From the Davidson campus to countries around the world, the John Montgomery Belk Scholarship Program provides scholars with access to a rich diversity of experience during their undergraduate years.
The Belk Scholarship allows scholars great flexibility in the on- and off-campus opportunities they choose to explore.
Those experiences, paired with Davidson's academic programs, deepen the scholars' intelligence, maturity and global understanding.
Belk Experience Stipends
The Belk Scholarship provides each scholar with two stipends, up to $3,000 each, to support intellectual, personal, and leadership development over the course of their college years.
Recent Stipend Experiences
In recent years, Belk Scholars have used their stipends to explore their passions in this country and abroad. For instance, they have:
- examined sustainable development in EU nations (Germany, France, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, and Greece
- traveled to Syria to study Arabic language and culture
- participated in a Summerbridge Program in Hong Kong, teaching poetry analysis and writing to disadvantaged Chinese students
- interned with the Tourism Enterprise Partnership (a non-profit private-public partnership) to study the economic impact of the World Cup on local entrepreneurs
- participated in the Davidson Summer Program at the University of Cape Coast, which offers immersion in modern and traditional Ghanaian life
- worked in Washington, D.C. with Global Volunteers, a private, non-profit, non-sectarian, non-governmental organization engaged in micro-economic and human development programs
- developed marketing strategies for a film project, Darius Goes West
- interned with the Global Strategy Institute (GSI) of the Center for Strategic Studies in Washington, D.C.
- attended the Colgate Writers' Conference at Colgate University in New York
- traveled in New Zealand and worked with Willing Workers On Organic Farms (WWOOF)
- pursued independent research on the perception of education opportunities among intergenerational black men in Little Rock, Ark.
- interned with Global Rights India, an organization that works to expand women's access to justice
- volunteered with Help Argentina, a non-profit organization that assists low-income populations in the country's northern Salta region