Thomas McCutchen Gignilliat ’32, a lifelong resident of Seneca, S.C., died May 6, 2007, at the Presbyterian Home in Clinton, S.C. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Davidson College, he was associated over the years with Charles N. Gignilliat & Sons, Cotton Merchants, based in Seneca and Spartanburg. The business was begun by his grandfather, George Warren Gignilliat, a founding father of Seneca. He also served in the U.S. Army during World War II, was a deacon and elder of the Seneca Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the South Carolina Historical Society and the South Carolina Huguenot Society. He was an active member of the Seneca Rotary Club for sixty-four years, was club president and a Paul Harris Fellow, and was recognized as an honorary member in April 2002. He is survived by three nieces, Anne Gignilliat Clarke of Isle of Palms; Marguerite Gignilliat Old of Lexington, Va.; and Sally Gignilliat Stebbins of Marietta, Ga.; great-niece, Anne Trezevant (Trez) Clarke; six great-nephews, Phillip G. Clarke III, Charles T. and Dixon G. Grubbs, William W. Old IV, and Roland A., Jr. and Charles R. Stebbins. In addition to his parents, he is preceded in death by two brothers: George Warren Gignilliat III of Seneca and Charles Nutting Gignilliat, Jr. of Spartanburg; niece Sarah Ruth Gignilliant Grubbs of Stone Mountain, Ga.
James Bell Black Jr. ’37 passed away on February 13, 2007, one month after his 96th birthday. He maintained his serenity and sense of humor until the end. He was the son of James Bell Black, D.Div., a Presbyterian minister, and Kathleen Smith Black. He attended public schools in Elizabeth City, N.C., Fort Mill, S.C., and Red Springs, N.C., where his father was the longtime minister of the First Presbyterian Church. He graduated valedictorian, Class of 1927, from Red Springs High School. He had a lifelong appreciation for education and learning. He graduated from Davidson summa cum laude
John Young Templeton III ’37, of Bryn Mawr, Pa., a cardiothoracic surgeon and professor at Thomas Jefferson University who pioneered the use of the heart-lung machine, died of heart failure Tuesday, March 27, 2007, at Bryn Mawr Hospital. In the late forties, Dr. Templeton was a surgical resident at Jefferson. He assisted chief of surgery John H. Gibbon in the development of an artificial device to support patients’ heart and lung functions during open-heart surgery. The men successfully used Gibbon’s heart-lung machine in 1953 during an operation to repair a hole in the heart of an 18-year-old college student. During the next several years, Dr. Templeton performed many heart-valve surgeries and repaired congenital heart defects with the aid of the device. By the 1970s, he was using the machine in bypass surgeries to reroute blood around clogged arteries, improving blood flow and oxygen to the heart. Dr. Robert S. Boova, who was trained by Dr. Templeton at Jefferson in the 1980s, called that association “an experience of a lifetime.” Dr. Templeton’s legacy, he said, is the doctors he trained who lead surgery departments at distinguished institutions all over the country. Dr. Templeton was the recipient of the talent and technology he developed, his daughter Etheldra said. His father, a physician, died in his fifties from heart disease, which Dr. Templeton also developed. Bypass surgery performed by Boova prolonged his life, his daughter said. He hiked the Appalachian Trail and climbed Mount Katahdin in Maine before and after his surgery, she said, and enjoyed birding, crafting wooden canoes, and vacationing in his cabin in Quebec. Dr. Templeton was a graduate of Thomas Jefferson University Medical School. He interned at Jefferson, and then served in the Army Medical Corps in the States during World War II. After his discharge, he completed a residency at Jefferson and joined the surgical staff. From 1964 to 1967, he was professor of surgery at the University of Pennsylvania and was chief of surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital. He then returned to Jefferson and chaired the surgery department until 1969. He retired from Jefferson on his 70th birthday in 1987. The John Y. Templeton III Lectureship was established in his honor. Dr. Templeton received several grants to research new heart surgery techniques, and contributed more than eighty papers to medical literature. He was active in more than sixty professional and social organizations. He was a past president of the Jefferson Alumni Association and Jefferson’s medical staff and served on the university’s board. For sixty-two years he was married to Dorothy Fraley Templeton. They met at Jefferson, where she was an operating room nurse anesthetist. She died in 2005. Survivors include daughters Mary Brem, Etheldra, and Dorothy; a son, Bruce, 704 Conestoga Road, Bryn Mawr, Pa. 19010; a brother; two sisters; and three grandchildren. A son, John IV, died in 1964.
