Palmer Morgan Kirkpatrick, Sr. ’34
Carlos Lowery Young ’36
William A. Zachary ’37
Dr. William Dallas Herring ’38
Wilson James Northcross, Jr. ’39
George Hanscom Wilson ’39
Frank Richard Walker ’41
William Henry Nelson ’42
The Rev. Charles E. Parrish ’42
The Rev. George McCulley Webb ’42
Philip Fransioli Busby ’43
Donald Reid Chisholm Sr. ’43
Dr. James P. McCrary ’43
Dr. DeWitt D. Phillips, Jr. ’44
H. Edwin Pickard ’44
The Rev. J. Stanton Blain ’45
R. Sam Yarborough, Jr. ’45
William Campbell Spratt Jr. ’46
Edward Colmery “Mullethead” Sutton ’47
Joseph Davidson McLean ’48
James M. Pursifull, Jr. ’48
Elmo M. Sellars, Jr. ’48
Joseph C. Watkins, Jr. ’48
John Andrew Gullick, Jr. “Andy” ’49
Parks Johnson Stallings ’49
William Cunningham Sugg, M.D. ’49
Dr. Robert Joseph Grube ’50
William E. Morrow, Jr. ’51
Dr. Perry Cliffe Daniels ’52
Robert A. McPheeters, Jr. ’52
Michael “Mike” Myers ’53
William G. Hill ’54
G.L. Buist Rivers, Jr. ’54
John M. Hiers ’56
Kerry E. Spiers ’56
The Royal E. “Erv” Walther, Jr. ’57
Dr. Clarence Pope “Tony” Huggins, Jr. ’59
Clarence L. (C.L.) Hardy ’61
George Thomas Abernathy, Jr. ’63
Dr. David Baker Olin ’64
W. Clayton Edwards ’69
Lawrence D. Hall ’77
James R. “Jay” Chitty ’07
Palmer Morgan Kirkpatrick, Sr. ’34 of Florence, S.C., died November 18, 2006, at the Presbyterian Home of South Carolina in Florence. In 1951, he graduated from George Peabody College for Teachers with a master of arts degree in elementary education. He taught in the public schools of Durham, N.C., and Laurel Hill, N.C., and was an administrator in the South Carolina schools of Leesville, Walterboro, Great Falls, Hartsville, Sumter, Brookland-Cayce and Belton-Honea Path. He served a year as president of the S.C. Association of Elementary School Principals and a year as president of the S.C. Association for Supervisors and Curriculum Development. He served in the U.S. Army Air Force for three years in the United States and Europe during World War II as a meteorologist. He attained the rank of first lieutenant and later served for two years as an officer of the S.C. National Guard. He was a member and Sunday school teacher of First Presbyterian Church in Florence. He served as elder in several Presbyterian churches in South Carolina during a period of forty years. He was a member of the Florence Golden K Kiwanis Club and a life member of the National Education Association. Survivors include his wife, Edna Fishburne Kirkpatrick, 2350 W. Lucas St., Unit 18, Florence, S.C. 29501-1236; four sons, Julian P. Kirkpatrick of Manassas, Va., Palmer M. Kirkpatrick Jr. ’66 of Florence, Hugh G. Kirkpatrick of Greenville and Alan F. Kirkpatrick of Westminster, Md.; a daughter, Mrs. Jill Kirkpatrick (Bob) Bailey of Greenwood; two brothers, J. Mills Kirkpatrick of Black Mountain, N.C., and the Rev. C.E. Kirkpatrick of High Point, N.C.; a sister, Mrs. D.W. (Helen) Middleton of Laurinburg, N.C.; and twelve grandchildren.
Carlos Lowery Young ’36 of Shelby, N.C., died November 24, 2006. He loved to tell the story of taking a cow to DavidsonCollege. The cow provided milk for the cafeteria, which reduced his college expense. He received the Davidson Alumni Service Award in 1976. A lifelong member of FirstBaptistChurch, he was a deacon and Sunday school superintendent. His strong belief for missions led him to serve as a trustee of Gardner-WebbUniversity, a charter member and president of Gardner-Webb Board of Directors, a trustee of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, a member of the General Board of the N.C. Baptist State Convention, a trustee of N.C.BaptistHospital and moderator of Kings Mountain Baptist Association. Before his health limited his mobility, he regularly participated in prison ministry. He was inducted into the Army in 1941, served as a major in World War II and was awarded the Bronze Star. He returned to Shelby after the war where he co-founded Young Brothers Furniture Store and Young Rentals while being very active in local, state and national politics. His dedication to helping others was a lifelong calling. He was a charter member of the Cleveland County Heart Association, the Cleveland County Cancer Society and the Shelby Junior Chamber of Commerce. He was a past chairman of the Cleveland County March of Dimes. He served on the board of directors for the Red Cross, Kiwanis Club, Salvation Army, and United Way. He was awarded the Shelby Jaycees Young Man of the Year in 1950, Shelby Lions Man of the Year in 1970, North Carolina Mental Health Association Volunteer of the Year in 1969 and North Carolina Citizens Participation Volunteer of the Year at the Governor’s Mansion in 1976. He had a passion for exceptional children and people with mental illness. He was a charter member of the Cleveland County Mental Health Association, president of the North Carolina Mental Health Association, member of the North Carolina Mental Health Study Commission, member of the Governor’s Advisory Council of Comprehensive Health Planning for North Carolina, member of the Dean’s Division of the Bowman Gray School of Medicine and recipient of the North Carolina Mental Health Association Volunteer of the Year Award. He was also instrumental in the beginnings of public kindergartens and special education in North Carolina. He was preceded in death by his parents, H. Fields and Nina Lowery Young; his son, Carlos Lowery Young Jr.; two brothers, H. Fields Young Jr. ’36 and Lamar “Buddy” Young ’39; and a sister, Kathleen Young Foy. Survivors include his beloved wife of fifty-seven years, Constance Champion Young; his son Steve ’79 and wife Marijean Young of Wilmington; a daughter, Anne and husband Bill Beam of Wilmington; a sister, Eloise Young Spangler of Shelby; and his grandchildren, Haley Chitty, Jeanna and Stevie Young; and Ali and Will Beam. William A. Zachary ’37 of Marion, N.C., died February 8, 2002. He was a retired manager for Marion Manufacturing Company. After a year at Davidson, he earned his B.S. in textile management from N.C. State University.
