George F. Pomeroy ’28
John T. Welch, Jr. ’32
Donald J. Brandon ’35
Dr. Ben Lacy Rose ’35
Robert N. Atwater ’36
J. Frank Cabell ’36
William B. “Billy” Moore ’36
Alexander “Sandy” Stuart Moffett ’37
William F. French, Sr. ’40
Charles Dandridge Isom ’40
Robert Hancock Wood ’40
William Hugh Hamilton, Jr., M.D., ’41
Charles Stanton Field Jr. ’42
Dr. Richard H. Graham ’42
Augustus “Gus” McLean ’42
Philip T. Withers III ’46
William Styron ’46
O.G. Allen Jr. ’48
Jerrold S. “Jerry” Robinson '48
William H. “Pop” Bowman ’49
Dr. Ralph J. “Buck” Brandon, DDS ’49
The Rev. Norman Martin MacDowell Sr. ’49
Leigh Malcolm ’50
William Arnold “Arnie” Covell ’51
Thompson Dabney ’51
Billy Ray Rabb ’52
Hervey E Averette, M.D. ’54
Dr. James A. Sasser ’55
Dr. Charles Stitt Drummond Jr. ’58
Wiley Clenon Dees ’63
Robert David Miller ’64
Richard S. Spencer, Jr. ’68
Carroll Dean Ensley ’75
Amanda Susan Hall ’79
Major David G. Taylor, Jr. ’91
Chad H. Richardson ’96
George F. Pomeroy ’28 of Tallahassee, Fla., died December 11, 2004.
John T. Welch, Jr. ’32 of Charleston, S.C. died August 19, 2006. Following his graduation from Davidson, he worked in Columbia, S.C. until August 1942, when he joined the Army Air Force. He spent time in England during the war prior to returning to Columbia in 1946. He joined the First National Bank of South Carolina. In 1948, he came to Charleston to set up the office. He met Julie Pringle within a few weeks of arriving and they were married in September 1948. They settled in her family home at 29 Legare Street where they lived until she died in 1993. He was on the School Board for District 20, and was later chairman of the State Board of Education. He was awarded an honorary degree from the Citadel. He was very involved in the life of St. Philip's Church where he continued to attend. He served several times on the vestry and as the senior warden. Survivors include three daughters, Pam and Gil Wilkes of East Haven, Conn.; Ann Welch, 1406 Glencoe Dr., Mt. Pleasant, S.C. 29464; and Julie Acker of Mt. Pleasant, S.C.; and special caretaker, Margaret Brightman of Charleston, S.C. He has four grandchildren, Gil Wilkes, of Victoria, Canada, Julia O’Connell of Pittsburg, Pa., Sarah and Lee Acker of Mt. Pleasant, S.C., and two great grandchildren. He stayed close to his family in North Carolina and is survived by his brother, Bill Welch of Charlotte, N.C., his nieces, nephews, and many cousins in Mt. Holly, N.C. He is also survived by his second wife, Elizabeth Welch of Spartanburg, S.C.
Donald J. Brandon ’35 of Knoxville, Tenn., died July 30, 2006. He earned his B.D. and Th.M. from Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va.; and received an honorary doctor of divinity from Davis Elkins College. He was s a retired Presbyterian minister and had served Presbyterian Church, White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., First Presbyterian Church, Welch, W.Va., and Fountain City Presbyterian Church (22 years), Knoxville, Tenn. After retirement, he served as an interim pastor. He was elected moderator of Synod of West Virginia and Synod of Appalachia. Survivors include his wife Dorothy Brandon, 5517 Peyton Pl., Knoxville, Tenn. 37918; and three children, Donna, Joseph, and Robert.
