Alabama and then received his M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. He began his career with Jefferson Standard Life Insurance, Greensboro, N.C., as an investment officer. In the late 1950s, he moved to Bartow, where he worked for J.K. Stuart as his personal investment advisor. In the late sixties, the Wilkinsons moved back to Greensboro, where he returned to Jefferson Pilot as an executive vice president. He retired in the early eighties and the couple returned to Bartow in the late nineties where they were reunited with many wonderful friends. He spent the last several years of his life at New Horizons Assisted Living Center, Winter Haven. Survivors include his wife of sixty-one years, Joy Morgan Wilkinson, 855 Mann Rd., Bartow, Fla. 33830; sons, Lawrence Wilkinson ’72 of San Francisco, Lee Wilkinson and his wife Virginia of Asheville, N.C.; and grandchildren, Nora Wilkinson of San Francisco, Nick Wilkinson of Asheville, Jayme Ray and her husband Jason, and daughter Sara Margaret also of Asheville.
William H. Macy, Sr. ’47 of Cumberland, Md., died July 13, 2007. He was a World War II veteran, having served as a first lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal with three clusters. While a student at Davidson, he served the Unity Church (now Calvary Presbyterian Church) as a student pastor. He was a retired president of the Macy Insurance Agency. He was a former president of the Kiwanis Club of Cumberland; Lt. Governor of the West Maryland Kiwanis and board of directors of the Kiwanis Club of Gator City, Fla. Survivors include his son, William H. Macy, Jr., 7095 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, Calif. 90028; and a step-son, Frederick M. Macy. He was preceded in death by his wife of fifty-six years, Lois M. Macy.
The Rev. William Theodore Smith, Jr. ’47 of Denver, N.C., died July 9, 2007. He received a master of divinity from Columbia Theological Seminary. Prior to his call to the ministry at age forty, he was employed by the Sears Corporation. During his ministerial career, he held pastorates at First Presbyterian Church of Franklin, N.C., from 1965–69 and at First Presbyterian Church in Stanley, N.C. for twenty years before his retirement in 1988. He was a visionary leader in the Central Carolina Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of America and a devoted family man. He was a flight instructor in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II. Survivors include his wife of sixty-three years, Elizabeth Ann Holt Smith, 2416 Vantage Ln., Denver, N.C. 28037; one son, William Theodore Smith, III ’81 of Denver, N.C.; two daughters, Becky Hensley of Denver, N.C. and Beth Gibson of Union Grove, N.C.; one sister, Dr. Miriam Frances Smith of Decatur, Ga, and five grandchildren, all of Denver, N.C.
Joe Montford Bruner Jr. ’48, died June 18, 2007. He served as a fighter pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corp during World War II, flying the P-51 Mustang in the Burma/China Theater. He subsequently served for many years in the U.S. Air Force Reserve. Joe worked for over forty years for Coca Cola, most recently as vice-president of production. Joe was a member of First Presbyterian Church of Greensboro, and on the board of directors of Fellowship Hall of Greensboro for twenty years. Survivors include his loving wife of sixty-one years, Nell E. Bruner, 3100 Brookcliff Ct., Greensboro, N.C. 27408; daughter, Susan Bradner and husband, Ken, of Dunlap Tenn.; son, Joseph E. Bruner and wife, Betty Schadle, of Randleman N.C.; sister, Katherine B. Graham of Winston-Salem; and grandchildren, Mathew Bradner, John Bradner, Amy B. Rodriguez and husband, Charly, and Bo Bruner and wife Brooke.