Dr. William Dallas Herring ’38 of Rose Hill, N.C., died January 5, 2007, at Memorial HospitalBurgaw He lived his entire life in the house in which he was born, which, with his mother's inspiration and his own diligent work, became the Duplin County Historical Foundation library's home. He was a manufacturer, mayor, artist, Lion, Mason, Presbyterian elder, Sunday School teacher and author, but most of all champion of education. For his public service, he was awarded three honorary degrees; L.L.D., Pfeiffer College, 1959; L.L.D. Davidson College, 1961; and Hum. D., State University, 1964. For most of his adult life, he served as the president of Atlantic Coffin and Casket Company and Heritage Design Service.
His life of public service began at the age of 23 when he was elected mayor of Rose Hill in 1939, the youngest mayor in the nation. He served until 1951, during which time the town's streets were paved, a new town hall was built, and a fire department and water sewer system was established. In 1951, Dr. Herring joined the Duplin County Board of Education and was immediately elected chairman. It was the inauguration of a career devoted to expanding educational opportunities for North Carolinians of all ages and to raising teaching standards at all levels. That commitment led in 1953-54 to his selection as Phi Delta Kappa's “North Carolina's Man of the Year in Education,” to the Veterans of Foreign Wars “Wallace-Rose Hill Man of the Year,” and the News and Observer's “Tar Heel of the Week.” In 1955, he was appointed to the State Board of Education, and in 1957 he began his remarkable twenty-year record as the chairman of that important state board. He led campaigns to initiate the North Carolina Curriculum Study and to establish both the community college system and public kindergartens. He chaired the Southern Council for Better Schools and he served nine years on the State Board of Higher Education, providing liaison between the public graded schools and the university system. Dr. Herring was a life member of the North Carolina and National Education Associations and has scholarships, professorships and fellowships named for him at several institutions, including Davidson College and North Carolina State University. In 1979, he was saluted by 750 North Carolinians at an appreciation dinner at North Carolina State University attended by three governors and the state's educational, cultural and political leaders. Former Governor Terry Sanford called Dr. Herring “North Carolina's greatest spokesman for education in the 20th century” and former Congressman Martin Lancaster, at his inauguration as the president of the Community College System, referred to Dr. Herring as “the father and intellectual spirit of this system” and “North Carolina's renaissance man, the closest thing we have ever had to Thomas Jefferson.” A classical scholar, Dallas Herring has devoted his home to the preservation of historical and cultural resources of Duplin County and the surrounding region. His many honors include the North Carolina Award for Public Service, North Carolina Association of Colleges and Universities Hugh McEntry Award, the University of North Carolina University Award, the North Carolina Community Colleges’ I.E. Ready Award, and the American Association for State and Local History's Award of Merit for establishing a local history program in the community colleges, and North Carolina Society Award for a lifetime of service to his fellow North Carolinians. Dr. Herring was preceded in death by two sisters, Susan H. Saunders and Rachel H. Hood. Survivors include a sister, Annie Louise H. Ward; two brothers, L. Clayton Herring, Sr. and Robert B. Herring, P.O. Box 160, Rose Hill, N.C. 28458; and many nieces and nephews.
Wilson James Northcross, Jr. ’39 of Memphis died December 12, 2006. He began his career as a sports announcer on WMC radio and also performed as a singer. He was a Navy lieutenant during World War II, serving as a communications officer aboard ship. After the war, he became nationally known as “The Voice of Firestone” and a pioneer in Memphis television as an on-air personality at WMC-TV. He joined Pepper-Tanner Studios and advanced from announcer to executive. He founded the radio and broadcast ministry for Second Presbyterian Church, serving forty-seven years. He was an elder emeritus. In retirement, he tutored children at the Neighborhood Christian Center. Survivors include his wife of sixty-five years, Jane Lederer Northcross, 200 Montrose. Memphis, Tenn. 38117; a daughter, Vicki Fletcher of Perryville, Ark.; four sons, Wilson Northcross III of Memphis, Van Northcross of West Barnstable, Mass, Jordan Northcross of LaGrange and Stephen Northcross of Germantown; seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
George Hanscom Wilson ’39, a brigadier general in the Air Force Reserve, died February 11, 2007, at The Virginian retirement community in Fairfax. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II, then owned an insurance company in Macon, Ga. He served in the Air Force Reserve from 1958 to 1973, and his unit was mobilized twice. When he retired, he was the longest-serving wing commander in the Air Force. He was born in Booneville, Miss., and attended Davidson College until enlisting in the Army Air Forces. He was a pilot instructor at Maxwell Field in Alabama and also flew B-29s at Tinian in the Pacific Theater. He was discharged with the rank of lieutenant colonel, after working as deputy inspector for operations in Guam. After operating his insurance company for twelve years, he returned to the Reserve. When he retired in 1973, he was working full time as base commander of Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Georgia and wing commander of the 403rd Tactical Airlift Wing. Among his military awards were the Legion of Merit and a Meritorious Service medal. He and his wife traveled around the United States in a motor home for several months, then shipped it to Europe and drove it there for two years. Upon their return, they lived for eight years in Marietta, Ga. In 1983, they moved to The Virginian. He was a past president of the residents' association there and was a member of Providence Presbyterian Church in Fairfax. He also enjoyed photography and staged slide shows for civic and garden clubs in Northern Virginia. Survivors include his wife of sixty-three years, Alma Tucker Wilson, 9229 Arlington Blvd Apt. 506, Fairfax, Va. 22031-2536; a daughter, Sherry Wilson Brown of Alexandria; a sister; and a brother.
Frank Richard Walker ’41 of Charlotte, N.C. died December 26, 2006. He led a life of dedication and honor, working lovingly and diligently in all the areas of his life. Frank was proud of his service to his family, his country, and his church. He was a World War II veteran, having served in the Pacific Theater as a Marine Captain in the 4th Division. He was a faithful member of St. John's Baptist Church for more than fifty-six years. He served his church in many capacities. He was the superintendent of the junior high department, and later a teacher for the single young adult group. He was chairman of the board of deacons; later he became a deacon emeritus. He worked with great commitment throughout his life, building his own business, Walker-Engle and Associates, from which he retired in 1983. In his retirement he most often could be found tending the beautiful growing things he loved so much. He cultivated award-winning camellias, azaleas, boxwoods, and wonderful vegetable gardens at his homes in Charlotte and at LakeNorman. Above all, Frank was a family man. He loved his wife and proudly commemorated each anniversary from the 50th to their 64th by adding a single red rose to a permanent arrangement that was displayed in their home. In 1942, he married his sweetheart, Marjorie Weller, 3610 Randolph Rd., Charlotte, N.C.28211. Survivors include his daughter, Patricia Walker Philemon and her husband Arnold; his son, Frank Richard Walker, Jr. and Cindy Osborne, and Frank Jr.'s former wife Linda P. Walker; his grandchildren, Leslie Parker and husband Jeff, and their daughters, Emily and Hannah, Dana Webb and husband Doug, and their daughters Olivia and Kendall, and David P. Walker and his wife Ashley Marks.