Dr. Ben Lacy Rose ’35 or Richmond, Va., professor emeritus of homiletics and pastoral leadership at Union Theological Seminary in Richmond and former moderator of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.), died November 13, 2006. He earned his B.D., Th.M., and Th.D. at Union, where he was a former trustee. He was awarded an honorary doctor of divinity from Davidson in 1974. In February, he was honored at Westminster Canterbury Richmond, where, as a resident, he had enriched retirees’ lives by helping lead worship services, lecture series, and Bible studies, and by visiting residents. He taught preaching from 1956 to 1973 at what is now Union Theological Seminary & Presbyterian School of Christian Education, occupying the Benjamin Rice Lacy Professorship named for his uncle. He once estimated he had written more than 2,000 sermons and helped train more than 600 ministers. From 1971 to 1972, he served as moderator of the 953,000-member Southern branch of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.) Considered a moderate, he was known for his stance for unity within the church. For more than two decades, Dr. Rose's “Q&A” column delighted readers in 194,000 homes where his denomination’s magazine, the Presbyterian Survey, circulated. Although he retired from the church in 1978, he was supply pastor at Hebron Presbyterian Church in Manakin until 1999. His nearly 70-year stand in the pulpit took him to churches in North Carolina, Central Presbyterian Church in Bristol, and Ginter Park Presbyterian Church in Richmond. During World War II, he served as an Army chaplain in Europe, earning the Bronze Star, and was a retired Army Reserve colonel. His wife, Anne Claiborne Thompson Rose, died in 2005. Survivors include a son, Ben Lacy Rose Jr. of Richmond; two daughters, Anne Nancy Vosler of St. Louis, Miss., and Margaret Rockwell Day of Noank, Conn.; and four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Robert N. Atwater ’36 of Burlington, N.C., died October 1, 2006. He was a captain in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was a retired automobile dealer, owning and operating Atwater Ford in Burlington. He was a past director of the North Carolina Automobile Dealer’s Association, member and past president of the NADA, and was former president of the Alamance County Chamber of Commerce. He was also a former member of the Elks, was a Mason, Shriner, and Rotarian and formerly served on the Board of Stewards of Forest Street United Methodist Church. He was preceded in death by his wife, Katherine Dickey Atwater on June 17, 2002. Survivors include his daughter, Ms. Barbara Brent Atwarter, a son, R. Kent Atwater of Burlington; a sister, Mrs. Josephine “Tut” Pell of Pilot Mountain, N.C., a brother, Dr. Frank G. Atwater ’42 of Greensboro, N.C.; two grandchildren, Jennifer Leigh Atwater and Erin Greenway Atwater.
J. Frank Cabell ’36 of Jackson, Miss., died January 4, 2006. He retired as president of Cabell Electric Wholesale Company in 1979. During World War II he served as a flight instructor. He trained American, French, and Dutch pilots, sending many pilots to the Eighth Air Force.
William B. “Billy” Moore ’36 of Tryon, N.C., died September 24, 2006. He was a first lieutenant with the U.S. Marines in World War II, serving as a company commander in Iwo Jima, where he received the Purple Heart. He moved to Polk County in 1952. Later he was retired from Conrad, Hoey, East CPA firm, Spartanburg, S.C. He was a member of the Episcopal Church of the Holy Cross of Creston, N.C. Survivors include many friends whose lives he touched, and a niece, Ms. Janet Montgomery, 5587 Jones Rd., Creston, N.C. 28615.
Alexander “Sandy” Stuart Moffett ’37 of Tampa, Fla., died September 28, 2006. After graduation from Davidson, he worked for four years at Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in Greensboro and Charlotte before being called up by the Army as a first lieutenant in the reserves and being sent to MacDill Field. In Tampa he met and fell in love with Barbara Anderson, and they were married on June 6, 1942. In preparation for wartime deployment, they were stationed at a number of Air Force bases in the western U.S. until Sandy was sent with the 96th Bomb Group to England, 1943–45. He was discharged with the rank of colonel, with citations of honor. In 1946, Sandy and Barbara returned to Tampa where he became employee of Tampa Coal Company. He became CEO of the company in 1955, a post he kept until the company was sold in 1986. He was active in the Hyde Park Presbyterian Church, serving as deacon, elder (the youngest elected to this post), teacher, and Stephen Minister. He was also elected to positions on presbytery, synod and national councils of the Presbyterian Church. In addition, he was a dedicated member of the Tampa Rotary Club and served as its president in 1954-55. Sandy also served on boards of the United Fund, boys clubs of Tampa, and Tampa Philharmonic, Hospice of Hillsborough, the Southwest Florida Blood Bank and on the Board of Visitors of Davidson College. He participated in leadership of Boy Scout Troop 23. With all of this he still gave full support to the myriad activities of his growing family and was a Meals on Wheels volunteer for ten years after retirement. Sandy was a sportsman who enjoyed camaraderie with friends on the tennis court and golf course. Survivors include two daughters, Lindley M. Small and husband Warren of Atlanta, Ga, and Anne G. Moffett and husband Gordon Wright of Eugene, Ore.; three grandsons, Alex, Stuart and Taylor Small; a sister, Mary Louise Hutcheson ’38 of Roanoke, Va., and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. Sandy was preceded in death by his beloved wife of forty-nine years, Barbara Anderson Moffett; his son, A. S. Moffett, Jr.; and his twin brother, J. Polk G, Moffett ’37.
