- NB: Syllabi are written in html and will open in a new tab/window.
WRI 101 Russia and the West (Fall 2011)
- This seminar offers an introduction to Russian culture with a focus on Russia's centuries-long tension with the West. Fulfills the distribution requirement in writing. First-year students only.
- 101 Elementary Russian I (Fall 2011)
102 Elementary Russian II (Spring 2012)
- Introduction and development of basic skills of listening, speaking, reading, and writing, along with presentation of the Cyrillic alphabet, fundamental sounds and structures of Russian, and general introduction to Russian culture. Students also work with audio, video, and computer exercises and participate in organized AT sessions with a native speaker.
- 201 Intermediate Russian I (Fall 2011)
202 Intermediate Russian II (Spring 2012)
- Continuing work in development of basic skills of Russian, with an emphasis on speaking and reading literary texts and newspapers. Prerequisite: Russian 201 or placement.
- 293 Topics in Russian Culture in Translation: St. Petersburg
- Sample topics include: St. Petersburg, Post-Soviet Culture, Stalinism, Soviet and Russian film, The Poet in Russian Culture. Fulfills the cultural diversity requirement. (Fall or Spring)
- 294 Topics in Russian Literature in Translation:
- Selected topics in Russian literature in translation. Sample topics include Women in Russian Literature,The Nineteenth-Century Russian Novel (Spring 2011), The Twentieth-Century Russian Novel. Prerequisite: English 101 or equivalent. Fulfills the cultural diversity requirement. (Fall or Spring)
- 319: Contemporary Russia (Fall 2011)
Discussions and written assignments based on excerpts from current newspapers, magazines, and films, focusing on recent Russian history, literature, and daily life. Fulfills the cultural diversity requirement. Prerequisite: RUS 202 or the equivalent.
- 410 Seminar in Special Topics in Translation
- Sample topics include Tolstoy and Dostoevsky (spring 2012). Fulfills the cultural diversity requirement.
209 Ridge Rd.