The Davidson College Jazz Ensemble is an auditioned “big band” of approximately eighteen musicians. The group rehearses and performs throughout the year, with several events highlighting the schedule.
- Monday, 4:00 - 5:45, Sloan 200
- Thursday, 4:00 - 5:45, Tyler-Tallman Hall
- Auditions for the fall take place in August during the first week of classes
- For the 2011-2012 season, the audition days are August 24, 25, and 26
- Contact Bill Lawing at email@example.com for more information
- Auditions Consist of:
- Prepare one or two contrasting pieces that you feel comfortable playing. If you decide to only prepare one piece, it should contain both lyrical and more technical material (It is best to choose selections that accurately reflect your ability, no matter what your level.) This part of the audition does not need to exceed five minutes total
You will NOT be asked to play scales or arpeggios
On rare occasions, you may be asked to do a bit of sight-reading
- Spring Concert: a performance is in the Duke Family Performance Hall, featuring a major guest artist.
- Fall: a concert at Family Weekend
- The week prior to the beginning of the spring semester is the annual tour shared with the Symphony Orchestra. Find out past and future tour destinations.
- The Jazz Ensemble commonly performs at many events throughout the region, including the extremely popular Concerts on the Green in Davidson.
Contact Prof. Bill Lawing, Director, Jazz Ensemble
Listen to the Jazz Ensemble
These audio clips were recorded at the Jazz and Brass Ensemble's live performances in the springs of 2004, 2005 and 2006. The clips require RealPlayer. Download the player.