William F. French, Sr. ’40 of Lumberton, N.C. died December 5, 2005. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II. He was co-owner of Robeson Office Supplies for forty-five years and was a former chairman of the Robeson County Board of Elections. He was a member of the Chestnut Street United Methodist Church, where he served on the board of trustees, the administrative board as Sunday school superintendent, and as co-chairman of the “Space Program.” He was a charter member of the Joy Class. He was preceded in death by his wife of forty-seven years, Doris French, and his wife of eleven years, Winifred French. Survivors include a son, Bill French, Jr., 508 W. 24th St., Lumberton, N.C. 28358; a daughter Mary F. Crofton, a sister, Eleanor F. Lorman; four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Charles Dandridge Isom ’40 of Saint Augustine, Fla., formerly of Beaufort, Raleigh, and Charlotte, died November 9, 2006. A veteran of World War II, he served in the United States Army for thirty-seven years and retired at the rank of colonel. He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Parish, Saint Augustine, Fla., and was a former member of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Beaufort, N.C. Survivors include wife, Emily Ward Isom; daughters, Dolly Isom Daniel of Hurdle Mills, N.C, Isabella Isom Linton of Rockingham, N.C.; daughter-in-law, Diane Isom of Carthage, N.C.; stepson, Robert W. Smith of Grifton, N.C.; stepdaughters, Carmen Smith Ewing of Nags Head, N.C., Speight Smith Mulcahy of Enterprise, Ala.; sister, Jane Isom Albright of Sun City West, Ariz.; grandchildren and great-grandchildren. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son Charles D. Isom III.
Robert Hancock Wood ’40 of Sewanee, Tenn. and Lewisburg, W.Va., died in February 2006. He was a retired educator at Sewanee Academy: head of math department, 1957-1981; athletic director, 1953-1970; backetball coach, 1948-1967. He was preceded in death by his wife, Myra Sharp Wood. Survivors include his three children, Robert H. “Buck” Wood, P.O. Box 2623, Crossville, Tenn. 38555; Danny E. Wood of Lewisville, W.Va., and Judith Miree Wood of Sewanee; six grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and a brother, Dr. William W. Wood of Athens, Ohio.
William Hugh Hamilton, Jr., M.D., ’41, of Spartanburg, S.C., died July 12, 2006. He received his degree from the Medical College of South Carolina in September 1944. Dr. He interned and completed his first residency in internal medicine in St. Louis, Mo., City Hospital. He served in the U.S. Army Medical Corps as Chief of Medicine, 250th Station Hospital, Regensburg, Germany, 1946-1948. He returned to Grady Memorial Hospital, Atlanta, Ga., for his residency in pathology for one year and then finished two years of internal medicine residency at the Lawson V.A. Hospital under Emory University School of Medicine before beginning practice in Spartanburg, S.C. He was recalled to active duty with the U.S. Army Medical Corps as chief of cardiology and chief of gastroenterology at Ft. Bragg Army Hospital, 1950-1951. He founded Piedmont Internal Medicine Association of Spartanburg, S.C. He organized, developed, and directed Pulmonary Function Laboratory and Respiratory and Inhalation Therapy Services for Spartanburg General Hospital and Mary Black Hospital. He brought twelve-lead electrocardiography to Spartanburg. A member of the First Presbyterian Church of Spartanburg and the Men’s Bible Class, he was a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church, U.S., since 1953. He was commissioner from Enoree Presbytery to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, U.S., in 1955. For many years he was an active member of the choir of the First Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Jaycees, Sertoma, SPEBSQSA, Spartanburg County Medical Society, South Carolina Medical Association, American Medical Association, American Diabetes Association, American Thoracic Society, American Society of Internal Medicine, S.C. Thoracic Society, and numerous others. He was a devoted husband, father, grandfather, and friend; and an avid fisherman, golfer, photographer, and woodcrafter. Survivors include his wife, Nanette Sherard Hamilton, 110 Summit Hills Dr. Apt. 207, Spartanburg, S.C. 29307-1544, whom he married in 1945; two daughters, Sheree Ansley of Spartanburg, S.C. and Paige Parsons and her husband Clifford D. Parsons of Columbia, S.C.; a son, the Rev. Dr. W. H. Hugh Hamilton, III and his wife Sandy of Pensacola, Fla.; and seven grandchildren.
Charles Stanton Field Jr. ’42 of Shuqualak, Miss., died November 9, 2006. He graduated from Columbia Military Academy in Columbia, Tenn., and attended Davidson College and Mississippi State University. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army Signal Corps and served in World War II. Following the war, he returned home to Calyx, Miss., and farmed cattle and timber for many years. He was preceded in death by his parents; grandparents and his wife of forty-eight years, Hazel Weir Field and his second wife, Ruth Francys Temple Field. Survivors include his sons, Charles Stanton Field III of Albuquerque, N.M. and Robert Williams Field of Calyx, Miss.; a daughter-in-law, Margie Tulley Field of Calyx; grandchildren, Laura Field Nelson, Karen Field Cole, Michelle Field Elmore , and Walter Williams Field; great-grandchildren, Lindsey Karen Nelson, William Keith Nelson, Robert Gentry Elmore, and John Stanton Cole; step-daughters, Carol Lynn Koutroulis and Marge Ann Revere.