James Fraley Moore ’39 of Miami, Fla., died March 27, 2007. After graduation from Davidson College, he served in the U.S. Army during World War II, and was honorably discharged with the rank of captain. Following his military service, Jim went to work for Eastern Airlines in Raleigh, N.C., where he worked in both sales and customer service areas. He later was promoted to Eastern’s headquarters in New York, where he served as a field representative and provided interface between headquarters and field traffic and sales offices. He later transferred to Miami where he continued to work in field support positions and reservations until his retirement. For many years he was a loyal booster of The Eastern Airlines Retirement Association and a faithful attendant at its meetings and in its activities. Survivors include his cousins Elaine and Jack Robinson and their children Margaret and William, and by several cousins (J. W. Pennell, P.O. Box 63 Cleveland, N.C. 27013) in North Carolina and environs. He was preceded in death by his wife, Edith, in 1997. Memorials in Jim’s name may be made to either: Davidson College, The Annual Fund, P.O. Box 7170, Davidson, N.C. 28035-7110, or Third Creek Presbyterian Church, P.O. 217, Cleveland, N.C., 27013.
Rufus Kite Allison, Sr. ’40 died Sunday, March 18, 2007 at his home. Funeral services were held March 21, 2007, at Myers Park Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Von Clemmons officiating. He graduated from Central High School in 1936, receiving the Bausch & Lomb award in science. He graduated from Davidson, B.S. cum laude
Lester Durrett “Bub” Coltrane III ’40 of The Gardens of Taylor Glen and a former resident of Ingleside Drive, Concord, N.C., passed away March 28, 2007. He graduated from Concord High School and was the class salutatorian. At Davidson, he was a manager of the football team and a member and past president of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He went to work at Concord National Bank in 1940, and in January 1941 he volunteered for the U.S. Army. He attended OCS while in service and upon his discharge, he held the rank of major. Serving more than five years, he was in the European Theater under Gen. George Patton before being discharged in 1946. In 1943, while still in service, he married Phyllis Crooks. After his discharge, he returned to Concord National Bank, where he served as president for thirty years. During this time, CNB merged with Citizens National Bank to become First Charter National Bank, where he was the first CEO. He served as treasurer of the North Carolina Bankers Association. He also served on the Federal Reserve Bank Board in Charlotte. He served on the boards of Cabarrus Savings and Loan, Concord Telephone Company, and Kerr Bleachery. He retired from the bank in 1987. Bub was very active in First Presbyterian Church, serving as deacon, elder, church treasurer, and as a church trustee. He was also president of his Sunday school class. He then served ten years as president, CEO, chairman of the board, and director of CT Communications. Very active in community affairs, he was president of the Jaycees, headed the United Way, was president of the Chamber of Commerce, president of the Rotary Club, Salvation Army (and a lifetime member of the board) and many fundraising efforts in the county. “Bub” was a member of the Concord Museum and Concord Historical Society. He served on the board and was a past chairman of NorthEast Medical Center for twenty-eight years. He was instrumental in the establishment of the NorthEast Medical Center Foundation and served on this board. He was the Jaycees’ Junior Man of the Year and also Senior Man of the Year. He and his wife were named Woman of the Year and Man of the Year by the BPW. He received the American Legion fifty-year award. He was an avid hunter and fisherman and loved working with flowers. He was preceded in death by his parents, Lester D. Coltrane Jr. and Blanche Brown Coltrane; by a son, Daniel B. Coltrane ’70; a daughter-in-law, Anne Collins Coltrane; and a sister, Betty Gay Bivens. Survivors include his wife of sixty-four years, Phyllis Crooks Coltrane, 3700 Taylor Glen Ln., Apt. 255-C, Concord, N.C. 28027; son, Michael R. Coltrane ’68 of Concord; daughter, Gay Coltrane Ausband and husband, Robert, of Daleville, Va.; grandson, Mark Allen; granddaughter, Julia Allen; step-granddaughter, Elizabeth Trible and husband; step-grandson, Zachary Ausband and wife.
Louis Carey Hite Jr., ’41, a true Christian and Southern gentleman, died February 26, 2007. He served in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1946, and was honorably discharged as a major. Mr. Hite was president of Hite Co., food distributors, from 1946 until 1970 when this company merged with Thomas and Howard Co. He was vice-president and manager of their Florence Division until his retirement in 1985. He continued as a director of Thomas and Howard Co. of Columbia, Newberry, and Spartanburg. He was a member of St. Luke Lutheran Church of Florence. He served on the church council, taught adult Sunday school for a number of years and was a member of the church choir for over fifty years. He was a charter member of the Florence Symphony Orchestra and served as its first president. He was past president of the Florence Rotary Club and the Florence Country Club. He served as past chairman of the Florence County Republican Party, past director of the Guaranty Bank of Florence and on the advisory board of the South Carolina Federal Bank. He also served on boards of the Pee Dee Area Boy Scouts, Florence Chamber of Commerce and the Florence City Election Commission. Survivors include his wife of sixty-four years, Gladys Johnston Hite of Harlingen, Texas; three sons, Dr. Louis Carey Hite III ’69, 410 Clearview Dr., Columbia, S.C. 29212-8310; Dr. Arnold Hite of Charleston, and Peter Hite of Greenville; three daughters, Kathy Hite-James of Palm Desert, Calif., Sally Hite Watson of Florence, and Kissy Hite Merrifield of Advance, N.C.; five grandsons, Arnold Hite Jr., Carey Hite IV, Whitley Merrifield, Pierson Hite and Hite Merrifield; four granddaughters, Allison Hite, Melissa Hite, Costner Merrifield, and Talley Hite.