William Henry Nelson ’42 of Mooresville, N.C., died November 21, 2006. He was retired from the Mooresville Post Office as a city and a rural letter carrier. He was the owner and founder of Nelson Nursery in Mooresville for over fifty years. He was a World War II U.S. Army Air Corps veteran serving in the European Theater, where he received the Bronze Star. He was a member of the Broad Street Methodist Church where he served as a Sunday school teacher, for the young adults class and also served on the administrative board. He was past president of the Mooresville Kiwanis, past president of the N.C. Association of Nurserymen, where he received the D.S. Copeland Award, and past president of the Piedmont Association of Nurserymen. He received an Honorary Lifetime Membership form the N.C. Association of Nurserymen. Survivors include his wife of sixty-one years, Nadine Nance Nelson, P.O. Box 402, Mooresville, N.C.28115; sons, Brian Nelson, Terrell, N.C., Warren W. Nelson, Mooresville, and Dr. Randy F. Nelson, a faculty member at DavidsonCollege; brother, Dr. Robert A. Nelson; grandchildren, Miles Franklin Nelson, Ian Randall Nelson ’02, and Mathew Jamison Nelson.
The Rev. Charles E. Parrish ’42 of Franklin, N.C., died November 6, 2006. He was a graduate of Union Theological Seminary and attended Duke graduate school. He was a retired (PCUSA) minister. He was an active member of the Highlands Presbyterian Church and a member of the Presbytery of Western North Carolina. He began his ministries in West Virginia, continued in North and South Carolina Georgia, and Virginia. These ministries not only include pastoring and preaching from the pulpit, but he was included in the administration of St. Andrews Presbyterian College and consulting with the Presbyterian Children’s Home in Lynchburg, Va. Early in his ministry, he was an active Boy Scouts leader and had numerous Eagle Scout recipients. He was preceded in death by his wife of sixty-two years, Ruth Stuart Parrish. Survivors include three children, Mary Beth Houston, Margaret P. Calloway, 267 Cheney Ln., Highlands, N.C. 28741, and Stuart Parrish; eleven grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
The Rev. George McCulley Webb ’42 of Knoxville, Tenn., passed away January 31, 2007. He was a member of Sequoyah Hills Presbyterian Church. He attended Davidson and received his degree from the University of Tennessee. He also received degrees from UT Law School and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. He taught religion at the Webb School of Knoxville where he served as trustee for forty-seven years. He founded Lake Forest Presbyterian Church in Knoxville in 1949 and was the pastor of Shelby Presbyterian Church, Shelby, N.C., for seventeen years. He was a member of the Tennessee Bar and was certified to practice before the State of Tennessee Supreme Court. He was a U.S. Army veteran, having served during War World II. He is survived by his children, Dan Webb of Seattle, Sandy Webb of Annapolis, Carol Dishart of Pittsburgh, Anne Neely of Charlotte, and Jean W. Bonnyman ’85, 119 Greenbrier Dr., Knoxville, Tenn.37919; and six grandchildren. He was married to the late former Carolyn McSween.
Philip Fransioli Busby ’43 of Fort Lauderdale died November 17, 2006. He attended DavidsonCollege and graduated from Harvard University in 1949. He served in the Merchant Marine during World War II. He worked at Wachovia Bank and at McLean Trucking Co. before joining Sea-Land Service in 1957. He was one of a pioneer group whose development of containerization revolutionized ocean freight shipping and, as a consequence, worldwide commerce. His idea of putting self-contained refrigeration units in shipping containers made long-distance transport of perishable products possible. He was the general manager of Caribbean development at Sea-Land Service and executive director of the Caribbean Shipowners Association for twenty years. Mr. Busby started and managed several ocean transportation companies. Survivors include his wife, Frances Bradsher of Salisbury; children Philip, Byron, 2733 NE 34th St., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 33306, Spencer, and Bonnie; grandchildren Philip, Gemma, Nicole, Leah, Lina, Lissette, Lilia, Byron, Lara, Avery, and Spencer; and one great-grandson, Christopher Morales. Mr. Busby is also survived by one brother, Capt. John Carroll Busby, and was preceded in death by brother Christopher Nutter Busby.
Donald Reid Chisholm Sr. ’43 of Asheboro, N.C., died January 2, 2007. He received his master of education degree in 1960 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was an active member of First Presbyterian Church, where he was a former elder, deacon and superintendent of Sunday School. He was employed for 31 years with Asheboro City Schools System, where he taught at McCrary and Fayetteville Street and was principal at Fayetteville Street and Donna Lee Loflin. For many years, he was a volunteer for Meals on Wheels.Survivors include his wife, Carolyn Shepard Chisholm, 1302 Old Cox Rd., Apt. 16, Asheboro, N.C. 27205-9408; son, Reid Chisholm ’90 and his wife, Julia Kim, of Chapel Hill; grandchildren Hannah Chisholm and Jacob Chisholm; brother-in-law George Shepard of Chapel Hill; nephews Adam Shepard of North Charleston, S.C., and Erik Shepard of Garner.
Dr. James P. McCrary ’43 of Austin, Texas, died Nov. 23, 2006. He was a retired Presbyterian minister. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Carolyn D. McCrary, 610 Rathervue Pl., Austin, Texas 78705.