Dr. Richard H. Graham ’42 of Lenoir, N.C., died October 18, 2006. He earned his D.D.S. from Emory University. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church in Lenoir. He participated actively and held numerous offices in the following: The First United Methodist Church, Boy Scouts of America, N.C. Dental Society, and Kiwanis International. He was a founding director of Caldwell Savings Bank (now First Citizens). He was a United States Navy veteran. Survivors include his wife, Jane Sherman Graham, 357 Tremont Park Cir. SE, Lenoir, N.C. 28645; sons Richard H. Graham Jr. and wife Melanie of Milwaukee, Wis., Stephen H. Graham and wife Anne of Lexington, Ky.; a daughter, Karen G. Boddie and husband Lee W. of Visalia, Calif.; one sister, Patsy Hopfenberg and husband Hal of Raleigh, N.C.; and six grandchildren. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one son, Michael T. Graham ’83.
Augustus “Gus” McLean ’42 of Murfreesboro, N.C., died August 14, 2006. He earned his M.D. from the Medical College of Virginia. He served as a physician in the Army during World War II. At Davidson, he was a member of Phi Delta Fraternity. He served as a physician at several U.S. Army hospitals during World War II. In 1950 he moved to Murfreesboro, N.C., where he served as a family physician. He was active in the Murfreesboro United Methodist Church, served on numerous medical boards and was a charter member of the Tri-County airport Authority board. Survivors include his wife Margaret “Spec” Stephenson McLean, P.O. Box 98, Murfreesboro, N.C. 27855; sisters Dot McCormick of St. Pauls, N.C. and Hattie Parker of Chapel Hill, N.C.; brother, Joe McLean ’48 Goldsboro, N.C.; daughters, Peggy Womble of Goldsboro, N.C., Pat Zook of Chapel Hill, N.C., and Gay Engelbrecht of Durham, N.C.; sons, Sandy McLean ’74 of Greenville, S.C., and Ben McLean of Murfreesboro, N.C. ; 14 grandchildren and two-step-grandchildren.
Philip T. Withers III ’46 of Charlotte, N.C. died July 16, 2006. He attended Davidson before serving in the U.S. Navy as seaman second class during World War II. Post military service, he graduated from The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill with a B.A. in business in 1950 and attended The Wharton School of Finance’s Executive Program in 1953. He was employed at R.S. Dickson and Co., Dean Witter Reynolds, and Previews Real Estate. Mr. Withers, an Eagle Scout, was an accomplished pilot and enjoyed playing tennis with his two sons. He was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Charlotte, N.C. In addition to his parents, preceding him in death was his brother, William Lane Withers of Gastonia, N.C., and sisters, Florence Reinhardt of Virginia Beach, Va., and Francis Findlay of Gastonia, N.C. He is survived by his sons, Philip Thornton Withers V and George Geyer Adams Withers; daughter-in-law, Leta Morris Withers; grandsons, George Geyer Adams Withers, Jr., Charles Sullivan Withers and Payson William Withers; sister, Florence Reinhart of Virginia Beach, Va; as well as many nieces and nephews.
William Styron ’46 of Roxbury, Conn., died November 1, 2006. He was the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Confessions of Nat Turner and other novels whose explorations of the darkest corners of the human mind and experience were charged by his own near-suicidal demon. He also wrote Sophie's Choice, the award-winning novel about a Holocaust survivor from Poland, and A Tidewater Morning, a collection of fiction pieces. He also published a book of essays, “This Quiet Dust,” and the best-selling memoir “Darkness Visible,” in which he recalled nearly taking his own life. Prior to World War II, he attended Davidson for a year and in 1986 Davidson awarded him the Honorary Doctor of Literature degree. He served as a lieutenant in the Marines during World War II and in 1945 was stationed in Okinawa. After the war, he graduated from Duke University and moved to New York, where he worked briefly as a copy editor at McGraw-Hill until the publisher fired him “for slovenly appearance, not wearing a hat, and reading the New York Post.” He was recalled to the Marines in 1951, just as Lie Down in Darkness was being published, and his second book—The Long March—drew on his experiences at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He took a lengthy tour of Europe after his discharge, offering moral and literary support for the founding of The Paris Review and meeting his wife, the poet Rosa Burgunder, 12 Rucum Rd., Roxbury, Conn. 06783, with whom he had four children, Susanna, Paula Claire, and Thomas.