Cdr. Benjamin E. Colkitt ’42 (USN Ret.) took his final flight on May 4, 2007. He was preceded in death by parents Benjamin and Isabel Colkitt, siblings Robert Bowne Colkitt and Doris McElroy and nephew Brad Jenkins. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Donna, 449 Oakland St., Aurora, Colo. 80010-4745; his son Ben Colkitt III ’75 (wife Natalie Frei); daughters Michelle Colkitt (Steven Schneider), Candace James (Derek James), and Caralyn Colkitt; eleven grandchildren; two godchildren (Mehgan and Sarah McAuliffe); sister-in-law Evaline Colkitt; brother in law Paul McElroy; and numerous cousins, nieces and nephews. He was born into an old Quaker family, which settled and lived for many generations in Mount Holly, New Jersey. It was a short journey to Philadelphia, and when Charles “Lucky” Lindbergh returned there for a triumphal parade after the first transtlantic flight in 1927, Ben was there. His passion for flying had been sparked. Dad’s father moved his textile plant to Waynesville, N.C. soon after the Lindbergh parade. A Yankee boy in the rural South, Dad immersed himself in Scouting, and the motto, “Be Prepared” informed the whole of his life. He excelled academically in high school, and was accepted to and graduated from Davidson, whose Presbyterian faith he ultimately adopted. He spent every spare dime he had on private flight lessons while at Davidson, taking his first flight in a 37 HP Aeronica in September of 1939. During his senior year a Navy recruiter visited Charlotte and Ben was accepted for cadet training. A week after graduation, he received orders to Navy preflight school at the University of Georgia at Athens. A slender young man, he had to force feed a huge number of bananas to make the minimum weight requirement. His early service nickname was “Bones.” In World War II, he flew a number of combat missions and was awarded three air medals. He flew in the thousand-plane flight over the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay during the surrender ceremonies. Later he received orders to the Navy Line School at Newport, R.I. There, he met Ensign Donna Mueller, the love of his life. Shortly thereafter, on May 19, 1950, they were married in a traditional Navy ceremony. Shore duty followed as an instructor in the All Weather Flight School in Corpus Christi, Texas. On May 25, 1952, son Benjamin III was born at the Great Lakes Naval Station. Sea duty followed as Air Ops Officer on the USS Badoeng Strait (CVE 116) in the Yellow Sea off the west coast of Korea. While the ship was in the shipyard at San Francisco daughter Michelle was born at the Naval Hospital at Oak Knoll on May 15, 1953. During shore duty at NAS Jacksonville, daughters Candace and Caralyn were born on February 14, 1957. Ben retired from the Navy in 1964. In June of that year, he joined United Airlines in Denver as a simulator instructor, where he was typed on 727, 737, and DC-8. Ben also was typed in Lear Jets as part of his work as a general aviation instructor for twenty-five years. After 58 years of flying, he finally retired from aviation. Even then, he couldn’t stay away, and he volunteered at DIA and spent numerous hours at his computer on various flight simulation programs. He was a long time member of the Order of Quiet Birdmen, the Order of the Daedalians, the Tailhook Association, and the Naval Aviation Association.
William Sprunt III ’42 died March 20, 2007, in DeLand. Fla. He retired as a medical doctor. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He earned his M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1945, specializing in radiology. In 1961, he moved to Raleigh to start a partnership in radiology at Wake Medical Center with Dr. Albert M. Jenkins. The partnership grew to become Rake Radiology, employing currently over fifty-eight radiologists. He retired to Florida in 1997. He was active in the West Volusia Family YMCA. He was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Priscilla, 400 E. Howry Ave., Apt. 212, DeLand, Fla. 32724; one son, William, Jr. of Boone, N.C.; two daughters, Suze Peace of DeLand and Martha Landt of Hilo, Hawaii; two sisters, Edna Mitchell of Winston-Salem, N.C., and Nancy Mathes of Memphis, Tenn.; seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