William Egbert “Bill” Campbell, Sr. ’49 of Shelby, passed away on June 4, 2007. He had battled cancer for three years and his life ended with God’s grace. At Davidson, he was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. After college, he traveled to Memphis, Tenn., to study the cotton business and then served for two years in the Army Signal Corps. He returned to Memphis in 1952 to work with the Weil Brothers in the cotton business and married Frances Elizabeth Bodley on April 25, 1953. In 1954, he and Frances moved to Shelby, where he worked with his father in the J.D. Campbell Cotton Co. He later began working as an insurance agent with Prudential and moved to Winston-Salem. When he returned to Shelby in 1959, Bill was asked to be the manager of the Security Life and Trust office. He became an independent agent in Shelby and built quite a business. Only when he recently became very ill did he finally have to give up the work he loved—helping other people. He was a lifelong member of Shelby Presbyterian Church, where he served as an elder, deacon and Sunday school teacher for both the men’s and ladies’ Bible classes. He served twenty-eight years on the Shelby City School Board and was chairman for seventeen. In 1988, he received the prestigious Raleigh Dingham Award for Outstanding Boardsmanship. He also served as President of Shelby Toastmasters, Shelby Swim Club, and Shelby Rotary Club, where he was named a Paul Harris Fellow. He also served on the Shelby Zoning Board. In 1980, the Shelby Lions Club presented him Cleveland County’s Citizen of the Year Award and in 1990, after his retirement from the school board, his hometown proudly honored him by declaring Feb. 5 of that year as “William E. Campbell Day.” Survivors include his wife of fifty-four years, Frances, 7 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, N.C. 28151; his son, Dr. William Egbert Campbell, Jr. and wife, Mary, of Shelby, and their two sons, Parker and Matthew; his son James Bodley Campbell and wife, Riza, of Anacortes, Wash., and his daughter, Mary Jacqueline and their son, James; his daughter, Kathryn Campbell Matney and husband, Brian, of Virginia Beach, Va., and their sons, William and James; and his brother, Dr. John David Campbell Jr. and wife, Gretchen, of Shelby.
R. Springer Hoskins ’50, former editor and vice president of the Harlan Daily Enterprise and former president of the Corbin Times-Tribune, died August 1, 2007,of cancer at Baptist Regional Medical Center in Corbin. A Harlan County native, he joined the Harlan Daily Enterprise, which had been owned by an uncle, about 1951. He worked there for two decades as a reporter, editorial writer and advertising salesman, as well as editor and vice president. He joined the Times-Tribune, of which he was the major stockholder, in 1971. He wrote about a variety of topics, including personal experiences and politics, in a weekly column for that paper called “The Springboard.” The Corbin paper was sold in 1981. His work in the newspaper business came after a stateside stint in a Navy medical unit during World War II and graduation from Davidson where he was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He was a member of the Kentucky Press Association executive committee; past president and a founding member of the Harlan County Jaycees; former member of the Harlan Appalachian Regional Hospital advisory council; former member of the Pine Mountain Settlement School board of trustees; past president of the Corbin Kiwanis Club; and former state Kiwanis Club officer. An elder in the Presbyterian Church, he served as moderator of the Transylvania Presbytery in 1991. He also served several years with the Presbyterian Child Welfare Agency in Buckhorn. He was a deacon at First Presbyterian Church of Harlan and later was a member of Corbin Presbyterian Church. Survivors include his wife, Anne Klein Hoskins, 96 Parsons St., Corbin, Ky. 40701; a son, David Hoskins ’81 of Corbin; two daughters, Caryn Overbey ’83 of Charlotte, N.C., and Mary Anne Hoskins ’87 of Austin, Texas; two sisters; and four grandchildren.
Lawton William “Bill” Cleveland Jr. ’51 passed away on June 15, 2007. Dedicated to his family and friends, he pursued a wide variety of interests, and his life was marked by service to others. From 1951 to 1953, he served with the U.S. Army. In 1988, he retired from Burlington Industries, after thirty-five years. For over forty years, Bill was a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and an elder. He also worked with Salem Presbytery in the area of new church development. An Eagle Scout as a boy, he served as scoutmaster and filled other volunteer positions for many years of his adult life. In 1970, he was awarded the Silver Beaver Award of distinguished service. Other volunteer activities included working for the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program and Habitat for Humanity. He loved the outdoors, and sailing, hunting, golfing, and fishing were among his favorite activities. In recent years, he enjoyed traveling with his wife Sue to Israel, the Greek Isles, and various national parks across the U.S. An avid reader and writer, he enjoyed researching his family genealogy. At Davidson, he was a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Ann Vann Cleveland. Survivors include his wife of eighteen years, Mary Sue Cleveland, 5410 Tory Hill Rd., Greensboro, N.C. 27410; three daughters, Rose Ann Cleveland, Lynn Jackson, Vanessa Messenheimer; stepson, Frankie Jones; four grandchildren; two nephews; and many other relatives and friends.