O.G. Allen Jr. ’48 passed away August 8, 2006. His higher education included both a bachelor's degree in biology from Davidson College and a master’s in business administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A veteran of the U.S. Army, he served in China during World War II. He served as secretary and treasurer of Hine-Bagby Co. from 1954 to 1982. He was on the board of the Menswear Retailers of America and also served as president of the North and South Carolina Men’s Retail Association. He was also a member of the Jaycees and the Civitan Club. He used his gift and love of music by singing in the First Baptist Church choir for forty years and by singing in the Winston-Salem Singer’s Guild for several years. While he was able, he attended Sunday school and served on the board of deacons. He was an avid golfer, and one of his joys was a good round of golf. Survivors include his wife, Emily Hine Allen, 1466 Old Town Rd, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27106; two daughters, Betsy Hood and her husband, William, of Raleigh and Marty Cook and her husband, Jim, of Winston-Salem; grandsons David Hood and wife, Lauren, Ben Hood and Preston Cook; and granddaughter Lesley Cook. He was predeceased by his brother, R.Worth Allen; and is survived by several nieces and nephews.
Jerrold S. “Jerry” Robinson ’48 of Raleigh, N.C., died September 26, 2006. At Davidson, he was captain of the tennis team, head cheerleader, student council, elected to Omicron Delta Kappa; and Sigma Phi Epsilon, social fraternity. He was a veteran of World War II, serving in the 34th Infantry Division in both Italy and Africa. He first worked for General Motors, and then for thirty-seven years with Thompson Cadillac and Oldsmobile where he served in several positions, including general sales manager. He served on the board of directors of the Raleigh YMCA, was active in Davidson alumni affairs, was instrumental in the founding of the N.C. Tennis Foundation and the Raleigh Racquet Club where he remained a charter member. He was inducted into the N.C. Tennis Hall of Fame in 1994. He was a faithful member of Hayes-Barton United Methodist Church. Survivors include his wife of fifty-six years, Lynn Watlington Robinson; two children, Laura Lynn R. Wadlington of Morristown, Tenn. and a son, Jerrold S. Robinson, Jr. of Rocky Mount, N.C.; two grandsons ; and his sister, Eloise R. Cherry of Wilmington, N.C.
William H. “Pop” Bowman ’49 of Clinton, N.C., died June 20, 2006. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army Air Force, having flown combat missions as a B-17 bombardier from a base in East Anglia, England. He was retired from Sears Roebuck, was a ruling elder at Wytheville Presbyterian Church and was president of the Wytheville Rotary Club. He was preceded in death by his wife, Jean Craig Bowman. Survivors include two sons, William Hammond Bowman III, P.O. Box 8476, Columbia, S.C. 29201; and George Dick Bowman of Charlotte, N.C.; two daughters, Mary Bowman Kayser and Jean Craig Bowman, both of Denver, N.C.; a brother, Eugene H. Bowman of Clover, S.C.; a sister, Susie Bowman Shannon of Palm Springs, Calif.; grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Dr. Ralph J. “Buck” Brandon, DDS ’49, of Punta Gorda, Fla., died August 16, 2006. He was a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. He moved from Fort Worth, Texas, to Punta Gorda in 1954, serving Charlotte County for fifty-two years with his dental practice. He was the first oral surgeon in Charlotte County, and for many years he was the only dentist in Charlotte County. Dr. Brandon, along with Dr. Michael Alpern and Dr. Douglas Nuelle, developed the polycentric hinge joint articulator for the treatment of TMJ, and the construction of all dental and orthodontic appliances. He lectured along with Dr. Alpern and Dr. Nuelle in several states and in Madrid, Spain. Dr. Brandon also co-authored the major dental/orthodontic textbook Ortho Evolution. He was a member of the American Dental Association, the Florida Dental Association, the Charlotte County Dental Society, the Southern Academy of Oral Surgeons, the Fellow International College of Dentistry, Fellow American College of Dentistry, and an honorary member of the Gestoma Dental Group. He was also a member of the Punta Gorda City Council and served on the Housing Authority Board. He was a charter staff member of the Peace River Regional Medical Center in Port Charlotte, Fla. He was an avid golfer, hunter and fisherman. He was a master woodworker and enjoyed building furniture for family and friends. Survivors include his wife of fifty-four years, Betty Brandon, 516 W. Palm Ave, Punta Gorda; 33950; daughters, Karen (Paul) Alessandroni, Susan (Jerry) Warren, and Leslie (Cam) Akerman of Los Gatos, Calif.; grandchildren, Leah Alessandroni, Whitney and Brandon Warren, Lindsay, Kristen and Cameron Ackerman. He was preceded in death by his granddaughter, Ashley Warren.