James Samuel Mitchener Jr., M.D. ’43 died April 10, 2007, at Scotland Memorial Hospital in Virginia. At Davidson, he was a member of the varsity basketball team. He later earned his M.D. at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Md. While in medical school, Jim met Sara Elizabeth Carton (Sally) of Coshocton, Ohio, whom he married on January 24, 1948, in Baltimore, Md. They celebrated their fifty-ninth wedding anniversary this year. Jim trained as a surgeon in Baltimore at Johns Hopkins Hospital and The Church Home & Hospital. After completing his pathology internship at Duke Hospital in Durham, he served in the United States Army in San Juan, Puerto Rico, from 1951 until 1953. He and Sally then settled in Laurinburg, where he began a general surgery practice. He retired in 1994. During these years, he also provided his surgical services to the hospitals in Hamlet, N.C., and Bennettsville, S.C. Jim was an active member of the American College of Surgeons and the North Carolina Medical Society. He was also a member and served as president of the North Carolina College of Surgeons as well as the Scotland County Medical Society. Dr. Mitchener served as a Scotland County commissioner for eighteen years, serving as chairman at his term’s end. He was a past president of the Rotary Club and the Scotland County Chamber of Commerce. Jim volunteered for twenty-two summers and served as a physician at Camp Sea Gull in Arapahoe. In 1985, he and Sally lived for an extended period in Tenwek, a village in western Kenya, where Jim volunteered his services as a doctor in the mission hospital located there. Jim was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Laurinburg, where he taught Sunday school for several years. He enjoyed playing golf and tennis, and was, for many years, a regular runner. Survivors include his wife, Sara Carton Mitchener, 704 Morrison Ln., Laurinburg, N.C. 28352-4221. He is also survived by seven children, twelve grandchildren, and three step-grandchildren: Dr. James Samuel Mitchener III ’73 and wife, Cary, and their son, Jim, of Roanoke, Va.; Victor Carton Mitchener, and wife, Becky, and their children, Roland Mitchener, Anne Stuart Mitchener, Katie, John, and William Moore, of Charlotte; Albert Stevenson Mitchener, and wife, Sally, and their children, Jay and McNair, of Charlotte; William Thomas Mitchener, and wife, Vicky, and their children, Ruffin, Larson, and Mary Carton, of Charlotte; Sara Elizabeth Mitchener Daniel, and husband, David, and their children, Robert and David, of Wilson; Dr. John Edward Mitchener, and wife, Julia ’91, of Winston-Salem; and Mary Harriet Mitchener Gray, and husband, Lee, and their children, Will and Mitch, of Greenville, S.C. Jim was preceded in death by his first son, J.S. Mitchener, another son, Paul Williams Mitchener, and his brother, Calvin Chambers Mitchener ’46 of Charlotte.
James T. Pharr ’43, Fayetteville, N.C., died on February 15, 2006.
Crowell T. Daniel ’45, Fayetteville, N.C., died May 6, 2007. He practiced at Owen Drive Gynecology Group from the late 1950s until his retirement in 1990. He was instrumental in helping to establish The CARE Clinic and the Stanton Hospitality House in Fayetteville. After Davidson, he attended the UNC School of Medicine and Medical College of Virginia. He was an Army colonel, serving as chief of obstetrics and gynecology at U.S. Army Hospital, now Womack Army Medical Center on Fort Bragg. From 1976 to 1978, he was chief of staff at Cape Fear Valley Hospital. Survivors include his wife, Joan, 1919 Fordham Dr., Apt. 310, Fayetteville, N.C. 28304-3664; son Richard, daughters, Jacqueline Daniel and Joan Daniel Heintz; brother, James Daniel; and two grandchildren.
James G. Patton ’46 of Atlanta, died June 17, 2006. After serving in WWII, he graduated from the University of Virginia and received his master’s from Georgia State University. During his thirty-eight years at The Westminster Schools, he wore many hats. He had been coach of the football, baseball, and golf teams, director of the boys school, instructor of biology and dean of students. He was a longtime member of North Avenue Presbyterian Church and recently a member of Roswell Presbyterian Church. During his retirement, he was active with the Meals on Wheels program, golfing, watching his favorite team, the Atlanta Braves, and enjoying his grandchildren. Survivors include his wife of fifty-three years, Arlene, and four daughters, Patricia Nicks, 677 Bruce Way SW, Lilburn, Ga. 30047-2217; Susan Fraley of Roswell, Elizabeth Harper of Roswell, Janet Liles of Marietta, twin brother Sam Patton of Toccoa, Ga., sister Katherine Carssow of Austin, Tex., and nine grandchildren.
U. Boyce Helms ’47 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died September 4, 2006. During World War II, he served in the Tenth Armored Division in the European Theatre of Operations. He was wounded in action and was awarded the Purple Heart. His career included thirty-seven years with General Motors Acceptance Corporation, where he retired as district sales manager in 1985. While at GMAC, he worked in Charlotte, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem. Upon retirement, Boyce embarked upon a second career as a deposition recorder for a court service in Winston-Salem. He was a member of Parkway Presbyterian Church in Winston-Salem. He served at various times as an elder, deacon, adult Sunday school teacher, and choir member. Survivors include his wife Evangeline Carpenter Helms, 3248 Robin Hood Rd., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106; son David Helms and wife Kathy; daughter Sharon Helms-Dulin and husband Max Dulin; and grandchildren Adam and Katie Helms.