Amos R. Hardy ’51 of Silver Spring, Md., died March 27, 2007. He is survived by his wife of fifty-four years, Rachel Hardy; children, Carrie (Craig), Ryan, and Amos (Andrea) Hardy; grandchildren, Casey, Rachel, Kathryn, Morgan, Luke, and Tabor.
The Rev. Adolf Otersen, Jr. ’51 of Danville, Va., died unexpectedly November 11, 2006. He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy, serving in World War II. After graduating from Davidson, he worked for the J.C. Penney and Procter & Gamble companies. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va. He served the Pike-Rocky Point Presbyterian Church, Rocky Point, N.C, Bear Grass and Roberson Chapel Presbyterian churches, Williamston, N.C., Trinity Presbyterian Church, Havelock, N.C., Glenwood Park Presbyterian Church, Norfolk, Va., and Shelton Memorial Presbyterian Church, Danville, Va. He retired from the active ministry in December 1990, and after retirement he served as supply pastor in more than a dozen churches in Danville and the surrounding area. Survivors include his wife of forty-five years, Jennie Beck Otersen, 2027 Woodlake Dr, Danville, Va. 24540; a son, William W. Otersen, St. Petersburg, Fla; a son, Mark Hubert Otersen and wife, Anne Rhoton Otersen, Raleigh, N.C.; a daughter, Jenelle Otersen Samson and husband, Justin Samson, Richmond, Va.; and four grandchildren, Meg and Beck Otersen and Jonathan and Christopher Samson, a sister, Camille Otersen Pound and husband, Russell, Columbia, S.C.; a sister, Louisa Otersen Worthington and husband, Thomas, Amherst, Va.
Hugh Puckett Jr. ’51 of Charlotte, N.C., died July 12, 2007. He was employed as a booker for Universal Film Exchanges from September 1951 through December 1955. He was also a Duke Power Company retiree, having worked as a clerk for fuel purchasing departments. He was a member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church where he was a former deacon. He is well remembered, particularly, as a gifted cartoonist. In the Class of ’51 Golden Anniversary booklet there appeared a humorous piece he did titled “Old grad returns to co-ed Davidson” showing a dormitory room door with a co-ed in curlers peeping out the door in response to an old grad, who says, “Excuse me, this was my room back in ‘51. ... May I come in?” Survivors include his wife, Frances Walker Puckett, 3800 Shamrock Dr., Charlotte. N.C. 28215-3220.
Duval Hunter Jr.’52 died June 11, 2007. At Davidson, he was a member of sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. After serving in the Army during the Korean War, Hunter and his wife moved to Sanford, built a home on Lake Monroe and opened Hunter’s Ice and Fuel on 13th Street. He later opened another plant in Pahokee. Duval put on his first snow show during a Christmas season “winter wonderland” at the Grand Cypress Hotel. Later, he gave spring breakers a little of what they left behind when he blew snow on a 200-foot ski slope on a beach ramp in Daytona. He also provided ice for sculptures at area hotels and attractions. Ice was such a big part of Hunter’s life that he named his boat “Igloo,” his son said. He and Jane Reese were married fifty-two years, until her death in 2004. Survivors include his sons, Tom D. Hunter, 1360 SW Ivanhoe Blvd., Apt. 1, Orlando, Fla. 32804; and John Hunter of Sanford, Fla.; daughter, Terry Hunter White of Fort Lauderdale; brother, Herman Hunter Sr. of High Point; and four grandchildren.