The Rev. Norman Martin MacDowell Sr. ’49 of Oxford, N.C. died August 3, 2006. At the beginning of World War II, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy. As an aviation mechanic he was assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill. He was on board ship during many of the major battles of the Pacific. Toward the close of the war, the ship’s chaplain chose Norman to enter the V-12 program for chaplaincy training at Oberlin College. He was commissioned lieutenant in the Chaplain Corps July 1, 1956. He earned his B.D. from Union Theological Seminary in Richmond, Va. He began his ministry at Bethany Presbyterian Church. He was called to Gainesville, Fla. where he was organizing pastor of the Highlands Presbyterian Church, then was called to Union Road Presbyterian Church in Gastonia. The First Presbyterian Church of Salisbury called Norman as associate pastor and he served until 1971 when he became pastor of Oxford Presbyterian Church. He retired in June of 1986. The title of pastor emeritus was given by the Session of the Oxford Presbyterian Church, November 1992. In the history of the Oxford church, Norman is the first pastor to be so named. For several years, Norman served as chaplain of the Oxford Fire Department. He worked with Area Congregations in Ministry in its initial organization. Following retirement, Norman served as stated supply of the Warrenton Church, 1987–1994. He served Timothy Darling Presbyterian Church as pulpit supply on various occasions throughout the years and was moderator of the session. Survivors include his wife of sixty years, Miriam Kuhn MacDowell; two sons, James Robin MacDowell of Brassfield Twp. Granville County and by Dr. Norman Martin MacDowell Jr., ’73 of Rockford, Ill. ; three grandchildren, Paul Martin MacDowell, Sarah Maurine MacDowell and Rachel Marie MacDowell, all of Rockford. Two brothers survive: Dean V. MacDowell, Calif., and David W. MacDowell, Maui, Hawaii. One brother is deceased: Donald E. MacDowell.
Leigh Malcolm ’50 of Monroe, N.C. died January 22, 2006. He was retired from Kanawha Insurance Co. Survivors include his wife, Alice Hobson Malcolm, 1207 Harvard St., Monroe, N.C. 27112
William Arnold “Arnie” Covell ’51 of Pensacola, Fla., died September 21, 2006. He completed medical school at Bowman Gray School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, N.C., in 1955, and served as captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corp until he was honorably discharged in 1958. After completing his residency in radiology at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem, he spent a year on staff at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Fla., and a year practicing radiology in Panama City, Fla. In 1963 He joined B.D. Rhea, M.D. and J.J. Baehr, M.D. in radiology practice in Pensacola and at Baptist Hospital, where he served a term as chief of staff. He retired in 1994 to enjoy family, Grayton Beach, gardening, building and repairing docks and walkways, and sharing stories with family and friends. Arnie was a member of Trinity Presbyterian Church, serving as deacon and elder. He was preceded in death by his parents, A.B. (Pat) and Gladys Mosley Covell, infant daughter Jan Claire and sister Claire Covell Jernigan. Survivors include his wife of fifty-one years, Bonnie Blue Covell, 1941 Seville Drive, Pensacola, Fla. 32503; four children: son William Reid (Bill) and wife Peggy of Bartlesville, Okla.; daughter Jean Covell Silva ’83 and husband Joe of Panama City, son James Patrick (Jim) and wife Michelle of Gulf Breeze; and son Scott McNeill ’91 of Grayton Beach, Fla.; seven grandchildren, Joey, Katherine, Sam, Tristan, Bailey, Sarah and John; cousin Ann Stinson Robinson of DeFuniak Springs and her two children; and six nieces and nephews.
Thompson Dabney ’51 of Jackson, Tenn., died February 27, 2006. He attended Southwestern College (now Rhodes) in Memphis and Davidson. He was president of W.P. Dabney & Son Furniture Company for thirty years, also served as president of the Jackson Rotary Club and on the boards of directors for National Bank of Commerce/Union Planters (now Regions), YMCA, Youth Town, Chamber of Commerce, and the West Tennessee Health Care Foundation. He was a member of Evangelical Community Church. He also developed eight subdivisions in North Jackson. He loved nature, being outdoors and working on his farms. He was an avid boater and enjoyed traveling with his wife and family. He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather and devoted Christian. Survivors include his wife of fifty-five years, Sally Wilder Dabney, 10 Windwood Hill Dr., Jackson, Tenn. 39303; children and grandchildren, Rhea and Marsha Dabney, Emily and William; Edward and Colleen Dabney, Elaine & Ben Watkins, Rebecca, Madeline and Elizabeth; and Bill and Wren Dabney, Trip, Alison, Sally Kate and Tad. Surviving also are his sister and brother-in-law, Douglas and Emily Dabney Booth and their children, Janice and Dave Manor and Tricia and Jim Martin. He was preceded in death by his parents, Rhea and Emily Thompson Dabney and by his brother, William Rhea Dabney ’44, who died while serving his country during World War II.