James Clifford “Jimmie” Crawford, Jr. ’48 of Cheraw, S.C., died February 25, 2007. He was educated at The McCallie School in Chattanooga, Tenn., attended Davidson College, and was a 1948 graduate of Wofford College. He served as president and chairman of the board of B.C. Moore and Sons, Inc., one of the largest family-owned department stores in the Southeast. He was a grandson of Beauregard Crawford Moore, the company’s founder, and played a pivotal role in the growth of the family business for more than fifty years. An active member of First United Methodist Church in Cheraw, he chaired various church committees through the years. He served as a trustee at Spartanburg Methodist College, was a past president of St. David’s Cemetery Association, and was chairman of the First Citizens Bank Advisory Board. Mr. Crawford was also a member of the Cheraw Masonic Lodge and Kappa Alpha Fraternity. Survivors include his wife of fifty-one years, Betty Ann Odom Crawford, 413 Greene St., Cheraw, S.C. 29520; three sons, Jim Crawford and wife, Marianne, of Cheraw; Kirk Crawford and wife, Suzanne, of Charlotte, N.C. and Bryan Crawford, of Cheraw; and seven grandchildren: Jim, Cameron, Kirk, Taylor, Bryan, Mary and Jane.
Fitz-hugh Trezvant Read, Jr. ’48 of Lakeland, Fla., died May 1, 2007. He was a graduate of John Graham High School and Presbyterian Junior College where he excelled in athletics prior to World War II. A member of “The Greatest Generation,” he served as a radio-gunner in the 8th Air Force. Stationed in England, he completed twenty-three combat missions aboard a B-24 bomber and was awarded the Air Medal, among other decorations. Upon discharge, he attended Davidson College, graduating with a A.B. He held a B.D. from Union Theological Seminary in Virginia. An ordained Presbyterian minister, he served churches in Lake Waccamaw, N.C., and Bartow, Fla., during a fruitful sixteen-year ministry. While a resident of Bartow, he served on the Polk County (Fla.) School Board. After leaving the ministry, he was a successful salesman in Charleston, S.C. and Lakeland. He was a resident of the latter city for forty-five years. Survivors include his wife, Mayme E. Read, 3620 Jacque Lee Lane, Lakeland, Fla. 33801; daughters Georgie Gayle Read of Winter Haven, Fla., and Sarah Hilah Mercer and husband, Bill, of Merritt Island, Fla.; brothers Henry M. Read and wife, Frances, of Raleigh; and J. Finley Read and wife, Ruth, of Manning S.C.; stepchildren: Sandra V. Logan and husband, Bill, of Charlotte; Rheta E. Lanehart of Tampa; and John Lanehart and wife, Tracy, of San Francisco; and numerous grandchildren, nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his son, Hugh Mcllwaine Read.
Charles Samuel Dockery ’49 formerly of Statesville, N.C., passed away March 23, 2007, following an extended illness. He was the founder and president of Piedmont Knitting Company of Statesville. He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, having served on the vestry and as senior warden. He was active in several civic and community service organizations. He served as a first lieutenant in the United States Air Force. At Davidson, he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. He was married to the former Jane Lawson Spangler, who died March 1, 2000. He was also preceded in death by a brother, Garland P. Dockery, Jr. and a sister, Betty Bingham Dockery. Survivors include his son, Charles Samuel Dockery, Jr. and wife, Kimberly Byrd Dockery, 322 Glen Eagles Rd. E., Statesville, N.C. 28625; and granddaughter, Meredith Anne Dockery.
Nash McKee ’49 passed away March 31 at the V.A. Hospital in Asheville, N.C. He served as an elder and active member of the First Presbyterian Church, Asheville, for many years. Survivors include his wife, Pauline Long McKee, a daughter, Sandra, and two grandsons as well as his brother, Olin McKee of Rock Hill, S.C., and sisters, Carolyn Perrell of Iron Station and Christine Smith, 525 Briarpatch Lane, Charlotte, N.C. 28211-4144.
Paul Bryant Richardson ’49 died April 6, 2007. He served in the Navy and graduated from Davidson where he was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha. He worked with Macke in Charlotte from 1950 to 1965. He then moved to Cary, N.C., where he lived for seventeen years before moving back to Charlotte to work for Washburn Press. He greatly appreciated his church, Carmel Presbyterian, where we taught Sunday school and was a church elder. He also enjoyed his volunteer work as a tutor, playing bridge, sports, and traveling. Paul leaves to cherish his memory his wife of fifty-six years, Sarah, 205 Wilson Rd. Apt. 5060, Fuquay Varina, N.C. 27526. They had four children, Cynthia Thomas (Danny) of Holly Springs, N.C., Sally Clark (David) of Apex, N.C., Bryant Richardson (Jacala) of Weddington, N.C., and Mary Louise and Lance Noyes from Kannapolis, N.C. Paul leaves behind nine grandchildren, Russell and Paul Clark, Christopher Thomas, Edward, Bryant, and Katie Grace Richardson, and Austin, Tyler, and Chandler Noyes.