Alan D. Macy ’52 of Cumberland, Md., died November 29, 2006. He was a retired real estate manager for Macy Rentals. Previously he was associated with Macy Real Estate and was an agent for Coldwell Bankers. He served in the U.S. Army and was stationed in Korea. He was a member and elder of First Presbyterian Church, Cumberland. At Davidson, he was a member of the Campus Club. Survivors include his wife, Joyce Bestwick Macy, 549 N. 1st St., Cumberland, Md. 21502-7033; four children, Elizabeth M. Leigh, Ellen Sue M. Wallace, Allan D. Macy, Jr., and John Hall Macy.
Larry Hassel “Pat” Patterson ’52 of Asheboro, N.C., died May 10, 2007. He was a U.S. Navy veteran. He was active in a lifetime of scouting, including being a member of Boy Scout Troop 3 in Kannapolis. In 1972 he was awarded the Silver Beaver by the General Greene Council and was elected to the council’s board of directors. In 1997 he received the Randolph District Award of Merit. He served on the Woodfield Development Committee and from 1994–99 served as chairman of the Randolph District Eagle Project. He was a member of the Asheboro Junior Chamber of Commerce, where he served as president in 1958. He was a member of the North Carolina Concrete Masonry Association and in 1979 was elected president of Asheboro Concrete and Building Supply and Hardware. He was a member of the Asheboro Rotary Club and in 1991 was honored as a Rotary Paul Harris Fellow. He was an active member of Central United Methodist Church in Asheboro, where he formerly served as a Sunday school teacher and on the board of trustees. Survivors include his wife, Rose Fincher Patterson, 213 Ridge Ave., Asheboro, N.C 27205.; sons, Darrell Patterson and wife, Wendy, of Shelby; Damon “Pat” Patterson and wife, Jen, of Port Orange, Fla.; daughter, Laurie Foster and husband, Gary, of Carlisle, Pa.; granddaughters, Holly, Genna and Galen Patterson; and grandsons, Brett, Ian, and Jeremy Patterson.
Alexander Gordon Stuart Jr. ’53, retired vice president of the Hanover Shoe Co. and a former Bristolian, died June 1 in Texas. At Davidson, he was a member of the football team and Kappa Sigma fraternity. He later transferred to Emory & Henry College, where he also played football, graduating in 1953. He joined the U.S. Marine Corp, serving with distinction and rising to the rank of captain. He returned to Bristol and began a career in the shoe business with King Brothers Shoe Co. He later joined the M.T. Shaw Shoe Co. in Coldwater, Mich., to direct its sales program nationally. He moved to the Hanover Shoe Co. in 1977 and became president of Hanover’s Pennsylvania-Maryland company, making private label brand shoes for Brooks Brothers, Bass, L.L. Bean, and J.C. Penney, among many others. Upon retirement, he and his wife, Yvonne Louise, bought a home in Hot Springs, Va., where they became active in the community and the Hot Springs Presbyterian Church. He was an avid gardener, a student of history, and a devoted fan of both classical and bluegrass music. He was preceded in death by his sisters, Mary and Patricia. Survivors include his wife, Yvonne, a native Texan, North Ridge Drive, Hot Springs, Va. 24445; a son, Alex; daughters, Martha, Anna and Betty; eight grandchildren; his brother, Robert of Bristol; and his stepsons, Bradley and Nyal Witham of Houston.
T. Frank Wallace ’53 of Shreveport, La., died December 16, 2006. He was director/owner of Wallace Advertising and Printing. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Neva Nabors Wallace, 3718 Reily Ln, Shreveport, La. 71105.