Dr. DeWitt D. Phillips, Jr. ’44 of Charlotte, N.C., died January 24, 2007. He was a graduate of WakeForest's Bowman Gray School of Medicine. He began an active practice in Charlotte after a residency in Philadelphia. During the Korean War he served as base surgeon at Pope Air Force base and was honorably discharged as a captain in the United States Air Force. He retired in 1989 as a Charlotte physician who practiced for forty-three years. Over the years, “DD,” as he was known to his family and friends, contributed with tremendous energy to various volunteer causes. He was a devoted Shriner and Potentate of the OasisTemple in Charlotte. He chaired the Shrine Bowl Football Game for a number of years and also served as the teams’ physician. He was past chairman of the board of governors for the GreenvilleShrinersHospital for Crippled Children. It was his love for helping others that endeared him to the Shrine organization. He was past president of the Royal Order of Jesters. He was awarded the Masonic 33rd degree for service to the Masonic Order. He served on the board at Oxford Orphanage. He was a devoted member of Myers Park Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon and elder, and taught Sunday school class. He served on the board at MontreatAndersonCollege. It was at church that “DD” met and eventually married his beloved wife, the former Geraldine Grady. Dr. Phillips was a beloved benefactor of DavidsonCollege, where he graduated in three years. He was president of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and served in various capacities as a volunteer for the fraternity and the school. He and his wife Geri eventually retired to Southminster where he served as vice mayor and mayor. Survivors include his wife, Geraldine Grady Phillips, 8919 Park Rd. Apt 246, Charlotte, N.C. 28210; son, John DeWitt Phillips ’88; daughter-in-law, Alice B. Phillips; and four beloved grandchildren, Jack, Anna, Elizabeth, and Luke Phillips.
H. Edwin Pickard ’44 of Raleigh, N.C., died November 22, 2006. He earned a B.D. degree from Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va., in 1946 and was awarded the Walter W. Moore and John A. MacLean Fellowship for graduate theological study. He received a Th.M. from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1947 and a Th.D. from Union Theological Seminary in Virginia in 1951. An honorary Doctor of Divinity degree was conferred by Davidson College in 1978. For over fifty years, “Dr. Ed,” as he was affectionately known in his congregations, lived his motto, “I want to make my life count all that it can, for as long as it can, in the service of God, and in ministry to others.” He began his ministry at Sunset Hills Presbyterian Church, Charlotte, N.C. in 1947. He then was senior minister at Orange Presbyterian Church, Orange, Va. In 1954, Dr. Pickard moved to Beaumont, Texas, to become senior minister at a new church, St. Andrews Presbyterian. In 1966, he accepted a call to become the senior minister at White Memorial Presbyterian Church in Raleigh, N.C., where he retired in March 1993, just shy of his seventieth birthday. He continued his ministry in “retirement” as an interim senior minister at Presbyterian churches in New Orleans, La.; Goldsboro, N.C.; Black Mountain, N.C., and Dalton, Ga. During his lifetime, he served on numerous committees, boards of trustees and visitors for seminaries and colleges, and in Presbyterian governing bodies. He was a member of the Lions Club in Beaumont, Texas, and Raleigh. He wrote numerous educational articles for the Presbyterian Church (USA). He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen Little Pickard, Survivors include four children: Sharon P. Merritt of Dalton, Ga.; Cambey P. Gallagher of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.; John Pickard of Raleigh, N.C.; and Sara P. Finger of Hickory, N.C. In addition, he is survived by nine grandchildren: Turner, John and Cambey Merritt; Peyton Gallagher and Laura Gallagher Sammons and her husband, David; Hampton and Katherine Pickard; and Patrick and Mary McKenzie Finger; a brother, Franklin Pickard and grandson, Zachary Hendren Pickard; and his sister-in-law, Dr. Sara P. Little.
The Rev. J. Stanton Blain ’45 of Virginia Beach, Va. died December 5, 1998. He earned a B.D. and Th.D. from Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va. He was a retired minister. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Margaret Alphin Blain, 4808 Mandan Road, Virginia Beach, Va.23462-5826; and four children.
R. Sam Yarborough, Jr. ’45 of Albany, Ga., died February 1, 2007. He spent two years at Davidson College before he enlisted in the Army Air Corps where he served for three and a half years. He was stationed in Okinawa when WWII ended. After discharge he attended Georgia Tech and later graduated with honors. Upon graduation he returned to Albany where he worked with Albany Concrete Company and Joe Brashears Steel Company, where he retired after twenty-eight years as executive vice president. Sam came out of retirement to work with the State of Georgia as the on-site engineer of state jobs in Albany, Americus, and Tifton. While at Georgia Tech he married Betty Jane Garvey and together they raised four sons. He was a charter and current member of Porterfield Memorial United Methodist Church. He was the first Sunday School superintendent and a deacon in the church. Since retirement he served as a member of the “fix-it” department, helping those who have needs in the church. He was a member of the Lion's Club for fifty-six years and the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award as well as serving as president for several years. He was the president emeritus of Mended Hearts and was very involved with Habitat for Humanity, serving on their local board. He also received the Service to Mankind award from the Sertoma Club. He is survived by sons Robert Samuel III (Colleen) of Florida, Rayburn Norbert (LaDonna) of Tennessee, Joseph Berney of Albany, Michael Webb (Diane) of Albany; eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren; brother Thomas Stokes (Louise) Yarborough ’46 of Albany and sister Leah Yarborough (Ridley) Monk of Sylvester, and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty Jane.
William Campbell Spratt Jr. ’46 of Fredericksburg, Va. died December 17, 2006. He was a World War II Army Air Corps B-24 pilot, having flown over thirty missions in the European Theater. Upon returning to Fredericksburg, he joined his father at W.C. Spratt Inc. and later became the owner of the company. In 1948, he married Patricia Fitzgerald, who preceded him in death in 1973. An avid outdoorsman who loved hunting, he was a charter member of Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club and a life member of Schenandale Gun Club of Staunton. Campbell was an accomplished jazz musician who played in several area bands through the years. He was well-known for playing the saxophone and was a charter member of the Fredericksburg Big Band. Survivors include his wife of thirty-one years, Ruth Caple Spratt, 318 Ingleside Dr., Fredericksburg, Va. 22405; his children, W.C. “Rob” Spratt III and his wife, Gail, of Fort Myers, Fla.; Stephen W. Spratt and his wife, Linda, of Fredericksburg; Rebecca S. Smith and her husband, Steve, of Lynchburg; Patricia S. “Tricia” Rubenstein and her husband, Tom, of Blacksburg; and Sarah S. Minter and her husband, James, of Fredericksburg; his stepchildren, Donna Corbin of Fredericksburg and Charles W. Caple III and his wife, Susan, of Fredericksburg; fourteen grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; a sister, Martha Helmen and her husband, Harry “Bud” Helmen, of Fredericksburg; and several nieces and nephews.