Billy Ray Rabb ’52 died on February 24, 2006. He suffered a stroke six years ago, with severely limited mobility since. He had worked since Davidson days with Firestone, then as a factory representative for Ford for many years. Later the family moved to Lexington where he was the Ford dealer for some time. Survivors include his wife, Joyce Rabb, 420 Salem St., Apt G, Lexington, N.C. 27292; one daughter, Angela Dowd, and a grandson Bryant, in Raleigh.
Hervey E Averette, M.D. ’54 of Miami, Fla., died July 1, 2005. At the time of his death, he was a clinical professor of gynecological oncology at the University of Miami. He was a former American Cancer Society Professor of Clinical Oncology, Sylvester Professor, and director of the Division of Gynecologic Oncology, University of Miami School of Medicine. He earned his M.D. from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in 1958. He completed his residency training in obstetrics and gynecology in 1963 and his fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of Miami School of Medicine-Jackson Memorial Medical Center in 1965. Since that time, he served on the full-time faculty of the University of Miami. He was one of the founding fathers of the Gynecologic Oncology Board, and for many years had been a national leader in the surgical management of gynecologic cancers. He was president of the Florida Society of Gynecologic Oncologists in 1972. He was a member of the American Cancer Society’s National Breast Cancer Task Force of Gynecologic Cancer. Memberships in 28 medical organizations included: the American Gynecologic and Obstetrical Society, the Society of Pelvic Surgeons, and the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists. He has been on the editorial board of six, peer-reviewed journals and was associate editor of the Journal of Cancer. He was author and co-author of over 300 scientific publications. He was an avid sailor for his entire life. Survivors include his wife, Barkley Averette, 5982 Paradise Point Dr., Royal Harbour Yacht Club, Miami, Fla. 33157; daughters, Ellen Reese and Virginia Fox; and five grandchildren: Christopher Finn, Michael Reese, Avery, Julia, and Parker Fox.
Dr. James A. Sasser ’55 of Titusville, Fla., died on March 17, 2006. He was a graduate of Davidson College and the Medical College of South Carolina. He trained in general surgery at Jackson Memorial Hospital and the Veterans Hospital in Miami, Fla., He practiced general surgery and medicine in the Titusville area for thirty-four years. Survivors include his wife, Lynn Sasser, 1691 Riverside Dr, Titusville, Fla. 32780-4729; children, James A. Sasser III ’82 and wife Lisa, Joy A. Ryan and husband Mark, Kim McDonagh and husband Padraig; and grandchildren, Elizabeth and Anna Sasser and Kaelyn McDonagh. He also is survived by his brothers, Phillip Sasser, Esq., ’57 and Drs. Marshall ’58 and Charles Sasser ’63.
Dr. Charles Stitt Drummond Jr. ’58, of Richmond, passed away October 29, 2006. Survivors include his former wife, Sarah Easley Drummond; daughter, Elizabeth Drummond Davis ’89 and her husband, Bruce, P.O. Box 221, Gibson Island, Md. 21056; two sons, Dr. Charles Stitt Drummond, III and his wife, Cindy, and Dr. Fitzgerald Easley Drummond and his wife, Meredith; and six grandchildren. He graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1962. He served his country in the Army, where he was a captain in Vietnam. He was decorated with the Bronze Star for meritorious service and was awarded the Combat Medical Badge. He practiced surgery for over twenty-three years in the Richmond area. He served on numerous boards of hospitals including board of directors, chief of surgery and president of the medical staff at St. Luke’s Hospital, president of medical staff, Grace Hospital, and board of directors at McGuire Clinic. He was a fellow to the American College of Surgery, a member of the Richmond Academy of Medicine, Medical Society of Virginia, Virginia Surgical Society and the Humera Society. Dr. Drummond was a member of the River Road Church, Baptist, where he served on the board of deacons, the board of administration and the music committee. He was a member of the Kiwanis Club and a volunteer at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens.
Wiley Clenon Dees ’63 died on October 26, 1994. He played football at Davidson. He later graduated from Atlantic Christian College He was a banker. Survivors include his mother, Mrs. Catherine P. Dees, 303 Brentwood Dr., Wilson, N.C. 27893, and a sister, Jenny L. Dees.
Robert David Miller ’64 died July 13 in Parker, Colo., after a long battle with cancer. At Davidson, he was a member of Sigma Nu social fraternity. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. from Duke University. He was a distinguished professor of forensic psychiatry in the schools of medicine and law at the University of Colorado in Denver. While at Duke, he became a music critic for the Durham Herald and was interested in the companionship and loyalty of students, friends, and his two sheep dogs. His ashes were broadcast from the shore of Atlantic Beach, N. C., a place he always loved.