Robert Brindle ’55 died May 18, 2007, following an extended illness. While at Davidson, he enjoyed playing with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. He earned a master of divinity degree in 1958 from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky. He served as pastor of the Cedar Grove Baptist Church in Stamping Ground, Ky., and the Forks of Elkhorn Baptist Church in Midway, Ky., before being called to the Faith Baptist Church in Glen Burnie, Md., as their first pastor. During the 1960s, new Southern Baptist churches were being established in the Northeast, and were affiliated with the Maryland Baptist Convention. The Brindles were asked to serve the South Burlington Baptist Church in Vermont, and moved there in 1966. Bob was appointed a Home Missionary soon thereafter by the national Home Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. He became the director of missions for the northern three New England states, and in 1991 he assumed the role of director of missions for all of New England. He worked closely with various ethnic groups, as Baptist churches were being started in 14 different languages around New England. Following his retirement in 2000, they moved to York and he became a consultant with the Cecil B. Day Foundation, which afforded him the opportunity to provide funding and other resources for churches of many denominations throughout New England. Survivors include his beloved wife of forty-four years, Susan Braden Brindle, 15 Linden Ln., York, Maine 03909-1344; daughters, Janice and her husband, Sam Jones, and their two children, Henry and Everett, of Troy, N.H.; and Jill and her husband, Jeff Ashmen, and their daughter Jackie of Bayville, N.J.; a sister Margaret and her husband, Sandor Horvath, of Grantville, Pa.; sister-in-law, Corine Brindle of Cliffside, N.C. He was preceded in death by a brother, James Brindle.
C. Stein Wilson ’55 of Columbus, Miss., died November 18, 2006. At Davidson, he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary (Richmond), and had served pastorates in Tennessee and Virginia. He was a retired salesman of Dutch Oil Company. Survivors include his wife of fifty-two years, Anne C. Wilson, 106 Eastwood Dr., Columbus, Miss. Four sons, Curt, Mark, David, and Stephen; and four grandchildren.
James Douglas Daniels ’57 beloved husband, father, and grandfather, died June 10, 2007, in Columbia, S.C. He served as a lieutenant in the United States Army 1958–60. He was a faculty member and coach at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. After earning his Ph.D. degree in history from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, he taught history at Valdosta State College in Georgia and served as dean of the School of Arts and Sciences from 1970–80. He served as president and professor of history at Coker College in Hartsville, S.C., from January 1981 until his retirement in June 2002, at which time he received the Order of the Palmetto, South Carolina’s highest civilian honor. He was a member of the Southern Historical Association, Sigma Chi fraternity, and Omicron Delta Kappa. He is listed in the Directory of American Scholars and was a frequent public speaker in historical, athletic and higher education areas. He was past president of the Greater Hartsville Chamber of Commerce, past president of the Hartsville Rotary Club, member of NationsBank Advisory Board (Bank of America), and the Pee Dee Heritage Board. He served the Presbyterian Church as a Sunday school teacher, a deacon, and an elder. He also served on numerous presbytery committees and as a Commissioner in 1991 to the 203rd Presbyterian General Assembly. He is survived by his wife of forty-nine years, Marie B. Daniels, 206 Persimmon Fork Rd., Blythewood, S.C. 29016-8308; sons, Christopher James Daniels ’82 and his wife, Teri, of Columbia, S.C., and Gregory John Daniels of Athens, Ga.; daughter, Susan Daniels Henderson ’91 and her husband, Kyle, of Cheraw, S.C.; five grandchildren, Christopher, Justin, and Alexander Daniels of Columbia, and Catherine and John Henderson of Cheraw; and sister, Pat McJunkin, and her sons, Jim and John McJunkin, of Statesville, N.C.
Joseph Malinoski ’58, of Asheville, N.C., passed away November 2, 2006. He retired as a colonel in the U.S. Army after nearly three decades of service. He was active in the Asheville community in Habitat and other service groups. He was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Olga Sprinkle Malinoski, 103 Panorama Ct., Asheville, N.C. 28806.