Edward Colmery “Mullethead” Sutton ’47 of Burlington, N.C., died Feb. 16, 2007. Ed’s college career was interrupted by Pearl Harbor, and he enlisted in the Army. He fought in Europe with the 63rd Infantry Division, and his citations include various medals and ribbons including the Bronze Star. In 1951, Ed received his medical degree from the University of Pennsylvania, after which he moved to Rockingham, N.C., where he practiced family medicine from 1953 to 1960. He then did a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Bowman Gray Medical School, where he also received the Outstanding Teaching Award in 1961. In 1963, he moved to Burlington, N.C., and practiced ob/gyn until 1989, stamping out considerable disease and delivering more than 5,000 babies. Although “officially” retired, Ed continued to work as a physician at the Elon University Student Health Clinic and the Yanceyville Public Health Clinic in the mid-to-late ’90s. During this time, Ed also entertained numerous medical associations and organizations as “The Medical Humorist”—by sharing the humorous experiences he had making house calls in rural North Carolina. His appointments, honors and awards are numerous. Among them: Fellow, American College of Ob/Gyn, 1965–2007; Chairman, Davidson College Annual Fund, 1973, Davidson College Alumni Service Award in 1982, 1947 Class Secretary since 1963; Young Man of the Year, Rockingham, N.C., 1958; Chief, Ob/Gyn Department, Memorial Hospital of Alamance County, 1979–81; Chairman, North Carolina Medical Society, Ob/Gyn Section, 1979–80; President, N.C. Ob/Gyn Society, 1978-79; Chief, Medical Staff, Memorial Hospital of Alamance County, 1975-78. Survivors include his loving and devoted wife, Jeanie Partin Sutton, 383 Portsmouth Ct., Burlington, N.C. 27215; his sons, Edward Colmery Sutton Jr. ’77 of Pittsboro, N.C., and Robert Pitman Sutton ’80of Chapel Hill, N.C.; his daughter, J. Brucie Sutton of Greensboro, N.C.; his grandson, Edward Colmery Sutton III of Pittsboro, N.C., and his granddaughter, Natalie Ann Sutton of Chapel Hill. He was preceded in death by his son, John Partin Sutton of Rockingham, N.C.; his mother, Clemmie Colmery Sutton and his father, John Pitman Sutton, both of Decatur, Ga. and Graham, N.C. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be given to W. Olin Puckett Premed Scholarship at Davidson College, Box 7174, Davidson, N.C. 28035; the First Presbyterian Church of Burlington or the Alamance/Caswell Hospice.
Joseph Davidson McLean ’48 of Goldsboro, N.C., died February 16, 2007.He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean Conflict and was awarded a bronze star for meritorious service. Following his military service he graduated from the Fayetteville ObserverHe was a faithful member of the West Raleigh Presbyterian Church, where he served on the board of deacons and wrote for church publications. He left OliveGoldsboroSurvivors include two sisters, Mrs. Dorothy M. McCormick of St. Pauls and Mrs. Hallie M. Parker and her husband, James, of 212 Kirkwood Dr., Chapel Hill, N.C. 27514; a sister-in-law, Mrs. Margaret McLean of Murfreesboro and twenty nephews and nieces, including Peggy and Jim Womble of Goldsboro, who served as his faithful caretakers during his illness. He is preceded in death by his parents, The Rev. A. A. McLean ’06 and Mrs. McLean; three brothers, Frederick Hall McLean of Lenoir; William Speight McLean ’47 of Black Mountain, and Dr. A.A. McLean, Jr. ’42 of Murfreesboro; his sister and her husband, Edith McLean Barden and Stephen Barden of Montreat; a nephew, Stephen Barden, Jr., ’67 of Asheville; a brother-in-law, William McCormick of Saint Pauls and a sister-in-law, Jane McLean of Black Mountain.
James M. Pursifull, Jr. ’48 of Pineville, Ky., died February 13, 2005. He was the retired owner of Pursifull Insurance Company. He was a member of Pikeville Lions Club, the Moore Memorial Presbyterian Church where he had served as treasurer, and a former member of the Junior Chamber of Commerce. Survivors include his wife, Thelma Pursifull, 512 Kentucky Ave., Pikeville, Ky. 40997.
Elmo M. Sellars, Jr. ’48 of Greensboro, N.C., died Feb. 11, 2006. He was a retired engineer with M. Michael Ellis Company. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Carolyn Biard Sellars, 3240 Horse Pen Creek Rd, Greensboro, N.C. 27410.
Joseph C. Watkins, Jr. ’48 of Gray, Tenn., died August 18, 2006, at Bristol Regional Medical Center. Following a year at Davidson, he earned a B.S. from N.C. State University. He served in the U.S. Navy. Later he was a chemical engineer with Mead Corp. Surviving are his wife, Jacquie Watkins, 157 Lois Dr., Gray, Tenn. 37615; one daughter, Joy Bolea and husband, Steve, of Watertown, Minn.; two sons, Joe Watkins and wife, Jean deLong, of Tucson, Ariz., and Fred Watkins, of Kalamazoo, Mich.; ten grandchildren, Daniel, Matthew, Andrew, Valerie, Laurel, Patrick, Hilary, Nicole, Emily, and Sean; one sister, Ruth Norton; two brothers, Howard Watkins, Bob Watkins; brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Fred and Edith Zucker; nieces, Pam, Sharyn and Karen; and nephews, Robert, Mike, Terry, Brad, Peter and Phillip.
John Andrew Gullick, Jr. “Andy” ’49 of Victoria, Texas, died February 10, 2007. He graduated Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, B.D. 1959, Th.M., 1964. He served his country in the U.S. Air Force from 1951–53. He worked as a cotton broker in Gaston County, N.C. 1953–56, as pastor of Shepherdstown Presbyterian Church in West Virginia from 1959–63, Keyser Presbyterian Church, WVa., from 1964–93. He also served as pastor emeritus, Keyser Presbyterian, on the Alumni Board of Union Theological Seminary, Board of Directors for Sunnyside Presbyterian Home and also many committees in Shenandoah Presbytery. Andy taught Old and New Testament Survey Bible Courses for Potomac State College of West Virginia University, was active in Rotary Club and various areas of community service in W.Va., and was awarded Distinguished West Virginian by the governor in 1989. After retiring in 1993 Andy moved to Victoria and served many area PresbyterianChurches as interim and supply pastor. Survivors include his wife, Ruth Abernethy Gullick, 208 Westbrook Dr., Victoriam Texas 77904; daughter, Margaret Ruth Gullick Hesse and husband, Bob, of Victoria; grandchildren, Morgan Elizabeth Hesse and John-Ashton Christian Hesse. He was preceded in death by his parents; twin brother, Charlie Lineberger Gullick; an infant brother; and granddaughter, Katherine Allea Hesse.
