The Economics Department provides grants and awards to provide students the ability to enrich their education and experience. Below are a few examples of the awards and grants that are given each year:
Ernest Finney Patterson Award
The Ernest Finney Patterson Awards recognize and honor the life of Ernest Finney Patterson, beloved professor of economics at Davidson College (1957-1979) and social activist. The Department of Economics will grant up to a total of $1,200 a year to subsidize formal study, research, field work, or community service by currently enrolled students at Davidson College that promotes improving society and bettering the human condition consistent with the personal ideals of Professor Patterson. The winner(s) of the grant will also receive a copy of Dr. Patterson's book of poetry, Poems for the People.
A.K. Phifer Award
The A.K. Phifer Award is awarded to the top junior Economics major. The Phifer Award is awarded in the Spring Semester at the Convocation ceremony.
Omicron Delta Epsilon Honor Society (ODE)
Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE), the international honor society in Economics, was founded in 1963 as a result of the merger of Omicron Delta Gamma (founded 1915) and Omicron Chi Epsilon (founded 1955). Click here to go to the ODE national web page. The Davidson chapter of ODE was inaugurated in 1966.
Among the principle objectives of ODE are:
- To confer distinction for high scholastic achievement in economics
- To promote and stimulate interest in economic problems and issues
- To promote fellowship among students and faculty who share a common interest in economic analysis and policy
The minimum requirements for admission for undergraduates are:
- Completion of 12 semester hours of economics courses
- Average grade of ‘B' in both economics courses as well as in all courses
- Local chapters can impose more stringent requirements and Davidson College has historically done so.
To visit the International ODE website, please click here.