John Rhodes Scott ’60 of Delmar, N.Y., physician dedicated to improving the health of children, died February 12, 2007. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, he had retired from the practice of pediatric radiology. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. During his 25 years on the staff of the Albany Medical Center, he contributed immeasurably to improving the health of thousands of infants and young children. He passed away Monday after a courageous four-year fight against lymphoma and melanoma. He loved outdoor activities, a passion he shared and participated in with his two sons. He was a member of the RPI Model Railroad Club and greatly enjoyed constructing buildings and structures to be used in the elaborate RPI model railroad. He took pride in the beautiful private Japanese garden he created. Survivors include his beloved wife, Gail, 26 Fernbank Ave., Delmar, N.Y. 12054-4032; devoted sons, Tim and Ted; his loving stepchildren, Amy Scarlett and Jody Mills; his siblings, Ted, Howard and Marianne Scott Pitner; three grandchildren; and former wife, Julie.
Mr. Lucius Herman Harvin III ’61 died on May 30 in Henderson. He attended Davidson and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1960. He earned his juris doctorate from Duke University School of Law in 1963. His college and law school accomplishments included ROTC Cadet of the Year, member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, the Russell M. Roberson Award, and member of the Duke Law Journal. He practiced law with the firm of Wilcox, Cook, Savage, and Lawrence in Norfolk, Va., before returning to his hometown to work with Rose’s Stores, Inc., beginning in real estate and culminating as chairman of the board and chairman of the executive committee. He was president and board member of the International Mass Retailers Association. In 1992, He was inducted into the Discount Hall of Fame. He was a member of the Henderson City Council, the Henderson YMCA, the Rotary Club, and the First Presbyterian Church. He was on the Duke Law School Board of Visitors, a board member emeritus, a member of the Founder’s Society of Duke University, a member of the Barrister’s Club, and an executive member of the N.C. Citizens for Business and Industry. He served as a board member for Wachovia Bank and Trust and numerous other corporate and community associations. An avid pilot, boatsman, and athlete, no interest was greater than his love of family, particularly his wife of forty-eight years. Survivors include his wife, Rebecca Lane Harvin, 986 Meadow Lane, Henderson, N.C. 27536; a daughter, Rebecca Harvin Woltz, a daughter and son-in-law, Virginia Harvin and Thomas Anthony Pitler; a son and daughter- in-law, Ellen Olender and Lucius Herman Harvin IV; a brother and sister-in-law, Agnes Thorne and George Myrick Harvin; a sister, Emma Harvin Currigan; a sister and brother-in-law, Jessie Rose Harvin and Walker Anderson Long; six grandchildren, Cullen Lane Pitler, Virginia Hester Pitler, Edwin Moore Woltz , Howard Osler Woltz , Bessie Rose Woltz, and Lucius Herman Harvin V.
James Burton Tait ’61 of Raleigh, N.C., died July 17, 2007. He was employed by Unisys, formally Sperry Univac, from college graduation until his retirement. He was predeceased by his wife of forty-three years, Betty, whom he met at Davidson College. He is survived by his daughter, Carol Powell and her husband, Tony of Spartanburg, S.C.; his son, Burt and his wife, Elizabeth of 2602 Arden Rd., Wilmington, N.C. 28403; and grandchildren, Wesley, James, and Cameron.