Parks Johnson Stallings ’49 of Star Harbor, Texas, died December 7, 2006. He attended Davidson College prior to joining the service. He served in the United States Marine Corps during WWII and Korea. He was a major and aviator in the Marine Corps, and a fighter pilot instructor during WWII and a fighter pilot during the Korean War. Parks and his wife moved to Star Harbor, Texas, two-and-a-half years ago from Sky Valley, Ga. He was a member of Lions Club International and The Sertoma Club. He is survived by his wife of sixty-three years Gloria Glover Stallings; daughter Selwyn Dawn Wilson; sons Parks Johnson Stallings, Jr., and Charles Thomas Stallings, Ill.; sister Lucy Stallings Lisk of Charlotte, N.C.; brother Jack Stallings of Fairbanks, Alaska.
William Cunningham Sugg, M.D. ’49 formerly of Nursing CenterWinston-Salem He was awarded a medical degree from Medical CollegePhiladelphia He served the U.S. Navy in WWII as a pharmacist’s mate, 3rd class in NAB Yonabaru, Forsyth Medical Center for thirty-seven years. In retirement he served as director of medical services for the Blumenthal Jewish Home for the Aged. He dedicated his mind and heart to the medical profession and helping those in need. He was preceded in death by his wife of thirty-five years, Alice Millicent Brown Sugg; his parents, Benjamin Bruce Sugg, Sr. and Lillian Gray Sugg; and three brothers, Harold Gray Sugg ’37, Benjamin Bruce Sugg, Jr. ’33, and Fordyce Harding Sugg, Sr. ’40. He is survived by two sisters-in-law, Sarah B. Sugg and Catherine Sugg; six nieces and three nephews.
Dr. Robert Joseph Grube ’50 died February 13, 2007. After serving in the U.S. Navy, he graduated from Davidson. He was also a graduate of the Medical College of South Carolina. He began his private practice as a general practitioner in Camden, S.C., and then practiced medicine for many years in Clinton. He served as chief of staff at BaileyMemorialHospital, president of the Laurens County Medical Association and was on the Board of Admissions at the Medical University of South Carolina. He was an active member of the First Presbyterian Church and served in other community and volunteer capacities. He was an avid golfer at Lakeside Country Club for many years and enjoyed spending time on the South Carolina coast. He was the loved physician and friend to many in Clinton and will be greatly missed. His greatest joy came spending time with his wife and family. Survivors include his beloved wife of fifty-seven years, Fay Pitts Grube, 305 Edenburgh Cr., Clinton, S.C. 29325-1752; a son, Robert J. Grube Jr. and his wife, Susan, of Jacksonville, Fla.; his daughters, Susie Grube Pulliam and her husband, Jay, of Columbia, S.C., Lynn Grube Wellman and her husband, Michael, of Columbia, S.C.; Nancy Grube Koeniguer and her husband, Mark, of St. Louis, Mo. He also leaves seven grandchildren, Rachel and Erin Grube; Mike, Ben and Zach Wellman; and Grant and Nicole Koeniguer.
William E. Morrow, Jr. ’51 of Birmingham, Ala., died in 2005. He attended Davidson for two years and then earned his B.S. in industrial management from Georgia Tech. He was a retired electrical contractor. Survivors include his wife, Janet Taylor Moore, 420 Chase Plantation Pkwy., Hoover, Ala. 35244-1534.
Dr. Perry Cliffe Daniels ’52 of 105 Cornelius Rd., died on January 26, 2007. He had suffered a stroke five days earlier. He will be remembered as a great music teacher, a beautiful singer, and a man with a wonderful sense of humor. He earned his undergraduate degree at Davidson and his master’s and doctorate at the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor. He was a retired professor from Converse College where he taught voice for twenty-nine years. He conducted the Spartanburg Symphony Chorus and the St. Johns Lutheran Church choir. He taught and performed at Brevard Music Center for seventeen years and sang in numerous productions at the Charlotte Opera. He was also a veteran of the U.S. Army and an avid jogger. Survivors include his wife, Phyllis McFarland Daniels, 105 Cornelius Rd., Spartanburg, S.C. 29401; two sons, Michael Phillip Daniels and wife Kathy of Chesapeake, Va., and David Carlton Daniels of Silver Spring, Md.; a sister, Margaret Moore of Charlotte, N.C. and Joseph Daniels of Conway, S.C.; two granddaughters, Eva and Lily Daniels.
Robert A. McPheeters, Jr. ’52 of Brookeville, Md., died November 18, 2006. He was a retired division chief/principal economist for the World Bank in Washington. Survivors include his sons, Alexander (Kathryn), 265 Dill Ave., Frederick, Md., 21701; Robert (Heather) of Ijamsville, Md.; and Matthew of Brookeville, Md. He is also survived by four grandchildren, Colin, Gage, Lillian, and Haydon.
Michael “Mike” Myers ’53 of Charlotte, who tirelessly promoted Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte for more than 20 years, died December 3, 2006. From 1953-57, he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. He then worked in sales for Package Products/Engrah until 1974, when he joined Central Piedmont Community College as director of continuing education. He later became director of public information for special projects until his retirement in 1996. At Covenant Presbyterian Church, he was a Sunday school teacher, chaperone, and bus driver on youth trips, and an elder emeritus. He was a member of the General Assembly Council of the Presbyterian Church USA. Davidson honored him with the Alumni Service Award in 1978. He served as secretary for his class for thirty-six years. A decade after graduation, he began writing about his “classmate” Bill Edwards—a fictitious alumnus whose adventures continued for another 10 years. Edwards, a real estate tycoon, a father of triplets, an adventurer, even had a book drop dedicated to him at the college library before the hoax was up. Survivors include Mike’s wife of forty-eight years, Carolyn Myers, 3600 Cypress Club Dr. Apt 410-B, Charlotte, N.C. 28210; four children, Michael G. Myers, Jr., Charles Nelson Myers, Susie Sarkisian ’85 of Brockton, Mass, and Richard Henry Myers; five grandchildren, Evan Michael Myers, Anna Emerson Myers, Elizabeth Carolina Medaris Myers, Leah Rose Sarkisian, and Logan Michael Sarkisian; a brother, Henry Nelson Myers, Jr.
