Davidson College Library Gift-in-Kind Donation Policy
The Davidson College Library welcomes gifts of books and other materials (gifts-in-kind) that support the curriculum and the research needs of students and faculty members; we also accept materials related to the college and its history.
Policy on Accepting Gifts
Due to a space shortage in the library and the high costs associated with processing, storing, and preserving materials, the library can only accept items that meet current and anticipated curricular and research needs or that contribute to the historical record of the college. We reserve the right to decline gifts of materials that do not meet current collection goals and policies.
All donations must be pre-approved by a collection development librarian prior to delivery. Donors are also required to complete a donation form.
The library cannot appraise gifts for tax purposes. We will acknowledge receipt of pre-approved gifts but cannot assign actual values for materials. Donors who require this information should arrange for the materials to be appraised prior to donating them to the library. Donors are responsible for all appraisal costs.
Donors are responsible for packing and shipping/delivering gifts-in kind and for fees related to shipping, insurance, and delivery.
Donors should be aware that gifts-in-kind accepted by the library become the property of Davidson College, and the library reserves the right to determine matters related to the retention, processing, shelving location, use, preservation, and possible disposition of the material. For the items it accepts, the library will make every effort to put them to good use; items that we do not keep will be offered to another library or organization (such as Better World Books) or recycled.
Gifts should support the college's curricular and research needs; in most cases, they should also be scholarly in nature.
With the exception of Davidson publications, we usually do not accept:
- Duplicate copies of materials already held by the library
- Damaged books (including books with evidence of water damage, insect damage, or mold)
- Superseded or outdated editions
- Computer and software manuals
- Books with highlighting, underlining, or annotations
- Self-published books
- Advance reading copies and uncorrected proofs
- Condensed books
- Older, popular, trade paperbacks
- Children's books
- VHS tapes
- Vinyl recordings
- Single issues and back runs of journals and magazines
Procedures for Donating Materials to the Library
- Please check the library catalog, Davidson Library WorldCat, to confirm that the items are not currently in our collection.
- Please prepare and submit a list of all materials and include title, author, edition (if any), and year of publication for each item. Please email or mail your list to Susanna Boylston. For donations of materials related to the college's history -- college publications, photographs, manuscripts, and other records -- please contact the College Archivist, Jan Blodgett.
Library staff will review the list, identify items that we need, and contact you. We cannot accept donations unless they have been pre-approved by a collection development librarian. The only exceptions to this policy are the following:
- Donations of materials written by Davidson authors (alumni, faculty, staff) that meet the guidelines outlined above do not require pre-approval.
- Donors visiting the library in person may donate up to five items without prior approval. Donors must still complete the Gift-in-Kind Donation Form.
- Complete a Gift-in-Kind Donation Form and send it, along with the pre-approved titles, to:
Susanna Boylston, Asst. Director for Information Literacy & Content Selection
Davidson College Library
209 Ridge Rd.
Davidson, NC 28035-7200
- Please do not send books to or leave boxes of books at the library unless they have been pre-approved. We cannot accept or acknowledge materials that have not been pre-approved as part of the process outlined in steps 1-3, above.