Kurtis C. Hess ’63 of Irvington began his final journey on April 25, 2007, after a seven-year battle with He taught for twenty years at Union Theological Seminary–PSCE in Richmond, serving as director of field education and placement and as director of institutional effectiveness. In 1958, he spearheaded a petition to overturn Gov. Lindsay Almond’s decision to avoid integration by closing schools in Prince Edward County. Look magazine called Dr. Hess “Dixie’s Newest Rebel,” attracting nation-wide attention of the press for this historic meeting. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary-PSCE, and McCormick Seminary. He served three churches: Faison Presbyterian Church (N.C.), Mt. Horeb Presbyterian Church (Va.) and Colonial Heights Presbyterian Church (Va.). As presbytery executive of the Blue Ridge, he was a staunch advocate of female clergy, introducing a large number to the Presbyterian Church. In 1981, he established the TASTE of Ministry, training young pastors during their first years of ministry. In the fall of 2005, Union named him professor emeritus of supervised ministry. Dr. Hess authored multiple manuals, book and quick reference guide for church government. Recently, Kurtis served as an advocate for the elderly as Chaplain of Palliative Care at Rappahannock General Hospital. Survivors include his wife, of forty-one years, Jean C. Hess, PO Box 2269, Kilmarnock, Va. 22482-2269; daughters Karen H. Carr and husband Peter; Susan H. Pickeral and husband Doug; son John K. Hess and wife Kimberly; seven grandchildren; Jessica, Crystal, Rachel, Alexis, Eleanor, April and Allison; mother, Dorothy M. Hess; brother, Ronald Hess.
Walter Olin Nisbet III ’63 of Charlotte died at home on June 25 from complications related to Alzheimer’s disease. Following in his father’s footsteps, he graduated from Davidson College. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Following graduation in 1963, he served in the U.S. Army as a first lieutenant 1963–65 and attended Harvard University where he earned an M.B.A. Returning to Charlotte, he was employed by Interstate Securities and in 1973, founded Sterling Capital Management, an investment management firm, where he served as president, chairman, and director until he retired in 2000. He also founded the N.C. Cash Management Trust. His service on corporate boards included United Asset Management, Conner Corporation, Kitty Hawk Capital, Process Systems, Data South Computer Corporation, and Manetta Mills, Inc. Olin was greatly committed to his beloved alma mater, Davidson College, and he served as a successful leader in a number of critical endeavors focused on the future of the college. His last term as a trustee was served as chairman of the board during which he presided at the inauguration in 1997 of Davidson’s sixteenth president, Robert F. Vagt. He was the founding chairman of the board of directors of The Duke Mansion and the William States Lee Institute. Also, he was a founding director of the World T.E.A.M. Sports, a trustee of Episcopal High School, and a member and deacon of the Myers Park Presbyterian Church. Survivors include his wife, Marian McGowan Nisbet, 401 Hermitage Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28207, two sons, W. Olin “Chip” Nisbet IV ’86 and his wife Amanda, of New York City, and William McGowan Nisbet and his wife Lynne of Charleston, S.C., and two grandchildren, Alannah and Travers Nisbet of New York City. He is also survived by two sisters, Rebecca Nisbet Rencher, and Jane Nisbet Goode and her husband Seddon ‘Rusty’ Goode ’54. His legacy is that of a devoted husband, a loving father and grandfather and a loyal friend, as well as a respected businessman and investor, and a generous supporter of his community he so loved. We will always remember his engaging smile and his infectious laugh. Memorial contributions, in lieu of flowers, can be made to the W. Olin and Marian Nisbet Scholarship at Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, N.C. 28035, or to Hospice and Palliative Care of Charlotte, 1420 East 7th Street, Charlotte, NC 28204.
Kendrick Lee Telford ’69 of Brenham, Texas, died suddenly March 6, 2007, in Houston. Memorial services were held for him at the Brenham Presbyterian Church. He was a self-employed banking consultant. He was a former member of the Davidson Board of Visitors. Survivors include his parents, Eloise and William Telford ’39 of Brenham; a brother and sister-in-law, William Jr. ’71 and Marcia Telford of Durham, N.C.; and two nephews.