William G. Hill ’54 of Winston-Salem, N.C., died November 20, 2006. After attending Davidson, he graduated from UNC Chapel Hill.
He moved to Winston-Salem in 1957 and began work with Pilot Freight Carriers, Inc., where he retired after thirty years of service. He served his country in the U.S. Coast Guard. During the ’60s and ’70s he served on the technical lighting staff of the Little Theatre of Winston-Salem. He became an avid gardener and loved to grow roses and was a member of the Winston-Salem Rose Society. He won many awards for his wonderful roses. He was preceded in death by his wife of forty-eight years, Jeanne Glover Hill. Survivors include a daughter, Jeanne North Hill of Winston-Salem; a son, William G. Hill and wife, Carleen, and a grandson, Alexander Gilchrist Hill, all of Lexington, N.C.; a sister, Mary Hill Taylor, Wilmington, N.C.; and four nephews.
G.L. Buist Rivers, Jr. ’54 of Hollywood, S.C., died Oct. 26, 2006. At Davidson, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta. He was a graduate of the University of Virginia Law School. He served in the U.S. Army for two years. He was a partner with Hagood, Rivers and Young from 1959-65, then a senior partner and one of the founders of Young, Clement, and Rivers from 1968-1986 and then became of counsel in 1987. He was a member of the S.C. Bar Assocaition, Kiwanis Club, and numerous clubs, societies, and boards. He was a member of the Episcopal Church serving as a vestryman. His lifelong passion for fire engines led to him being the head of the Board of Firemasters for the City of Charleston. One of his favorite activities was fox hunting. He was on the board of directors of the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America for twenty-one years. Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Carroll W. Rivers, 4808 Highlander Ln., Hollywood, S.C. 29449; a son, G.L. Buist Rivers III; a daughter, Reinette R. Boucher; a brother, Dr. Thomas P.R. Rivers ’57 of Charleston, S.C.; and four grandchildren, Buist Rivers IV, Eliza Lee Rivers; Alexander Boucher, and Caroline Boucher.
John M. Hiers ’56 died February 6, 2007 in St. Augustine, Fla. He was president of Hiers-Baxley Funeral Services and Highland Memorial Park. He graduated from Ocala High School, the University of Florida, and the New England Institute of Mortuary Science. He also attended DavidsonCollege and served in the U.S. Navy. His memberships included the Ft. King Presbyterian Church where had served as an elder, Marion-Dunn Lodge No. 19, F&AM. At his death he was serving as a district director for the Independent Funeral Directors of Florida and served on the Harbor Pilots Commission for the state of Florida. He was a former member of the State Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers. He also was an avid bridge player. He was preceded in death by his parents, J. Miles and Rosa Floyd Hiers.
Kerry E. Spiers ’56 of Louisville, Ky., died January 12, 2007, at this home with his loving family. Born in Detroit, Mich., he soon moved to Mobile, Ala., where he became an Eagle Scout. After graduation from Davidson, he served in the U.S. Navy, and then studied at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary, earning his master of divinity degree. He earned his master of arts at the University of Chicago Divinity School, then was pastor of the Broad Street Presbyterian Church in Mobile for three years. After earning his Ph.D. at Tulane University, he became professor of history at the University of Louisville, teaching there for thirty-one years. An avid traveler, Kerry spent much time studying at the Vatican and leading student groups to Italy and Greece. Throughout, he continued to serve the U.S. Navy in the Chaplain Corps., retiring with the rank of commander. Survivors include his wife of forty-three years, the former Barbara Ramey, 2402 Malvern Hill Ct., Louisville, Ky. 40242; his daughter, Laura Harrell; and granddaughter, Hannah; sons, Kelly and Patrick; his father and stepmother, Tally and Dolores Spiers of Mobile; and his brother Dennis (Sherry).
The Royal E. “Erv” Walther, Jr. ’57 ended his eight year fight with cancer on September 21, 2006, in Fremont. He attended Davidson in 1955-57 and graduated from MountHarveyCollege and the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary. He started missions in ChurchFremont, for twenty-three years. After forty years as a Lutheran pastor, he continued to serve interim ministries for four more years. He was also on the Fremont Board of Education, Memorial Hospital Foundation Board, Lutheran Social Services Synod Board, and local LSS board. Survivors include his wife of forty-seven years, Virginia P. “Penny” Walther, 825 Michaels Rd., Fremont, Ohio 43420; sons Tim and Mark; and six grandchildren.
Dr. Clarence Pope “Tony” Huggins, Jr. ’59, died January 9, 2007 at Pawley's Island, S.C. Following graduation from Davidson, he attended Duke Divinity School and Edinburgh University in Scotland. His studies were interrupted in 1960 when he was called to serve his country in the U.S. Army as an intelligence officer. After completing his military obligations, he received his master’s degree from the University in American Literature. He taught at UNC Greensboro before moving to Darlington in 1974 and continued his teaching career at FrancisMarionCollege in English, film, and video production. During this time, Tony completed his Ph.D. in English and education at USC. He retired from Francis Marion University in August of 2006. Dr. and Mrs. Huggins spent their retirement time enjoying Pawley’s Island. He was of the Methodist faith. Survivors include his wife, Marion Coggeshall Huggins, 233 Pocket Rd., Darlington, S.C. 29532 and Pawley's Island; two sons, Dr. Clarence Pope “Tony” Huggins III, his wife, Shawn Sims Huggins and their children, Adam and Sarah, of Raleigh, N.C; Geoffrey David Huggins, his wife, Kelleigh Koletar Huggins, and their children, Natalie and Gillian of Chapel Hill, S.C.; a sister, Alice Carol Caldwell and her husband, Thomas Price Caldwell ’62 of Starkville, Miss.; an aunt, Sarah David Rogers of Bennettsville, and uncle, James K. David of Ft. Myers, Fla.; two sisters-in-law, Jessie Rogersof Darlingtonand Emmy Lou Donald and her husband, Dr. Alexander G. Donald of Columbia.