Alexander “Sandy” Sprunt IV ’49 died March 2, 2007. A past research director for the National Audubon Society, Sandy helped the survival of the American bald eagle, American flamingoes, roseate spoonbills and numerous other bird species, including the California condor. He was educated at Davidson and Virginia Polytechnic Institute in Blacksburg, Va. His forty-three-year employment with the National Audubon Society began in 1952 as a Texas wildlife warden and tour leader. He became the national research director for Audubon in 1960. He investigated numerous birds for Audubon, including South Florida and Caribbean wading seabird populations. He was a member of the Florida National Parks and Monuments Association, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Bahamas National Trust, Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, Upper Keys Rotary Club and the Monroe County Land Authority. Special recognitions include the Sandy Sprunt Mot Mot Trail at Asa Wright Nature Centre of Trinidad, and the Sandy Sprunt Dove Creek Hammocks Wildlife and Environmental Area in Key Largo at Mile Marker 94. Survivors include his wife, Donna, 102 Mohawk St. Tavernier, Fla. 33070, a retired Plantation Key registered nurse; two daughters, Betsey Lunsford of Fort Myers and Susan Sprunt of Miami University, Oxford, Ohio; and five grandchildren.
John “Buck” Atwell Troutman ’49 of Charlotte died March 10, 2007. He attended the Charlotte city schools, Baylor School in Chattanooga, Tenn., Davidson College, the University of Chicago, the University of Guelph in Ontario, and held military degrees from the U.S. Air Force. He served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force during WWII and served as a bomber pilot in three theaters of war. He was a member of the OSS and CBI military group. In addition, he was a member of Charlotte Country Club, the Charlotte Athletic Club, the N.C. Association of Nurserymen, as well as several military organizations. He was preceded in death by his brother, the Rev. Coit R. Troutman. Survivors include his wife, Mary Anne Medearis Troutman, 5100 Sharon Rd., Charlotte, N.C. 28210; children, Jamie Leigh Northey (David), of Mouth of Wilson, Va., Stuart Lane Troutman (Callie), of Charlotte, N.C., and Lisa Anne Troutman (Parker Russell), of Wilmette, Ill.; grandchildren, Joseph Troutman of Charlotte, Caroline Russell Troutman and Campbell Russell Troutman of Wilmette, Ill.; nieces, Cindy and Linda Troutman; nephew, Ray Troutman; brother-in-law, Bill Medearis (Elizabeth) as well as several other nieces and nephews.
Dr. Harry Wilson Bachman ’50 died peacefully in his home on Sunday morning, March 18, 2007. He graduated from Davidson where he was a member of Kappa Alpha fraternity, and from the Medical College of Virginia in 1955. He completed his medical residency in orthopedic surgery in Richmond. He served as medical officer in the U.S. Army with the rank of captain. When he opened his practice in Bristol in 1961, he followed the footsteps of his father and his grandfather, Dr. Joseph S. Bachman. He regularly hiked the Holston Mountains, and enjoyed his boat on South Holston in all seasons. Whether on the Creeper Trail, the Alps of Italy, or the back roads of Sullivan County, he prided himself on his cycling adventures. He played tennis from age of twelve until just recently, a passion he passed on to his sons. A fan of all music, Dr. Bachman even tolerated the rock and roll stuff favored by his boys. He played Brubeck and Bach on the piano. Survivors include his wife Jane, 340 Woodbrook Avenue, Bristol, Tenn. 37620-7172; his sons, John and his wife Susan of Boulder, Colo.; Joe and his wife Teresa of Reno, Nev.; Tom and his wife Alice of Johnson City; and David and his wife Terry of Piney Flats; his grandchildren, Christine, Michael, Taylor, Logan, Willa, and Clara; and his sister, Agnes Cowan.
William Alexander “Bill” Dixon ’50, of Belmont, N.C., died April 3, 2007. He served in the U.S. Army from July 1945 to January 1947. Upon discharge, he entered Davidson and received a B.S. He was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. Upon graduation, he joined his father in Dixon Oil Company. In 1959 he began a real estate business, working as a broker, home builder, land developer, and appraiser, retiring in 1996. He was a member of the Gaston Board of Realtors, serving as president in 1964 and 1965; he was a member of the Charlotte Chapter of The Society of Real Estate Appraisers and the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers. He was active in civic affairs as a member of the Belmont Rotary Club serving as president in 1959, a founding member of the Belmont Chamber of Commerce serving as president in 1967, and was awarded Citizen of the Year in 2005. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Belmont, where he served in various positions including twenty-three years as an active elder; clerk of session and Stephen Minister; he was presented the Educator of the Year award in 1984. He served as Scoutmaster from 1950-59; he also served as district and council chairman of leadership training and in 1965, was awarded the Silver Beaver from Piedmont Council for outstanding service to boyhood. He was active in Habitat for Humanity, serving as president of the Belmont Satellite for seven years and thereafter as construction coordinator. In 1996, he was designated as the American Legion’s Outstanding Citizen for his work in Habitat. His hobbies included wood carving and gardening. Bill was a devout Christian who loved his family and church. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Carol Dixon, 123 Crossing Avenue, Belmont, N.C. 28012-9514, and daughters and sons-in-law, Kathy and Richard Rhoderick of Raleigh, Carol Ann and Bob Strain of Charlotte, and Robin and Mike Sparrow of Greensboro. He was known as “DeeDee” to his grandchildren, Amy Lynn, Laura Ann and Will Rhoderick, Jill and Jamie Sparrow, and Chris Strain. Also surviving are numerous nieces, nephew, cousins and countless friends. In addition to his parents, Mr. Dixon was preceded in death by his sister, Nancy Dixon Brice.