Danney Goble ’70 of Tulsa, Okla., died March 8, 2007. An exceptionally gifted teacher, he made Oklahoma history and politics come alive to his students. He taught at Tulsa Junior College (now Tulsa Community College), Rogers University (now Oklahoma State University – Tulsa), the University of Tulsa, and the University of Oklahoma. He was recognized with several teaching awards. After attending Davidson, he earned his undergraduate degree at University of Central Oklahoma and his master’s at OU, but he discovered that Oklahoma history was “real history” while he was earning his doctorate at University of Missouri. As an Oklahoman he was keenly aware of the inferiority complex that many Oklahomans tend to have about their state. He worked hard throughout the remainder of his adult life to help Oklahomans become better acquainted with their state’s history, especially the colorful events of the twentieth century. He was author or co-author of eight books, including Little Giant: The Life and Times of Speaker Carl Albert, which won the Oklahoma Book Award and was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize, and A Matter of Black and White: The Autobiography of Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, which was named the outstanding book in political science by the National Conference of Black Political Scientists. He also collaborated very successfully with David Baird in writing The Story of Oklahoma, a high school textbook that has been adopted by many public schools, and with Bob Goins on the award-winning fourth edition of Historical Atlas of Oklahoma. At the time of his death, he was co-authoring with Mike Cassity a book on the history of Presbyterianism in Oklahoma. He leaves behind a rich and meaningful legacy, forever to be cherished by students, colleagues, friends, and especially his beloved family—wife Constance Murray, 6815 E 47th St., Tulsa, Okla. 74145-5809; daughters Codie Chaudoin and Hannah Goble; sons Geoffrey and Grant Goble; his step-son Tristan Murray Sublette; grandchildren William, Beatrice, and Dorothy Chaudoin; sister, Marzell Clubb; and nephews Kennon and Alexander Clubb.
Paul Christopher Garrigus ’71 of Charlotte died December 1, 2006 at his home. A Charlotte area resident since 1967, Paul was a school teacher and had taught chemistry at West Charlotte High and coached football at Quail Hollow Junior High. He had been employed for thirty years with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools before joining the teaching staff at Central Cabarrus High School. He was also a member of NCAE. At Davidson, he was a member of Signa Nu fraternity. Survivors include his mother, Alta G. Garrigus of Charlotte; brother, Bill Garrigus and wife Brenda, 2380 Saw Rode, China Grove, N.C. 28026; nephews, Roger and Tony Romeo; nieces, Carrie Gentry and husband Garrett, Jessica Davis; grand nephews, Parker Gentry and Matt Cook; grand nieces, Chloe Gentry, Christa Cook and Maddison Cook. There are no services planned. Contributions in Paul’s memory may be made to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, 332 N. Lauderdale St, Memphis, Tenn., 38100.
The Rev. Jeffrey L. Lowrance ’73 “fought the good fight” and entered the kingdom of heaven on May 28, 2007. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va. (1977). He served as pastor for the Lansing Presbyterian Church field, Lansing, N.C.; First Presbyterian Church, Lenoir, N.C.; Tazewell Presbyterian Church, Tazewell, Va.; and Hopewell Presbyterian Church from 1993 to the present. He served on the boards of Latta Plantation, Rural Hill Farm, Catawba Valley Scottish Society, and Hugh Torrence House and Store. He was chaplain of the Loch Norman Highland Games, active in locating and preserving slave cemeteries, and in naming area schools, parks, and developments after Revolutionary War heroes. While on a pulpit exchange to England in 2000, Jeff found the wallet of Revolutionary War general William Lee Davidson, captured at the Battle of Cowan’s Ford, and succeeded in bringing it back to North Carolina on loan for a year. Under his leadership, Hopewell Presbyterian Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places, a building campaign was completed and new ministries and services were created. Most important, “Pastor Jeff” will be remembered as a faithful pastor of his people. Survivors include his parents, Bill and Betty Jo Lowrance of Mooresville, N.C.; his wife and partner in ministry, Anne Doll Lowrance, 7531 Sample Rd., Huntersville, N.C. 28078; and beloved daughters, Claire and Erin Lowrance, of Huntersville; brothers, Tim Lowrance of Mooresville, The Rev. Will Lowrance and his wife Rebecca, of Virginia Beach, Va., and their children Grady, Casey, Joe, Jessica and Kelly. He was preceded in death by grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Gray Lowrance and Mr. & Mrs. Joe Gabriel.