Rick Bender, Sports Information
DAVIDSON, N.C. -- The Davidson football team kicked off its 2005 home schedule on Saturday, September 10, 2005 when it hosted Division III Greensboro College. The college christened the expanded Richardson Stadium by setting a school record with six interceptions, three by Patrick FitzGerald '08, as the Wildcats rolled to a 32-7 victory. The win ended a four-game losing streak for Davidson (1-1), while the Pride (0-1) lost its season opener. The college also dedicated the expanded facilities at Richardson Stadium, now in its 80th football season.
Over 180 alumni, parents and friends made donations to make the Wilson Terrace, Doe Weight Room, Hubbard Family Locker Room and Don Bryant Press Box come to fruition. The official capacity of the stadium is now 5,000, nearly double its previous size. The weight room has 5,000 square feet of space and is equipped with free-weight equipment available to all the school’s students and staff. While the old press box was refurbished for coaches and radio crews, the additional press box has seating for 28 media and operations staff members.
Davidson first played football on the site originally known as the Richardson Athletic Field for one game in 1923 -- a 7-0 homecoming victory over The Citadel. Stadium seating made from brick and concrete was added the following year with enough room for for 8,000 fans. Temporary bleachers were added to expand the capacity to 10,000-11,000. In 1965, the stadium underwent renovations to add a visitor's locker room, fiberglass seats and a glass-enclosed press box which still stands to this day. Lights were installed in 1991, and the Irwin Belk Track was laid in the summer of 1999, replacing the old cinder track.
# # #