Dr. Aubrey Stinson Miree III ’52, a Florence, Ala., psychiatrist, died March 29, 2007. A native of Birmingham, he earned his M.D. at Cornell Medical School. He interned at Veterans Hospital, Atlanta, and completed a four-year residency at the University of Cincinnati. He began the practice of psychiatry in Florence in 1966. He was a diplomat of the American Board of Psychiatry; a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association; and a captain in the U.S. Air Force from 1962-64. He was a member of the American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association, Alabama Academy of Neurology and Psychiatry; Lauderdale County Medical Association, and held the position of clinical associate professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical School Staff at the University Hospital and Carraway Methodist Hospital. He was a member of the Florence Rotary Club, the Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, and the First Presbyterian Church of Florence. He was a member of the Phi Gama Delta fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Oliver Miree, 456 Palisade Dr., Florence, Ala. 35630; a daughter, Michele Miree Smith, Birmingham; two sons, Aubrey S. Miree IV, Florence, and Mark Crumpton Miree, Marietta; a brother, Mallory Forbes Miree ’56, Birmingham; grandchildren, Josh and Zack Miree, Mary Clayton and Chasey Miree, and Camille and Adele Smith.
William Tucker Blaine, Jr. ’53 died on April 25, 2007, after a valiant struggle with cancer. He attended Davidson for two years, was a graduate of the University of Houston, and earned his M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. After serving his country in the Korean War, he began working in his father’s business, Blaine & Co. Insurance Agency, where he later became managing partner. He finished his insurance career at Hilb, Rogal, and Hamilton Insurance Co. He was on the board of the Kiwanis Club of Houston, the board of the Holly Hall Retirement Center as treasurer, the board of the Awty School, Homes of St. Marks, and president of the English Speaking Union. Tucker served many years as an elder of the First Presbyterian Church before joining St. Philip Presbyterian Church. His pleasure was his farm, his passion was history and biblical study. Survivors include his wife, Marie Sharpe Blaine, 154 Glynn Way, Houston, Texas 77056; daughter, Sarah Blaine and goddaughters Elizabeth Schulze and Katherine Lucke and her family, husband David and daughters Ellie and Kay.
Stephen H. Mills, D.D.S., M.A. ’53 of Morganton, N.C., died January 2, 2007. After attending Davidson, he graduated from the University of Florida, the University of Maryland Dental School and also from Lenoir Rhyne College with a master’s in counseling. He had a private dental practice in West Palm Beach, Fla., and worked as a staff dentist at Broughton Hospital in Morganton, N.C. from 1978 to 1997. He published an article for General Dentistry
Russell William Ferrell ’62, died November 9, 2006, at Wellmont Holston Valley Medical Center after an extended illness. He had lived in Kingsport for fifty-four years. He received his B.S. degree from Davidson where he was a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. He retired in 1996 from Holston Defense Corp. after twenty-eight years of service. He was preceded in death by his father and stepmother, Russell and Dorothy Ferrell; mother and stepfather, Virginia and Herb Vatcher; aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Burton; and mother-in-law, Naomi Sarver. Survivors include his wife, Peggy D. Ferrell, 1217 Linville St, Kinsport, Tenn. 37660-4512; sisters, Virginia Lewis of Bullhead City, Ariz., and Brenda Kay Barela, Nashville; brother-in-law, Robert Dobbs of, Bethel, N. C.; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Brenda Coffman and Tom Sherrod, Knoxville; several nieces and nephews.
Thomas Simpson Jr. ’62 of Chattanooga passed away April 15, 2007. He retired from Hormel Foods. He was a member of Brainerd Presbyterian Church. He was a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. Tom was preceded in death by his parents, Thomas and Helen Simpson; a son, Thomas E. Simpson III; and sister, Patricia Norton. Survivors include his wife, Sharon Liner Simpson, 2517 Baskette Way, Chattanooga, Tenn. 37421-7608; two daughters, Mary S. Hughes and her husband, Hunter, of Ringgold, Ga., and Jody LaScala, of McDonough, Ga.; grandchildren, Gabrielle and Wyatt Hughes, and Alexis and Nicholas LaScala; and his sister, Judy Simpson, of North Augusta, S.C.