Richard S. Spencer, Jr. ’68 of Fort Worth, Texas, died on September 27, 2006. He was a U.S. Army veteran of the Vietnam War. He was a retired travel consultant and was manager of Travel Service Everywhere. He attended St. Stephen Presbyterian Church where he was a member of the choir, served as a deacon and elder, and was on several committees. Survivors are two brothers, Jack Spencer of Black Mountain, N.C. and David Spencer of Columbia, S.C.; two sisters, Marjorie Madsen of Langaa, Denmark, and Sallie Honeycutt, 282 Tree Line Dr., Walnut Shade, Mo. 65771.
Carroll Dean Ensley ’75 passed away August 6, 2006, at the John F. Keever Jr. Solace Center following a brief battle with cancer. While at Davidson, he excelled in drama and received the Southeast Debate Championship first place award. He received a master’s in psychology from Georgia State University. While earning an additional graduate degree in art and interior design from the prestigious Pratt Institute, New York City, he managed a successful Cajun restaurant. Following his graduation from Pratt, he developed and owned a progressive interior design business in New York City for eight years. His work included complete renovation and decoration of addresses on Central Park East, Sutton Place and SoHo. He redesigned the historic area of Edgefield in Nashville, Tenn., restoring ten homes in that well-known city district. For the last twenty years, he maintained an art studio in his home in North Asheville. He assisted in the opening of the Blue Ridge Room of the Grove Park Inn. He was a longtime member of the Cathedral of All Souls, where he was a member of the adult choir and Cathedral Arts Commission. Additionally, he was a member of the Church of the Advocate, a parish dedicated to serving the homeless, the vulnerable, and the street people of Asheville and Buncombe County. He was a graduate of the EfM (Education for Ministry), a program of theological education presented by the School of Theology of the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. Completion of the program requires four years, during which participants study the Old and New Testaments, church history, liturgy and 20th century theology. He was awarded his diploma shortly before his death. Survivors include his partner of many years, Dr. Ernest T. Ahl, Jr.; mother, Juanita Edwards Ensley Maddox; brother, Curtis A. Ensley; aunt, Carolyn Fulbright; two nephews; numerous cousins and many friends.
Amanda Susan Hall ’79 died October 1, 2006, after an extended illness. After Davidson, Amanda received her master’s from Queens College.She consulted internationally for Electronic Data Systems, Plano, Texas, and previously was director of strategic planning with Piedmont Natural Gas. Amanda, a passionate horse lover, was an avid foxhunter with both Shamrock Hounds and Shakerag Hounds, where she served as Honorary Whipper-In. She is survived by her husband, Jim Huneycutt, 5295 Elberton Hwy, Hartwell, Ga. 30643-5560; mother, Betty Jane Hall; brother, Christopher D. Hall; and sister, DruAnne C. Brunson.
Major David G. Taylor, Jr. ’91, U.S. Army Infantry, was killed in action in Baghdad, Iraq, on October 22, 2006. He was the Operations Officer of 2/6th Infantry Battalion of Baumholder, Germany. He deployed from Heidelberg, Germany in January 2006 with V Corps. Since his family traveled the globe with the military, Taylor found his grandparents’ farm in Wake County an anchor. As a teenager, he spent summers driving tractors around John and Doris Overman’s tobacco and dairy farm. That's where he earned enough Boy Scout badges to become an Eagle Scout at age 13, his mother said. He attended Davidson on an ROTC scholarship and was designated a Distinguished Military Student. He was a member of Kappa Sigma social fraternity. He became an officer in the Army after graduation and planned to spend his career with the military. Survivors include his wife, Michelle Thresher Taylor, 4113 DeLeon St., Tampa, Fla. 33609, his four month old son, Jacob David Jude Taylor; parents, Kay and David Taylor of London, England; brother, John K. Taylor of Yokosuka, Japan; maternal grandmother, Mrs. Doris G. Overman, 8905 Goodwin Rd., Apex, N.C. 27502. The Major David G. Taylor, Jr. Memorial Fund has been established at Davidson College. Memorials may be sent to Davidson College, Box 7177, Davidson, N.C. 28035.
Chad H. Richardson ’96 of King George, Va., died August 17, 2006. He worked for the Joint Analysis Center at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division. He did research at Johns Hopkins University during an internship. He played football at Davidson and was named to the Southern Conference Academic Honor Roll. Survivors include a daughter, Crystal Goodrich; his mother, Linda S. Richardson, P.O. Box 800, King George, Va. 22485; his father, Earl L. Richardson; a brother, Kraig Richardson; and his paternal grandmother, Annie R. Richardson.