Clarence L. (C.L.) Hardy ’61 died December 13, 2006. He was born June 7, 1939 in Kinston, son of the late Harmon and Gladys Hardy. He was a graduate of Davidson College where he was a member of Alpha Tau Omega. After receiving a master's degree in English from the University and then taking a position in the English Department at Virginia Tech, where he taught for more than twenty years. He was renowned for his excellent teaching, appreciation of literature, humor, profound love of music, and sociability. Survivors include his uncle James Creech, 718 Jones Ave., 28501-2742, and half-brother Harmon Hardy, Jr. C.L. leaves behind a wide circle of friends who became his family, most particularly James O. Hoge, Jr., Carol Hoge and their family. In lieu of flowers, friends should consider donating to an endowment C.L. had established in his name at Davidson College, Office of Development, Davidson College, Davidson, N.C. 28035.
George Thomas Abernathy, Jr. ’63 died in Augusta, on December 26, 2006. He was a WarwickHigh School, Davidson, and the University of Virginia Law School. He was a practicing attorney with the U.S. Air Force Judge Advocate; Marshall, Blaylock, Garner and Millner; and retired from Bell South Legal Dept. Survivors include his sister, Susan Abernathy McCreary, and husband, Robert; niece, Mallory McCreary and nephew, Robert G. McCreary. He was preceded in death by his parents, Estelle and George Abernathy. Expressions of sympathy may be made to the Riverside Health System Foundation (AbernathyGarden at Causey's Mill) in Tom's memory. Address is: 701 Town Center Dr., Suite 1000, Newport News, Va. 23606
Dr. David Baker Olin ’64 of Greensboro, N.C., February 2, 2007. At Davidson, he was president of his fraternity, Sigma Chi. He was selected for membership in Who's Who, Alpha Epsilon Delta, and Omicron Delta Kappa honoraries. Following graduation from Davidson, he returned to Columbus to enter the College of Medicine at OhioStateUniversity. A year later he married his beloved wife, Julie. As a medical student, he became president of the student body and a member of the Phi Alpha Chi medical fraternity; was elected to the Landacre Society and Alpha Omega Alpha honoraries; and received the Dean's Award for Outstanding Senior Student.
After serving his internship at StateUniversity, where he was chief resident in 1972–73 and an assistant professor of medicine. He spent three years at ArmyMedicalCenterSan Antonio as staff nephrologist and chief of the hemodialysis program, receiving the Army Commendation Medal for his services. Following discharge from the Army in 1976, Dave and his family moved to Greensboro, where he joined Tannenbaum Medical Associates. Dave, along with his partner, Dr. Ron Garber, established the Greensboro Kidney Association in 1980. In addition to acting as director of the center, Dave was active on the staff of Wesley Long and Moses Cone Hospitals, and served as chief of medicine from 1990 until 1996. Dave retired from practicing medicine in 2003, but volunteered his time and talents to the teaching program at Wake Forest School of Medicine and the UNC Medical System. He was a member of First Presbyterian Church, the Greensboro Rotary, and the Greensboro Sports Council. He served on the Parents Council of Wake Forest University, the Athletic Foundation Board of Advisors at Davidson College, and the Cancer Advisory Board at Wake Forest University School of Medicine and Comprehensive Cancer Center. Dave was on the board of directors of the United Arts Council, the United Way of Greater Greensboro, Greensboro Day School, Stonefield Cellars Winery, and the Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro. An athlete throughout his life, Dave participated in sports in high school and college; coached his sons' soccer teams; and established, along with his wife Julie, the Olin Family Scholarships at Davidson College and Wake Forest University. Because of his own struggle, Dave was particularly involved with organizations combating cancer through research and awareness, particularly Golfers Against Cancer and the National Bone Marrow Donor Program. The Dave Olin Bone Marrow Committee received the prestigious Allison Atlas Award from the National Marrow Bone Program. Survivors include his wife of forty-one years, Juliana (Julie) Kraft Olin, 1 Baywater Ln., Greensboro, N.C. 27408; his son Dr. Matthew David Olin and wife Rina, of Greensboro; his son Jonathan Howard Olin ’95 and wife, PerMar ’96 , of Charlotte; and his five treasured grandchildren: Catherine, Baker, Brooks, Hayes and Virginia.
W. Clayton Edwards ’69, associate vice chancellor for the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, died January 7, 2007. He raised money for the university for almost nine years, but his legacy will affect generations to come. Clay joined UA in November 1998 and was “pivotal” in the university’s Campaign for the 21st Century. Money from the campaign benefited UA in a variety of ways, including scholarships, endowed professorships and new building projects. With more than twenty years of experience, he was a mentor to students and young staff members. He previously served as director of regional and university programs at Penn State University. From 1988 to 1996, he was director of development and alumni relations for Penn State’s College of Arts and Architecture, raising $ 11.6 million. He worked for the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra from 1983 to 1988, creating the symphony’s first development office and doubling fundraising efforts there. Survivors include his wife of twenty-four years, Sandy Keiser Edwards, 964 E. Arlington Ter., Fayetteville, Ark. 72701-2229, who also has the title of UA vice chancellor of university development.
Lawrence D. Hall ’77 died November 26, 2006. Larry, as his many friends and family knew him, lived in Charlotte. Most recently, Larry launched the Canac Cabinets of the Triad dealership in Mocksville after a successful sales career with Canac Kitchens of the Carolinas in Charlotte. At Davidson College, he was a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity. Survivors include his wife, Gena Williams Hall, 541 Brookhaven Rd., Statesville, N.C.28625; a daughter, Tate Hall; a son, Roy Hall; and his mother, Daphine Hanks of Danville, Va., and Fort Pierce, Fla. No service is planned. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Larry D. Hall Children's Education Fund, c/o Piedmont Bank, Attn: Hwy. 64 Branch, P.O. Drawer 7109, Statesville, N.C. 28687.
James R. “Jay” Chitty ’07, his parents, Jim and Kay Chitty, and brother, Taylor, all of Shelby, N.C., died in an airplane crash in Charlotte, N.C., on December 31, 2006. Jay’s father was a real estate appraiser and owner of J.F. Chitty & Associates in Shelby. His mother taught math at Cleveland County Community College and his brother, Taylor, was an eighth grader at Shelby Middle School. Jay was a senior math major and one of the captains of the men's tennis team at Davidson. Survivors include his sister, Haley Chitty 303 Tremont Pl., Shelby, N.C. 28150; his grandmother, Mrs. Constance C. Young, 922 West Sumter St., Shelby, N.C. 28105; aunt and uncle, Anne Young Beam and Bill of Wilmington