George William Walker II ’66 of Richmond and Bochum, Germany, a lecturer in the English Department at the University of the Ruhr, Bochum, died February 12, 2007, at his home in Bochum after a short illness. He graduated from Highland Springs High School in 1961. While still a student, he played French horn with the Richmond Symphony on several occasions. He obtained an undergraduate degree from Davidson, spending a year of study in Germany, and received a master’s degree from Duke University. During doctoral studies at Johns Hopkins University, he was offered the teaching position in Bochum and remained in that capacity for the rest of his life. He was intensely interested and accomplished in a number of areas. While still a Boy Scout in the 1950s, he founded with like-minded friends the Glenwood (Farms) Rocket Association. His skill with images came to include photography and water color painting. Laying aside the French horn, he became a self-taught and proficient recorder player, performing here and in Bochum. He hiked, camped and canoed throughout his life and was an award-winning target shooter. He researched and designed a number of American culture courses which he established as part of the university’s curriculum. His published work ranged from scholarly writings on Vladimir Nabokov to counterculture remembrances in a volume compiled by Paul Krassner. A final task brought him great satisfaction: the completion of his semester grading, finished a few hours before his death of complications from cancer. Survivors include his brother, Alfred Walker and his wife, Loretta; his sister, Kathy Grace; and nephews, Christopher and Nicholas Walker; also by his aunt, Elizabeth S. Mintz, 7727 Sheryl Dr., Norfolk, Va. 23505; four first cousins, and an array of friends on both sides of the Atlantic. The family thanks William’s colleague, Ms. Petra B. Schubert of Wanne-Eickel, Germany, who was indispensable to William during his illness and to his family following his death.
Timothy Richard Swann ’70 of Winston-Salem died on March 22, 2007, of injuries suffered from a fall in his home. A clinical psychologist, he had been in private practice in Winston-Salem since 1983. At Davidson, he was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He earned a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the University of Rhode Island in 1980. He loved the outdoors and woodworking. His favorite pastime was making people laugh and cooking for friends. Survivors include his wife, Dr. Joan E. Wilkins, 2855 Monticello Dr., Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106-5835, a clinical psychologist and member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. His son, Lyle Michael Swann, also a member of St. Paul’s, is currently attending the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, where he is a member of Phi Delta Theta. Other surviving family members include his parents, Margaret and Edwin J. Swann; his sister, Jacqueline L. Swann; a nephew, Preston Swann and his wife Angie and their daughter Kaylie McKenna Swann, Dr. Swann’s grandniece, all of Savannah, Ga.
Edward Seddon Goode ’82 of Charlotte, died April 19, 2007, after a long battle with cancer. He was born March 29, 1960, in Charlotte, N.C. where he lived most of his life. Ed graduated from Charlotte Latin School in 1978. He then attended Davidson where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. After graduating from Davidson in 1982 with a B.A. in economics, he went to work for NCNB. He pursued graduate studies at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia. He graduated from the Darden School with his masters in business administration in 1987 and returned to Charlotte. Ed married Elizabeth “Beth” Whitener in June of 1987 and then joined First Charlotte Corporation. He went on to found Carolinas Capital Investment Corporation, a Charlotte-based venture capital fund focused on companies in the Carolinas. Carolinas Capital invested in Digital Optics Corporation where Ed became chief financial officer and vice chairman. Ed served as a member of the North Carolina Railway Advisory Commission and was the former vice chairman of the Governor’s Rail Task Force. He was appointed to the board of trustees of the North Carolina Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System and served from 1995 to 2001 and again from 2005. In 2006, he served on the School Building Solutions Committee. Ed loved North Carolina and the natural beauty of his home state. Going to lacrosse games, basketball games, anything to be with his family was Ed’s greatest joy. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Whitener “Beth” Goode; his daughter, Mary Ellen Goode; his son, Edward Seddon “Eddie” Goode, Jr.; his father and mother, Seddon “Rusty” Goode, Jr. ’54,and Jane Nisbet Goode; his sister and her husband, Elizabeth Goode “Beth” Reigel ’80 and Ernest William “Ernie” Reigel ’80, all of Charlotte; and his sister and her husband, Mary Jane Goode ’88 and Walter Curtis “Walt” Gramley ’86 of New York City. He is also survived by two nieces, three nephews, other relatives and many, many friends. Memorials may be made in Ed’s name for Davidson College, The Annual Fund, P.O. Box 7170, Davidson, N.C. 28035 and Hospice & Palliative Care, 1420 East Seventh Street, Charlotte, N.C. 28204.
We apologize that the following memorial was inadvertently omitted from our Spring issue:
Lawrence D. Hall ‘77 died November 26, 2006. Larry, as his many friends and family knew him, lived in Statesville, and for more than fifteen years worked in the cabinet business in Charlotte. Most recently, Larry launched the Canac Cabinets of the Triad dealership in Mocksville after a successful sales career with Canac Kitchens of the Carolinas in Charlotte. At Davidson College, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Gena Williams Hall, 541 Brookhaven Rd., Statesville, N.C. 28625; a daughter, Tate Hall; a son, Roy Hall; and his mother, Daphine Hanks of Danville, Va., and Fort Pierce, Fla. No service is planned. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Larry D. Hall Children’s Education Fund, c/o Piedmont Bank, Attn: Hwy. 64 Branch, P.O. Drawer 7109, Statesville, N.C. 28687.
The obituary for The Rev. Royal E. Walther, Jr. ’57 in our Spring issue misstated his name. We regret the error. —Eds.