Davidson evaluates each need-based financial aid application according to these guiding principles:
- The student and his or her family have the primary responsibility for college costs, to the extent of their ability.
- Financial ability may be determined through assessment of information provided on the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Financial need is the estimated annual cost of attending Davidson minus the family's estimated annual contribution.
- Financial aid packages typically include a combination of grants, scholarships, and student employment.
Need-based aid applicants must notify us of the amount and source of all non-Davidson awards that they receive. As a rule, outside awards will replace rather than augment the need-based financial aid package we have offered.
If you wish to be considered for need-based financial aid, you and your family must reapply each year.
To apply for need-based financial aid you must file these on-line forms by April 15
- College Scholarship Service (CSS) Financial Aid PROFILE
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the 2013-14 FAFSA on-line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ using your 2012 federal tax return data. Davidson’s federal code is 002918.
- CSS Noncustodial PROFILE
(if parents are separated or divorced)
- When you complete the PROFILE, the College Board will provide instructions regarding the Noncustodial PROFILE application process. This information must be shared with your noncustodial parent.
Submit these supporting documents to the College Board’s IDOC service by May 1
Once your online PROFILE application has been submitted, instructions for mailing paper documents to the CollegeBoard will be sent to you from the CollegeBoard.
- Parents’ and student’s signed 2012 federal income tax returns (all forms and schedules) and W-2 forms
- Noncustodial parent’s signed 2012 federal income tax return (all forms and schedules) and W-2 forms, if parents are divorced or separated*
- Business/Farm Supplement, if parent(s) own(s) a business and/or farm*
- Corporate/partnership 2012 tax return complete with all schedules, if parent(s) own(s) a corporation or partnership*
* Only if requested
Families who file aid application materials after the published deadlines are subject to a reduction in the college grant portion of the student's award. This reduction ranges from $500 for being no more than one month late in submitting required materials to $1,500 for being more than two months late.
Other forms of financial assistance
- Merit-based scholarship renewal
Renewed automatically if you have maintained the required cumulative GPA stated in initial award letter
- Athletic grant renewal
Renewed automatically if you will continue to participate in your sport as required by the Athletics Department; Davidson College Athletics Financial Aid Agreement will be sent to you in late spring
Not offered as part of a need-based financial aid package, and not automatically renewed if you have had a loan in the past. You may apply each year for loans; information will be sent with your need-based award letter. Loans should be applied for by the due date of fall bill. If you are not applying for need-based financial aid you may request a packet of loan information from Anna Stovall (firstname.lastname@example.org) after May 15, 2013
What happens next
During the months of June and July financial aid award letters will be mailed to all applicants who have submitted a complete Financial Aid application.
The Business Services Office will mail bills for the fall semester in late July with a due date of August 15. Bills will reflect all fall charges and all fall financial aid awarded. Loans will be reflected only if they have been applied for by mid-July.